Frank Rijkaard set for Liverpool?

• Thread starter Thread starter joel-lfc
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 207
  • Views Views 13K
bit more of an update on the story, This is getting passed about facebook, again, Could be a load of s**t but..

According to sources close to Frank Rijkaard, Liverpool FC have made contact with his representatives in regards to a possible managerial roll at anfield. Liverpool will give current manager Roy Hodgson two more games before the make the approach. They will wait until Napoli and Blackburn (Thursday, Sunday) and if Roy Hodgson fails to take maximum points from both games they will officially approach the ex-Barcelona manager Sunday evening. Rijkaard who currently managers Galatasaray is day's away from leaving his post and has made it very clear he would accept the Liverpool job.

Edit: Found were this has came from,its a bookies website... :S
http://totalodds.net/Nwillryd_329871.html

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 10:21 PM ----------]

Bit more stuff coming out this morning.... :)

Dutch coach Frank Rijkaard has his sights set on managing his former club Ajax, despite speculation that Liverpool's new owners have lined him up as a replacement for Roy Hodgson if deemed necessary

Rijkaard enjoyed a five-year spell coaching Barcelona and took over as boss at Turkish giants Galatasaray just over a year ago. Things have not gone well for Rijkaard at Galatasaray and following a 4-2 defeat to lowly Ankaragucu, speculation is rife that he will be given the sack.

Rijkaard's name has been mentioned in recent days as a possible option for Liverpool, should their position deteriorate further, necessitating the removing of Roy Hodgson from the Anfield hot seat.

Spanish daily 'Sport' reports that although the Liverpool job would appeal to Rijkaard, he is also keen to take over at his former club Ajax, where he enjoyed two spells as a player at either end of his playing career. Rijkaard established himself as an international midfielder at Ajax, before enjoying a wildly successful spell at AC Milan.

According to 'Sport', Rijkaard would welcome a return to Ajax as coach, with Dutch legend Johan Cruyff willing to return to the club as sporting director. Cruyff was Rijkaard's coach during his first spell as an Ajax player.
http://www.imscouting.com/global-ne...turns-attention-from-Liverpool-to-Ajax/11430/

Its so strange late Monday night it was said that NESV had confirmed they were looking for a new manager but it hasnt been reported by any major media sources and NESV themselves havent released a press release or anything. I think maybe it was Bull**** but Roy is on borrowed time unless we start wining soon.

Its so strange late Monday night it was said that NESV had confirmed they were looking for a new manager but it hasnt been reported by any major media sources and NESV themselves havent released a press release or anything. I think maybe it was Bull**** but Roy is on borrowed time unless we start wining soon.
True, as they say, Dont believe everything you read in the papers.

Frank Rijkaard has left Galatasaray

Just seen that, Now whats next for him, Ajax or Liverpool...

Hodgson wont get sacked today, Maybe he will quit after tomorrows game.. :\ I dont know. its going to be crazy week, once again for liverpool.

If the rumours of Roy needing to win the next 2 games or hes sacked is true then he will be gone by Monday morning because we wont beat Napoli as Gerrard and Torres havent travelled. I think if Rijkaard wants to takeover at Ajax he could be waiting a while as Martin Jol is doing a good job this season.

Last edited:
True, i think every news station in England is just Liverpool news recently.

Unless Henk ten Cate is coming with him then the prospect of Rijkaard doesn't do anything for me.

I would hardly call a team with Gerrard, Torres, Reina, Carragher and Macherano a '**** Squad

Mascherano left liverpool in the summer mate haha. I wouldnt believe it until i see it.
But John Henry sacked the manager of the red sox after the first season even though they were runners up in the world series.
And it makes sense with the new owners to want their own man in charge rather than Roy.
Also doesnt roy have a clause in his contract that he can be dismissed for compo when a takeover happened???

I agree. I don't know why some people are against him.
Liverpool's current situation is not his fault at all.

He takes responsibility for what has happened since Benitez left on the playing side.

For Mr.Hodgson, the performance against Everton was acceptable and just unlucky.

Either I'm deluded in thinking that the performance (like most this season) was substantially below what any Liverpool team should be putting in or Mr.Hodgson is deluded in thinking that setting up for a draw every game is acceptable.

Said it some months back, got a lot of respect for Mr.Hodgson. But I've no confidence in him whatsoever as manager of my football club.

Not going to call for him to be sacked, but I think it would be a wise move on his part to consider his position unless performances (not even results) improve dramatically soon.

There's a decent squad at Liverpool. Needs investment to push on to get back into CL positions and perhaps even challenge for the league like it did the season before last. It's certainly not a squad so bad that it should be sat near the bottom of the table. The attempts to blame Benitez for Hodgson's failures this season (this is the Hodgson who was brought in to motivate the playing side of things because Benitez was supposedly 'failing' by missing out on the CL places last season) is ludicrous.

The off the pitch stuff has been a huge problem. I'd have more sympathy if that wasn't a situation which Hodgson accepted he'd have to deal with when he took the job.

Would rant longer but life's too short.

Unless Henk ten Cate is coming with him then the prospect of Rijkaard doesn't do anything for me.

Spot on that Lee.

Ideal replacement for Mr.Hodgson will be a young, tactical savvy manager who has made his bones already and is looking for a career challenge. Few of them of sufficient calibre about, and Rijkaard without ten Cate really doesn't fit the bill for me either.

Spot on that Lee.

Ideal replacement for Mr.Hodgson will be a young, tactical savvy manager who has made his bones already and is looking for a career challenge. Few of them of sufficient calibre about, and Rijkaard without ten Cate really doesn't fit the bill for me either.

Paul Lambert of Norwich is doing a fantastic job. Normally I'd quite like him although I think the Liverpool job would be too big for him at this stage unfortunately.

Roy dosnt do himself any favours, Gerrard, Torres and Merieles have been left out for tomorrow due to them "needing a rest". Anyway im sorry to say i feel the curtain is half down on Roys Liverpool career already which is a shame for him personally because he did good things at Fulham. I wont be too upset when he does go though.

Last edited:
I agree. I don't know why some people are against him.
Liverpool's current situation is not his fault at all.

Simple: **** tactical nouse, **** football, **** results, **** excuses, **** man management.

I would not have a problem with FR going to Ajax - I would still prefer Pellegrini.

Last edited:
Back