Le Classique - Une rivalité à un autre niveau

Status
Not open for further replies.
PSG.png

Le Classique IV - 26/10/10

The fourth Le Classique that has been played since I overtook as manager, and this one proved to be the most exciting. The record so far is 2 losses and 1 draw, and it is not looking good for me, but could we turn it round? Even at home Le Classique is a tough match, but when we go to the Stade Velodrome it's even harder, minimal PSG fans and a lot of OM fans creates a bad atmosphere for us. We walked out to be jeered and yelled at, this only made us want it more, we needed to prove that we could beat Marseille. Our lineup looked like this:

View attachment 104083

We went out with a balanced style, playing as we always do. My assistant manager told me that Marseille seem to struggle against teams that play with high defensive lines, so I told Kompany and Sakho to push everyone up. We also played a wider and slower game, hoping to draw them out and hope they make a mistake before pouncing.

sakho.jpg

Sakho yells at Ceara to push up

The match started terribly as Kompany picked up an injury in the second minute, but I couldn't take him off, we needed him at the back to settle everyone. It came from a corner, after he headed over the bar he fell awkwardly. 3 minutes later Henry produced the second shot of the game, but Mandanda saved easily. The ball then went down the other end and this time it was Felipe that had to make the save, saving easily though. The game then settled down and nothing happened until Bodmer's volley in the 17th minute, but he hit it wide wasting a decent chance. He had another chance 10 minutes later, this time hitting it over the bar. They got a corner 3 minutes later, and Felipe made the save and threw it wide early. This resulted in Sessegnon pushing forward, getting round Taiwo and getting in a shot, but it was straight at Mandanda, Taiwo was injured in this play.

steve-mandanda-eu-beaucoup-travail-premiere-periode.jpg

Mandanda saves Sessegnon's shot

The game settled down again, and both teams looked comfortable in possession but then stupidly lost the ball. In the 39th minute we picked up the ball through Annan who played it out to Ceara, who knocked it through for Sessegnon. Henry got over to support and took it to the byline, before knocking it back to Nene. He shaped to shoot, before passing left to Annan on the edge of the box, who passed it left again to Kalou and he hit it from the edge of the box and it went in the bottom corner to put us up 1-0, with 5 to go till halftime.

_42384917_kalou_ap.jpg

Kalou celebrates the opening goal

We knocked it round until halftime, but with one minute to go, we gave away a freekick a bit outside the box, fortunately Cheyrou hit it high and wide. So that was it so far, we went into halftime with a 1-0 lead, after an exciting first 45 minutes, and more was to come. At the start of the second half, Chantome came on to replace the tired Bodmer who had done brilliantly, defending and attacking. 3 minutes in and Annan was down, but he got straight back up and continued without injury. Another minute later Sessegnon was fouled and their defender Diawara was shown a yellow card. It then proceded into an end to end game and Gignac produced the best save of the game from Felipe, low to his left he pulled off a brilliant save.

0,,15149971-EX,00.jpg

Felipe saves again

With half an hour to go we pulled back and looked to counter attack, and it almost worked as we pushed forward after a Marseille corner, Ceara knocked it out to Kalou, who ran for about 50 metres before pulling up and knocking it to Henry. Henry then passed it to Ceara again who knocked it through for Sessegnon but he missed just to the left from a tight angle, our best chance to go up 2-0 but it was difficult.

46724_news.jpg

Sessegnon's shot just misses

Camara then came on for Kompany who did well to play as long as he did, but the injury caught up with him, also Adam Hlousek came on for Thierry Henry who played excellent, setting up 2 or 3 opportunities. With 20 to go Marseille started to look desperate, and eventually one of them, Hilton, received his second yellow and got his marching orders, a red card giving us the numbers advantage.

ImageHandler.ashx

Hilton in disbelief after his red card

With our number advantage we held on to the ball easier, and we were allowed to play at our pace, and the time passed, very slowly with only one more real chance coming to Chantome, but nothing came of it. And with that we walked away 1-0 winners over rivals Marseille, at their home ground, the Stade Velodrome, a great win for all people involved with PSG.

PSG-celeb-edited1_2390874.jpg

PSG Celebrate the win

View attachment 104082

My MOM goes to Nene for yet another brilliant passing display in the midfield, involved in nearly all of our goal chances, a real team player, a man I need to keep in my team. But of course all of our team played wonderfully, and I congratulate them all for a brilliant win that will be remember until the next Le Classique. A special mention to Kalou for his brilliant goal.

