Gerard Houllier to leave Aston Villa

• Thread starter Thread starter GodCubed
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 214
  • Views Views 10K
Er - excuse my asking, but what does Arsenal Report have to do with anything?

Would be a real coup if you got Carlo - Lerner would be ******* his pants laughing, while Roman would just be ******* his pants in embarrassment ;)

As in, I don't follow interesting and balanced accounts of football. I cited AR as an example of how I do.

I would be very, very happy if we got Carlo. Mark Hughes' contract has JUST expired though, IIRC.

1. Barca do counter-attack. Just from within the opposition half ;) The win the ball back within seconds when they lose it because of their high tempo pressing game. (I can't believe I just defended Barca)

2. Who says Enrique will play the same way? Maybe he's just a good coach? And why shouldn't other teams be allowed to play like them? Just because you don't like it - most of the footballing world do.

Yeah, and Stoke also play possession football, when Delap is using a towel to time-waste before a throw-in. I think everyone, or pretty much everyone, gets/got what I meant by 'playing counter-attacking' football.

And considering:

A) Barça players are tought their philosophy since they join the club.
B) Barça reserves are usually the previous step before joining the first team (If they succeed that is), thus they have to follow that philosophy.
C) Luís Enrique's managerial career is limited to his 3-year stint as Barça B manager.

I think my assumption (call it a guess if you like) is pretty well founded. I can be wrong, of course, but it's not likely.

But we're DEFINITELY set out to play like Barca!

[/COLOR]And apparently we're definitely in for Ancelotti. The board's taking a "don't ask, don't get" policy: if we get him, great. If not, move on.

Mat Kendrick, as ever, has the latest. Birmingham Mail Exclusive: Carlo Ancelotti is a leading contender for Aston Villa job - Aston Villa FC news - Aston Villa - Sport - Birmingham Mail

Is Clark being taught olympic diving?

On the Ancelotti thing - it'd be a win-win situation, IMO.

Yeah, and Stoke also play possession football, when Delap is using a towel to time-waste before a throw-in. I think everyone, or pretty much everyone, gets/got what I meant by 'playing counter-attacking' football.

And considering:

A) Barça players are tought their philosophy since they join the club.
B) Barça reserves are usually the previous step before joining the first team (If they succeed that is), thus they have to follow that philosophy.
C) Luís Enrique's managerial career is limited to his 3-year stint as Barça B manager.

I think my assumption (call it a guess if you like) is pretty well founded. I can be wrong, of course, but it's not likely.

Is Clark being taught olympic diving?

On the Ancelotti thing - it'd be a win-win situation, IMO.

Sure. Except just because Enrique may have encouraged that philosophy at Barca, he may not be being signed so that Roma can do that, too. I don't know anything about him but presumably his record is more than just: "I play tiki-taka football".

Sure. Except just because Enrique may have encouraged that philosophy at Barca, he may not be being signed so that Roma can do that, too. I don't know anything about him but presumably his record is more than just: "I play tiki-taka football".

So you criticize me for guessing, when you know nothing about the guy. Great.

So you criticize me for guessing, when you know nothing about the guy. Great.

No... I'm not criticizing you for anything. I'm saying that it's silly to say that the only reason Roma want him is so that they can play like Barca. Regardless of the way Barcelona play, he's clearly been successful in their B side so it seems more likely that they're signing him for his managerial abilities and achievements rather than simply wanting to play tiki-taka football.

No... I'm not criticizing you for anything. I'm saying that it's silly to say that the only reason Roma want him is so that they can play like Barca. Regardless of the way Barcelona play, he's clearly been successful in their B side so it seems more likely that they're signing him for his managerial abilities and achievements rather than simply wanting to play tiki-taka football.

So you think they'd rather sign an unproven second division manager when they have much better choices around? It's too much of a risk to take unless he has something else to offer - tiki-taka and maybe poaching their kids.

Anyways, I'm off to Uni.

So you think they'd rather sign an unproven second division manager when they have much better choices around? It's too much of a risk to take unless he has something else to offer - tiki-taka and maybe poaching their kids.

Anyways, I'm off to Uni.

What I'm saying is that presumably he's not unproven - they're signing him on account of his success rather than his footballing philosophy. I assume.

What I'm saying is that presumably he's not unproven - they're signing him on account of his success rather than his footballing philosophy. I assume.

Well, got back a while ago. Last post on the subject.

His only success was as a second/third divison manager. I think there are managers with more experience available, for a team that's trying to fight for some silverware.

Last edited:
Former #LFC manager Rafael Benitez has been approached by #AVFC over the vacant manager's position at Villa Park.

Richard__Buxton

You'll have to put up with the constant Rafa hate from the press though ¬_¬'

You'll have to put up with the constant Rafa hate from the press though ¬_¬'

**** 'em. Don't give a **** about the press. I want Zonal Marking and a solid back four again.

Is it too soon for me to be going "The press? I AM THE PRESS!"?

Odds on villa replacing benetiz with hodgson in a couple of years?? :$

**** 'em. Don't give a **** about the press. I want Zonal Marking and a solid back four again.

Is it too soon for me to be going "The press? I AM THE PRESS!"?

Hope it's true for you lot though I think a lot of your fans will take some convincing. Can't see Downing getting sold unless he's positive he wants to leave if Rafa's there either.

Hope it's true for you lot though I think a lot of your fans will take some convincing. Can't see Downing getting sold unless he's positive he wants to leave if Rafa's there either.

Indeed. There are a lot of fans who want to judge Rafa on his last couple of months and his time at Inter, which is unfair. Never mind.

******* love Rafa so much. Villa are now my second team in the league.

Rafa is a hero. Think with him villa could be challenging for Europa next season. Next season is certainly going to be interesting at the top!

Back