Do you Believe In God

• Thread starter Thread starter TheHig
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1K
  • Views Views 63K

What would you Describe your Self As ?

• Athiest

Votes: 230 51.7%
  • Religous (what ever Religion that May be)

Votes: 135 30.3%
  • Agnostic

Votes: 72 16.2%
  • Thiest

Votes: 8 1.8%

• Total voters
What will really blow your mind is scientists are becoming more and more convinced that this might not be the only Universe, they believe this Universe could be just one of trillions.

It is inconcievably vast. So vast it really is impossible to explain. And I mean that: LITERALLY impossible. A grain of sand is the nearest example, but honestly we're smaller than sand. We're smaller than dust. We're atom-sized, really.

That is exactly what my friend says. I think you guys are taking the word perfect too litterally. I define that fact that we are living and can move and can extract the needed resources from our surroundings(oxygen) as perfect. The fact the earth rotates on the perfect axis etc etc

So ofcourse another race other than humans could be defined as perfect but the fact that just from an explosion and a few random events that there was any sort of race to me seems designed.

But my point is, how is that perfect? How is that any more perfect from a smoking crater of an Earth? It's perfect for US, sure, but think of all the infinite number of organisms it isn't perfect for. Nothing is perfect: nothing. Which gives me another reason not to believe in the Christian God, who is portrayed as perfect, unlike the Scandinavian awesome Gods who kill people and have fights.

Last edited:
If the laws of physics were different, things would be different. Like a game of football where you were allowed to pick the ball up in your own half.

Though, the Big Bang theory requires no god, be it Odin or God.
If the laws were different theres no guarentee there would be any living race.

If I were to say that the big bang was actually the end of one universe and a start of another what you say

If I were to say that the big bang was actually the end of one universe and a start of another what you say

That is one theory, afaik. The Universe expands, collapses, rinse repeat. Can't remember if it's one of the reigning ones though.

What will really blow your mind is scientists are becoming more and more convinced that this might not be the only Universe, they believe this Universe could be just one of trillions.

Yeah, it's really incomprehensible. I believe a lot will come as/if we can discover more about black holes, for instance we know and can see an immense amount of matter and energy being released from the centres of black holes, which sounds a lot like a big bang. So each black hole may just have another universe inside it and the cycle constantly repeats itself as such. Some scientists believe that when they see two particles appearing in two places at one time, that it's like that particle is appearing in a parallel universe to ours too.

That is one theory, afaik. The Universe expands, collapses, rinse repeat. Can't remember if it's one of the reigning ones though.

Saw a horizon programme a while back where some Maths genius had figured out a way of showing the Big Bounce theory mathematically, so it's still entirely plausible. Very few scientists actually believe in their just being a big bang now.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's really incomprehensible. I believe a lot will come as/if we can discover more about black holes, for instance we know and can see an immense amount of matter and energy being released from the centres of black holes, which sounds a lot like a big bang. So each black hole may just have another universe inside it and the cycle constantly repeats itself as such. Some scientists believe that when they see two particles appearing in two places at one time, that it's like that particle is appearing in a parallel universe to ours too.

So wait, there's a theory to say we're inside a black hole in another universe?

Head asplooooode

Big bounce theory eh? Entirely plausible in my eyes.

one of friends said it sounds like The matrix

---------- Post added at 12:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

A black hole is a region of space from which nothing, not even light, can escape. How could universe survive inside one

So wait, there's a theory to say we're inside a black hole in another universe?

Head asplooooode

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...rnate-universe-multiverse-einstein-wormholes/

Is what I'm talking about I think, mind blowing stuff. I learnt about it from a Michio Kaku programme, he's awesome. (H)

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 AM ----------

one of friends said it sounds like The matrix

---------- Post added at 12:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

A black hole is a region of space from which nothing, not even light, can escape. How could universe survive inside one

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/rw5trKz_kdc/0.jpg

You can see in that picture energy escaping from the centre of the black hole. It's not escaping, it's being ejected by the black hole. Very, very different things.

