England vs Bulgaria

townsend just re-iterated my point. this 4-4-2 is all about the intelligence of the front 6.

Remind me, what's so wrong about the 4-4-2? I seem to remember a certain Uruguay reaching the semis of the World Cup playing that this year.

the thing about Uruguay's 4-4-2 is, essentially, it was so much more than a 4-4-2, their two central midfielders operated almost like the double-pivot midfield you see in modern 4-2-3-1's, that combined with forlan dropping deep off suarez, practically made it a 4-2-3-1. Although, i'd stick my kneck out here, and say that the Uruguay boss was on the best tacticians at the world cup, as he changed his tactics suitably for different games/opposition, to brilliant effect...

disappointed not to see Johnson, if Barry, Milner and Johnson keep playing for man city, thats very good for England, they link well and i think Capello could have possibly tried it, ahh well good luck to walcott none the less.

All these people saying they wont watch England disgust me, i live in America and ive just paid 12 dollars (about 8 pounds) to watch the game, if its your country you should do all you can to watch the game.

EDIT: Theres nothing wrong with 4-4-2. so can we stop this boring debate now? gets old.

the thing about Uruguay's 4-4-2 is, essentially, it was so much more than a 4-4-2, their two central midfielders operated almost like the double-pivot midfield you see in modern 4-2-3-1's, that combined with forlan dropping deep off suarez, practically made it a 4-2-3-1. Although, i'd stick my kneck out here, and say that the Uruguay boss was on the best tacticians at the world cup, as he changed his tactics suitably for different games/opposition, to brilliant effect...

Someone's been reading their zonalmarking. :P

Really, the point I made didn't really scratch the surface. See all of madsheep and andy townsend's points - much more in depth and echo my thoughts on the subject.

Really, the point I made didn't really scratch the surface. See all of madsheep and andy townsend's points - much more in depth and echo my thoughts on the subject.
Ill make a quick point, Harry Redknapp plays 4-4-2 every game, look at the world class jobs hes done with the teams he has managed, ferguson uses 4-4-2 sometimes, im finding it confusing to see whos arguing on which side.

this little spell is exactly what i mean, we didnt get anywhere near this kind of movement before south africa. now its about the thinking of the players, less is more in this case. he has set up a framework in which the players should do their natural thing

i have been reading zonal marking, but i knew most of that anyway (H) and tbf, Andy Townsend talks **** half of the time...

this little spell is exactly what i mean, we didnt get anywhere near this kind of movement before south africa. now its about the thinking of the players, less is more in this case. he has set up a framework in which the players should do their natural thing
ive always said, the formation is just a framework, which is why i say nothing is wrong with a 4-4-2, this one looks more fluid and more freedom is being used, you could play a fluid 6-3-1 if you wanted, as i said, its just a framework.

Madsheep, I have to say, Gerrard is proving you so, so wrong in terms of you doubting his discipline.

Madsheep, I have to say, Gerrard is proving you so, so wrong in terms of you doubting his discipline.
maybe so, but its 4-4-2 vs 4-4-2. very different to a 3 man mid where its more important

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

dont get me wrong though. i would be very happy to be proved wrong as it can only be good for england

ive noticed something, when England have the ball, a diamond is formed sometimes, with gerrard playing deeper than barry oO)

maybe so, but its 4-4-2 vs 4-4-2. very different to a 3 man mid where its more important

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

dont get me wrong though. i would be very happy to be proved wrong as it can only be good for england

When would Gerrard ever play Centre Mid in a midfield 3?

England 1-0 Bulgaria
Gerrard 1-0 Madsheep

:P
lol. as ive said its 4-4-2 vs 4-4-2 though. different kettle of fish. i could end up eating a lot of humble pie at the end of this but if it leads to a great england performance i dont care

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

that would have been a lovely goal

Last edited:
Yeah, bit of a shame it didn't go in. Nice stuff though.

Selfish from Wazza, Stevie was through on his right.

Jesus H Motherplucking Christ... That was close.

Oooh, that looks nasty for Dawson. I hope he's okay...

Back