Do you Believe In God

• Thread starter Thread starter TheHig
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1K
  • Views Views 63K

What would you Describe your Self As ?

• Athiest

Votes: 230 51.7%
  • Religous (what ever Religion that May be)

Votes: 135 30.3%
  • Agnostic

Votes: 72 16.2%
  • Thiest

Votes: 8 1.8%

• Total voters
in the end, its all about RESPECT. whether ur religious or not, respecting is vital for everyone's good.

amore better question: the big bang theory or adam and eve story.

choose.

The big bang must of come 1st to create the universe

God is supposedly all-knowing and all-powerful. If he doesn't want to be detected, he won't.

There is a pretty clear difference between Santa Claus and God. Santa claus as in the red coat wearing, reindeer riding myth guy ( as opposed to Saint Nicholas) has never been claimed to be an all powerful being who would be able to avoid our detection. So the fact he has never been seen or picked up on a satellite is proof he probably doesn't exist.

How do we know Santa isn't all-knowing and all-powerful? I'm going to say he is. What do you say now? I guess he can avoid detection too huh?

Okay, can god make a stone so heavy that he cannot lift it?
If he can't, he is not all powerful because of his inability to make a stone too heavy for him to lift.
If he can, he is not all powerful because he can't lift up the stone.
One of the many contradictions of God.

I prefer "Can god make a sammich so big he can't eat it" but that works too.

You don't get it. Why is Santa for kids and god not? Essentially, they're so similar they might as well be regarded as the same person.

Also, if I spend 6000 years believing bacon is a vegetable, does that make it more true? Longevity of belief has nothing to do with the acceptability.

Because parents dont say behave kids or god is going to stop you going to church. But how many parents say to kids behave or santa wont come with your presents. Now when I was kid when mum said that I would shut up and do what I was told, until I was 5 and saw my dad carrying the presents downstairs swearing his head off because he couldnt see the stairs so the whole santa thing went out the window. But Because I dont see god I dont dismiss nor accept but you cant deny that are millions of people who follow the bible and believe god that there must something for them to have faith in it.

God is supposedly all-knowing and all-powerful. If he doesn't want to be detected, he won't.

There is a pretty clear difference between Santa Claus and God. Santa claus as in the red coat wearing, reindeer riding myth guy ( as opposed to Saint Nicholas) has never been claimed to be an all powerful being who would be able to avoid our detection. So the fact he has never been seen or picked up on a satellite is proof he probably doesn't exist.

I'm using the word probably because whatever piece of evidence i think up you can just find an elaborate explanation to explain why he still exists. You can never prove the non-existence of anything but the difference is there is lots of evidence santa probably doesn't exist whereas there isn't with god because by definition of him being all-powerful there would be no way to prove he probably doesn't exist.

Bold words sum it up.

You can prove the non-existence of many things if it's possible, it's a common way to show proofs in Maths by showing the examples of where it won't work. You use the word elaborate, the difference between GodCubed's elaborate examples of Santa Claus and God?

---------- Post added at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 AM ----------

Because parents dont say behave kids or god is going to stop you going to church. But how many parents say to kids behave or santa wont come with your presents. Now when I was kid when mum said that I would shut up and do what I was told, until I was 5 and saw my dad carrying the presents downstairs swearing his head off because he couldnt see the stairs so the whole santa thing went out the window. But Because I dont see god I dont dismiss nor accept but you cant deny that are millions of people who follow the bible and believe god that there must something for them to have faith in it.

"Don't believe in God or you won't go to heaven."

You're hung up on the fact I used Santa as an example, the same applies for every ridiculous, unexplainable idea possible. It's the fact there's no evidence for God, there's no evidence for Santa. Dismissing Santa is therefore dismissing God as you are dismissing Santa based on the same evidence as God.

Last edited:
Why do atheists equate God with Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, elves?

Atheists do this because God, Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny are all beliefs that are indoctrinated into children when they are young – too young to make rational decisions about such things themselves. If I remember from psychology children dont develop Rational thinking until stage 3 of cognitive development which between 7-11 yrs

Why do atheists equate God with Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, elves?

Atheists do this because God, Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny are all beliefs that are indoctrinated into children when they are young – too young to make rational decisions about such things themselves. If I remember from psychology children dont develop Rational thinking until stage 3 of cognitive development which between 7-11 yrs

Thanks for backing up a point about one of my gripes with religion.

Thanks for backing up a point about one of my gripes with religion.

In a way it wrong to ask a child about why they believe in such things untill they can make that rational thought because you know for fact they will say because of my parents for Atheists to this as a base for argument doesnt convince me

I think most of the god encounters explained in the bible and other religious books can be explained away as UFO encounters, alcohol and drug induced hallucinations, and bare faced lies and exaggerations.

Last edited:
People needed to get an explanation for the world, so they created god. Nobody can say that his good is the true one, because god is just a explanation for our action. God exists in everyone, but he isn't a person or a higher existence. I don't understand how people can say that their god is the true one. Why are the egyptian gods or the maya gods not true. Who said that there is only one god? We only believe in one god, because european people who mostly believed in one god were in power 600 years ago, so that the monarchs decided who god is. It is only a historical fact. I believe in the buddhism, not as religion, but only as a way of life.

