Golyam Oblak, Maluk Duzhd - Story of a Bulgarian Journeyman

Many apologies to anyone following and waiting for an update!

I will try my hardest to get one up tonight, as for once i don't have as much work (or, at least I'm getting it done early!) I'll do as much as I can tonight, including any match reports, and probably an advance on the plot! I have 30 odd days to finish the season, then I can try and continue it into FM 11 - Thought i might need to edit a couple of things to get the players, and league etc..

Will VM anyone I think is following when i've done it so you won't miss out if you haven't subscribed (Hint, hint - nudge, nudge)

DAY OF RECKONING

41626308arstunnel.jpg

The first day of the rest of my life. A vodka and lemon had helped me to sleep last night, having not slept before that for almost 48 hours. Worried about missing the biggest moment in my managerial career to date, I had set three alarm clocks, 15 minutes apart - Just in case...

If only the dreams I had could become a reality. The team had trained and played well throughout pre-season - but could they step it up a level? Etar 1924 are a popular team in Bulgaria, tipped by many to finish above my team. A win, at home would calm any nerves the players may have had, and settle down early queries regarding their mental strength - Manol Velev, after just two months with me had decided enough was enough, Iliya Chalev had made his intentions to buy the club clear - and Velev admitted that once the paperwork had been finalised, Mr. Chalev would take control and he'd be on the next flight to Moscow. All this without consulting me, the first I heard of it was an embarrassing pre-match press conference when one reporter brought up the question of how well the players would be able to handle the pressure of a board takeover.

I struggled to put it all aside, but if I couldn't I had to make sure my players could - "Just don't think about it. Focus on the game ahead, and the tactics." I repeated the Bulgarian proverb that the players must have been sick of by now.
My mother's proverbs that stuck with me.
My mother's proverbs that Amélie hated.
Amélie...

I wished she could be there with me, helping me through, as she always did, but she was dead, and she wasn't coming back.

Struggling to fit into the narrow tunnel leading into Akademik Stadium, the plastic pitch, the crowds standing, and sitting - we had an impressive 18,000 strong capacity, full for my first game - a true honour from a club that had found it difficult to sell out since our relegation in 1982. My first aim was to challenge for promotion, Manol Velev and the rest of the board had said that I "couldn't underestimate the importance of a good start". So here I was, standing in the dugout, while the players took up their positions on the pitch. I'd gone for a 4-2-3-1 after the success of the formation during pre-season, control was the aim of the game, probing the opposition, and keeping possession until a chance came about.

akademiksofiavetar1924.jpg

It had taken just under 7 minutes for Samir Ayass to pick up the ball from Nikola Bozhov and spin away from his marker. Now in space, he got his head up and played an inch perfect ball inside the full-back - Aspurah Vasilev seized on the opportunity, taking a touch forward before rifling the ball through the goalkeeper's legs. Cheers filled the stadium as Vasilev wheeled away in celebration...

But the lead was short lived, a competent counter attack found Mihael Avrionov in the area, knocking the ball into space, he looked to level the scores, before a desperate Tsvestan Antov tripped him.

Nakazanie!

Penalty!

My heart sunk as a cool Mariyan Genov sent Vasil Vasilev the wrong way from the spot.
1-1, with 80 minutes to play.

"Prodŭlzhavane, mozhete da spechelya!"
"Keep going, you can win this!"

Club legend Vasil Vasilev appeared by my side on the touchline, shouting at the players and waving at them in attempt to keep them calm! I wasn't sure erratic gesticulating was the way forward, but he seemed to think it worked, and the team took the lead again through attacking midfielder Samir Ayass - a coup - on loan from "A" Division giants CSKA Sofia before I arrived.. Bozhov this time collected, and found the 18 year old in plenty of space with an outrageous backheel - for such a young player, Samir took the goal brilliantly, shrugging off the defender, before lifting the ball over the keeper and into the too corner. Back in the lead at just the right time, we would have the momentum going into the break, and they would be shaken by a goal of such quality.

The half-time team talk was simple, I congratulated the team on their lead, and told them to play the second half as they had the first, controlling the game, keeping it tight at the back, and not pushing too many men forward.

7 minutes after the break, and we had our third. A dangerous corner was headed back and forth by both sets of players, never being properly cleared, until Antov made up for his error, heading the ball out to the right for Vasilev, the winger wriggled out of a tight space, before holding off his man and firing in at the near post. 3-1 and the game was surely over..

But another counter-attack, and we were once again split open, this time positioning let us down, with young left back Shenol Galip guilty of pushing too high up the pitch, goalscorer Genov turned provider for the man who won the penalty, a well taken goal found Genov's pacey cross met by Avrionov at the far post, again getting the better of Antov.

