Gerard Houllier to leave Aston Villa

• Thread starter Thread starter GodCubed
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 214
  • Views Views 10K
I really think David Moyes would be making a HUGE mistake joining Villa. Yes he may get more money with villa but they are one of, if not the most, overated teams in the league, 3 GOOD players (young, bent and downing) and two of them are going to leave this season.

Cant see Rafa B going to them either, I think it will be Mark Hughes which wouldnt be a bad decision to be honest.

I really think David Moyes would be making a HUGE mistake joining Villa. Yes he may get more money with villa but they are one of, if not the most, overated teams in the league, 3 GOOD players (young, bent and downing) and two of them are going to leave this season.

Cant see Rafa B going to them either, I think it will be Mark Hughes which wouldnt be a bad decision to be honest.

How can you overrate a team? League position defines how good a team is, and we've been consistently top ten for the past five or so years. To say we've got three good players is ridiculous: Bent, Young, Downing as you said, but also Jean Makoun (who's played in the Champions League regularly), a whole host of excellent young talent and we're going to be spending this summer. You've mentioned that Young will be leaving (or Downing, but I sincerely doubt both, though even if they both did the next part still applies, just on a bigger scale) and we'll use the money from his sale to fund another good player arriving.

Would like to see Rafa back in management again. Likeable guy. Think he'll do a very good job at the Villa

As Timothy Abraham put it on Twitter:

"This is defining appointment for AVFC with football's changing landscape. If Randy Lerner was to get someone like Carlo Ancelotti it would signal to players, fans and football world that AVFC mean business. Make the wrong appointment, however, and it could really set Villa back a few years."

As Timothy Abraham put it on Twitter:

"This is defining appointment for AVFC with football's changing landscape. If Randy Lerner was to get someone like Carlo Ancelotti it would signal to players, fans and football world that AVFC mean business. Make the wrong appointment, however, and it could really set Villa back a few years."

What do you think the chances are of keeping Houllier on in an advisory capacity, becuase his knowledge of infrastructure and deployment of footballing academies is second to none. Maybe not now, but maybe the future?

What do you think the chances are of keeping Houllier on in an advisory capacity, becuase his knowledge of infrastructure and deployment of footballing academies is second to none. Maybe not now, but maybe the future?

Maybe, but I doubt it. I'd like it if we did though, he has the eye and experience.

Maybe, but I doubt it. I'd like it if we did though, he has the eye and experience.

Definately. His work with the French FA has been unparallelled. And he pretty much turned the club around and gave them a good position to build from aswell compared to when he first arrived, and pretty much gave players a chance to sink or swim. And if you had him in that position at some point, and Rafa in charge, the club would be in great standing in the future. And would also attract some very promising/already quality players too, and maybe launch a push for European football at some point in the near future. And he has said he hopes to return to football soon aswell. Just hope he doesn't rush back too soon though. I know managers love their footie and hate being away from football, but there's a line that shouldn't be crossed when it comes to their health. It's simply not worth endangering themselves over.

Last edited:
I think Hughes will get it as he's the bookies fave

I honestly think the best man for the job is Gary McAllister short term at the very least. Give him a season and see what he can do. Getting Carlo, Rijkaard etc. is a tad ambitious for a mid table team. Mark Hughes I reckon will stay at Fulham. I have doubts over Holloway to be honest, I think he's a superb man but as a manager I just think he's not up to a job managing a side like Villa. With money I reckon he would make some poor signings, even with Blackpool some of his loan signings were questionable (Puncheon, Kornilenko?)

Give the Caretaker a fair crack at the job, he is the reason why Villa ended up with a respectable final league position and a win over Liverpool considering their form under Dalglish is mightily impressive. Villa were in big trouble under Houllier so it is definately best if he went

How can you overrate a team? League position defines how good a team is, and we've been consistently top ten for the past five or so years. To say we've got three good players is ridiculous: Bent, Young, Downing as you said, but also Jean Makoun (who's played in the Champions League regularly), a whole host of excellent young talent and we're going to be spending this summer. You've mentioned that Young will be leaving (or Downing, but I sincerely doubt both, though even if they both did the next part still applies, just on a bigger scale) and we'll use the money from his sale to fund another good player arriving.

Makpun is not a Prem player he has been a flop since coming, yes maybe you have been top ten for the previous few seasons but this season showed what the villa team are really like. Villa constantly produce good youth prospects but never give them chances and end up leaving I.e. Gardner, Cahill etc... You say you will spend big? This was said last season when you sold milner and even the year before with Barry but It didn't happen. Villa spent there money in Jan on bent seriously doubt big name players will come when you can't offer them european football and with their top players MOST likely to both leave in the near future why would any big player consider going there when villa season after season sell there best players. I have seen villa play on a number of occasions this season and have been average at best on these occasions. That is why I believe they are overrated you are obviously not going to say your own team are overrated are you? Think about it

I'd love Liverpool to give him some sort of board role.