54360_hp.jpg

Man of the Match - Nene

Nick van Aalst​

Last edited:
PSG.png

Out of this world October!

The month of October saw an amazing rise in form for PSG, we turned around our dismal last month and turned it into an amazing winning streak. A total of 5 games, 4 Ligue 1, 1 Europa League, and an overall great team performance everywhere we went.

The month started with what was meant to be a tough match against Bordeaux but ended up as a romping with us winning 5-1. We went ahead early through Vincent Kompany off a corner with a lovely "flick-on" header. 10 minutes later and we were 2-0 up after an amazing strike from Bodmer, a half volley from 30 metres out into the top left corner. Halftime came and went and everyone was enjoying themselves, and Nene put away our third from the penalty spot in the 49th minute. 10 minutes later Nene scored again but this time it was a 30 metre, awe inspiring free kick. Sakho got our 5th and last with 20 minutes to go. Unfortunately they got one with 2 minutes left and that left me angry. MOM to Nene for an amazing display, but anyone could have got it today.
View attachment 104246

Then another home game, this time against Nancy, and this time only 2-0. Kalou put us ahead in the 7th minute as we pushed to get an early goal, and it paid off and we could settle down. We kept dominating up until halftime and we came out second half not wanting to let up. It paid off as Kalou got his second with 20 minutes to go and put the game beyond doubt. MOM to Kalou for his two lovely goals.

Again another home game, but this time Europa League, and it was Lokomotiv Moskow that was on the wrong end of a loss. We came out with a very attacking style but it ended up as 0-0 at halftime and we were frustrated at the amount of missed chances. In the second half a change came around and our shooting was better and Kalou finally put us 1-0 up. Unfortunately Clement picked up an injury with 15 to go. Bodmer put the game away 10 minutes later and it ended up 2-0. MOM to Ceara for a brilliant display on the right hand side.

Then we went away and beat rivals Marseille 1-0 in an amazing game. I have already written a report on this so look at my last post :).

Our last game of the month was at home to Brest in a 3-0 demolition. Henry scored our first 14 minutes in and from there we never looked back. Sessegnon put us 2 up on the half hour, so we went into halftime confident. We kept dominating but not quite finishing, but with 10 minutes left Gunnarsson made it 3 points with 3 goals. MOM to Henry for a great target man role.

We currently lie 2nd in Ligue 1 with 2 or 3 games in hand on most teams, so were in a very good position. In Europa League we lie first and we're in a dominant position.

View attachment 104245

Nick van Aalst​

PSG.png

Désagréable November

A terrible month, only 5 points in Ligue 1 and none in Europa League left me in shock, and the team depressed. The worst month I could wish for after the undefeated month last time, and then a month with one win, just horrible.

Our month started with our only Europa League game, and it ended in a 1-0 loss away to Lokomotiv Moscow. The only goal of the game came in the 27th minute, and the game never looked to change. A boring and drab game, it hurt to watch as almost all chances were squandered and the passing was off all game. MOM to Nene who was pleasing as always, but his efforts couldn't change the result.

Another away game was in store, this time away to Sochaux and a dominant performance only saw a 1-1 draw come out of the game. Their keeper was amazing, and he looked almost invincible out there today. He did concede, however, to Mathieu Bodmer in 13th minute, but that did nothing as Sochaux equalised midway through the second half to gain a point. MOM to Bodmer for a good performance, magnificent goal, and unlucky to not score another.

Yet another away game was in store, this time against Valenciennes and finally a win looked like it was coming, but two late goals saw us lose 3-2. They went ahead 5 minutes in, only for Henry and Sakho to give us the lead going into halftime. Unfortunately they did score two more when they didn't deserve them, but they got the three points and we got nothing. MOM to Sessegnon for a lovely right wing performance, his best of the season so far.

View attachment 104840

Our first home game of the month brought only a point as we battled with Saint-Ettiene for a 0-0 draw. A drab match on a wet day, shooting was terrible and you can't blame the players, in those conditions Lionel Messi would've looked like a 10 year old. A measly 14% shot on target ratio today. MOM to Ceara who looked good out there in the rain.

Our only win of the month came courtesy of a 2-0 win against Grenoble. We dominated the first half, but couldn't score to save our lives. I got stuck in at halftime and it worked as Sessegnon and Henry put us 2-0 up within 10 minutes of the restart. Again it was terrible shooting, but this time they should have been better, a nice day, no reason to be that bad. MOM to Nene again, this kid seems like he is always working hard and playing his best, so far this season he has been incredible!

