Do you think Rafa Benitez should be replaced and why?

Do you think Liverpool should replace Benitez?

• Yes

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • No

Votes: 25 28.4%

• Total voters
wow, im surprised at the response i get from posting this thread. i agree with dasty. players like robbie keane, ryan babel, andrea dossena, lucas leiva and many many more are good examples of failed signings. moreover, these players which i have mentioned already amounted to close to 50m. hopefully things change for the better asap or there's a possibility that liverpool might drop out of the big 4. its kind of sad to see a mighty fortress sink. hope it doesn't happen to liverpool though. :)

Rafa won the Champions League with a team that he inherited from Houllier. Unfortunately that same team only finished 5th in the EPL that year, so there were some definite changes that needed to be made, but considering they were good enough to win Europe toughest club competition, they didn't need a lot of changes, but rather some tweaking. At least that's what I thought. Rafa obviously thought differently because if you look at the team that he has now, the only player left from his CL winning side are Gerrard and Carragher. That's it. He had 39 players in his squad that year, and he only has 2 left!? In his time at Liverpool has has bought 53 players. FIFTY-THREE PLAYERS!!! He has sold SIXTY-SEVEN players! Those 53 players have cost the club 248m and the 67 that he sold brought in 134m. Of the 53 players that he bought, almost half of them were sold within a year, all of whom were sold at a loss. And after all this, he has the gall to complain about a lack of funds from the owners who have given him 114m out of their pocket to fund his transfers. If you think that Rafa is building a squad then you're wrong, horribly wrong. No one will be selling players at a loss within a year if they're building a squad.

If you don't believe what I've said you can freely check it here :http://transferleague.co.uk/
Their net spend from 2004 to 2009 is only behind Manchester City and Chelsea, and that says a lot. Contrary to your belief, Manchester United is in the ninth place and Arsenal the fourteenth.

I'm sorry Dasty but you need to put those figures into context, Rafa has built an entire squad on a £114m net spend, whereas take Manchester United for example they have had an established squad where they have only needed to buy one or two players each season or in some seasons none at all. Also if you take away the ridiculous fee you recieved for Ronaldo this season Man Utd's net spend is higher up

The £114m isn't exactly out of the owners pockets, our performances in the Champions League alone since Rafa took over will of brought in more than that, nevermind our Premiership money too.

To say they were all sold for a loss is a bit of a bizarre statement too. That figure you also quoted for player he has sold and signed include a fair few reserves and youngsters, and the majority of players he has sold were all from the previous regime. I'm pulling this number from memory but if I rememmber correctly the number of players Rafa has bought himself and then sold is < 20.

If you think the side Rafa inherited didn't need a major overhaul let me list some of the players he inherited.... Milan Baros, Salif Diao, Djimi Traore, Biscan, Harry Kewell, Kirkland, Diouf, Cheyrou, Cisse, and many more of that calibre.

My point is, looking at figures without any context is just idiotic. Apart from the Souness years Liverpool have always been behind in relative transfer spending.

*edit* That site you linked too is pretty terrible. A site about transfers that lists incorrect fee's and doesn't do enough research to find out some of the undisclosed fees? Pretty poor.

alright mate caicedo is about 19 give him time, jo was eriksson bojinov was also eriksson, i said ben haim was ****, taylor is a backup keeper, lescott is better than carragher, we can afford 18m for a backup player so be quiet mate u dont know anything, and sylvinho is experience to help out people like richards and onouha, garrido is fine for back up too u cant judge people that havent played more than about 4-5 games,and also on bojinov he spends most of the time injured, so an epic failure of a list in my opinion

about 90% of the people on your list are backup or played about 5 games.

Last edited:
http://www.lfc-1.com/general/transfers.asp

This are the list of transfers without this summer's on a Liverpool website. Fair enough? Hopefully I won't be called idiotic again without any solid reasons.

Well, you can say all you want about Benitez's transfers, but the fact that most of the "small" signings that he made doesn't even exists in Liverpool's squad now says a lot. Well if you wanna take away Ronaldo's transfer fee away then take away Alonso's too, although the amount doesn't even compare. Like I've said before, I'd rather Benitez stop spending money on 2-3 "potentially capable" players and save them for a "capable" player. He had been doing some gambles of himself on the players, and sadly nearly none of them worked, except for the few that he decided to spend a bit more.

And the selling of Momo Sissoko still puzzles me until today. How old was he when he was sold? Luckily he wasn't as patient with him as he is with Lucas.

Last edited:
http://www.lfc-1.com/general/transfers.asp

This are the list of transfers without this summer's on a Liverpool website. Fair enough? Hopefully I won't be called idiotic again without any solid reasons.

