Do you Believe In God

• Thread starter Thread starter TheHig
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1K
  • Views Views 63K

What would you Describe your Self As ?

• Athiest

Votes: 230 51.7%
  • Religous (what ever Religion that May be)

Votes: 135 30.3%
  • Agnostic

Votes: 72 16.2%
  • Thiest

Votes: 8 1.8%

• Total voters
The amount of wars that were started in the name of "religion" is irrelevant. For Christianity at least, if the people fighting for the religion actually stopped to read and understand it's bible then it wouldn't have happened. You can't use the amount of wars that Christianity has played a part in as a way of demonizing the religion in any way.

Who's demonising religion? I'm merely pointing out the flaws in a statement.

John Lennox, arguably the greatest modern day philosopher/mathematician, believes in god. In his debates with Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens, two of the most respected scientists/philosophers right now, he has left them embarrassed.
http://johnlennox.org/index.php/en/

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

Faith - A trust in the intentions or abilities of a person, object, or belief in spite of a lack of knowledge in the person, object, or belief.

Therefore... Faith = Ignorance.

I'm not telling them what to believe in, if people want to believe in something they can.

So all faith is ignorant? So if you are married, and have faith in your wife, are you ignorant?
No, you have reason to have faith. All faith is not blind faith, that's a fallacy that I've been hearing a lot lately.

John Lennox, arguably the greatest modern day philosopher/mathematician, believes in god. In his debates with Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens, two of the most respected scientists/philosophers right now, he has left them embarrassed.
http://johnlennox.org/index.php/en/

Do you have a link to a video/audio/transcript of those debates they'd be interesting to look into.

So all faith is ignorant? So if you are married, and have faith in your wife, are you ignorant?
No, you have reason to have faith. All faith is not blind faith, that's a fallacy that I've been hearing a lot lately.

That's a different definition of faith, the faith which I defined is what I was referring too as ignorance.

I simply don't know lol :D Sometimes i think that it's good to believe in God, other times i think religion is a terrible thing. :) Im on a gap between believing in God and being Atheist. I never go to church, read the bible or do any religious stuff.

Just thought I'd point out that this is utterly incorrect. It is a common myth that Einstein was a theist. In fact, there are many quotes from him explicitly stating that he does NOT believe in God, or at very least not in the form everyone expects. In a letter in 1954, he said "I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly.” Clear enough?

In fact, with Einstein you could craft a very effective anti-religion, or at least anti-Christian, view of the world. To quote: "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still purely primitive, legends which are nevertheless pretty childish." A pretty damning verdict, I'd say.

This is just something that gets my goat, sorry for being so pedantic about it. And even if we DID count Einstein as a theist, you'd have to disregard just about every other great scientist of modern times. Nikola Tesla, Santiago Cajal, O.W. Holmes, et cetera.

And if you look hard enough he also states he is not an athiest. " I'm not an atheist and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. " and " I want to know how God created this world. I'm not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts; the rest are details." also "What I am really interested in, is knowing whether God could have created the world in a different way; in other words, whether the requirement of logical simplicity admits a margin of freedom." If he did not think there was a god then he would not use him in his quotes.

And if you look hard enough he also states he is not an athiest. " I'm not an atheist and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. " and " I want to know how God created this world. I'm not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts; the rest are details." also "What I am really interested in, is knowing whether God could have created the world in a different way; in other words, whether the requirement of logical simplicity admits a margin of freedom." If he did not think there was a god then he would not use him in his quotes.

I didn't say he was an atheist. I said he wasn't religious.

The reason why Einstein regularly used God in his quotes is to allow him to extrapolate on ideas with less hassle. God is a useful catch all term for a creator. On top of that, he was generally talking to theists, and he recognised that they may not agree with his ideas. God is a way of breaking down barriers, he said.

I didn't say he was an atheist. I said he wasn't religious.

The reason why Einstein regularly used God in his quotes is to allow him to extrapolate on ideas with less hassle. God is a useful catch all term for a creator. On top of that, he was generally talking to theists, and he recognised that they may not agree with his ideas. God is a way of breaking down barriers, he said.

And what I actually said is he was open to both science and religion. I did not say he believed in a religion.!!!!! Jeez now who is being pedantic. In fact he respected the God of Spinoza. Im done with this as people take too many things out of context.