View attachment 104841

Our last game of the month was an away game against Stade Rennes and it ended in a disappointing 1-0 loss. Their 38th minute strike won them 3 points on the day, and sent us home with a lot of thinking to do. A dominating perfomance on the field, but again our complacency in front of goal saw us kiss three points goodbye. MOM to Nene, two games in a row, he is definitely on form at the moment.

Well what can I say, my worst month as Le PSG manager, we still sit in forth in Ligue 1, 4 points of Lille with a game in hand, and imagine if we played a bit better this month, we could be sitting top with a game in hand and everyone would be amazed, what a difference a month can make. Still 1st in Europa League and we only need 1 point to qualify for the next round, but we still need to play for first spot with 2 games left.

View attachment 104842View attachment 104839
Nick van Aalst​

graeat story mate I see you put in a lot of time and effort keep it up

PSG.png

Develish December

The month of December was amazing for Le PSG, a string of brilliant results coming of a disappointing November was just what we needed. Everyone in the team pulled together and made it a pleasant month for all PSG fans.

We started the month with an away game to Heerenven in the Europa League, a match that saw us qualify for the next round with a 1-0 win. We won the game through a Mevlut Erdince goal right before halftime, and even though we got the three points I was disappointed, as we could have and should have got more goals. MOM to Erdinc for the goal that got us the three points today, good contribution from him.

Next up was another 1-0 win, this time at home against Monaco in Ligue 1. A trip down memory lane for Henry, and it was him who almost scored our goal, but his pressure off a corner resulted in an own goal, and the three points for us that saw us leave the stadium in a good mood. We had a lot of shots, but could not get them on target today, a disappointing match in that perspective. MOM to Ceara for a brilliant display today, attacking and defending.

Next an away game to Auxerre, a 2-0 win for us, our third win on the trot, and a confidence boost for all. We had to wait till late for the first goal, but Erdinc provided with 15 minutes left, and Hlousek made sure of the 3 points five minutes later. A bit better finishing today, but again would have like to see more. MOM to Sakho for a great defensive game, never allowing the opposition any good chances.

Our last Europa League game, a home game against Vit. Guimaraes, another 2-0 win, another three points. Hlousek grabbed the opener half an hour into the game with a lovely left footed striker from the edge of the box. Kalou scored our second in injury time, and saw us finish top of our group. We really should have scored another 2 or 3 today, I'm greatly disappointed with the lads. MOM to Kalou for a good display today, never looked like putting a foot wrong.

View attachment 104851

Another home game, this time against Toulouse and it ended with a point for both teams, a drab 0-0 draw. We did get a penalty in the 20th minute, but Nene had it saved, and no one looked like scoring from then. A very boring game, and a draw was probably the fairest result today. MOM to Ceara for a great attacking and defending display again.

Then our final game of 2010, and it proved to be an exciting game, a home game against Lyon, a match that ended up 4-1 to us, and the three points were well earned. Chantome scored from the spot to put us 1-0 within 10 minutes. The lead was doubled as Sessegnon put the ball in the back of the net with a brilliant strike from the edge of the box in the 21st minute. They pulled one back 10 minutes later and it worried us, but at halftime I told the lads we had this, this was our game and they responded well. Within 5 minute of the restart Chantome made it three with his brace. Sessegnon put the game away with 1 minute left with his second aswell. MOM to Sessegnon and Chantome, they played brilliantly today, just amazing.

View attachment 104850

So at the end of 2010 we sit proudly 1st in Ligue 1, and we are through to the knockout stages of the Europa League. We are drawn against Rangers in the knockout rounds, what a great tie that will be. In the transfer window I'm looking to sign a young left back, so any suggestions welcome guys, your input helps. That's it for me this year, see you in 2011.

View attachment 104849View attachment 104852
Nick van Aalst​

Looking good mate, very good actually. 1st in the league is great and I'm following so I'll try to post more and keep you motivated as lack of posts after effort is always a bummer.

Thanks man, haha yeah it is, unlucky about your bayern save, hopefully it comes back :)

Always enjoy a story in Ligue 1, i will be following

PSG.png

The Winter Signing

At the end of the December update, I said I was looking for a young left back, and I have found that man! He is an 18yr old Brazilian born in Campinas. His full name is Jose Rodolfo Pires Ribiero. He has one youth cap for Brazil, so far. He has played for three clubs, Cruizero, Corinithians, Bahia on loan and now he plays for PSG. He has played 93 competitive club game, scoring 6 times and claiming 9 assists, picking up 1 MOM award on the way. It is an incredible record for a 18yr old, and just imagine with 15 years or so ahead of him the wonders he can do for us here at PSG. It is my pleasure to announce the signing of Dodo.

dodo.jpg

We have signed Dodo for a fee of 2.3 million, a lot less than I originally thought with a fee of 3.5 million thought to have been needed to pay, so 1.2 million saved is amazing.