Well, you can say all you want about Benitez's transfers, but the fact that most of the "small" signings that he made doesn't even exists in Liverpool's squad now says a lot. Well if you wanna take away Ronaldo's transfer fee away then take away Alonso's too, although the amount doesn't even compare. Like I've said before, I'd rather Benitez stop spending money on 2-3 "potentially capable" players and save them for a "capable" player. He had been doing some gambles of himself on the players, and sadly nearly none of them worked, except for the few that he decided to spend a bit more.

And the selling of Momo Sissoko still puzzles me until today. How old was he when he was sold? Luckily he wasn't as patient with him as he is with Lucas.

Repeating your point doesn't make it any more valid the second time around. The figures still lack any context.

That Liverpool site looks pretty poor too, there's one decent site but I can't recall it's name at the moment. When I find it I'll link you too it.

Momo was sold because we had a much better replacement in Mascherano, that's how Rafa has had to do it. He needs to sell players before he can buy them. Unlike the other big clubs who don't have this problem.

Saying about just buying one good player is a little short sighted too, I've already been over it twice in this thread. For the first few seasons his squad has never been good enough to be able to buy just one big player, it's just not worth the risk. Instead, buying players who will improve the squad is the better option. It's not like Benitez's first plan was to buy these players but when his targets are constantly put out of our price range or a rival offers them more money there's not much we can do.

Momo was sold because we had a much better replacement in Mascherano, that's how Rafa has had to do it. He needs to sell players before he can buy them. Unlike the other big clubs who don't have this problem.

i know how you feel, it was the same with Arsenal, but luckily wenger has gotten so good at buying players for peanuts then selling them on that Arsenal have a nice big transfer budget. Wenger still wont spend it though :p

I can't believe people are saying he deserves to go? And to all the Liverpool fans turning on Rafa, what is wrong with you! He may sometimes waste money but he has brought in a whole new squad, a squad who WHEN FIT (;)) could win the Premier league... Fans like that are a let down :l

Even if he was sacked... We wouldn't even have enough money to replace him, especially with a manager that AlMiller79 clearly just randomly picked out of a hat like Mourinho, O'Niell and Mancini...

Read the earlier threads & you will find Mourinho & Mancini are mentioned,so i didn't just randomly pick names out of a hat! Plus i don't even remember mentioning that Rafa should go!

i think liverpool should give martin o'neill the manager's job look what he did at celtic and what he has done at aston villa

What has he done....? His managerial achievements really are not impressive.. He's won NOTHING with Villa, and in 5 years at Celtic won the league 3 times... This isn't amazing.. Whereas in 3 years at Valencia, Rafa won la Liga twice and won a UEFA cup... Yeah O'Neill plays good football, but he's not the kind of manager we need at Liverpool right now.

Rafa needs to stay, for now. Maybe if we keep losing then something has to be done.. But he really shouldn't be sacked..

GaboneseTiger... You really are talking nonsense mate.. I don't know what your problem with Liverpool is.. But City have bought some absolutely terrible players but just because of the endless stream of money coming from that fat chairman you just replace them... When you are in Liverpool's financial position, and only then will I take anything you say seriously :)
P.s lol at all the bans >_<

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

Read the earlier threads & you will find Mourinho & Mancini are mentioned,so i didn't just randomly pick names out of a hat! Plus i don't even remember mentioning that Rafa should go!

Only the Mourinho and Mancini part was aimed at you..

Last edited:
I think he deserves more time, I mean it's still early doors and he's got alot of Key Players out. I'd give him until Christmas, or at least until he's had a few games with a full squad.

you never know liverpool might beat man u and go on a great run of games picking up pionts

Just saw the odds, Daglish is the favorite, Mourinho second and some Japanese manager is 3rd. But some good news for Liverpool fans, they are actually favourite for a tournament. The Europa League :)

No it's

Dalglish 9/4
Mourinho
Mancini
Klinsmann
Oswaldo de oliveira (Brazilian)
O'Neill 16/1
McLaren 16/1

These people are rubbish why would we give them the job. I personally like the prospect of Beckham 500/1 or Southgate at 50/1 LOL!

Check it out for yourself here, SKY SPORTS BET, most of these people are complete no-hoper's.

No it's

Dalglish 9/4
Mourinho
Mancini
Klinsmann
Oswaldo de oliveira (Brazilian)
O'Neill 16/1
McLaren 16/1

These people are rubbish why would we give them the job. I personally like the prospect of Beckham 500/1 or Southgate at 50/1 LOL!

Check it out for yourself here, SKY SPORTS BET, most of these people are complete no-hoper's.

mcclaren....your worrying me

Andy how are they rubbish?

Well McLaren at 16/1... That's worrying, and a random Brazilian manager at 8/1... And with Zola 25/1 and Ramos at 20/1

These cannot be serious?

Oh yes I am worried about them - But Mourinho and Mancini up there with short odds who have had domestic success for a sustained period of time. Just out of interest, you don't happen to have a scooby who Oswaldo de Oliviera is do you?