Football Manager 2014 - New Features / Changes you would like to see

Player Roles

Ok, this one is a really big deal for me. I hate the way player roles function now. Players shouldn't be able to swap role *****-nilly, and expect them to play well. Take Jermaine Defoe, for example. He plays naturally as a poacher, but his stats are somewhat ok for an advanced forward as well. You shouldn't be able to just switch him into a different position. The players should automatically conform to whatever role they naturally play in.

This is particularly egregious, when you consider how scouting works in the game. I'm looking at Morgan Schneiderlin right now, and he's showing up at four stars for Advanced PM, CM, DLP, B2B, and BWM. That's crazy. Can you think of any player in the world who can just play as pretty much any central midfield role? Schneiderlin should be a deep lying playmaker, and if you try to run him as a b2b midfielder, he should be confused, and fall back into his natural DLP position.

That's my big gripe.

Ok, this one is a really big deal for me. I hate the way player roles function now. Players shouldn't be able to swap role *****-nilly, and expect them to play well. Take Jermaine Defoe, for example. He plays naturally as a poacher, but his stats are somewhat ok for an advanced forward as well. You shouldn't be able to just switch him into a different position. The players should automatically conform to whatever role they naturally play in.

This is particularly egregious, when you consider how scouting works in the game. I'm looking at Morgan Schneiderlin right now, and he's showing up at four stars for Advanced PM, CM, DLP, B2B, and BWM. That's crazy. Can you think of any player in the world who can just play as pretty much any central midfield role? Schneiderlin should be a deep lying playmaker, and if you try to run him as a b2b midfielder, he should be confused, and fall back into his natural DLP position.

That's my big gripe.

I disagree. In real life players often have their roles changed. One example is when substitutions are made in order to change formation/approach. A winger can get asked to drop deeper, which translated to FM would make a winger a wide midfielder instead. Same thing goes for an attacking midfielder, who can get asked to drop deeper, thus making him a central midfielder.

As for players who can play different roles, the first one who comes to mind IRL is Steven Gerrard. I would argue he could play all those roles you mentioned. ****, he can even play as a wide midfielder/winger, a right back, probably even as striker or centre back should he be forced.

Lucas Leiva came to Liverpool as an attacking midfielder, a role he can probably still pull off if need be - but now he's considered a defensive midfielder, who can play both in the CM and DM position, as a deep lying playmaker, a central midfielder (support or defend), a defensive midfielder, anchor man, or ball winning midfielder.

Luis Suarez can play as striker, winger or AMC - in just about any role you assign him to, because of his skill and versatility.

And these are just 3 examples from 1 team. You have to remember that as long as a player is in the same position (like your example with Defoe), the roles you assign are basically just the manager's instructions IRL. Of course Villas-Boas could instruct Defoe to "chase down misplaced through balls or clearances from deep, win possession and lay off passes or crosses to his teammates" (the Advanced Forward description) if he needed him to that. And I'm quite sure Defoe would be able to pull this off on a more than decent level.

1. More realistic transfer and wages. I feel the transfers and wages for average players are way too high. Needs to be more realistic.
2. For players to have their own sponsorship deals and for managers to be able to advise them on the deals they have.
3. For players to be more real. ie - Have there own problems like getting caught speeding, being in the papers more for there personal lives. And for them to comment more on what's going on in and around the club. And for a manager to be able to respond to any of these stories.
4. For the press to be more involved like in real life. ie. Making up stories about managers and players. And maybe see the actual back page of the paper.

They seem to have the match engine sorted and the tactics and training sorted. Now time to make it more realistic in terms of the problems manages and players face off the field and with the press.

for those of us who have pretty basic pc/laptops and dont like to load to many leagues and like to start of unemployed its always hard to get offered the managers job at a top club what i would like to see is in the same way that you can apply for under 21 national jobs we would be able to apply for the reserve team managers position at top clubs if they are available like after a manager gets sacked or something and if this real life under 21 champions league or reserve champions league what ever its going to be called that would be something to aim for

To be able to have a player or staff chat about why you are not going to give them a new contract, then maybe they could try and persuade you to give them a contract.

I disagree. In real life players often have their roles changed. One example is when substitutions are made in order to change formation/approach. A winger can get asked to drop deeper, which translated to FM would make a winger a wide midfielder instead. Same thing goes for an attacking midfielder, who can get asked to drop deeper, thus making him a central midfielder.

As for players who can play different roles, the first one who comes to mind IRL is Steven Gerrard. I would argue he could play all those roles you mentioned. ****, he can even play as a wide midfielder/winger, a right back, probably even as striker or centre back should he be forced.