View attachment 105056
Nick van Aalst​

Great signing mate I hope he does the job for you Jen he develops more! That's a bargain price too for sure, great buy!

PSG.png

Jolly January

The month of January brought lovely results for PSG, and all fans of PSG around the world should be proud of the month we had. We were deadly in front of goals, yet we let no one past at the defensive end often. If we keep this up we will be a deadly force.

We started the month away in a French Cup match against Besancon RC, a match that resulted in a total domination from us. Salomon Kalou opened the scoring in the very first minute with a lovely left footed strike. Henry put us 2-0 up 5 minutes later with another left footed strike. Within 20 minutes we were 4-0 up due to a Sessegnon goal from the edge of the box, and a second Kalou goal, identical to the first. That did us until halftime, but it wasnt over as Chantome made it 5 with 25 minutes left. Kalou scored his third and our last three minutes later to make it 6-0 and leave us in the changeroom in a wonderful mood. MOM to Kalou for his wonderful hatrick.

View attachment 105569

Our next game was a home Coupe De La Ligue match against Boulogne. We waited 22 minutes for Mathier Bodmer's opening goal, but it was well worth the wait, a wonderful strike from a good 30 yards. They equalized 4 minutes later, only for Henry to make it 2-1 to us and to take us into halftime with the lead. Chantome put us 3-1 up with 20 to go and Hoarau settled the game 5 minutes later with a lovely strike from a tight angle. MOM to Sessegnon who assisted two of the four goals today, brilliance from the winger.

The only points we dropped in Ligue 1 came away to Nice as we played out a 2-2 draw. Nene gave us the lead 7 minutes in with an curling left footed strike from the edge of the box, top corner, beautiful goal. Nene's goal was cancelled out in the 28th minute, but Kalou restored the lead only 2 minutes later. Just before halftime, and I mean just, they made it 2-2. The second half turned out to be a bore with both teams not wanting to make any mistakes. MOM to Nene for a dominating performance in the midfield.

We bounced back at home to Le Havre with a 2-1 win in Ligue 1. We did go behind early, but we didn't get our heads down and it paid off as Kalou made it 1-1 in the 22nd minute. Nene gave us the lead 6 minutes later, and for the second game running all the goals were scored in the first half. We dominated them and probably deserved to hit the back of the net more, but their keeper played very well today, well enough to play for France. MOM to Henry who played brilliantly, and barely even put a foot wrong today.

French Cup came around again and again we beat Le Havre, the second game in a row, 1-0, this time away. The first half we played well, constantly putting pressure on the Le Havre back four, but they coped and we went into the break at 0-0, although they were a man down due to a red card. Second half and the deadlock was broken by that man Kalou who is in the form of his life. We kept up the pressure but their keeper was on fire again. MOM to Kalou who just keeps getting better and better.

Next up was a tough away trip to Lille for the Coupe De La Ligue Quarter Final, and finally we beat them, although it took extra time to do so, we ended up 2-0 winners. In probably the most exciting game of the year, the keepers took centre stage as they saved left, right and centre to take it to extra time, were their keeper was finally beaten by Nene in the 99th minute with a BEAUTIFUL shot from 25 yards, top corner perfection! Henry made sure of qualification to the next round 4 minutes later with a placed finish after some nice work from Nene. MOM to Nene for his all around amazing game today, brilliant in defence and attack.

View attachment 105570

Another away game to end the month, this time away to Caen, we took all three points with a solitary goal. A balanced game, few shots, lots of fouls, not a game you would pay to watch, lucky I don't have to pay ;). We waited until there was 15 minutes left to break the deadlock, and the man who did was Mevlut Erdinc, with an easy one on one finish. Camara got sent off in the last minute and that made me angry, a week's wage fine for him. MOM to Erdinc for his game winning goal.

A month were we won all but one game has to be good, we're still in every competition, and we are at the top of Ligue 1. This could well be PSG's year, but I don't want to jinx it. Next month Europa League returns and I couldn't be more excited, but with a packed schedule our main focus is Ligue 1 and no injuries.

