• Replies Replies 995
  • Views Views 319K

MHWzizh.png

CCk9urn.jpg

Celta 0 - Deportivo 0

Goals - N/A

P.O.M. - Augusto Fernandez (Celta)

3YqSJfU.jpg

"A relegation 6 pointer if ever there were one!

I have decided to ditch my regular preferred formation in favour of a 4-2-3-1 which I feel is more suited to the players we have. Despite appearances I sent the boys out ultra defensive.

Losing this game would have been a disaster & Celta are a much stronger team then their table position would suggest.

The match itself was as exciting as the score line would suggest. Celta had plenty of ball but more often then not were forced to take pot shots from distance as we sat deep, held our shape well & looked to counter when handed the opportunity.

All in all there was a grand total of 0 clear cut chances, not a lot of action to report on. I was however, very pleased by the way we defended. Definitely a positive which is much needed atm!"

TW9OF53.jpg

b3wTJr2.jpg

Unfortunately the teams just above the drop zone seem to have picked up points. We are now 6 points clear of safety!

Transfer News

Despite not being able to strengthen the squad for our fight against relegation, I have been on the prowl for bargain buys that can help us next year. Which ever division we're in.

The good news is that there are a number of very good targets off contract at the end of the year. The bad news is that we currently lack the funds to secure their signatures.

I have however managed to blow the little bit of budget we do have.....

bJ9R5tR.jpg

Due to scheduling differences Omar's contract was due to expire in December. My first thought was to wait a couple of months & get him in on a free.

It then occurred to me that by that stage we may well be in the Adelante which would almost definitely mean we wouldn't have the funds or the pull to land him.

Given all that, I decided to essentially spend every cent we have to ensure he is with us next year.

It may be a tad risky but I am now confident that we have the playmaker around which I can build a successful team. Quite pleased with myself atm!

I also managed to slip a 20M release clause in & made up the differences in wage demands by offering a heap of bonuses that will be rendered null & void should we be relegated! Very sneaky ;)

Last edited:

vrS5Cf9.png

"My first home game in charge of the club I love at the Raizor, the place I called home for so many years.

In an ideal world I may have asked for an easier task then 4th placed Valencia but there is nothing I can do about that.

Walking out of the tunnel I felt sick. My stomach was a mess of butterflies & I could feel my lunch stirring at the back of my throat.

Then it hit me. The noise. It was incredible! An echoing chorus of Manuel, Manuel, Manuel!

It did little to ease my nerves. So many people, expecting so much.

I was definitely home but could I deliver? Do these people even know what they are asking? We will see..."

yaFM0Zb.jpg

Deportivo 1 - Valencia 1

Goals - Bicho (14), Soldado (84)

P.O.M. - Bicho (Deportivo)

JrQLbb9.jpg

"As soon as I saw the line-ups I felt we were a chance.

I quickly switched to a shorter passing game, with Valencia looking so defensive perhaps we could control possession & limit their chances?

In the 13th minute my belief grew stronger as promising young winger Bicho made a scathing out to in run, skipping past defenders before burying his shot low across the keeper & in off the far post. We lead!

The smile on my face told the story. Now defend it boys, defend it with everything you have! We can do this, I am sure of it!

For 84 minutes we did. We controlled possession, held our shape & frustrated the **** out of Els Taronges!

They pushed so hard & for so long but it appeared as though we had all the answers. It was Alvaro Negredo that broke our hearts though.

A neat first touch turned his man before his thunderbolt strike nestled itself in the back of the net.

Absolutely gutted for the boys, they tried so hard!

Oh well, another point in the bag. An unexpected one at that!"

WVkxQJg.jpg

a49YqMV.jpg

Our hard earned point does little to save our season but there are positives, that's for sure!

Last edited:
Still 9 games left..I'm sure you'll pull something out of the bag! Good luck!

W8fMRFp.png

yWZtr6y.jpg

Deportivo 1 - Granada 0

Goals - Bicho (17)

P.O.M. - Michael Lumb (Deportivo)

EuD77KX.jpg

"My first win as Deportivo manager!

