Football Manager 2014 - New Features / Changes you would like to see

The ability to mark players in your squad (highlight them basically). I get so many good young players in intakes that I don't notice again for 2/3 years until it's pointed out by my AssMan.

I would like the Hall of Fame be separated by save. So that my name from 1 save won't be atop all of the HOF lists! Small change, but something I would really love. I like to switch saves instead of switching jobs, so this would be really appreciated.

Sigh. i wonder if anyone actually reads these comments that could implement these changes anyways. one can hope.

The ability to complain to the FA about referees etc. Also better scout reports and an assistant who offers advice on how to set up. I don't want it to play the game for me, just give a little help instead of criticising when you set up wrong.

Oh, and also the ability to use a little gamesmanship. For example, if an opposition player is particularly aggressive, or has a poor disciplinary record, maybe wind him up pre match and then have an option to set one of your players to wind him up during the game.

1. Some kind of add all players to shortlist. I'm sick of getting 150 messages about players being removed from shortlist and having to auto click add to shortlist 150 times.

2. The ability to let your scout remove players from your shortlist that he believes are not good enough for your club. Maybe once a month. I like playing small teams and by the time I hit the prem I have 500 players with 1-2 stars that I'll never buy.

It's like the makers of this game think that manually doing things makes you feel more "pro" or realistic. It's just a pain and requires patients above all. So I guess I want more automated options.

3. I also want players to get mad if you play them in a possision they don't want to play like Walcott wanting to be a striker and not a winger.

4. When I play a small squad I sometimes put the GK on as a striker or a DC if we are winning 5-0 or the game is lost just to keep other players fit. Nobody seems to care about that. I would think something like that would make the fans really angry. I remember David James coming on as a striker with city (think it was him) once and the newspapers and fans went crazy.

I haven't played in a long time so maybe some of this has changed but if not I'd like them to change it in FM 14.

Better interactions with media, players, other managers etc, I think the current media questions and things you can say are very limited, repetitive and boring, there needs to be more options for team talks, team meetings, and media questions.

Also more personal off the pitch issues, eg players being arrested etc etc to mirror the real football world.

The ability to start a game with a new club you start up yourself from scratch

A start of game editor which would allow somehow to edit cup competitions, and to add new competitions, like instead of a league cup in England/Scotland/wales/N.ireland, you could swap it for a home nations league cup for example, re-introduce anglo Italian cup have an home nations mini-league etc just to jazz up a few leagues when you have played them a few times

Bring back the old sliding training schedules, they were one of the main features of the game. I feel no personal gain when I bring a youngster through the ranks anymore.

It would be awesome if you could arrange a testimonial match for a retiring legend (like Carragher) at your team and it would also be nice if you have managed the same team for over 10 years and wanted a new challenge and was resigning from the job, that you could arrange a team meeting to say goodbye to the players and the staff.

In addition to regen loan accessibility I'd suggest more realistic loan fee management. That goes both ways - surely you could train a really top Arsenal/Man Utd youngster while playing him in your first team without having to cough up millions for it.

On the other hand in further seasons you can exploit this for real financial windfall. Ever since season 5 I generate more than 10 million pound monthly income from loans. Currently have more than 70 players out on loan and don't ask how much profit that is...

i think being able to hire sport psychologists to improve players morale and they could give advice to managers to psych out opposition players and managers might be a good feature

When loaning a player there should be an option to only offer him to teams in your country. I've just signed a youth player from PSG (for Ajax), I wanted to loan him out but the only offers were from French teams. If he went to a Dutch club he could adapt better to the culture/playing styles, learn the language etc.

If you move into a new stadium you could choose the name and new capacity with your budget as one time i moved into a new stadium with norwich and they only expanded it by 4000 seats

A lot of things in this thread appear to be far beyond the scope of being a manager (setting ticket prices, sponsors etc.) or could never be implemented due to fear of litigation (you can't have real players doing "extra-curricular" activities and it would be unfair to have just regens acting like divas). Also, things like agents are part and parcel of the real world game, and there are some well known greedy agents out there (£77m was spent IRL in the 10/11 season). And wages are just a measure of reputation within the game, so no real need to use them to spend on anything.