The rest of the half went on for what seemed like an eternity. 35 minutes turned into several hours until Nikolay Markov blew his whistle, met by thousands more whistles as the team celebrated our first victory, applauding the crowd as they walked off the pitch with their heads held high.

A firm handshake and a nod with the manager across from me and it was over.
We'd achieved a win in our first game, and that gave me, and I think everyone at the club (Bar Velev of course) a huge boost of confidence. I breathed a sigh of relief, and went upstairs, leaving a post it on the door:

Well Done on a good victory.
Enjoy the moment, I'll see you bright and early at 8 in the morning for training!

I took my leave, and walked up the stairs to my dark office, back to my vodka and my chair. I sat down and stared at the photo on my desk of Amélie and I on our wedding day, she was so beautiful, and I couldn't stop thinking about her.

I emptied my third bottle of Vodka in two more shots and fell asleep, waiting for morning...

"Some party you're having here Mr. Matiak!"

My eyes opened slightly as my assistant manager, Ival Ivanski picked the bottle up from my desk and frowned;

"C'mon, let's get you home!"

I murmured, but was too drunk to refuse, and spent the next two hours asleep in a taxi before being bundled onto the bed in what used to be my room in my parent's house.

nice update mate and a good start to the season. Are you set on continuing this into FM11? It's great to see that you have found the time to come back to it and I hope for more of the same

nice update mate and a good start to the season. Are you set on continuing this into FM11? It's great to see that you have found the time to come back to it and I hope for more of the same

Yeah, may continue into FM11 if i can do some editing to make transfers/positions etc. Or else i'll keep playing it and continue it as an FM 10 story, especially considering how it looks like the blogs are going to work for the new FM11 site update.

Please tell me what you think everyone!

It's not for an ego boost.. (much) but just so I can improve on stuff next time!

Last edited:
Absolutely, ****** brilliant.

Joss, this is a seriously good story and an amazing update.

Wow!

Absolutely, ****** brilliant.

Joss, this is a seriously good story and an amazing update.

Wow!

Wish I could like this post more than once!

Thankyou very very much Chris, means a lot coming from you - and seriously good motivation!

Wish I could like this post more than once!

Thankyou very very much Chris, means a lot coming from you - and seriously good motivation!

I am only too happy to comment Joss. :D

Keep it up. :)

''Prodŭlzhavane, mozhete da spechelya!''
"Keep going, you can win this!"

There is a slight mistake in the translation,i can help you say things in bulgarian correctly just send a pm.

Etar 1924 are my home team and you defeated them:'(.They are very good at home so watch out :D

Looking forward for next update :)

There is a slight mistake in the translation,i can help you say things in bulgarian correctly just send a pm.

Etar 1924 are my home team and you defeated them:'(.They are very good at home so watch out :D

Looking forward for next update :)

Ah, whoops, just used google translate, what should it be?

And thanks :)

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

MEET THE STUDENTS

sofiaechoheader.jpg
By Alex Bivol

Alex Bivol gives a brief outline of the first team squad inherited by Ex-International turned manager Igor Matiak.The man who scored 46 goals in just over a century of appearances for Bulgaria left Sedan Ardennes in the hills of France after his wife Amélie died in a tragic car accident this summer. Following his move back to "The Students" in the Bulgarian capital, Matiak has enjoyed a positive start, picking up 5 wins in pre-season, before an important win on the opening day of the season, at home to Etar 1924. The Bulgarian has been busy in the free market, having been given limited funds by Manol Velev, the man who after just 3 years at the former UEFA cup participants has decided to move on and make some money while he's at it. An €80,000 offer deemed to much to refuse from Ilyia Chalev. But what kind of team has Matiak inherited from his predecessor, and just who has he signed this summer?

GK: Vasil Vasilev: The 33 year old has little competition for the Number One jersey from next-in-line Kaloyan Mihaylov. A competent goalkeeper - he is exeperienced and will certainly do until something better comes along, which may not be until next season. (Pre season form: P8 Con 9 Cln 3)

RB: Ivaylo Vasilev: The brother of Vasil, he also has little competition, other than younger players and Yulian Petkov, who can play RB if needs must.

LB: Shenol Galip: The 21 year old was signed for free this summer by Matiak after his contract at "A" Division side Loko (Mezdra) ran out. The area was highlighted as a weak point in the squad in Matiak's first press conference.

CB: A fairly strong area for "The Students" - They have three or four solid defenders

Captain - Nikola Asenov came from "A" Division rivals CSKA (Sofia) having started as a young player, he understands Bulgarian football having played in the league since 2004. Expect him to get the better of most attackers.

