Do you Believe In God

• Thread starter Thread starter TheHig
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1K
  • Views Views 63K

What would you Describe your Self As ?

• Athiest

Votes: 230 51.7%
  • Religous (what ever Religion that May be)

Votes: 135 30.3%
  • Agnostic

Votes: 72 16.2%
  • Thiest

Votes: 8 1.8%

• Total voters
So Religion isn't the base of the majority of our laws and rules in Society? If there was no religion all them years ago, the rules would of been made by the rich to help the rich. Anything would of been allowed.

How're the Catholics doing with the paedophiles? And beg your pardon, but the medieval Church was filthy rich, and no, most of our modern laws are based on Erasmus of Rotterdam's humanism, e.g. don't bother other people. Naturally, you needed religion back then, as you couldn't explain much about the world and you needed a way to control the masses (I'm a capitalist, but I agree with Marx on this). Such things as kings were kings because God dictated they should be kings, much like the Pharaohs.

I am not a muslin or a extremist though, i feel if a religious person made a post with an image taking the **** out of non believers, you guys would slaughter him. So why cant i tell him he is a kid, for posting some image clearly not needed/

Well, post one, I may laugh.

Who says people also get a choice, i have situations i have to make do with what i get, i am sure you have.

Aye, but that is entirely beside the point. If your son (or another relative) got a lung infection, would you send him to the doctor's? Because that stuff is deadly unless treated, and if God really does dictate who lives and dies, he's suddenly decided people wouldn't die from it during the advent of antibiotics.

God plans on when i die, but he doesnt plan on how i live my life, Hence Free Will.

So you don't condemn school shootings, as it was all God's plan all along? You belong in the Westboro Baptist Church in that case

My Grammar may be bad, but i am very hung over, and stuidily tired.. So **** it.

Get google chrome or Firefox and a spell checker.

Ok guys , I am bad in English but i am good in Greek(H) . You all know that Atheist is a greek word (Ά(with out)-θεος (God). But in greek there is also the word Άθρησκος (A (with out) - θρησκός (religion). So that things is totally diferrent. If you are Atheist dont explain it with facts as how bad the religions make to the world , or that the church is not reall cristian. I hope some of you understand my devil english and what i want to tell.. (A)

Ok guys , I am bad in English but i am good in Greek(H) . You all know that Atheist is a greek word (Ά(with out)-θεος (God). But in greek there is also the word Άθρησκος (A (with out) - θρησκός (religion). So that things is totally diferrent. If you are Atheist dont explain it with facts as how bad the religions make to the world , or that the church is not reall cristian. I hope some of you understand my devil english and what i want to tell.. (A)

I actually work-out with a Greek and used to live with a bunch :)

As for the facts we're using we often use such things as the Theory of Evolution, that the Sun doesn't go round the Earth etc.

How're the Catholics doing with the paedophiles? And beg your pardon, but the medieval Church was filthy rich, and no, most of our modern laws are based on Erasmus of Rotterdam's humanism, e.g. don't bother other people. Naturally, you needed religion back then, as you couldn't explain much about the world and you needed a way to control the masses (I'm a capitalist, but I agree with Marx on this). Such things as kings were kings because God dictated they should be kings, much like the Pharaohs.

Well, post one, I may laugh.

Aye, but that is entirely beside the point. If your son (or another relative) got a lung infection, would you send him to the doctor's? Because that stuff is deadly unless treated, and if God really does dictate who lives and dies, he's suddenly decided people wouldn't die from it during the advent of antibiotics.

So you don't condemn school shootings, as it was all God's plan all along? You belong in the Westboro Baptist Church in that case

Get google chrome or Firefox and a spell checker.

I beg to Differ, Socialogy has taught me Religion is what our societys laws are based on, and i trust my lecturer to teahc me correctly.

I wouldnt scoop that low, cause unlike so many others, i wont preach how i am right or wrong, becuase i can let people have there own opinions on this matter, without trying to turn them... I wish others could follow suit.

