Welcome!

FM Base has been serving the Football Manager community for nearly two decades and we're keen to ensure that we are here for two decades more.

Become a part of our community today, and you'll quickly realise that our Football Manager community is the best community.

Register
Reaction score
hi guys, just completed 2nd season and im safe to say i am very happy with the tactic, it has gone through many changes over the 2 seasons and is currently in its 4.3 version since version 1 lol great passing play, shots per match in abundance and better clear chances, not barcelona style possession but always in control of matches and playing in opp half.

2nd season finished with 4 cups including league title most goals for in league, 6th best defence and highest gd.
not sure if this tactic is a plug and play but if any body would like to try it just ask be interested to know the outcome

Reaction score
I play 4-4-2 and i have nothing but praise for this thread, it single handedly saved my season with sheffield united! I was on the verge of relegation in the championship and things needed to change. employed the tactic and ended up finishing 10th, if i had played it all season i would have been contesting for play-off or even automatic promotion. Would add a screen shot but dont know how. lol

Reaction score
Hi,

First post here, but I've read the thread and been around for a while now.

Now to my Question:

I've made a 4-2-3-1 and, by looking in this thread, created a possession tactic that works pretty well. Specially since the last update, which fixed the 'first touch' in the game and made it alot "better". Lets the players get hold of the ball instead of letting it bounce away from 'em.

BUT!.... And theres a big but (hehe).

Although I have around 75% possession in every game, but only 7 shots at goal, and around 1-2 ON the actual goal. Went unbeaten from August to march with Liverpool. Now I'm in first of may and havent won a match since beginnig of march.

Still with about 70% possession but no I don't score any goals anymore, and the shots have decreased! I know I have to sacrifice some of the possession for CCC but exactly how do I do this? What should i put the emphasis on?

Reaction score
Ok, let's try some brainstorming guys

Imagine a 4-3-3 / 4-5-1, possession style, it can be either a Control / Balanced or Control / Fluid (although a lot of FM users are theoryzing Counter-Attack), shorter passing, width narrow, low tempo, low time wasting. These are fundamentals to keep the ball. The point here is that after all the tactics I tested about possession and Barcelona, the one with better possession is the one that has the option "Hold the Ball" for all players (or at least midfielders and forwards).

But as we see Barcelona playing, no one holds the ball, right? It's all about movement and keep delivering and receving the ball. So, this can be translated in FM by using more roaming, move from position and move into channels to midfielders and forwards without holding the ball option beeing active. Right ??? Now, if applying these options what would be best ? Pass into feet ? Pass to space ?

Also, we all use low tempo, low time wasting and width narrow in these tactics. Narrow (or normal) is ok, players should more closer to each other. But thinking about Barcelona playing, we could assume that they use a lot of time wasting... but an active one: constantly delivering and receiving the ball is an active time wasting and if we add this to a high tempo, we would be telling players to get to attack faster but to keep passing the ball at the attack. Right ???

Reaction score
Ok, let's try some brainstorming guys

Imagine a 4-3-3 / 4-5-1, possession style, it can be either a Control / Balanced or Control / Fluid (although a lot of FM users are theoryzing Counter-Attack), shorter passing, width narrow, low tempo, low time wasting. These are fundamentals to keep the ball. The point here is that after all the tactics I tested about possession and Barcelona, the one with better possession is the one that has the option "Hold the Ball" for all players (or at least midfielders and forwards).

But as we see Barcelona playing, no one holds the ball, right? It's all about movement and keep delivering and receving the ball. So, this can be translated in FM by using more roaming, move from position and move into channels to midfielders and forwards without holding the ball option beeing active. Right ??? Now, if applying these options what would be best ? Pass into feet ? Pass to space ?

