England vs Ghana - Tues 29th March

• Thread starter Thread starter DMF
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 478
  • Views Views 26K
I'll just leave this here...

Preview: England vs Ghana

England are on a high after destroying Wales in Cardiff at the weekend. At 2-0, the scoreline could have been more, with the 4-3-3 formation that Fabio Capello deployed working perfectly. Particularly impressive were players like Scott Parker, Jack Wilshere and Ashley Young, with the seamless England system looking fluid and slick. This was nevertheless helped by an insipid Wales performance, with star man Gareth Bale out and key players Aaron Ramsey and Craig Bellamy handled well by the England fullbacks and Scott Parker respectively.

Ghana are also full of confidence after a 3-0 away win against the Congo. Goals from Dominic Adiyiah, Prince Tagoe and Sulley Muntari sealed a convincing win for the Black Stars, who sit joint top of Group I in the African Cup of Nations qualifying. With a strong squad filled with young and ambitious players, Ghana possess particular squad depth in defence and midfield. Their attack, whilst thin on quality past the first teamers, nevertheless possesses a superb striker on a hot streak in Asamoah Gyan and the rising talent of Marseille’s Andre Ayew.

Thanks to the changeable nature of these international friendlies, it is hard to predict who will be picked, and who left out. Nevertheless, an educated guess would be for more or less the strongest available squads for each team.

engvsghapreview.png

Numbers don't necessarily mirror those to be used in the match. Solid lines represent attacking movement, dotted lines defensive movement.

England predicted lineup:

1. Joe Hart
  2. Glen Johnson
  3. Leighton Baines
  4. Phil Jagielka
  5. Gary Cahill
  6. Scott Parker
  7. Gareth Barry
  8. Jack Wilshere
  9. James Milner
  10. Stewart Downing
  11. Andy Carroll

Ghana predicted lineup:

1. Richard Kingson
  2. John Paintsil
  3. Jonathan Mensah
  4. John Mensah
  5. David Addy
  6. Anthony Annan
  7. Kwadwo Asamoah
  8. Sulley Muntari
  9. Dominic Adiyiah
  10. Andre Ayew
  11. Asamoah Gyan

If the lineups are as I predict, England will proceed with the successful 4-3-3 system, with Jack Wilshere moving over to the right hand of midfield and Gareth Barry slotting in on the left. It remains to be seen whether Scott Parker will start due to him carrying a slight niggle, but if he does it will most likely be in the defensive holding position he did so well in at the weekend. With a more functional partner than Frank Lampard alongside him, there will be much more of an onus on Wilshere to create: this situation is exacerbated by Wayne Rooney’s replacement most likely being James Milner. On Saturday, Rooney played a deep, playmaking role, giving England plenty of routes of attack with Lampard and Wilshere also taking turns to dictate play.

This is a potential problem with England, one that was highlighted all too well by Aaron Ramsey’s struggles as his team’s only creative outlet. Marked out of the game by Parker, Ramsey couldn’t provide the killer ball needed with any consistency, and Wales had no other players capable of taking up the mantle. This problem is made all the more glaring when you look at Ghana’s likely midfield three. Kwadwo Asamoah and Anthony Annan are energetic, hard working workhorses, as well as Sulley Muntari, who is more likely to be deployed in an attacking role. With Asamoah likely to be deployed slightly ahead of Annan, he is likely to be given the role of tracking Wilshere’s runs, with Annan offering a second line of defence. This will put some onus on Gareth Barry to get forward: instead of Annan and Asamoah both focusing on Wilshere, one will have to track Barry’s runs or let him go free. With a one on one situation, Asamoah will need to have an exceptionally good game to stop Arsenal’s starlet influencing the game at all.

James Milner’s defensive solidity may also be an asset on England’s left. With Andre Ayew likely to be deployed on Ghana’s right, he will be useful in tracking the dangerman’s outside to in runs. On top of that, John Paintsil (suck it Joss), Ghana’s right back, is handy at getting forward, so to have England’s best defender and a disciplined winger on the same flank as both of them is a boon Capello surely won’t pass up. On the England right it is a different story; with Glen Johnson up against the a winger who is still to be decided, though Dominic Adiyiah is the most likely candidate, and most likely Stewart Downing up against either the substandard David Addy or the out of position Samuel Inkoom. As a result, expect the majority of England’s attacks to come down this side.

In both flanks, however, the emphasis will be on getting the fullbacks into play. Both Johnson and Baines like getting forward, and the use of Downing and Milner as inverted wingers would both allow this and also take some of the playmaking burden off Wilshere. As for the rest of the team, the overlapping runs of the fullbacks and wingers should provide ample crosses for Andy Carroll to work with, and his hold-up skills will be useful for bringing Wilshere into play with his cutting runs from deep. At the back, Jagielka’s pace should complement the ball-playing capability of Gary Cahill.

For Ghana, their gameplan will probably centre around outmuscling England in midfield and releasing their dangerman on the counter. Muntari will likely act as a playmaker, with driving runs from deep before feeding Ayew or Gyan, whose all round game will come in handy to allow him to adapt to the situation. Expect Adiyiah or similar to stay wide, provide width, and test Johnson, whilst Ayew will look to come inside to offer a direct goal threat and avoid Baines.

