Football Manager 2012 New Features You Would Like to See

The only thing I want from fm is to be able to build international youth academies just like Arsenal, Liverpool, Juventus etc. that have academies all over Europe.

Be able to talk to the chairman regarding transfers and why you need that player.

Don't know if it has been mentioned before but maybe actually being able to win an appeal to red card.

I don't mean everytime of course but if you have valid grounds for the appeal then maybe havinf the red card overturned rather simply being denied then getting an extra two game ban for your player

this is what I would like to see implemented to make it more realistic :)

"just one thing I have about the 11.3 patch which I might want to raise is that instead of having players like Carrol/Torres at their new clubs at the start of the game, SI should programme it in that they only arrive in Jan when they were actually signed in real life as Chelsea did not have Torres from August to Jan :) thats my 2 cents worth anyway..."

from a VM I sent a member recently... thats what I think should be implemented....

CA/PA is a basic and unrealistic system. I'd like it to be much more intricate. I don't think a person's potential is ever fixed in their life. A previously considered poor player with a good manager can thrive (Fletcher?) and what were once considered hot prospects have fizzled out after a poor move to a new club. This isn't reflected in the CA/PA system. At the very least I'd like to see PA have flexibility (perhaps 10% either way) based on a player's adaptability to the new club, length of time there and coaching. Which implies the training scheduling, which is also pretty basic (compared to a real manager's options), could also be changed.

@ mkw101 : Well, I have no problems with having a fixed upper limit of someone's potential ability and since we're playing a video game, it's only natural to categorize that maximum possible talent on a scale in the same way we do with current player attributes. But does that upper end of a player's skill really mean every player will always reach it? Personally I don't believe that, but lets see:

The much more important question should be about the player's development. What must a club provide in order to allow a player to develop to his maximum potential? The club's training facilities must be (very) good and the training schedule - and through coaches its ratings - must work well, either with individual schedules or collectively. What's left then?

Right, only the player itself is left if everything else is optimized already. There may be some attributes like work rate, determination or the (not numerically displayed) personality attributes like ambition which influence the speed of improvement and the maximum level someone can reach. From following my youth training efforts through several years or decades (and during the previous FM games maybe even a century or two) of progress, I know for a fact that the player itself still hugely limits the development, even though all other factors (facilities, coaches, schedules) were close to perfect.

So I'm of the belief that all of those things already exist in the game. The thing is that most of it, beginning with the CA/PA values, is hidden from our view and so we'll never know beforehand how far a player will be able to develop. That doesn't mean the feature doesn't already exist, you just can't access it or calculate it (not even with an ingame editor).

What you're proposing sounds more like a more flexible way to calculate training progress due to external influences. I know that difficulties to settle result in weaker performances in matches, but that's only ever happened to me when I signed foreigners who had no way to communicate with other players. That should already cover your request if it also influences the player's training progress, though it may be an area of the game which could be improved upon. It has to be said however, that I'm happy with the current system of CA/PA and the ambiguous training system which doesn't let you predict a player's accurate training progress. There are certainly many other parts of the newgen system which could be improved without changing too much of a good thing.

On a completely different note, I recently read a preview of Electronic Arts' new FIFA Manager 12. One of those features, a squad analysis screen, sounds fantastic and may just be what gives the game a much needed push from mediocrity. The Football Manager already has had the basics of this feature for the past few years, only you guys know it as the Assistant Manager's Team Report. While our Team Report is limited to a basic 442 lineup, the squad analysis allows one to use your own lineups. Instead of just seeing your best players in an optimal lineup, EA's FIFA Manager will show you which parts of your current match-lineup are strong and which positions need to be strengthened, which players are the most likely rising stars in your team and which (young) players you might want to loan out or sell. There's also the suggestion of players you might want to offer an extended contract, a feature which already exists in a different form in our FM unrelated to the Team Report.

Well, I personally doubt that EA will be able to get this analysis tool to work as well as it sounds, but it certainly drives home the point, don't you think? This squad analysis is something which AI teams will benefit from, which will allow them to make better and hopefully more realistic moves on the transfer market. I believe that the transfer system in FM needs a serious overhaul and now I see something akin to that in a competing product. Of course I want something just as good if not better for my beloved Football Manager.

1) Not so many feckin easy chances missed.

2) More Teamtalks.

3) More realism in stadiums , celebrations , press conferences, news and transfers.

4) "just one thing I have about the 11.3 patch which I might want to raise is that instead of having players like Carrol/Torres at their new clubs at the start of the game, SI should programme it in that they only arrive in Jan when they were actually signed in real life as Chelsea did not have Torres from August to Jan thats my 2 cents worth anyway...