View attachment 105568
Nick van Aalst​

PSG.png

Yet Another Brazilian

With the transfer window shut, I looked to spend some money for the future, I had roughly 2 million to spend. I was looking for either a Left/Right Winger or a Centre Back. I looked to the Brazilian and French youth as I always do, and I found this young man. His name is Celso Franca da Silva, or Celso for short. He is a Centre Back that currently plays for Santos, on loan from Fluminese. He is 16 years old so cannot move to us until 2012 due to the age rule in Brazil. He has made 33 appearances for Fluminese, and none for Santos. When he comes into the team he will be a brilliant replacement for Kompany in the long run, although he might need to be taught some new positions. I spent 1.8 million on him, if I had waited it could have been 10 million. I am also looking to bring in Diego Renan next season.

conca1_display_image.jpg

In action for Fluminese

View attachment 105602
Nick van Aalst​

-------------------------​

Note - The picture isn't him as he is a regen ;)

PSG.png

Fantastic February?

The month of February was packed, with 4 competitions to be played and an overall of 8 games, injury struck hard, and forced me to make rash decisions, and that led to a few problems with our results, but we stuck at it and this is what happened.

The month started with the Coupe De La Ligue, at home to Lyon, and we exited the competition with a 2-1 loss to worthy opposition. Pjanic scored both their goals, in the 17th and the 70th minutes, and that left Kalou's single goal in the 77th minute useless, although 2-1 is better than 2-0. Sakho was injured, but only for 2 days with a dead leg. MOM to Kalou today, but it wasn't an impressive performance from anyone.

Then in the most exciting game of the year, we drew 3-3 at home to Lille in Ligue 1, but we should have won! We came back twice through Kompany and Sessegnon and the game was back and forth, end to end all game, and chances came think and fast. Sessegnon's goal in the 72nd minute looked to have settled the game as a 2-2 draw as the players looked tired and didn't want to play. But with 5 minutes left, Nene came on and sparked the team up, and it led to a Bodmer shot hitting the post after some brilliant play. Nene took matters into his own hands in injury time and made it 3-2 with 2 minutes left, and it looked like we had the three points, but off the kick off they went down to our goal and scored with literally seconds left, it broke our hearts, and we left the ground in a sombre mood, but we should be happy, we took the champions all the way to the wire. MOM to Felipe who kept us in all game long, and with a keeper like him we can win anything.

View attachment 105995

Next up was an away trip to Lorient for French Cup action, and we advanced with a 3-2 win. Henry and Bodmer scored our first two in the first twenty minute, and it looked like another dominating game for us. But it turned out that it wasn't, Lorient took the game to us and got a goal back two minutes into the second half. Kalou settled us down 6 minutes later and it looked like we were through. They gave us a scare though as they made it 3-2 with 1 minute left, but the scored stayed like that and we're through. MOM to Nene, the Brazilian is back to his brilliant best.

Another match against Lyon, this time Ligue 1, this time away, this time 2-1, but another loss. We were dominated from the first whistle and they scored in the 7th and 30th minutes, and it never looked like changing as they played how and where they wanted to. They dragged us wide and opened up gaps for chances, but Felipe saved us from an embarrassment. MOM to Felipe for a fine performance in goals.

Our third away game in a row, this time Europa League away to Rangers, and we got what we went there for, an away goal, but we lost 2-1. Things started terrible as Necid put them up in 10 minutes. A further 8 minutes later it was 2 as Felipe dropped the ball for Miller to tap in. Erdinc settled the game with a goal 3 minutes later, and from there it was a bore match as neither team wanted to concede. MOM to Nene who is definitely back to his brilliance as he dominated the midfield.

Squashed between the Europa League games was a home game to Lorient in Ligue 1, that ended 3-1 for PSG, and 3 points to extend our Ligue 1 lead. We had to wait until the second half for Kompany to take the lead, and Erdinc doubled it in the 53rd minute. Gunnarsson made it 3 with 25 left on the clock, but nothing looked like it was going to change. They scored a consolation with 10 left, but it was nothing more than that, a consolation. MOM to Sessegnon for an amazing display in midfield today.

In a must win Europa League home tie, we did just that, running out 2-0 winners against a formidable Rangers side. Sessegnon got injured in the 32nd minute and it looked bad for us, but we played on and Bodmer put us ahead in the 53rd minute with a wonder strike. Hoarau sealed the next round spot with a tap in with seconds left, and he sent PSG fans into raptures as he kissed his badge and jumped into the crowd to celebrate. We now face Benfica in the next round in what will be a tough match. MOM to Felipe who really saved us again, he made up for his spill in the first leg and made numerous flying saves to keep us in it, and he amazed us all.