Martin Sechkov - The player is on loan from Loko (Plovdiv) from "A" Division, in a move that the Plovdiv manager faced heavy criticism for, with the defender being regarded as solid backup there - at the age of just 22, he has played for Bulgaria at U21 level.

MC/DM: The first team seems to get stronger as we progress up the field, Yulian Petkov (30) is vastly experienced, and one of the best passers in the team, if not the league. He forms a formidable defensive partnership with new signing Tvestomir Chipev (32). Their experience more than makes up for their lack of pace, and their teamwork and techincal quality add real strength in the middle of the park. In backup, Matiak can turn to youngster
Lechazar Manchev, who at 20 showed glimpses of his potential in his 6 appearances during pre-season.

AMR: Another loanee from Plovdiv, 19 year old Veselin Marchev is very versatile, but inexperienced, and should he get injured, or tired - Matiak may be pulling out what remains of his hair.

AML: 27 year old Aspurah Vasilev completes the trio of brothers in the first team. The left winger scored twice in the first game of the season despite not finding the net at all in pre-season. He scored 7 goals in less than 30 appearances last season having joined the club as a reserve team player in 2006.

AMC: Perhaps the strongest area, Samir Ayass and Nikola Boychev will have to fight it out for the one available place with Ivan Koteterov and Yosif Shutev, all very capable players: Shutev was the only one to find the net in pre-season, before Ayass started the first game in his abscence through injury, and scored an important goal to regain the lead, after he set up Vasilev for his first of two goals.

ST: Just one spot up for grabs, and it looks set to go to Nikolay Bozhov, a quality player, he is attracting interest from "A" Division side PSFC Chernomorets (Burgas) but has pledged his allegiance to the side that revived his career in 2005 as a reserve player. He was let go in 1996 as a 19 year old by Bulgarian big timers Levski (Sofia).

Miroslav Budinov, a big €2.5K signing last season, is second in line, helping Pirin (Blagoevgrad) loanee warm the bench. Both have time though at just 22 years of age, compared to Boyzhov's 32 years.

Subscribe to Bivol's blog as he tracks the progress of Matiak in his first season as a manager in Sofia.

---------- Post added at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

Please leave a comment if you read guys. It's good motivation for me, but also means I know what to improve on.. Constructive criticism is entirely welcome..

Will try and update again in the next couple of days when I've finished the first month..

Last edited:
Very nice stuff, Joss, thoroughly enjoying this. Hope you're unveiling your team's new kits soon? ;) Na, fantastic story, and you have a follower. :D

Great insight into your team Joss, and agreat idea having a reporter blog too. It's well written and I will continue to follow keenly mate. Keep it up

Loving the story mate ;)
Been reading all the way through! Love the set out and detail...
Maybe the story of the year next year? (6)

Very nice stuff, Joss, thoroughly enjoying this. Hope you're unveiling your team's new kits soon? ;) Na, fantastic story, and you have a follower. :D

Great insight into your team Joss, and agreat idea having a reporter blog too. It's well written and I will continue to follow keenly mate. Keep it up

Loving the story mate ;)
Been reading all the way through! Love the set out and detail...
Maybe the story of the year next year? (6)

:$

Thanks for the comments!

What do people think? Does it work having a mix of perspective/1st person updates and reports like the last one? Or shall I keep it in perspective with less of that stuff? I could do something like I did in the Slaying the Dragons story...

Someone said great insight into your team, Joss.

I must agree. Really good update and I honestly cannot wait for more. :')

I really like the idea of having an outsider perspective, so I would keep throwing it in every now and again

Someone said great insight into your team, Joss.

I must agree. Really good update and I honestly cannot wait for more. :')

I really like the idea of having an outsider perspective, so I would keep throwing it in every now and again

Thanks Chris, getting more and more into this whenever I play :)

Thanks for your feedback mate, will bear it in mind for sure ;)

The Students unveil new kits

SofiaH.png
SofiaA.png

SofiaT.png

Captain Nikola Asenov and Nikola Bozhov showed off their new strips at the launch. The new sponsorship, with Bulgaria's best football paper: The Sofia Echo will help the club's revenue as they try to achieve their aim of promotion in the first season under Igor Matiak. Puma made the kits, and the club have said how proud they are to be associated with a major Western brand.

Left to Right: Akademik (Sofia)'s new Home, Away and Third kits for the 2009/10 season, the kit sponsorship will last two seasons.

Thanks to Pistolped for the graphics, and Koppieman for the config​
---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 06:48 PM ----------

Watch this space. Played the first month, but really getting into it, so won't update quite yet, but they'll be more regular than they have been. :D

Update maybe tomorrow, or more likely, Friday as I am buried in school work.

Last edited:
This is a great story , just read through it all , well done joss (H)