Children are the worst comment is classic hahaha, although need to defend my children as I love them to death. Women who don't understand football manager passion is the worst! TBH it's bullshit you need coaching badges to apply for jobs it should be an FM CV needed just to make things interesting in football.

FM CV is an interesting idea!

Probably should defend myself a bit as well, of course I love my daughter. She is the light of my life, just not when we're pushing for the winning goal in the CL final :p

Agree though, a women who doesn't understand is actually worse. Much worse in fact. :(

Brothers and his step-kids were over earlier and while I was trying to remain focused on the family conversations I did have to slip up "to grab something" every few minutes as I found my enjoyment of the game once more. This ended up with the younger 2 kids following me and one was completely enticed by the little men on the screen, the 2 minutes up stairs turned into an hour before my brother came up at a complete loss as to where we were! 1 more kid who loves the game is good enough though. Ended up screaming when they had to go - "can the little men come, wyan!"

Best thing on the internet if only I had anything I could add to it

EDIT: I did once play FM for philosophy exam revision oddly enough the questions involved actual philosophers and my football philosophy was useless not one question about the advantages of slick passing over long balls and the financial benifeits of promoting and buying youngsters

Last edited:
Best thing on the internet if only I had anything I could add to it

EDIT: I did once play FM for philosophy exam revision oddly enough the questions involved actual philosophers and my football philosophy was useless not one question about the advantages of slick passing over long balls and the financial benifeits of promoting and buying youngsters

I wrote about Liverpool's transfer committee in my "Foundations of Management" exam: "Explain the importance of accountability, responsibility, delegation and [something else] to management/a business".

I wasn't very complimentary :p

Last edited:
I wrote about Liverpool's transfer committee in my "Foundations of Management" exam: "Explain the importance of accountability, responsibility, delegation and [something else] to management/a business".

I wasn't very complimentary :p

I considered using rangers as an example in a business exam but chickened out because of the chances of a Rangers fan just failing me beacause of it even if a Celtic fan would have probably given me all the marks the risk was to high for me.

Also my cousins boyfriend is in the game and she is somehow not as thrilled about it as I am I have never known anyone in the game.

Last edited:
Brothers and his step-kids were over earlier and while I was trying to remain focused on the family conversations I did have to slip up "to grab something" every few minutes as I found my enjoyment of the game once more. This ended up with the younger 2 kids following me and one was completely enticed by the little men on the screen, the 2 minutes up stairs turned into an hour before my brother came up at a complete loss as to where we were! 1 more kid who loves the game is good enough though. Ended up screaming when they had to go - "can the little men come, wyan!"

Kinda how I got started on the game, I went to visit my dad's brother (who i rarely seen/knew) one day and we were in his room and he was playing CM (can't remember which year) however he was Rangers and he let me mess about with it & I beat Celtic in the Old firm which he had failed to do so I was rewarded not only with "pocket money" but an addiction of being introduced to the greatest game ever.

This one time, I told my boss I would be working from home in the afternoon... and i did.. albeit my 'second' job as a Football Manager. This gave me a solid 5 hours before the other half got home.

Like some of the guys here I have an agreement with the other half that I can play as long as I relinquish control of the TV remote. Seems fair to me, I can zone out of the **** on the telly and really crack on with FM.

tactic sheet with every team and for each season- check

list of potential wonderkids scribbled on paper ranging from FM13- check (courtesy playing, going a decade further into the save, and scouting for best players with the view to buy them for my next save!)

playing FM till 4am on nights alone- check

thinking of the next tactic and next signings all through the day- check

developing an affinity towards some players- check.. I mean.. just a recent example of many.. I bought Calhanoglu on one of my saves for $52m.. after 4 years of devoted service, I got offered $75m + 50% sell on for him and accepted.. thought of playing him one final game before he signs that contract.. he scored one, assisted one.. I was like.. how, and why would you sell him! immediately after the game ended, went and cancelled all negotiations for him! sane happens with many players, who might be upgraded looking at the team, but for their loyalty, can't convince myself to do that!

allowed to play the game a bit late once a week now with the wife! she's not into the game, and occasionally brings up the point that I like the game more than her! but I know no justification would suffice her either way, so I keep silent!