I would send them to a doctors, God gave us the tools to make things happen. we have done that. Some of it good stuff( medicine) some of it Horrendous stuff( Crimes)

I never said i dont codemn it...? It was someones free will which made it happen, and tbh he was probabalaly ****** up. by faults in our society, There is a reason behind most things and most people mental problems have a reason. Stuff doesnt happen for no reason.

I do at home, but currently in LRC due to my net not working, on that note, Need to get home for dinner. If i get bored i pop down here in a while to talk some more

Over and Out, Xxxx

i think i get you, i'm not against religion- whatever helps people get over the whole mortality thing and the parts of the Bible about Jesus are pretty good moral tales

in fact i think Thomas Jefferson wrote a revised Bible where he only took the parts about what Jesus said and removed all the miracles and the parts where he claims to be god- that should be the Bible in my opinion!

I beg to Differ, Socialogy has taught me Religion is what our societys laws are based on, and i trust my lecturer to teahc me correctly.

i don't if you spell like that, also you must do sociology at a ******* stupid university or college because i'm doing half my degree in it and very few sociologists would make that argument in fact the big three would disagree completly

Last edited:

I'd have trusted your lecturer to teach you how to spell the subject correctly too, so who knows if we can believe what he/she says!

I actually work-out with a Greek and used to live with a bunch :)

As for the facts we're using we often use such things as the Theory of Evolution, that the Sun doesn't go round the Earth etc.

Did God , Jesus or Mohammed told you that the sun dont go around the Earth? No.. So you use the words of the church to support that there is not God.. That exactly i was meaning ...

Humanism grew out of religion, true, but have a look at Hammurabi's Code of Laws. First laws in the world, afaik.

I would send them to a doctors, God gave us the tools to make things happen. we have done that. Some of it good stuff( medicine) some of it Horrendous stuff( Crimes)

Ah, but if the kid dies, it was God's will. You're contradicting yourself.
I never said i dont codemn it...? It was someones free will which made it happen, and tbh he was probabalaly ****** up. by faults in our society, There is a reason behind most things and most people mental problems have a reason. Stuff doesnt happen for no reason.

Of course you did. You said it was God's will and their time was up, ergo, the person who killed them had nothing to do with it, as he was just acting out God's plan.

Did God , Jesus or Mohammed told you that the sun dont go around the Earth? No.. So you use the words of the church to support that there is not God.. That exactly i was meaning ...

YouTube - Iraqi TV Debate: Is the Earth Flat?

Qu'ran says so!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_Galilei

Wikipedia said:
When he later defended his views in his most famous work, Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems, published in 1632, he was tried by the Inquisition, found "vehemently suspect of heresy", forced to recant, and spent the rest of his life under house arrest.

Last edited:
Ah, but if the kid dies, it was God's will. You're contradicting yourself.

Of course you did. You said it was God's will and their time was up, ergo, the person who killed them had nothing to do with it, as he was just acting out God's plan.

/QUOTE]

I don't know where i said it was gods will...? if a child dies it is a sad thing, but it happens. You deal with it. God has a plan for everyone, sometimes through mistakes( made by us) that plan is cut short.

God plan on when they die, yes but not how they die or why they die, You can be sure of one thing in this life, You will die. How, When and Why will define you as a person.

There is no proof for god but there is proof for science this is why i am athiest.

Spend 5 mins watching the God channel, its enough to turn anyone athiest.

Imgine someone wakes up and it was all a dream n the fourth century B.C., Taoist philosopher Chuang Tzu framed the question in more poetic terms. He described a vivid dream. In it, he was a butterfly who had no awareness of his existence as a person. When he awoke, he asked: "Was I before Chuang Tzu who dreamt about being a butterfly, or am I now a butterfly who dreams about being Chuang Tzu?".

Gets you thinking?

My view is that I dont believe in the big bang theory in that their was a big bang from out of nowhere and whole universe is created my question is what caused the big bang? and what caused the cause of big bang? you can go on for ever asking about.
Another theory is it safer to bet that god exists lets look at the odds:

I bet for God- I die he doesnt exist I lose- I die he does exist I go heaven, reincarnated find out the meaning of life basically I win.
I bet against God- I die he doesnt exist i kinda but Im just dead now nothing to do but decompose.
I die he does exist god will turn me away for not betting for him I lose.