5) Nicer Boards

6) To be able to tempt players after they dont wont to enter negotiations.

7) Better Graphics (even though the current ones are brilliant)

8) For Players not to be unhappy after you reject a bid for them.

9) Add more depth to training and tactics.

10) More 3d stuff like training , dressing room giving teamtalks to players , Your office looking at the news and talking to players , Boardrooms and press conferences.

More detailed administrative information on the club and it's facilities.

I don't know if someone has said this but I would like when a club (e.g Man City) bid for one of your players and you rejected the bid, then the player asks for a transfer request and tries to push through a deal if they want to join that club kinda like the modric situation. I think you should be able to give your a chairman a list of players you want to buy and then he tells you what players to buy off the list

Lower agents fee. Do they really can get 7mil from one transfer in real life?

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but if you’re a successful manager there should be manager interviews with leading mags (like 4-4-2) which sit down and try to get a greater insight into the manager, a close up. talking about favorite players, vision for club, commitment to club, and relationship with board etc

The ability to actually see a generated image of your stadium instead of just part of the inside of it on matchdays. This can work for when contructing a new stadium or new stands alla LMA Manager.

A better use of the director of football. Most Directors of Footballs jobs is that the managers give them a detailed description of a type of player they want, and the DoF goes out and finds them/secures them. Or he comes back to you with a list of players suitable to the role and your teams level.

I think its also going to be interesting to see how FM implements the FIFA Financial Fair Play ruling. There may have to be vast improvements in club finance details

I'd like to see top 10 lists, as far as club and country history is concerned. I've been with my club for a long time and while it has the leading scorer, most league appearances, player of the year, etc, listed, I would love to be able to see a table with the club's top ten appearance leaders, goal scorers, assists, etc. Same for international. I'd also be interested to see a top ten list for players under my management, like who made the most starts or scored the most goals under my watch.

Here's my wish list...

1) I would like to be able to view a players report card whilst they are on loan ¬_¬. I would like to be able to see progress....

2) Be able to sell some players for reasonable prices. Tried selling Crouch, Keane and Bentley on my Spurs save recently and eventually had to offer Crouch for 900k before someone bidded, 600k for Keane and 1.5m for Bentley. Highly ridiculous.

3) Better and more advanced board negotiations. e.g. when asking for a new stadium, to be able to request the size of the stadium, as when with Wealdstone, I asked the board for a new stadium in the BSS and my current capacity was 3k and they built a new one with 5k capacity only for me to need a new stadium again a few years later in the football league.

4) To be able to request a partnership/affiliation with a team, e.g. with Ajax so you can take some of their youngsters.

5) Build Scouting camps and perhaps hold trials, where local free players turn up so you don't always have to troll through looking for people.

6) Less ridiculous ME. Stupid glitches happen which costs me crucial points. Annoying.

Thats all I could think of off the top of my head.

Along the lines of being able to do something with you wage:

I always notice how odds are given for the matches; wouldn't it be fun if you could bet on games!?

There could be possibilities for match fixing, which could be funny.

A new player development system.

-the way it currently is, all players have firmly defined potential abilities once the game starts, not very realistic. there should be a way players are able to exceed (or drop) their potential, the way players like Lampard/Jeffers did in the past. set a limit of around 20-30 PA points for any player with PA under 150. Various factors could influence it; managers and coaches, training facilities, club rep and division, form.

-Players should have capacity to keep improving into their late 20's, allowing for late bloomers (eg. Zamora)

-Another good inclusion would be a very rare "Star player" tick box for the likes of Ronaldo, Messi, Xavi, that would prevent their stats from being cancelled out by the game engine. (we all get annoyed that Messi's stats always seem to drop from the start, eg. all his 20 stats dropping to 19) this exists so that players don't get a godly amount of goals that would "ruin the game"... problem is, these players do, and should be immune to it because of their undoubted quality.

other improvements

-easier to buy players for their standard value.

-more bidding wars, and rich clubs pushing up the value of target transfers.

-clubs stop buying sub standard players they don't need. I've seen Landon Donovan to Chelsea, Demba Ba to Barcelona and Jermaine Jenas to Inter.

Last edited:
a half-time talk interaction that sounds like "i want to see all of you dead" or "you are an absolute disgrace to the game of football"

I really want to be able to play the advantage of a foul.

So many times a player gets bumped, but then gets a run of goal but play is stopped for a free kick.

Back