View attachment 105994

Our last game in a busy month, an away trip to Bordeaux in Ligue 1 ended in a 0-0 draw, but at a cost. It was a boring game as we were tired from Europa League. It showed as we only just scraped a draw, although Kalou almost scored for us, but he hit the post. With second left Bordeaux became desperate and tackles flew around and Kalou came off the bad end of one, and had to be taken off, and with Sessegnon and Hlousek already out we are running out of wingers... fast. MOM to Clement who did well stepping in for tired Anthony Annan.

What a month, 8 games, 3 wins, 3 losses and 2 draws, qualification to the Next round of Europa League and French Cup, knocked out of Coupe De La Ligue and still at the top of Ligue 1. The injuries are piling up and were just getting by, and time will tell how we go.

View attachment 105996View attachment 105997
Nick van Aalst​

Just caught up with this mate, the regen should be a good signing :) shame about the Lyon result but as they say, there's always next year :), glad to see your still going on with this mate, it's great!

Just caught up with this mate, the regen should be a good signing :) shame about the Lyon result but as they say, there's always next year :), glad to see your still going on with this mate, it's great!

Yeah scout reports think he'll be better than Sakho, yeah there is :), thanks man, means a lot, your story to :)

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

PSG.png

The Injuries Rack Up in Paris

As the final stretch is just around the bend, most clubs are trying to keep their players fit and ready, but for us at PSG, it just hasn't worked so far. The latest injuries of Mathieu Bodmer and Mevlut Erdinc add to the growing list of injuries. Kalou and Henry have just returned from injured spells, so our winger problem might finally be solved.

Current Injuries

Adam Hlousek - Injured 10th Feb - 10 days left
Stephane Sessegnon - Injured 24th Feb - 9 days left
Mevlut Erdinc - Injured 17th March - 3 weeks left
Mathieu Bodmer - Injured 17th March - 6 days left
Aron Gunnarsson - Injured 15h March - 3 weeks left

Recent Injuries

Salomon Kalou - Injured 27th Feb - Spent 3 weeks out
Thierry Henry - Injured 6th March - Spent 1 week out

Our injury problems have led to Makonda playing Left Wing, Erdinc playing Right Wing and Sakho stepping into Defensive Mid for one game. Our wingers are our main problem, but some are returning, but I will definitely looking to buy a back up next summer.

s_62800_62_2010_1.jpg
s_37157_3955_2010_1.jpg

s_27305_583_2010_1.jpg

Some of the injured players
17-3-10​
Nick van Aalst​

PSG.png

Europa League 2nd Knockout Round
PSG vs Benfica

This tie was huge, easier than last year against Man City, but still a very tough challenge. The first Leg was away at the Estadio do Sport Lisboa e Benfica, the second at the Parc des Princes.

1st Leg - Estadio do Sport Lisboa e Benfica - 10-3-10

A balanced match, exiting, end to end, plenty of chances, 3 goals scored, but who came away with the win? Within four minutes we had scored, or so we though, Mevlut Erdinc's "goal" was ruled offside as Bodmer's pass came just too late. Erdinc had another chance 3 minutes later, but it was straight at the keeper. The game settled down until a small fight erupted in the 30th minute between Makonda and Vrsalijko after Vrsalijko's rough challenge on Makonda, but only warnings were handed out and both players should consider themselves lucky.

tripy-makonda-300x200.jpg

Me telling Makonda to calm down

They won a corner in the 38th minute, but Felipe punched clear to Erdinc who held the ball up, played it out to Nene who switched it to Makonda. Makonda took on Vrsalijko and got past, ran to the byline, pulled it back, Erdinc layed it off for Chantome who hammered it home for the 1-0 lead. A brilliant strike from 25 yards, absolutely stunning from the 23yr old.

clement-chantome[1].jpg

Chantome about to strike it

Halftime came and went, we tried to settle the game as we had our away goal, we waited for our chances and in the 58th minute Hoarau had a chance, but it was saved. Again we controlled and 6 minutes later we worked another opportunity and this time Hoarau put the ball in the net for 2-0. A great volley after some good work from Erdinc on the right hand side to double our lead.

Guillaume-Hoarau_get205.jpg

Hoarau celebrates his wonderful volley

We pulled back and they started to get desperate, making fouls everywhere, but they pushed us back into our half, and it paid off for them as David Luiz scored for Benfica to give them some hope with 10 minutes left. A thunderous drive from the edge of the box. We started holding onto the ball and they never looked like scoring again. The game ended 2-1 and we had got 2 away goals, what a brilliant display from the lads!