Also whos to say that there is only one god cultures throughout time have worship groups of gods e.g. Greeks, Romans Norse etc. Unless the gods were highlanders and their can only be one.

My opinion in this day and age no man/woman should have kill themselves and others for their believe in a god that god wont get my faith and believe anytime soon or use people of authority to sexual abuse children

Imgine someone wakes up and it was all a dream n the fourth century B.C., Taoist philosopher Chuang Tzu framed the question in more poetic terms. He described a vivid dream. In it, he was a butterfly who had no awareness of his existence as a person. When he awoke, he asked: "Was I before Chuang Tzu who dreamt about being a butterfly, or am I now a butterfly who dreams about being Chuang Tzu?".

Gets you thinking?

My view is that I dont believe in the big bang theory in that their was a big bang from out of nowhere and whole universe is created my question is what caused the big bang? and what caused the cause of big bang? you can go on for ever asking about.
Another theory is it safer to bet that god exists lets look at the odds:

I bet for God- I die he doesnt exist I lose- I die he does exist I go heaven, reincarnated find out the meaning of life basically I win.
I bet against God- I die he doesnt exist i kinda but Im just dead now nothing to do but decompose.
I die he does exist god will turn me away for not betting for him I lose.

Also whos to say that there is only one god cultures throughout time have worship groups of gods e.g. Greeks, Romans Norse etc. Unless the gods were highlanders and their can only be one.

My opinion in this day and age no man/woman should have kill themselves and others for their believe in a god that god wont get my faith and believe anytime soon or use people of authority to sexual abuse children

If you read my post a few pages back you'd see why probability is no option for the belief in God, I'll repeat it. There's an infinite amount of God's thought of in the past, present and others that may be created in the future. Since you can't dismiss or prove the existence of any of them, each of them must have an equal chance of being true. So the probability of choosing the right God is 1/infinity, which is equal to zero. Nice odds.

There's a heap of evidence for the big bang theory, show me a shred of credible evidence for God? We don't know why it happened, but at least we're making endeavours to discover with experiments such as the LHC, and exploration into the effects of such things as gravitation, which we know very little about. As Steven Hawking said: "As their is a force such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself". If religion had its way then we'd never, ever know why our universe started. If that ever happens, then it'd be a very sad day for humanity.

A Teacher once told me why there are songs, articles etc. written against Christianity if Christianity is not true, although I believe in God to a certain extent, i would like to hear how you would answer this question

btw I am not Christian

If you read my post a few pages back you'd see why probability is no option for the belief in God, I'll repeat it. There's an infinite amount of God's thought of in the past, present and others that may be created in the future. Since you can't dismiss or prove the existence of any of them, each of them must have an equal chance of being true. So the probability of choosing the right God is 1/infinity, which is equal to zero. Nice odds.

There's a heap of evidence for the big bang theory, show me a shred of credible evidence for God? We don't know why it happened, but at least we're making endeavours to discover with experiments such as the LHC, and exploration into the effects of such things as gravitation, which we know very little about. As Steven Hawking said: "As their is a force such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself". If religion had its way then we'd never, ever know why our universe started. If that ever happens, then it'd be a very sad day for humanity.

Okay Ill ask you what caused the big bang

I don't know where i said it was gods will...? if a child dies it is a sad thing, but it happens. You deal with it. God has a plan for everyone, sometimes through mistakes( made by us) that plan is cut short.

God plans on when i die, but he doesnt plan on how i live my life, Hence Free Will.

This is where you contradict yourself. God plans on when you die, though you're still not answering the omniscient v. free will part. Why give us free will if he KNOWS what we'll do regardless?

God plan on when they die, yes but not how they die or why they die, You can be sure of one thing in this life, You will die. How, When and Why will define you as a person.

That's extremely melodramatic and wrong. You've watched too many Hollywood films. My death will have ****** all do with defining me as a person. What I did my whole life (e.g. not how I died) will define me.

Okay Ill ask you what caused the big bang

Pretty sure I answered that in my post, read it before you question it maybe? I'd rather be a scientist trying to discover the cause for the big bang, than the priest searching for the cause of God.

Back