Also, we all use low tempo, low time wasting and width narrow in these tactics. Narrow (or normal) is ok, players should more closer to each other. But thinking about Barcelona playing, we could assume that they use a lot of time wasting... but an active one: constantly delivering and receiving the ball is an active time wasting and if we add this to a high tempo, we would be telling players to get to attack faster but to keep passing the ball at the attack. Right ???
1) holding up ball is a good way to "stop play" and look for options and allow team mates to get into better positions to receive the ball.. however, the player holding up the ball would need good: strength/balance/decision stats! I have mentioned it here, it is a very good idea to set your main playmakers up with that and its also good for Target men! (ie. Carrol)

2) pass to feet mate :) if you see what pass to feet is actually doing it says its best used for technically gifted players as this draws opposition out of position in an attempt to create pockets of space

3) that is debatable mate. some people play wide and quick and use the whole field. yes these are all idea's mate :) that is the purpose of this thread, now go an implement these and see if they work for you :)

good luck

Reaction score
I have noticed that in this tactic of yours, you are using the midfielder as the target man with pass to feet. I believe this simple detail makes the difference to allow the midfielder to have more than 100 passes, right ?

Reaction score
I have noticed that in this tactic of yours, you are using the midfielder as the target man with pass to feet. I believe this simple detail makes the difference to allow the midfielder to have more than 100 passes, right ?
well there is no tactic here, this is a discussion thread :)

if you are referring to the Short and Sweet tactic I made for FM12 then yes it was done on purpose to encourage that one player to get on the ball as much as possible :)

I have not tried to make a possession tactic in FM13 as I don't like them anymore to be honest so have not tried it on the new match engine

Reaction score
Oh ok, I was referring to the link you gave me :)

I was not stating in the previous post that I am correct. Just wondering and trying to get ideas about these issues :)

Reaction score
Oh ok, I was referring to the link you gave me :)

I was not stating in the previous post that I am correct. Just wondering and trying to get ideas about these issues :)
no worries mate :) I just said go and try them and get back to us. thats the whole thing about this thread, idea's and testing and sharing :) good luck

Reaction score
Any ideas what to configure to get a more solid defense? My CB and FB's often pass the ball straight to a opponnent, having trouble getting de ball to the opponents half. Now i just play around with GK-CB-FB-DM

Reaction score
That has to do with their mentality and cf, check it

More attacking mentality more agressive the pass, i.e., more passing forward. CF it is related to offer the player the possibility to decide for himself. It must be balanced, if it is to low you are in fact saying to him that he is dumb and should not decide nothing; if it is to high, we will take more risky options.

Reaction score
That has to do with their mentality and cf, check it

More attacking mentality more agressive the pass, i.e., more passing forward. CF it is related to offer the player the possibility to decide for himself. It must be balanced, if it is to low you are in fact saying to him that he is dumb and should not decide nothing; if it is to high, we will take more risky options.
Yeah thanks alot. Will def try that!

Reaction score
Read this (The deep winger and beating the 4-2-3-1) piece just now and found it interesting. Although not really news I still hadn't put that much thought in it since i always put my wingers in AM-position when i create the 4-2-3-1-tactics.

Any ideas on how to get the wingers to work more defensive? the forementioned gap between full backs and wingers is a very common problem for me.

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to CCC's on the latest patch? I know more than enough on the possession side as I can get around 750 passes a game with 1 player getting 90+. I just need to know how to get CCC's as I have around 20 shots a game but I either lose or just win by a slim margin due to not finishing them off. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to CCC's on the latest patch? I know more than enough on the possession side as I can get around 750 passes a game with 1 player getting 90+. I just need to know how to get CCC's as I have around 20 shots a game but I either lose or just win by a slim margin due to not finishing them off. Any ideas?
are you using classic or modern tactics?

increasing tempo and PPM's such as play's one two's for strikers and amc's is a good idea.. beat offside trap and move into channels

through balls (high freedom) however, this would affect your overall passes, but I would rather have 500 passes and say 6 key passes and 3 ccc's than 1000 passes, 0 key passes and 0 ccc's.

sacrifice possession to create chances :) its a must