Also, the equation E=MC^2, says that energy and mass are kind of the same. I dont really understand the quantum mechanics behind it, but then again, simply no human does fully.
But basically, energy can change to mass, and mass to energy (like in nuclear reactions), so for the big bang, there was alot of energy, and not much mass, and alot of this energy was somehow converted to mass during the big bang. hence how 'so much' can fit in such a small space, as it existed in a form with no mass, or dimensions before hand!
Quantum was about the only part of physics Alevel i enjoyed, found it fascinating...

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...rnate-universe-multiverse-einstein-wormholes/

Is what I'm talking about I think, mind blowing stuff. I learnt about it from a Michio Kaku programme, he's awesome. (H)

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 AM ----------

You can see in that picture energy escaping from the centre of the black hole. It's not escaping, it's being ejected by the black hole. Very, very different things.

I heard that Rogue black holes could cause the end of the world apparentlyout galaxy is full of black holes?

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

I heard that Rogue black holes could cause the end of the world apparently our galaxy is full of black holes?

From a great round headed philosopher

"They say it all started out with a big bang. But, what I wonder is, was it a big bang or did it just seem big because there wasn't anything else to drown it out at the time?"

Karl Pilkington ;)

I think my favourite quote regarding the big bang is from a certain Mr. Pratchett.

"In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded."

This is where you contradict yourself. God plans on when you die, though you're still not answering the omniscient v. free will part. Why give us free will if he KNOWS what we'll do regardless?

That's extremely melodramatic and wrong. You've watched too many Hollywood films. My death will have ****** all do with defining me as a person. What I did my whole life (e.g. not how I died) will define me.

We have Free will, We can live our life how we like, God doesnt choose that for us, we have that choice.... Hence why we have Murderer, rapist and many other things god would rather not have on his Planet. Just because he knows when we die, doesnt mean we dont have free will. Not a hard concept...?

Fair point on that, I meant more the circumstances of Death...

Just because scientists don't yet know the cause or the meaning of the universe doesn't mean we should all believe it was the work of a mythical being. We have much still to learn.

And Just because religion can't explain evertthing doesn't mean we should regard it...?

Like what i did there.

Yes, I believe in God. Whether he is a Human like, Whether he is the energy, Whether his is a she, or both, whether he is an Alien, i believe there is something greater

We have Free will, We can live our life how we like, God doesnt choose that for us, we have that choice.... Hence why we have Murderer, rapist and many other things god would rather not have on his Planet. Just because he knows when we die, doesnt mean we dont have free will. Not a hard concept...?

Right, you do know what omniscient means? It means all-knowing, thus why should God even bother testing us with free will, when he knows the outcome anyway? And if he knows when we die (and apparently it's according to his plan), a guy killing someone must just be exacting God's will.

And Just because religion can't explain evertthing doesn't mean we should regard it...?

Like what i did there.

There's a massive difference between Science looking for the answers and not finding them yet, and religion claiming to have the answers without looking and without evidence.

Not saying religion isn't 100% true, because then I'd be believing something is fact without evidence to prove, which would be just as bad as religion.

Right, you do know what omniscient means? It means all-knowing, thus why should God even bother testing us with free will, when he knows the outcome anyway? And if he knows when we die (and apparently it's according to his plan), a guy killing someone must just be exacting God's will.

He doesnt know the outcome though...? This life is a test to get to the next( Heavan) ( In My opinion). So we are all being test, As i said God gave us the tools, it is up to me how i use them. He has given me a time span( life) to prove myself worthy of Heavan and his company... I intend to be there.

There's a massive difference between Science looking for the answers and not finding them yet, and religion claiming to have the answers without looking and without evidence.

Not saying religion isn't 100% true, because then I'd be believing something is fact without evidence to prove, which would be just as bad as religion.

Yet Scienctist and people dismiss religion and call us all crazy. Science is a theory, i not saying it isnt true or useful, just to me, it is not the be all and end all.

Back