Surely I can't be the only one who wears a suit when I get to the cup final?

Luckily I live alone so my constant shouting and swearing isn't an issue (unless it's summer and the windows are open!)

My wife once said to me
'Its been 12 YEARS!!! How can you still be playing that s#@t game...'
To which i calmly replied
'Technically its been 14 years.'

Surely I can't be the only one who wears a suit when I get to the cup final?

Luckily I live alone so my constant shouting and swearing isn't an issue (unless it's summer and the windows are open!)

You're not alone mate, i used to play careers with a friend of mine and we co-managed the team somehow (although now i don't see how we could have agreed on so many decisions - we even had a game that lasted till 2040). We used to dress in black jackets (over our pijamas) in cup finals and light our cigars when we got the feeling we would win it

I have two major gaming loves in my life - FM and COD. My wife used to absolutely HATE Fm, but now she's realised she can't stop me playing video games completely, and sitting with a pair of noise cancelling headphones on playing COD tournaments for entire evenings at a time is considerably worse than me sitting with a laptop while she gets her shows on the TV! Sadly not much COD anymore but FM is seen as acceptable - and to be fair it's definitely the best solution for our marriage haha.

She's not a football fan though so no expectations she will ever understand it

I shouted "GET IN THERE!!!" when I got an 85th minute away goal against Real Madrid that took me to the Champs League final with my little Polish team Stomil Olsztyn....... it was 3am...... my girlfriend was not impressed..........

I like the fact that my missus asks me how I'm getting on when I'm playing it. If I huff and puff or punch the settee she might ask something like: "Sköld missed an open net again?".

Also, I got a bit too into it and added my brother and my missus into the game as a player and agent respectively so she'll often ask who she's got on her books or how my brother's been playing recently.

It could be a lot worse...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Brilliant thread.

Been with my girlfriend now for just over a year and a half, and the first time we met at the pub I mentioned FM a lot to her, just in case it goes very well and we get together she can understand that FM is part of me lmao.

Usually on weekends she is in bed by around 12 and I'm usually up till around 2-4 AM playing FM downstairs and once I come up she shifts over in her tired sleepy state and asks how it went and if I won any derby's, what a catch.

On a side note, when I'm at the gym or in the shower or even shopping I often think about scenarios, E.G. how my 16 yr old regen left winger will adapt to my side, If I should try to train his weaker foot and transform him into a beast Ryan Giggs winger or turn him into a monster Ronaldo IF cutting inside and scoring.

Also have dreams of turning deep lying play makers into ball playing defenders and dictating the tempo from defense and playing beautiful crisp football.. never turns out that way I tell you.

Maxim Tsigalko...? :p
Yes yes!!! Love you. That time i was teenager, and i was really thinking that Belarus is the Brazill of Europe...As for the topic (sorry for my english) now i am a phd student. My girlfriend khows my passion for fm so if she catch me play she make like hitler. i have to play windowed mode secretly and every time she enter my office i minimise it.So no more stories.

This is a fun thread.

I was playing FM08 in the dorm back in college, and that was FM in 2D. My opponent was given a penalty kick, but from where I saw, my defender took the ball cleanly, so I shouted at the screen"there's no way this is a penalty", everyone in the corridor heard me, and they all asked me what happened. And it was difficult to explain how I was sure penalty was wrongly given from watching two bottle cap like "players" run into each other, let along why I reacted so badly.

And last week, my striker scored 7 goals in the first half of Serie A opening game, and I pulled a Pep Guardiola when Robert Lewandowski scored 5 in 9 mins.

For the best of times, and for the worst of times, no one understands us when we are "in the game".