And what I actually said is he was open to both science and religion. I did not say he believed in a religion.!!!!! Jeez now who is being pedantic. In fact he respected the God of Spinoza. Im done with this as people take too many things out of context.

Apologies. I thought you'd written "Einstein was a religious person", which really ****** me off. In which case, you're right, and this was a waste of time. :P

Apologies again.

godcubed, checked the figures, and youre right.i retract my statment. but hitlers purge of the jews was less to do with religion and more to do his belief that they were we behindd the "downfall" of germany earlier in the century

godcubed, checked the figures, and youre right.i retract my statment. but hitlers purge of the jews was less to do with religion and more to do his belief that they were we behindd the "downfall" of germany earlier in the century

Of course. But they're JEWS. And therefore a religious group. He was blaming a religious group for the downfall of Imperial Germany, therefore turning it into a religious war/massacre.

Of course. But they're JEWS. And therefore a religious group. He was blaming a religious group for the downfall of Imperial Germany, therefore turning it into a religious war/massacre.
no he talked of them as a race. he hated them as a care not a religion, look at some of the bile he spouts. its about the jewish peple, the jewish race not the religion. actually im gona leave it here because were gonna get into an off topic debate about hitler

no he talked of them as a race. he hated them as a care not a religion, look at some of the bile he spouts. its about the jewish peple, the jewish race not the religion. actually im gona leave it here because were gonna get into an off topic debate about hitler

I thought it was both the race and religion? But you're right, we're already broken Godwin's Law. :P

Why are we still trying to turn people here? Hitler's war had nothing to do with religion. Einstein's views on the existence of God are no more valid than mine or yours. And, if, as some people have stated, God is a simple no, then why does this debate wrangle on thousands of years after the idea was conceived? There is no simple answer. That’s why, in the year 2010, this thread has been made.

The thread asks -- Do you believe in God? Not -- Can you validate the bible? The bible is a man made interpretation of events that may or may not have happened. God (or a / the divine being), is a separate issue all together.

I don't understand why non-believers call the believers 'ignorant', 'stupid', blah. blah, blah... Are we stupid because a scientist said God doesn’t exist? In itself, that’s a pretty stupid reason to call someone ignorant, seeing as science is often wrong itself and regularly changes it’s mind. As I said earlier, the great man Einstein believed the universe was static so he was not (by any means) an ‘all seeing eye’.

No one is ignorant and no one is stupid -- we know the tiniest fraction of what the universe is capable of -- so how we can we possibly know what started it off?

If religion ruled over science, we'd still be living like cavemen.

I don't understand why non-believers call the believers 'ignorant', 'stupid', blah. blah, blah... Are we stupid because a scientist said God doesn’t exist? In itself, that’s a pretty stupid reason to call someone ignorant, seeing as science is often wrong itself and regularly changes it’s mind. As I said earlier, the great man Einstein believed the universe was static so he was not (by any means) an ‘all seeing eye’.

No one is ignorant and no one is stupid -- we know the tiniest fraction of what the universe is capable of -- so how we can we possibly know what started it off?

Well its because you believe in something with no evidence to support, its not healthy for human evolution to have that rationale.
To me its no different than still believing in Thor, Horas or Zues, if I had faith in any of these ancient gods people would think I was crazy, believing in Yahew, Allah etc is just as crazy

A few short videos worth watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDHJ4ztnldQ&feature=player_embedded#!

YouTube- ‪An Atheist Meets God‬‎ - An atheist meets god

Well its because you believe in something with no evidence to support, its not healthy for human evolution to have that rationale.
To me its no different than still believing in Thor, Horas or Zues, if I had faith in any of these ancient gods people would think I was crazy, believing in Yahew, Allah etc is just as crazy

A few short videos worth watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDHJ4ztnldQ&feature=player_embedded#!

YouTube- ‪An Atheist Meets God‬‎ - An atheist meets god

Well to believe it something it cannot be proven one way or another, hence believing. You speak of healty evolution and rationale thinking saying religion is not good for either, But it the last 2000 years, human have evolved had rationale thinkers. in that time the main popularity of this planet was religious, it didnt harm evolution or rationale thinking then no more then we have irrationale thinkers now.

**** no....after watching perth glory last night ..... i booed him off the pitch like every1 else there........go home fowler ya utter ****

Back