England Provisional Squad for the World Cup

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green

Defenders: Glen Johnson, Jamie Carragher, Leighton Baines, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Ledley King, John Terry,

Midfielders: Theo Walcott, Aaron Lennon, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Michael Carrick, Gareth Barry,

Strikers: Wayne Rooney, Peter Crouch, Jermaine Defoe, Emile Heskey

That is the squad that i would i take from the provisional squad, although i wouldn't mind some of the other players that i cut out tbf, this just in my opinion is the best way to go about it

Not sure why everyone is doubting Carragher, he is a very good defender :S

Can players not in the provisional squad still make the squad.

Really disappointed that Upson has been chosen ahead of Sol. Also I would have picked Richards over Carragher, as I feel this WC could have a lot to do with pace. You gotta feel for Bob', had the season of his life whilst Heskey has sat on the bench, and he will be on the plane.

what if Rooney is marked out of the game? can we rely on Heskey to do the business? the answer is a resounding no. at least the likes of Zamora and Cole have it in them to put the ball in the net once in a while.
who says it has to be heskey? this is where rooney comes into the play. rooney actually plays just off and deeper from heskey, almost dropping back into the hole, if the defender follows him it leaves a gap for the midfield to exploit. im sure capello has balanced this all out already.

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

Really disappointed that Upson has been chosen ahead of Sol. Also I would have picked Richards over Carragher, as I feel this WC could have a lot to do with pace. You gotta feel for Bob', had the season of his life whilst Heskey has sat on the bench, and he will be on the plane.
no unless a player is injured they can call in a replacement in exceptional circumstances

Not sure why everyone is doubting Carragher, he is a very good defender :S

Does a lot of rugby tackling though :p

I think its mainly due to the fact that he has offered nothing in qualifiers and just come in for glory because its the World Cup. He shouldn't of acted like a child when he was put 4th choice behind King anyway.

I'm surprised people are choosing Walcott over Johnson, if they're looking at form to make their decision. I can understand the pace difference though.

who says it has to be heskey? this is where rooney comes into the play. rooney actually plays just off and deeper from heskey, almost dropping back into the hole, if the defender follows him it leaves a gap for the midfield to exploit. im sure capello has balanced this all out already.

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

Capello says it has to be Heskey, evidently. That formation won't work against a team like Italy or Brazil, who play with 2 DM's.

Jamie Carragher is a joke. How can he possibly deserve a place in the squad? He's already turned his back on England, just because he couldn't get in the team before, and he's probably had his worst ever season at Liverpool. Poor decision.

That apart, the squad looks pretty good. I'm glad Joe Cole, King and Dawon are in but I think Zamora deserved a shot, at least in the friendlies.

As a West Ham fan, and seen every home game and a few aways this season, i can fully understand why Capello has left out Cole and Upson. Upson is nowhere near the player he use to be, and Cole quite frankly isn't good enough. Parker HAS to go to the WC, he is hundred times better than that fat lump huddlestone who got in the squad with that goal against bolton. Also, Jagielka and Shawcross not in it? Upson, Carragher, Heskey and Barry? Capellos having a mare!

Does a lot of rugby tackling though :p

I think its mainly due to the fact that he has offered nothing in qualifiers and just come in for glory because its the World Cup. He shouldn't of acted like a child when he was put 4th choice behind King anyway.

He is basically a replacement for Wes Brown
2nd choice RB & 4th/5th choice CB

Adam Johnson cannot get into the last 23, surely! He hasnt been capped at all yet - it will be like Theo Walcott in 2006 all over again!

Capello says it has to be Heskey, evidently. That formation won't work against a team like Italy or Brazil, who play with 2 DM's.
i cant read capello's mind but against 2 dm, you'd go 4-2-3-1. brazil dont play with 2 dm's. one sits in the middle of the pitch, the other drops deep into the defensive line, almost as if you have 3 at the back, its how theie full backs are allowed to play so far up the pitch. i guarentee if brazil win the world, you'll see loads of teams playing it next season

what about shaun barker of the mighty derby county :L ... only joking ... looks good apart from carragher who if i remember missed the ball to stop an open goal against athletico madrid :L he is past it now :L

According to the official regulations of the world cup, they can't. The final 23 must be named from the 30 players. But there is an option for Bojan to get the call-up. A player listed on the final list may be replaced in the event of serious injury up until 24 hours before the kick-off of his team’s first match. And that replacement player doesn't have to be on the 30 man list and the replacement has to be approved by the FIFA Medical Committee.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tour...10inhalt_e.pdf Section 26, pages 33-34.

So there is a theoretical possibility.

Milner should play RB. Forget Carragher and Johnson.

Why Carragher and Heskey? Carrick isn't brilliant for england, Hesky isnt going to score and carragher was rubbish this season. why not bobby zamora or carlton cole? why not jagielka or cahill? And i though jack wilshere would be the surprise package but it seems there was more than one surprise package

Why Carragher and Heskey? Carrick isn't brilliant for england, Hesky isnt going to score and carragher was rubbish this season. why not bobby zamora or carlton cole? why not jagielka or cahill? And i though jack wilshere would be the surprise package but it seems there was more than one surprise package
He likes Heskey, as does Rooney.Does a decent job from time to time, also Carra had a poor start but from Nov. onwards was his brilliant self.

you have to take BENT ... daily mail said heskey would be perfect with rooney, are they mad?!?!?!

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

I'd rather play Baines at RB

im with you, baines is a fighter like!

i have a feeling we'll fall short this year because we're bound to take 4 strikers, possibly naming walcot as one again, and you would need 2 strikers in top form to win this year and although rooney plays best coming off of heskey if he gets injuredwe'll have nothing unless we take both defoe and bent. i think that we should play the group stage with bent and defoe up front together, not playing rooney. and then for the knockout rounds we should change to the proven rooney heskey combination. that way we can prevent rooney getting injured early in the tournament like he normally does and he will be fresh and ready to fire whereas the other teams will be abit tired, although not very and hopefully they will have picked up injuries.

Also we should also take crouch as an option because he gives us hight which we lack upfront and everyone gets nervous about this despite the fact he's better with his feet. This could play to our advantage as our opponents wouldn't want us to cross it to him and as such would force us down the middle where carrick could play a killer pass for rooney to run on to or gerrard/lampard could surge through the middle with the ball to support rooney.

at the back we should either play hart or james in goal as they are about equal with green not up to their standered. i would say james is marginally the better keeper due to his experience but it would be better to play hart so he gets the experience of a major tournament.

Then in defence i would go for terry and ferdinand as the centrebacks with carragher and upson as the 2 backup cb's. with glen johnson at rb and cole at lb. i would also take bains as cover and hope that someone gets injured so i can call richards up as a backup to johnson as they appear to be our only decent rb's, let's face it neville can't hack it at this level anymore, and if not i would have to take warnock.

in midfield i would play milner and walcott on the flanks with carrick as a holding centre mid that allows gerrard to play attacking which is when he's at his best. i would put lampard on the bench alongside barry and joe cole. then lennon would make the squad above SWP.

Upfront i would take all 5 strikers as i have already detailed.

this means my squad would be :

GK's hart, james, green 3
DEFENDER'S johnson, terry, ferdinand, cole, carragher, bains, upson, richards 8
MIDFIELDER'S carrick milner gerrard lampard cole barry walcott 7
STRIKER'S defoe bent rooney crouch heskey 5

if i can't take richards then ii would have to take king and use carragher as a bakup rb