Last edited:
Boateng is injured

Meanwhile, I'm surprised at the number of people tipping our country to lose to the english... We are at this point in time 16th in the world officially and the best team in Africa (officially). We have benefitted from a growing and tremendous footballing culture back in Ghana and play good football. Our team is young and fearless, and we will not show you too much respect. I feel that releasing five quality players like that can only work against you. This is a Ghana that has seen a massive rise in quality since 2006. 2006 World Cup where we were knocked out of the second round, 2010 where we were heartbreakingly dumped out of the quarters and we can only get better (note we were the youngest team at the world cup). Our new coach, the fourth Serbian guy in like 10 years lol, Has instilled a winning and relaxed mentality amongst the squad. Which has been justified by his two games in charge: vs Togo 4-1, vs Congo 3-0. There are no easy games in football (to a degree) Essien will not Play, Prince will not play. Yet you will have to worry about an in-form Dominic Adiyiah who won the golden boot and ball at the U20 world cup, Prince Tagoe who hasbeen scoring for fun at Partizan and is on-form for Ghana, Asamoah Gyan who has proven his worth and justified 13million he was bought for. As well as a budding and talented team that includes the likes of Muntari, Asamoah (Udinese), Annan (Schalke I think), Ayew (Marseille).

I will be at Wembley tomorrow cheering the Black Stars on. 2-1 Ghana!

Thanks for that GodCubed, I do like a good read when i'm waiting for those annoying computer scans to be done.

On a totally TOTALLY different subject, i'm doing a Villa save on FM, unfortunately i can't get any of my strikers to score consistently, got any tips? I read your guide and it was a big help in the first half of the season (I've not bought any forwards)

'tis on ITV.

Yay. So much harder doing analysis on a piddly little stream.

Thanks for that GodCubed, I do like a good read when i'm waiting for those annoying computer scans to be done.

On a totally TOTALLY different subject, i'm doing a Villa save on FM, unfortunately i can't get any of my strikers to score consistently, got any tips? I read your guide and it was a big help in the first half of the season (I've not bought any forwards)

I'll VM you.

I predict this will be a very boring match which has no relevance at all!!! All the more worse it is on ITV which means a very dreary boring build up and end from Adrian Chiles coupled in with his extremely **** jokes this would be a very boring 90minutes of my life!!!

I hope im wrong

oh yeah score 0-0

Last edited:
You guys underrate us so much :(
The reason England have never lost to african opposition is because you haven't played us yet ;)

The reason England have never lost to african opposition is because you haven't played us yet ;)

Not underrating you at all. Read what people have said: we think you'll be tough opposition.

This my main concern/ anger art Terry being pulled out;

Wouldn't mind so much if Barry wasn't so ********* awful. I'd give it to Cole or Rooney for this game.

Cole and Rooney have both been released early. Barry is the most experienced player in the squad now with 45 caps. After him it's Crouch with 42, and he's not exactly captain material.

Give it to Jack!

Not really fussed who's captain for Wed tbh. Don't really think it matters that much and I'm incredibly uninspired ahead of this friendly. Just want Wilshere home safe ;)

I see. You're completely right though, the captaincy is a pretty minor issue. Maybe Jags? I like Jags.

Maybe you guys should have given the armband to Lennon?

I'd give it to Jags or Parker. Like Parkers tireless workrate during games. Puts some world class players to shame sometimes

what about baines? he would be a good captain i feel 3-1 england - carroll lennon and young? is young playing if not then wilshire

I'd have given it to Jags, but then that would alienate Barry. Having said that, i would have dropped Barry anyway

We have had so many different suggestions for who will LEAD us on tuesday night, we need our captain to be present in every possible game, i dont Barry will play the 90 minutes with City having games coming up and lets be honest, he will be so **** we will need to take him off, so we are going to pass the captain around like there is no tommorrow, Aka Denmark all over again, that is what got us to change the captain in the first place. Now i dont want people to get the wrong impression, i am not saying this is JTs fault, i am saying this is Fabio being clueless again. He should never of released JT from the squad in the first place, He is meant to be his leader, so surely he should be with every england squad ever, when fit playing, when injured with the squad...

If you look around the thread you will see most people have said they expect a tough game, barely anyone expects a routine England win. We may have had a poor world cup but we are no mugs ourselves and are on our home patch :)

This my main concern/ anger art Terry being pulled out;

Give it a rest Scott, Rio isn't captain anymore, get over it.

We have had so many different suggestions for who will LEAD us on tuesday night, we need our captain to be present in every possible game, i dont Barry will play the 90 minutes with City having games coming up and lets be honest, he will be so **** we will need to take him off, so we are going to pass the captain around like there is no tommorrow, Aka Denmark all over again, that is what got us to change the captain in the first place. Now i dont want people to get the wrong impression, i am not saying this is JTs fault, i am saying this is Fabio being clueless again. He should never of released JT from the squad in the first place, He is meant to be his leader, so surely he should be with every england squad ever, when fit playing, when injured with the squad...

Ben if you ever bother to read what i said on the Rio situation, i agreed him not being captain was a good thing for English football, so STFU and GTFO.

Ben if you ever bother to read what i said on the Rio situation, i agreed him not being captain was a good thing for English football, so STFU and GTFO.

Calm down ladies.

Lets all be friends |)

Yes but 99% of people have said either draw or win, implying that you expect England not to lose, therefore underestimating what we can deliver on the day :(

Yet you disagree with Terry being captain?

Yes but 99% of people have said either draw or win, implying that you expect England not to lose, therefore underestimating what we can deliver on the day :(
not really, theres no denying we are favourites on home turf but expect a tough game

Back