How do we know Santa isn't all-knowing and all-powerful? I'm going to say he is. What do you say now? I guess he can avoid detection too huh?
Believing in an all poweful santa claus wouldn't be the same as believing in god either.
The only source of information we have about god is holy books, these all state he is all-powerful.
The sources of information we have on the santa claus we're referring to don't ever claim he is all powerful.

I personally don't think believing in a being that has always been known to be all-powerful and believing in a being that has never been known to be all-powerful but you're belief in him bases itself on him being all-powerful is the same.

People needed to get an explanation for the world, so they created god. Nobody can say that his good is the true one, because god is just a explanation for our action. God exists in everyone, but he isn't a person or a higher existence. I don't understand how people can say that their god is the true one. Why are the egyptian gods or the maya gods not true. Who said that there is only one god? We only believe in one god, because european people who mostly believed in one god were in power 600 years ago, so that the monarchs decided who god is. It is only a historical fact. I believe in the buddhism, not as religion, but only as a way of life.
I think right throughout human history the term "God" has been threw at everything and anything we don't understand. Fire, rocks, water, the moon, tree's, wind, stars, to name but a few have all been worshiped as gods at some time simply because we didn't understand what they were or why they were there.

Last edited:
Believing in an all poweful santa claus wouldn't be the same as believing in god either.
The only source of information we have about god is holy books, these all state he is all-powerful.
The sources of information we have on the santa claus we're referring to don't ever claim he is all powerful.

I personally don't think believing in a being that has always been known to be all-powerful and believing in a being that has never been known to be all-powerful but you're belief in him bases itself on him being all-powerful is the same.

Holy books are in no way evidence. It's a source that states something, just because there's no source to state Santa is all powerful, doesn't mean he is not. You're confusing common conceptions of God and Santa as evidence. You cannot differentiate between evidence for Santa and God. You're saying GodCubed's counters are ludicrous, but that's because he's describing impossible events with a being that you believe impossible to exist. It's only possible to describe why we imagine Santa and God as different entities, you cannot provide hard proof for the existence or non-existence of either.

Stop thinking about it as the fact it's Santa, and just consider it as a mythical being.

I think right throughout human history the term "God" has been threw at everything and anything we don't understand. Fire, rocks, water, the moon, tree's, wind, stars, to name but a few have all been worshiped as gods at some time simply because we didn't understand what they were or why they were there.

But their were some smart people in ancient times that probably did understand the concept of fire, moon wind stars but thet still believed in gods

But their were some smart people in ancient times that probably did understand the concept of fire, moon wind stars but thet still believed in gods

Understanding the concept is not explaining the concept. God is the explanation of a concept, not the concept itself.

The Drunken Gospel of Chaz Sexington said:
And 'lo, the High Prophet Chaz Sexington of Odin heardeth from a guy in the pub that Santa Claus is omniscient and omnipotent and favours the Scandinavians, explaining why they get presents a day early. Santa Claus also privately revealed himself his High Prophet. Santa Claus has now been inducted into the Norse Pantheon.

Tadaaa!

Holy books are in no way evidence. It's a source that states something, just because there's no source to state Santa is all powerful, doesn't mean he is not. You're confusing common conceptions of God and Santa as evidence. You cannot differentiate between evidence for Santa and God. You're saying GodCubed's counters are ludicrous, but that's because he's describing impossible events with a being that you believe impossible to exist. It's only possible to describe why we imagine Santa and God as different entities, you cannot provide hard proof for the existence or non-existence of either.

Stop thinking about it as the fact it's Santa, and just consider it as a mythical being.

Santa Claus was initially created by Coca-Cola to boost sales, and it worked. This is the true origin of Santa.He is also Saint Nicholas of Myra is the primary inspiration for the Christian figure of Sinterklaas. He was a 4th century Greek Christian bishop of Myra (now Demre) in Lycia, a province of the Byzantine Anatolia, now in Turkey. famed for giving gift to the poor.

Last edited:
Santa Claus was initially created by Coca-Cola to boost sales, and it worked. This is the true origin of Santa.

This is getting really, really frustrating. It has nothing to do with the fact I said Santa, it's the concept behind it. There is NO evidence for the existence of mythical beings. There is NO evidence for the existence of God. You dismiss other mythical beings, because there's no evidence. But then you accept the existence of God, but there's no evidence for that. You CANNOT claim God is real based on the same reason (No evidence) that you dismiss the mythical beings being real. I don't know how else to explain it, you must be trolling me.

God was originally created by man, they wrote a book about him and sold it to the public thousands of years ago. You'll tell me this is nonsense, there's other possibilities. You're correct, but there's no evidence to prove any of those possibilities. You're saying Santa was created by Coca-Cola, prove to me Santa didn't visit a Marketing Exec. which inspired his creation. Sounds insane? You're right. Disprove it? You can't. Yet this is exactly what you are doing with religion.

Aristotle did a could job Aristotle's scientific method, Physics, Motion, Causality, The Four Causes, Optics, Chance and spontaneity, Metaphysics, Universals and particulars, Biology and medicine etc

Your point?

Last edited:
Back