Nevertheless, my personal wishlist is below:
  1. When you scout a report, having some sort of highlight package or dvd available produced by your scout. Maybe get a reminder when that player is next expected to play in a game (but you can't be guaranteed that he will be) so you can attend and watch yourself
  2. Improved contract negotiations. For instance, due to wage budget limits, I was limited to offer players £10,000 a week, but when an older player was willing to accept a cut in his wage from £100,000 to £40,000 I wasn't allowed to offer him this contract as it was over the £10,000 limit, despite an overall decrease of £60,000. Also, maybe the option to explain to a player that you can't offer above a certain amount for a particular part of their contract due to board restrictions, to stop the endless cycle of "I'll give you this, I want this, I'll give you this" etc. I know you can fix certain parts as non-negotiable but maybe if you could explain why to the player they would be more pliable.
  3. More detailed staff responsibilities, such as your *** Man can offer contracts to staff but can't hire new/fire current. Maybe if your DoF approached you with his opinion on the squad and what players he recommends or even the DoF/board could also sign players above your head which you have to fit into your system for instance.
  4. If you could confirm your staff responsibilities as well. For instance, your DoF could offer new contracts but you need to sign it off. Similar with sending players out on loan or *** Man arranging friendlies etc.
  5. More variety in set piece set up. Different options for deep free kicks compared to edge of area free kicks etc. rather than lumping them all into one set-up. Also maybe have different options for different strategies, e.g. if I am leading in the last few minutes, I don't want my centre backs going up for a corner leaving me open to a counter attack. Or a difference between there the throw in is. I don't mind my LB taking a throw in in my own half, but I might want a particular player take it if it is within range of the penalty box for instance.
  6. More flexibility in transfer dates, so you can leave a player at a club until the end of the season for instance. Or at least make it easier to loan the player back to the club you just bought from.
  7. A little bit more intelligence from players requesting first team football. If the player ahead of them in the team is performing well for instance, or the player has been injured recently, they can't expect to be shoe-horned into the squad straight away.
  8. Instead, or as well as, having season by season targets, how about 3-yr and 5-yr plans for clubs. And a little bit more intelligence with expectations from your board. If you overachieved last year, but you lost your key player, don't still expect to be able to still finish higher this season and sacking you if you don't.
  9. Team building days as part of your overall training, particularly if you are having a little bit of bad form or morale etc. And I have yet to have a pre-season training camp actually have an effect on my players.
  10. More information on a players history, rather than just the league form. Include all the other competitions they were in also, like Euro and International.
  11. A lot more variety, or at least re-wording, or press conferences and interactions. They quite repetitive very quickly and you end up clicking through on auto-pilot.
  12. When you are doing badly, and players are concerned, maybe a little more intelligence in when they approach you. For instance, if you won your last match, why are they complaining now, and not before the match? And they always approach you singularly, maybe you could talk to them all at the same time (and not 3 players a day, every day for a week). Or maybe just the captain could approach you.
  13. More information from scouting next opposition, i.e the scout having a little input (depending on his tactical knowledge obviously). For instance, he might suggest that their left back is attacking but lacks pace to get back etc. Or have a few scouts available, so they can watch the previous 2 matches for a team each or something.
  14. Players don't act like headless chickens if you tweak the formation slightly. Just because I have dropped from 2 strikers to a single striker and AM should drop my teams knowledge of the formation as much as suddenly moving to 6 at the back for instance. Similarly, the number of AML/R who can't play ML/R is odd, as there isn't a huge difference between the two really, yet you would think I had just asked them to play in goal.
  15. When you view the average positions of a player after a game, having some sort of option to only look at the last ten minutes or certain portion of the game etc. For instance, I might have pushed my DM forward into a ST position (e.g. Fellaini) for the last 15 minutes, so his average position at the end of the game is currently nonsense.
  16. Just because you say the ref made a bad decision shouldn't get you punished by the FA. IRL you can say what you want as long as you don't accuse the ref of acting unfairly, I believe. Maybe the punishment should be how the ref behaves next time he is in charge of one of your games instead. E.g. if he made a bad decision and you call it out, it might put pressure on him in your favour next time around.
  17. Clubs I buy from never ever subsidise the players wages, whereas nearly every player I sell requires some subsidence from me. Very imbalanced.
  18. Pre-match training reports to help judge which players have been sharp/jaded in training that week
  19. Some sort of interview or something if you apply for another job, not just you had an application in and wait.
  20. When you move club, being able to bring your key staff with you, rather than having to sack all the existing staff and paying money to bring your other staff across from your other cup.
  21. Have possession/without possession tactics, for instance my FB might overlap my IF in possession, but try to get back when we lose possession.
  22. It might be in my head, but you appear to lose scout reports very easily (for instance your scout retires or you move to a new job). It's almost as if the scout stores the knowledge in his head rather than handing you a physical piece of information which you can store indefinitely
More importantly though, I play a lot with another manager over a network. We have a lot of problems with my friends game dropping out when playing over Wi-Fi (I host the game), whether we play within the same room, or he is at his house at the other end of the city (using either laptop or PC). Also, we it comes to our head to head game, the information I have displayed on my screen (player rating, opposition formation etc.) during the match actual flips over to my friends information, as if the game is confused.