This is a bit of a strange one. I always felt we had control of the match & never really felt threatened in the slightest. When I got back to the sheds & had a look at the stats I had to double check I was looking at the right ones.

Granada fielded a weird formation & in the first half we dominated them on the flanks. I pushed our fullbacks forward to provide even more options & when Michael Lumb's cross found the foot of Bicho I felt as though the flood gates were about to open. It was all one way traffic.

At the half I reminded the boys not to drop their guard.

Its been 12 matches since we last sang that victory song guys. Don't let it slip!

Granada switched to a 4-4-2 with a wide diamond in midfield to start the 2nd but I was quickly onto it. I pushed Bergantinos into Dm, pulled Mukhatar back into midfield & narrowed my fullbacks.

This time we dominated through the middle, it was the same story really. I always felt like we had more goals in us whilst at the other end Granada offered little danger.

Or so I thought anyway.

The stats suggest something else but trust me, this was comfortable."

59OBe3j.jpg

zx1Glnn.jpg

Moving in the right direction at least. We now sit 3 points off safety, although Alaves have a game in hand. They are also our next opponents, a must win!

Hey!! First win back at the Riazor!! Congratulations!!

Also you guys are certainly trending upward form wise! L -> D -> D -> W

The great escape is on!!

Hey!! First win back at the Riazor!! Congratulations!!

Also you guys are certainly trending upward form wise! L -> D -> D -> W

The great escape is on!!

If we can beat Alaves next match it may well be!

In fact looking at our run home we also play Cordoba, Rayo & Betis all of whom are involved in that tussle at the bottom.

I'm starting to believe we can do it but there are still some big games still to come!

bME9l6W.jpg

Some more good news! Pablo is one of our most talented players & his return is most welcome.

Is it too early to suggest our luck may be changing?

View attachment 266433

Maybe not. Alaves just lost their catch up game to Madrid. They now have just 3 days to recover before our match.

The equation is simple, beat Alaves & we are clear of the drop-zone!

Last edited:
Looks like things are slowly starting to turn Manuel's way. .

Good luck against Alaves!

k6iqxqT.png

18X1Hfr.jpg

Alaves 2 - Deportivo 2

Goals - Postiga (12), Munoz (21, pen), Ezequiel (57), Celihueta (90+1)

P.O.M. - Pablo Insua (Deportivo)

LDpjEy1.jpg

"Another 6 pointer, another draw. Of course it wasn't going to be that easy!

We started this game really well & on 12 minutes had our lead when Pablo Insua played a long ball over the top of Alaves' high defensive line & found the run of Helder Postiga. The veteran didn't disappoint ending a 10 hour goal draught & handing us the lead.

Just 2 minutes later Postiga should of had his brace when Bicho again put him 1 on 1 with Goitia. Unfortunately the old fella couldn't find the target again.

21 minutes & my heart sunk as Luis Hernandez made a reckless tackle from behind in the box. The ref poited to the spot & called Luis over.

Christ! Was that a red? What's taking so long? Yellow, phew! That was a tad lucky.

Alaves converted from the spot & the score remained at 1-1 until the break.

On 57minute our lead was restored after a long spell of dominance was rewarded when Bicho played Ezequiel in with a little **** over the top. The winger hit it on the volley first time, the keeper never stood a chance! 2-1.

The remainder of the game was pretty straight forward as we looked to hold onto the win.

I was all but finalising my post game speech & preparing for the inevitable "can you now beat the drop?" type questions at the post match press conference when I heard the crowd roar. That could only mean one thing. F#@K IT!!!"

lBGbi5e.jpg

0RnmYiq.jpg

The worst thing about this draw is that in Spain head to head record between teams is taken into account before goal difference. Alaves won our first match up. :S

Frustrating with the late goal conceded mate, but with seven games left, I'm confident you'll stay up. Good luck. :D

Back