Homosexuality within sport

• Thread starter Thread starter ajt09
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 300
  • Views Views 17K
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a christan i try to go to church every week i don't really have a problem with people being gay but i will accept it i won't stop being someones mate if they decided they were gay i would treat them like i do all my friends. personally it means less competition for the ladies :)

Good man. Even if you are a madridista ;)

would you really say racism has been tackled(sorry to open up a whole new can of worms)(i hate racism by the way) i would just say a lot of people have taken their racism into the closet

This is exactly my point. Thanks to political correctness and "being intolerant of intolerance," people shove their prejudiced views under the carpet and pretend they don't have them when they really do. I would way rather prefer people to be open and honest. Racism and prejudice are much more dangerous when they are not in the open. The very type of dialogue we are engaging in right now is also much more useful when people are honest about their beliefs, and we are discouraging honesty.

Because if we are tolerant with the intolerant then society is never going to advance?

Why should religion dictate our lives and their decisions. It has contributed little to society compared to Science, and it dictates people's lives; makes people live with being miserable based on what? A few lines in a book with no proof to the author, with zero evidence to support their claims. It's ridiculous. But this belongs in the "Do you believe in God?" thread. It's a shame the debates in there never got to the condemning of homosexuality, would have been interesting.

Although I'm not religious I really disagree with your interpretation of religion. There's no way you can describe such a comprehensive aspect of culture and society to having "contributed little to society," and no way you can measure its "contribution" to this society in comparison to science...they are two completely different things. But this belongs in a different thread. Also, it's not ridiculous to believe in religion, especially considering that people have for just about all of human history. Atheism is new. So I don't think labeling everyone that disagrees with you as being ignorant is fair, and we should be tolerant of their viewpoints, whether or not they agree with ours or are politically correct. Also, the concept of political correctness doesn't "advance society," as described in the previous post, and neither does trying to exterminate religion, which would be much more intolerant than anything anyone said in this thread.

I won't reject their religious beliefs, I said it's ridiculous that religion still drives so many of our beliefs though. I'm an atheist, you're a homophobe. I base my beliefs off rational and logical decisions, you base yours off discrimination and prejudice. There's a BIG difference. I won't dislike a person for being religious, and discriminate against them for being religious.

We're not truly free, we never will. Get used to it.

It's unfair to say they make their decisions based on discrimination and prejudice, they simply make their decisions based on their religious beliefs. They may be open-minded people but they have to follow the rules laid out for them by God (so they believe, at least). Also, it is unfair to portray your own beliefs as rational and theirs as irrational...I know a lot of rational, intelligent people that believe in religion, and their beliefs aren't irrational, either. They just took a different path of logic than you did. The incorrect one, yes, but I don't think it's fair to portray it as irrational.

Er, since when did he say anything about not accepting people with religious beliefs? We, unlike you, are tolerant and think that anyone can be allowed to believe what they like and won't judge them for it.

This is categorically not a free country. Ever heard of laws?

To be fair he's not breaking the law, nor is he even challenging the law and saying homosexuality should be illegal. He's simply saying he doesn't like it, and that's something protected by the freedom of speech. While I find his opinion disappointing, that's his right to believe it and we're only making ourselves look bad by telling him that he can't have his opinion. It's hypocritical because we are guilty of the very thing we're criticizing him for, intolerance,

Read my post at the top of the page. I called the concept of religion dictating lives based on nothing ridiculous. I have nothing wrong with people practising religion, it's their choice.

Why should the atheistic homosexual be discriminated against by the heterosexual catholic? What gives religion the right to dictate how a person lives their life, when religion is a choice, not law.

Religion doesn't need the "right" to dictate how a person lives their life, western religions are based on the concept that there is an objective morality that God has revealed to us through scripture, intervention, and tradition, and religion calls for us to follow that morality. Previously, the church was so infused in our society that these "religious" laws of morality, we could call them, were enforced by the worldly authorities. Hence homosexuality would certainly be punishable, and still is today in countries that strictly follow Sharia law, for example. This is how society always was and always has been, and the idea of secularism is a modern concept. I really like secularism and prefer to live in this society because that's what I grew up in, but part of secularism is freedom OF religion (not just from it), and that means allowing people to believe what they want, whether or not we label it as misogynist, prejudice, or homophobic.

Last edited:
To be fair he's not breaking the law, nor is he even challenging the law and saying homosexuality should be illegal. He's simply saying he doesn't like it, and that's something protected by the freedom of speech. While I find his opinion disappointing, that's his right to believe it and we're only making ourselves look bad by telling him that he can't have his opinion. It's hypocritical because we are guilty of the very thing we're criticizing him for, intolerance,

In my defence, I didn't say he was breaking the law nor did I say he was challenging it. I merely pointed out that his statement that "it's a free country" (a statement I despise) was completely wrong without extrapolation.

even though i haven't got a problem with gay people i don't believe that it is gentic really i think it is just what they prefer like straught people may prefer different girls they just preffer a different ***

This is exactly my point. Thanks to political correctness and "being intolerant of intolerance," people shove their prejudiced views under the carpet and pretend they don't have them when they really do. I would way rather prefer people to be open and honest. Racism and prejudice are much more dangerous when they are not in the open. The very type of dialogue we are engaging in right now is also much more useful when people are honest about their beliefs, and we are discouraging honesty.

