Is it time to relieve arsene wenger of his duties

being an arsenal fan has been hard especially for the last 2 weeks

but i still don't want him to go just for him to be a little less stubborn especially with his transfers

IMO, Wenger is one of the most successful manager's in Premier League history, he's took us to the Carling Cup final, kept us in the title race, we were knocked out of the Champion's League by arguably the best side in the world, and Man Utd have knocked us out the FA Cup, it's not as if we're being beaten by teams like West Brom for example :S

I see your point of him needing a trophy soon, but the squad's only getting better and we're going in the right direction.

is being a nearly manager for a club like arsenal good enough

if it was say everton i could understand but were talking about one of the major uk clubs that if you went to any other country would be spoken after man u and liverpool in the best football team in the world

if it was say everton i could understand but were talking about one of the major uk clubs that if you went to any other country would be spoken after man u and liverpool in the best football team in the world

I think Wenger wouldn't get this much stick if only Arsenal had won the Carling Cup.

He shouldn't feel invincible, and completely secure, by any means.

He hasn't delivered with any example of on-field success for a long, long time now. I'm well aware that his past achievements should come into focus when discussing his future and whether he should remain in his position, but when does 'enough is enough' come into effect?

That being said, if Redknapp won the Premier League title this season, but didn't win anything for another 5-6 years but managed consistent CL/EL finishes, then I'd be reluctant to let him go too.

The problem is, Arsenal have become a club which seem happy to plod along, finishing in the top four continuously, rather than really earning any kind of success as they have done in the past, and that is reflected in the opinions of this thread. I'm not sure that should be the case, and although Wenger shouldn't be chucked as a result of a knee-jerk reaction, questions should most certainly be asked.

Yeah major UK club because of who? What was that French guys name who revolutionised the club and brought in some amazing talent?

19 teams don't win the PL every year, and more teams don't win the cups. Yes there a few scenarios where Arsenal are better, but imagine the trillions where they are worse. Look at Liverpool - staying at the top isn't easy, but Arsene does it year in year out. People calling for him to be sacked simply fail.

Ok so he hasn't won a trophy in 5/6 years, but he's made Arsenal one of the most consistent and feared sides in Europe, not to mention the youth he's brought through and the results he's got us.

The only manager who has his resume in the Prem is SAF, even if we only look back at the past 6 seasons. And probably no manager could have achieved his consistency on that budget. They are top 2 or 3 every year and never fall out of the top 4, unlike the other big teams (excluding ManU obviously). They are in a great financial position, have a new stadium, and a very young squad that's going to improve a lot over the next few seasons. Oh, and they also play really attractive football. They're in a great position for the future and that's only due to Wenger. No other manager could have done that.

There's more to football than winning trophies, and other than SAF, Wenger is the only manager at a big club to build his team for the long term. Sure, trophies were sacrificed in the process, but that was in the name of fiscal responsibility. It's so sad that in this day and age you have armchair managers wanting him to be sacked because "he was too stubborn to spend" while the entire world (including the world of football) is in a global financial crisis because of too much debt and spending.

I've never heard a serious Arsenal fan claim that he should be sacked, and not a serious football fan either, come to think of it.

as an arsenal fan i think he should only be sacked if he keeps buying youth he should start buy signing experianced players if we fail to win a major trophy in the next 18 months then yes he should go

I think being a nearly manager is good enough if your consistantly get a champion league place every season. remember he has to compete with Ferguson (arguably the best manager in the world today) and megabucks Chelsea/Man City splashing their cash. Give the guy some credit for getting near the top every season. I think before he came along, Arsenal were not a top 4 team and now they are and consistant with that.

Ok so he hasn't won a trophy in 5/6 years, but he's made Arsenal one of the most consistent and feared sides in Europe, not to mention the youth he's brought through and the results he's got us.

I disagree with some of that. Arsenal are far from 'feared' by other sides. You just have to stick in 4 disciplined defenders and a decent keeper and have a good work rate to beat Arsenal. Birmingham was the perfect example of that. We are a good side and we do bring through some really good youngsters but I for one really think Wenger needs to go out and spend some money and win us something, even if it's the Carling Cup.

yes results are ok but is the feeling of smashing blackpool 7-0 the same as yeah we wont the european cup or the fa cup or even the league

Yes what he has done for this club is immense but if Arsenal are happy with building excellent youth players and being a nearly club every season then yes by all means keep him in charge.

Point is, not only will those young players come to fruition, but also the financial fair play rules will give Arsenal a huge advantage. Their time will come, and Arsene will be vindicated.

No he shouldnt be sacked... although arsenal are officially the biggest bottlers in world sport... they cannot handle pressure and sooner or later wenger is guna have to change things and stop being so arrogant thinking what he is currently doing is going to work.. obviously 5/6 years without a trophy shows its failing miserably

Yeah major UK club because of who? What was that French guys name who revolutionised the club and brought in some amazing talent?

19 teams don't win the PL every year, and more teams don't win the cups. Yes there a few scenarios where Arsenal are better, but imagine the trillions where they are worse. Look at Liverpool - staying at the top isn't easy, but Arsene does it year in year out. People calling for him to be sacked simply fail.

so do united and chlsea but they have the silverware to match

He's an awesome manager, but he's just too stubborn/proud, when away from home he should play more uglier, more defensive, should do what it takes to win. He seems to want to prove every wrong, and wants to win the league then say "Look at that, you all doubted we'd win the league, and we've done it, and you all said I needed to spend big." But if he does spend big, and get some quality in, they'll win the league. No doubt.

Point is, not only will those young players come to fruition, but also the financial fair play rules will give Arsenal a huge advantage. Their time will come, and Arsene will be vindicated.

Yer maybe, but like i stated in another thread these new financial regulations is a rule and rules are made to be broken. The top clubs in jepody i.e Chelsea, Man City and Real Madrid will have experts working all over these rules looking for a loophole. And being Uefa you can bet there is a way round this.

I don't think Arsenal would sack him and if Wenger thinks he can't do it anymore he will step down of his own accord. Don't like the guy at all but have nothing but massive respect for him.
Great manager.

He's an awesome manager, but he's just too stubborn/proud, when away from home he should play more uglier, more defensive, should do what it takes to win. He seems to want to prove every wrong, and wants to win the league then say "Look at that, you all doubted we'd win the league, and we've done it, and you all said I needed to spend big." But if he does spend big, and get some quality in, they'll win the league. No doubt.

Imo, you are so very very very wrong. That is exactly the opposite of the Wenger way, the point is to win trophies whilst entertaining the crowd and being financially sensible. Giving up that view to win trophies is akin to a band 'selling out', its about integrity. Success isn't anything, style is everything. You are remembered longer for what you did for the game and your manner of business than just 'what you win', in the same way nobody will remember Tinie Tempah in 10 years despite his number 1 singles and everybody remembers Nirvana who never hit number 1 once.

Yes what he has done for this club is immense but if Arsenal are happy with building excellent youth players and being a nearly club every season then yes by all means keep him in charge.

Typical Chelsea fan thinking there.. Sack a manager when the going gets a little tough without giving much credit to what he's achieved in the past.

AW is one of the most consistent managers in the world, to sack him would be embarrassing.

Agree. On everything.

Yer maybe, but like i stated in another thread these new financial regulations is a rule and rules are made to be broken. The top clubs in jepody i.e Chelsea, Man City and Real Madrid will have experts working all over these rules looking for a loophole. And being Uefa you can bet there is a way round this.

Nice. So Chelsea will just cheat their way through FFP regulations. Good to know.