Also, ticking play only wed/sat, we get the occasional Sunday game thrown in for good measure, depsite not playing on the sat or wed prior or after.

Lots of ideas, doubt they will be read here though :D

I would love an option for 'sarcastic' tone in press conferences and team talks, epsecially when it comes to talking about referees

The ability to talk to a player/staff member you are trying to negotiate a contract with.

i.e if the player wants 100k+ p/w and you can't afford that, you can talk to the player to try the convince them to drop their demands.

The ability to ask the board to create a "B" team or to put your reserves team in the bottom tier of the country you're in.

The ability to choose a name for a new stadium.

i.e the board would give you the option just like they would when searching for an affiliate if they feel you're trusted enough.

I'd also like to see 2 different kinds of 'managers' (Like in real life). For example, sometimes you will be just the Head Coach, so you have no control over finances, and will solely control training, tactics, and team selection. Aswell as the standard manager who controls everything you do at the moment!

Well - first off - we all agree FM has the best match engine on the market. Now that I have the nice part over with...

1. Give the option to disable items we just dont like - media, personal issues with players,etc.

Above is general. Given the option, there are things each of us would prefer not to be a part of the game.

I like the LLC challenge. I have noticed the following: poor design work at the bottom: should be an overall difficulty setting out of 100%. When you go through at start up and select what you want to activate at various levels... training, match day tactics, finances, transfers, scouting, Youth dev, etc... This sets the details and realistic levels of each aspect of the game. Say, if I do not want to bother with scouting, or individualized player training, then I can set this to a level that I can enjoy while still allowing my team to benefit from that setting.

The incentive to keep the realistic setting high would be the returns on revenue. So if you had it set for 80% and you win $100K, you only get $80. So, the game is easier, but you make less money which should help to keep things in check.

Promo to next league would require a realistic setting out of that 100% to be at a certain number. Thus, by the time you enter PRM league, you should be at 80% - 90%.

This offers an easy way to start up - just like any game out there that uses difficulty settings. It allows everyone to enjoy the game - new comers and veterans alike.

NOTE: the game does lack the true emphasis on revenue. You guys can really do alot with the money aspect of the game - excluding player values. I know, the game was conceived and designed around PRM league and LLC was an after thought. But, since you guys threw it in there, I thought I would offer up my two cents worth.

Thanks for the game.

Hey, i dont know if anyone has mentioned this, but one thing that i think would be very interesting to have at the next installment of FM would be adding sporting funds into the game.

Imagine that you want to buy a player that costs 2 M but you only have 1 M in the transfer budget, you could contact one of the funds that have good relations with your club (again, this would have to be added) and make a proposal to them, in exchange for 1 M to buy the said player, your club would sell them 30% of the pass of that player.
So you could get the money to buy that player and the fund would get 30% of a future transfer, but you could also rebuy that percentage if you so desire at a later time when you have the budget available, the thing is, if the players gains value, it might cost you more than expected.

I think it would add so much to the negotiations aspect of the game and it also fits the reality of football these days, where sporting funds created by rich people connected to football profit from such deals.

I'd love if you we're able to say you would like to manage at certain team without the manager being under pressure or the team being mangerless, example, "Man Utd have such a great history I would to manage them in the future".

When you finally agree a fee with a quality player and you finally try and offer them a contract but they're not interested in joining. E.g I'm pretty sure Falcao wasnt interested in joining Monaco but they offered him a contract with a huge salary and he accepted.
FM 2014 should allow you to at least offer a contract!