Makpun is not a Prem player he has been a flop since coming, yes maybe you have been top ten for the previous few seasons but this season showed what the villa team are really like. Villa constantly produce good youth prospects but never give them chances and end up leaving I.e. Gardner, Cahill etc... You say you will spend big? This was said last season when you sold milner and even the year before with Barry but It didn't happen. Villa spent there money in Jan on bent seriously doubt big name players will come when you can't offer them european football and with their top players MOST likely to both leave in the near future why would any big player consider going there when villa season after season sell there best players. I have seen villa play on a number of occasions this season and have been average at best on these occasions. That is why I believe they are overrated you are obviously not going to say your own team are overrated are you? Think about it

In what way has he? He was the best Villa player on the pitch when they played United, and has looked good others times I've seen them.

You're also discussing the future. How exactly can you overrate something that hasn't happened yet? GC is saying that they've been in the top 10 for years now, so by definition, are not overrated.

He would be pretty much ideal for Villa or Liverpool. Would do a great job, and be much better for him healthwise aswell. Either club would benefit a great deal

In what way has he? He was the best Villa player on the pitch when they played United, and has looked good others times I've seen them.

You're also discussing the future. How exactly can you overrate something that hasn't happened yet? GC is saying that they've been in the top 10 for years now, so by definition, are not overrated.

And was the worst when they played at home to fulham I think it was, if I am discussing the future then surely you two are discussing the past? Or am I mistaken? As do most villa and all football fans in fact.

And was the worst when they played at home to fulham I think it was, if I am discussing the future then surely you two are discussing the past? Or am I mistaken? As do most villa and all football fans in fact.

Wayne Rooney was awful for the first half of the season, are you going to say he doesn't belong in the prem? Torres? You're taking a player who just moved to a new league and saying he doesn't belong on a few games, where he has performed to show he can. As well as performing in the CL.

The past has happened so we can judge it. How can you say Villa are overrated based on what you perceive to happen in the future? Can you deny that Villa have been in the top 10 for years? No, so they're not overrated at present.

Villa can never be overrated. They have some very good youngsters, and they have shown that they are a force to be reckoned with. The Everton v Villa game still burns painfully in memory when they won 3-2. And Houlliers turned the club around too. That's why I'm always nervous when they play against Everton. They have the ability to totally surprise any team. And when they have players like Albrighton, the future is indeed very bright.

Lol. How the **** has Makoun been a flop? A Champions League standard DM who came to us for 4 mil, was superb against United but admittedly has only had limited appearances due to injury and relegation fears. Sure, he's had a few bad games, but he's still adjusting to the Prem style. Give him a ****** chance.

And yes, we produced good youth prospects and didn't give them chances, but that was Martin O'Neill's fault, not the club's. As you can see, we're now giving youth prospects a chance: Albrighton, Bannan, Clark, Lichaj, Baker, Herd, Delfouneso and Hogg were all given chances, with the first three looking set to start in the first team next season.

God knows who told you we were spending big last season, but it shows how much you know if you think Milner was sold last season. How on Earth have we spent ALL of our money on Bent? We're owned by a ****** billionaire. Why do necessarily need 'big name' players? The likes of Bent are well up to Premier League standard, not to mention Downing. If we got a few players that are as good at doing what they do as Bent is at doing what he does, then we'd be absolutely fine.

Because at Villa, season after season we find ways of replacing any key personnel we sell. Barry left, Milner took his place. Milner left, Ireland took his place, which admittedly didn't come off but it eventually ended up with Bannan taking his place.

My dear, I'm sure you've spent many portions of your footballing season watching Villa play (after all, we're rather irresistible to Midlanders - they ALL want to be us :)) but I can assure you a small selection of games is not enough to tell you the story of a club. The table doesn't lie: mixed in with some atrocious games at Newcastle and Liverpool were some excellent ones like against West Ham, Arsenal, Blackburn and even to an extent United and Chelsea.

We're a mid-to-high end table club that has some fair financial power, an excellent youth system and has just had a rough season. No more, but most definitely no less.

Me too. I do like him as a person, think he'd do well there.

---------- Post added at 02:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 AM ----------

Villa can never be overrated. They have some very good youngsters, and they have shown that they are a force to be reckoned with. The Everton v Villa game still burns painfully in memory when they won 3-2. And Houlliers turned the club around too. That's why I'm always nervous when they play against Everton. They have the ability to totally surprise any team. And when they have players like Albrighton, the future is indeed very bright.

Tell me about it. We have all the luck against you, the 1-0 earlier this season was probably the least convincing win I've seen in my life.

I'm struggling not to lax lyrical about Albrighton...

Back