Although I'm not religious I really disagree with your interpretation of religion. There's no way you can describe such a comprehensive aspect of culture and society to having "contributed little to society," and no way you can measure its "contribution" to this society in comparison to science...they are two completely different things. But this belongs in a different thread. Also, it's not ridiculous to believe in religion, especially considering that people have for just about all of human history. Atheism is new. So I don't think labeling everyone that disagrees with you as being ignorant is fair, and we should be tolerant of their viewpoints, whether or not they agree with ours or are politically correct. Also, the concept of political correctness doesn't "advance society," as described in the previous post, and neither does trying to exterminate religion, which would be much more intolerant than anything anyone said in this thread.

It's unfair to say they make their decisions based on discrimination and prejudice, they simply make their decisions based on their religious beliefs. They may be open-minded people but they have to follow the rules laid out for them by God (so they believe, at least). Also, it is unfair to portray your own beliefs as rational and theirs as irrational...I know a lot of rational, intelligent people that believe in religion, and their beliefs aren't irrational, either. They just took a different path of logic than you did. The incorrect one, yes, but I don't think it's fair to portray it as irrational.

Religion doesn't need the "right" to dictate how a person lives their life, western religions are based on the concept that there is an objective morality that God has revealed to us through scripture, intervention, and tradition, and religion calls for us to follow that morality. Previously, the church was so infused in our society that these "religious" laws of morality, we could call them, were enforced by the worldly authorities. Hence homosexuality would certainly be punishable, and still is today in countries that strictly follow Sharia law, for example. This is how society always was and always has been, and the idea of secularism is a modern concept. I really like secularism and prefer to live in this society because that's what I grew up in, but part of secularism is freedom OF religion (not just from it), and that means allowing people to believe what they want, whether or not we label it as misogynist, prejudice, or homophobic.

Will take this to the religious debate thread then to keep this on topic.

even though i haven't got a problem with gay people i don't believe that it is gentic really i think it is just what they prefer like straught people may prefer different girls they just preffer a different ***

Fair point, but if this were the case, why would anyone hide it? If it were simply a choice, they would happily shout it from the rooftops.

I have no problem with gay people, **** I'm surrounded by gay people everyday: I have several gay professors and classmates, etc. I don't like their hand gestures, but that's about it. In sports, it shouldn't be a problem. Unless they have *** on the pitch, then by all means be gay.

I must say that I hate gays to..don't hate them so much but it's disgusting, it's sick..
God is create man and woman on the principle of key - lock. How would be key-key? It's not working ;)
What would you say if you son one day say to you that he is gay? You must accept that but sure you won't be glad fot that

I must say that I hate gays to..don't hate them so much but it's disgusting, it's sick..
God is create man and woman on the principle of key - lock. How would be key-key? It's not working ;)
What would you say if you son one day say to you that he is gay? You must accept that but sure you won't be glad fot that

The only thing I would care about is the fact that he is happy. That would be my primary concern for him

So why does God allow key-key to exi- actually, that's off-topic. Nevermind.

So why does God allow key-key to exi- actually, that's off-topic. Nevermind.

Why does god allow old key to very little key to flourish within his house would be a better way to put it ;). Funny that Christianity should be so homophobic when the very people who helped it spread across Europe were a very openly homosexual people. I don't consider this to be off-topic however, as religion is one of the biggest perpetuators of homophobia, and has greatly helped the homophobic society which makes players and people feel the need to suppress their homosexuality.

Posted the religious bit of this debate in the "Do you believe in God?" thread, to stop us going so off topic. Unless the OP is happy with it being in here, then I'll copy it back here. :)

Dont blast or hate me for saying my opinion. But i also hate gays...and i thing it's only normal to a heterosexual man to do so. Only thinking about what happens in their bedrooms makes me feel like vomiting.

And i dont want to see any professional footballers to come out from the clauset. Because many people would see a gay when seeing this guy, not as a footballer. It could also ruin the gays future career. He could be kicked from the team...do you think your teammates would be ok with this?

I would never be in a team with a gay.

But i also think that there are not many gay people that are professional athletes...

I thought gays like fashion and things like that...and not sports. But there are maybe few in the world of sports then...

Dont blast or hate me for saying my opinion. But i also hate gays...and i thing it's only normal to a heterosexual man to do so. Only thinking about what happens in their bedrooms makes me feel like vomiting.

And i dont want to see any professional footballers to come out from the clauset. Because many people would see a gay when seeing this guy, not as a footballer. It could also ruin the gays future career. He could be kicked from the team...do you think your teammates would be ok with this?

I would never be in a team with a gay.

But i also think that there are not many gay people that are professional athletes...

I thought gays like fashion and things like that...and not sports. But there are maybe few in the world of sports then...

no offense, but a normal guy doesn't hate gays for that reason. sorry. but thats your opinion and you're entitled to it

Look at CR9 in your DP, he's well into fashion and hair and ****, but he's straight. Meanwhile, I'm a homosexual and an avid football fan. See why what you're saying is bullshit?

Posted the religious bit of this debate in the "Do you believe in God?" thread, to stop us going so off topic. Unless the OP is happy with it being in here, then I'll copy it back here. :)

Rather keep the religious bit for the God thread if you don't mind, or it'll go way off topic and get all messed up with all sorts of arguments. If you don't mind

Eeesshh... I am happy that the majority of the people on here are welcoming and accepting of the LBGT community, but the minority who aren't makes me feel like homosexuals will never be accepted into football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back