Lucas Leiva came to Liverpool as an attacking midfielder, a role he can probably still pull off if need be - but now he's considered a defensive midfielder, who can play both in the CM and DM position, as a deep lying playmaker, a central midfielder (support or defend), a defensive midfielder, anchor man, or ball winning midfielder.

Luis Suarez can play as striker, winger or AMC - in just about any role you assign him to, because of his skill and versatility.

And these are just 3 examples from 1 team. You have to remember that as long as a player is in the same position (like your example with Defoe), the roles you assign are basically just the manager's instructions IRL. Of course Villas-Boas could instruct Defoe to "chase down misplaced through balls or clearances from deep, win possession and lay off passes or crosses to his teammates" (the Advanced Forward description) if he needed him to that. And I'm quite sure Defoe would be able to pull this off on a more than decent level.

agree. If it did work as suggested, then a player role X would not be able to play in role at all when using shouts, like get ball forward/pass to feet, run at defence/play through defence etc.

It would be nice if in FM 2014 you were maybe managing a National Team and a player from the same country isn't playing much for his club, you could talk to him about finding a new club or else he won't make the national team squad.

Interim managers, accepting jobs for the end of the season instead of right away

One ive wanted for ages and believe it was on a previous version is interviews for jobs. Your personal ambition and philiosphy could affect whether a chairman is willing to take a risk on you or headhunt you e.g Roberto Martinez Everton (Shoestring budget but good football) & Mourinho Real Madrid (born Winnerin)

Probably already mentioned but i think it would be useful to be able to pay off/down loans with surplus transfer budgets.

Probably already mentioned but i think it would be useful to be able to pay off/down loans with surplus transfer budgets.

The board do this automatically if the club make enough profits at the end of the season.

The board do this automatically if the club make enough profits at the end of the season.

Just a bit weird coz I hardly spent any of my 123m budget and then im guessing it just got added to the 40m i got the next season when it could have gone on something more useful.

"Width"
Would be awesome if you could play with more width in attack and a narrow defanse instead of having the whole team set to play the exact same width. If playing a 4-3-1-2 you wouldnt want your defense to play to wide and you want your two strikers to play wide to make space for your trequartista. But this is not possible making this formation ****.

Don't know if anyone mentioned it, but it would be great if you could load up older databases with the new games. Like playing FM 14 with FM 13 database. (Someone please tell me you can already do that :D)

Hall of Fame for Players, divided by Domestic Divisions/Competitions won, Continental Comps won, International Comps won and Awards won.

1) When you start unemployed would be good to be able apply for reseve/youth manager jobs and gain experience as well as bottom level clubs2) More options on loans - loan back rest of season, clauses for goals scored etc3) More media coverage of known temperamental players in incidents e.g balotellis fire works, Joey Barton Cigars etc Givingyou option to internally disclipine or get rid without players/fans getting on ur back.4) More players considering retirement from injury - was on older version and you could talk them into returing, talk them out of it or jus leave it etc and see what happens5) More variety on media interviews6) Job interviews for interested clubs when applyingjust off top of my head

2) More options on loans - loan back rest of season, clauses for goals scored etc

You can loan them back until the end of the season, you just put the 'transfer date' as 'end of season'.

3) More media coverage of known temperamental players in incidents e.g balotellis fire works, Joey Barton Cigars etc Givingyou option to internally disclipine or get rid without players/fans getting on ur back.

You can also discipline players, on their profile screens go into 'more actions' then 'discipline'. I am fairly sure they are not allowed to make up stories about real life people like that, as they could find it offensive. Occasionally stuff like that can happen to regens though (very rarely, only seen it 2 or 3 times)

1) Scout/coach information on trial, loan and former players should not be lost when the player is done with your side (but by all means let it get outdated without further scouting)
2) Scouts should be able to scout players from outside of the scouting range if the player is playing in a friendly or tournament within scouting range
3) One use for a Manager['s salary should be that the Manager should be able to scout a world cup or continental championship on his/her own income (assuming it is sufficient) if held in the off season.
4) Scouts should have input into the quality and potential of their own team's players (and initial scout reports not lost/replace by coach report when a player joins).
5) A Manager should have access to more information, even if only a coach report, about players that play against his team...depending upon cups, you might see a player 4 or 5 times in a season and that should count for something more than it currently does.
6) Manager observation should generate some useful scouting information.

If any of this exists in some way pleaselet me know :)

I'd like to see the AI become better/smarter/more complicated tactically.