IMG_3848.JPG

The fans celebrate the win

MOM to Chantome for his dominating display in midfield, and also his wonder goal, what an amazing goal, a contender for goal of the year!

chantome_clement_21.jpg

MOM - Clement Chantome

----------------

2nd Leg - Parc des Princes - 17-3-10

A week later they travelled to France, and the city waited in anticipation of a potential Europa League Quarter Final place. Tripy Makonda was again asked to play the unfamiliar left wing role like last leg.

410w.jpg

Fans wait to get into Parc des Princes

Within 5 minutes you could tell of the tension in the stadium, PSG fans trying to "outchant" the Benfica fans. In the 7th minute Bodmer went down injured and all of Paris yelled in anger. Bodmer had to go off, and Sankhare got his chance to show what he's made of. 7 minutes later and we had the lead through an unlikely source, Tripy Makonda. The play came through Nene, then Sankhare who played a brilliant through ball for Makonda to place in the corner.

11_68e8b5e56a39a08a25c723b3f73077db_332.jpg

Makonda ready to score

The game started to go Benfica's way and they wasted two chances to equalize, but both shots went wide. In the 26th minute Erdinc had a lovely chance to score after a mistake by Benfica's Luisao and Erdinc converted making it 2-0 on the night, 4-1 on aggregate. Great awareness from Erdinc to intercept the misplaced pass and take it past Luisao to score a brilliant solo goal.

photo_1270936655999-2-0.jpg

Erdinc runs off to celebrate

Again they slowly took over, they won a corner only for Felipe to punch away. In the 35th minute Ceara made a lovely run down the right hand side, he ran from our box to just in their half, laid it off to Nene to one-two with Chantome, then play it through to Erdinc who made it 2 for him and 3 for us, what a first half for PSG. Halftime came and went and the game played out evenly, chances at both end but no goals, until Cardozo scored for Benfica in the 66th minute to make it 3-1.

Oscar+Cardozo.jpg

Cardozo celebrates his goal

Dodo came on to replace Armand, Europa League for the young left back. Benfica pushed forward, and in doing so exposed a weak, slow backline, unfortunately we couldn't take advantage. In the 79th minute, Sankhare, having the game of his life, strode past half way, took the ball past two Benfica players before he was fouled about 35 yards from goal. Nene stepped up to take the free kick and what a free kick it was, flying past the wall curling into the bottom corner, an absolute stunner from the Brazilian maestro.

54360_hp.jpg

Nene celebrates his magnificent free kick

Within a minute of Nene's goal, Cardozo scored his second of the game, but it was surely too little too late for Benfica. With 3 minutes left, Sankhare played a wonder ball through for Hoarau to put in the top corner to make it 5-2, and 7-3 on aggregate. That was the game, fitting that Sankhare played the ball for Hoarau as he had a magical game in the middle.

PSG-SANKHARE.jpg

Sankhare watches Hoarau finish the match

Well what a game, 7 goals on the night, 10 on aggregate, an amazing display from PSG to "brush" past Benfica. Next game is against Werder Bremen in the Quarter Finals, and if we go through that we play the winner of Sampdoria and Chelsea in the Semi Finals.

2148.jpg

MOM Younousse Sankhare

View attachment 106000View attachment 106001
17-3-10​
Nick van Aalst​

Last edited:
I had a brainwave last night, so now all big matches and big transfers will be a diary entry from Mr. Nick van Aalst, but all the normal updates will be the same.

-------------

StoryHeader.png

Le Classique V - Parc des Princes - 20-3-10

I walked onto the Parc des Princes pitch, I've never seen it so packed, it had to be sold out tonight, and why wouldn't it be, the biggest match of the year was only 10 minutes away, PSG vs Marseille. We were 3 points ahead of them on the table, and with 9 matches to go, this match could have decided the winners of Ligue 1. We beat them earlier this year, and we hoped to do the same tonight. We lined up as follows:

Felipe
Ceara - Sakho - Kompany - Armand
Clement
Chantome - Sankhare
Kalou - Makonda
Henry

With a few injuries and suspensions it looked a bit like a make-shift lineup, but still one that could compete. Clement in for the suspended Annan, Chantome and Sankhare in for the tired Bodmer and Nene, and Makond again playing wide on the left. I was very nervous, I knew how big this match was, how much impact it had on the final positions in Ligue 1, and as we beat Marseille last time round, they were definitely out to get us back.

parc-des-princes.jpg

The fans get prepared for the big game

The whistle went for the start of the game and within a minute Lucho Gonzalez was down, a rough challenge from Chantome went unpunished, luckily, but I would give him a talk at halftime for that. 2 minutes later and Marseille produced the first shot of the game, straight at Felipe though from Marvin Martin. We won the next freekick a minute later, as Henry was taken down by Silvestre, Kompany struck the free kick hard, but Mandada saved comfortably. The game started to turn in the favour of Marseille as they pushed for an opening goal, numerous chances were had but none converted as Felipe dived and saved shots all over.

G79692EC8AFE54A27AA634977E9426558.jpg

Felipe with another amazing save

We got a rare chance through Makonda off a corner with 10 minutes left in the half, only our third shot of the game, not a good first half. To take the game to halftime Felipe made two more saves taking his total count up to 6 for the game so far. The halftime talk was hard, I didn't want to be harsh, but they had to improve. I told Felipe he was doing brilliantly, I told Chantome to calm down or he was off, and I told the rest of the team to fire up and do this for the fans, they deserved to see a win tonight. I brought on Nene to replace Makonda who wasn't doing much. I had total faith in Nene, he is our best player this season, and hopefully he can win this match for us, even though he was tired he still has the ability to tear apart teams. Nothing really changed and Marseille continued to push with Felipe having to make another save. 10 minutes into the half and Ceara went down clutching his hamstring, it didn't look good.

ceara.jpg

Ceara pulls his hamstring

I looked at the bench, and I decided to give Dodo a chance, I put Armand out on the right for Ceara and then Dodo slotted into left back. I also told Dodo to tell Nene and Kalou to push more central in attack as we weren't getting outside their fullbacks out wide. It seemed to work as only 10 minutes later Kalou had a chance from a Nene pass, but Mandanda saved well. Again another chance came, this time a long range effort from Clement, but it hit the crossbar and went over to the agony of every PSG fan. Marseille had their second chance of the half through Hilton but he struck it straight at Felipe. Unfortunately Kompany picked up an injury and I though it was best to bring him off, with Camara coming on the replace him.

zoumana-camara.jpg

Camara gets an early touch

I yelled at Sakho to get up the team, and it seemed to work, Sakho told them where to go and we slowly started to take over the game. With 10 minutes left Marseille looked out of it and I saw a glimmer of hope, a glimmer of 3 points, even a glimmer of the Ligue 1 title. We pushed forward and a good move developed, all the way from Sakho's tackle, Camara picked up the ball and played it to Dodo who ran a good 40 yards, then layed it off to Nene around the left corner of the box, Nene switched it to Kalou who nodded it to Henry. Henry laid it off for Chantome, one touch around the defender, about to shoot, and the whistle goes. Chantome was taken down in the box and a penalty awarded. Nene got the honour, stepped up calm and collected, placed the ball on the spot and...

Football-European4-1.jpg

Nene readies himself for the penalty

I stood there praying to God. I have never been a good Christian, but I still believe in God, and I hoped, I wished, I prayed that he would be there for me, for Nene, for all of Paris. The 83rd minute, all of Parc des Princes held their breath, he started his run up, took five steps and smashed it in the top left corner, Mandanda went right, the ball was in the net, PSG were up 1-0, I ran all the way down to Nene and the team in the corner and celebrated the goal with the fans. I took off my business shirt to reveal a PSG shirt underneath, I thumped the badge, and jumped on Nene. What a penalty, top left, no saving that! I got warned about my behaviour as I walked back to the dugout with a huge smile on my face. Sakho yelled at the boys, "It's not over boys, NO GOALS!", ahh what a captain, just what we needed. The last 10 minutes we were hammered with pressure, but each time Sakho or Camara got up to clear.

2551164120-soccer-barclays-premier-league-west-ham-united-v-bolton-wanderers.jpg

4 minutes added on

4 minutes... dammit, another ****** 4 minutes to survive. Marseille got desperate, and we won more and more fouls, but we got pushed further and further back. With seconds left Gignac hit the ball well towards the goal, Dodo did well to get in front of it, but it fell to Cheyrou who hammered a volley to the top left corner. My heart jumped up into my mouth, it looked like it was in, Marseille were gonna draw the game, but then out of nowhere Felipe came flying across to tip it wide and save the game. The resulting corner was held by Felipe, hoofed clear and the whistle went, it was all over, the game was finished, we won, a 1-0 thriller, I couldn't have asked for much more. God I love football sometimes, well all the time but you know what I mean. We did what no one expected and came away with the win. MOM to two players that won us the game. Nene for his penalty, and Felipe for his 9 fantastic saves, especially the last one that proved to save the game.

felipe-corinthians1.jpg

One MOM, Felipe

View attachment 106133

Status
Not open for further replies.