Life After Depor...

• Thread starter Thread starter Lippo255
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 995
  • Views Views 319K
First off, congratulations mate! Hope you'll have a splendid day. Though, what the **** with losing to Cordoba? Seems like that could have been the vital game really.

Thanks mate. Yeah, it was a disaster that's for sure. Makes life very difficult I'm afraid. :S

Great to see you're finally at Deportivo! It's gonna be a challenge but I know you can do it :)
And happy birthday as well!

AgpIo2O.png

"This is the definition of a must win game. Especially at home. On paper I think we can do it but the game is not played on paper & our last performance doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

I've been in this situation before of course, both as a player as well as with the first team I managed, Notts County, but this is different. This is Depor. This is the club I love!

If we go down I'm not sure how I would survive knowing that I had been the one to lead them there. We HAVE to win this!!!

gNwzXo8.jpg

Deportivo 4 - Real Betis 1

Goals - Insua (14, 28), Nono (48), Ayala (78,og.), Ezequiel (82)

P.O.M. - Pablo Insua (Deportivo)

iMwdB4K.jpg

"Evidently I was not the only nervous one, as we started this game very poorly. In fact we should have been behind after just 4 minutes when Joselu released Alvaro Vadillo on goal but thankfully German Lux was up to the task & denied Betis their lead.

In the 14th minute we won a corner from our first real foray into the Betis half which resulted in star CB Pablo Insua nodding home at the near post to give us the lead, definitely against the run of play.

The goal settled us & we begun to get the better of Betis & when we were again awarded a corner in the 28th minute Insua once again rose above the pack to double our lead. Phew that's a bit more comfortable.

At the half I told the guys to stay focused, a 2 goal lead is a very dangerous one!

In hindsight that may have been a bit too much pressure for them as Betis immediately pulled one back through Nono. 2-1 my nerves were up again!

The rest of the match really could have gone either way. We both had chances, good ones at that, but it was to be a disasterous Daniel Ayala own goal that settled it. The defender trying to clear the ball only to knock it past his own keeper.

I felt for the lad but I needed this win more! Ezequiel added our 4th in the dying minutes to make the score-line look a lot more comfortable then it really was."

HkKjn7a.jpg

bBFtSkV.jpg

I thought this would be a good time to show the top of the table, NOT! Apparently, in my alcohol affected state, I forgot to scroll down before taking the SS. In any case we are still in the drop zone with Barca up next!

Last edited:

UJTTDbN.png

"The arrival of the Champions elect, league leaders Barcelona!

The fans always look forward to these games. As a player so did I. The chance to test yourself against the best in the biz!

As a manager it is a somewhat different feeling though. More akin to dread. You can prepare all you like, formulate plans to stop this player or that but at the end of the day you know the boys will only have to be a little off or Barca to be particularly on & things could get very ugly, very fast.

IK9xqcD.jpg

Deportivo 1 - Barcelona 3

Goals - Suarez (2, 2), Rakitic (55), Postiga (88)

P.O.M. - Luis Suarez (Barca)

qyjSTtQ.jpg

"It took Luis Suarez less then 60 seconds to end any dreams we may of had of causing an upset here.

In just the 2nd minute he had his brace, back to back, within seconds of one another!

Obviously we started slow & to be honest I don't think we ever really recovered. Like the Madrid match this could of been a slaughter but for some uncharacteristic poor finishing by Barca. Messi, Neymar & even Suarez himself missed a number of good chances to completely de-moralise us.

In the end veteran striker Helder Postiga came off the bench & added some respectability to the score line but that's all it was. A consolation prize after getting thoroughly outplayed by a far superior team."

W6biDJv.jpg

igWnrub.jpg

Still the same old I'm afraid. On the cusp but just cant get over that line!

Good win against Betis. Unlucky against Barca though.

So, Rayo, Levante and Athletic to go. Looks like a thrilling finish is on the cards! :)

Good luck against Rayo.

Good win against Betis. Unlucky against Barca though.

So, Rayo, Levante and Athletic to go. Looks like a thrilling finish is on the cards! :)

Good luck against Rayo.

Thanks mate, Rayo is shaping as must win too. They all are at the moment, very tense!

kE3GuFl.jpg

Some very good news for the club. It looks as though we have found ourselves a real gem in young Bicho. The kid can play anywhere across the attacking mid roles but has really excelled since I moved him centrally.

With the arrival of Abdulrahman next season he may have to drift back out to the flanks but he is more then capable of causing problems out there as well.

Good luck Bicho, you deserve it!​

FfTuJvb.png

3HM7f9J.jpg

Rayo 0 - Deportivo 2

Goals - Lumb (88), Ezequiel (90+2)

P.O.M. - Michael Lumb (Depor)

5AGyq9j.jpg

"I swear to god these guys are trying to kill me!

This game was on a knifes edge for so long. A draw would be no good to us, a lose & I would just about call it a day on our hopes of survival.

The game was so even. Both teams looked nervous & were snatching at the chances they did create.

As the game edged towards its conclusion I was throwing men forward recklessly. We need to win this, we really do!

Rayo spurned a couple of good chances to hit us on the counter before an errant Michael Lumb cross somehow found its way over the keepers head & into the net. Now concentrate!!!! I screamed!

I was on the edge of my seat praying for the final whistle when Ezequiel broke through & put the game to rest, thank God, we're still a chance!."

7wi81he.jpg

jJZnp6o.jpg

Oh yeah! Finally we have our heads above water! Its no sure thing yet though, our remaining 2 games will not be easy & there are still a few teams that can jump above us.

The Run Home

Alaves

4gs43y6.jpg

Celta

y0sPbAj.jpg

Rayo

8JQ95O5.jpg

Us

eMzRC3f.jpg

On paper it looks like a two horse race between ourselves & Rayo, who perhaps have the easiest run home of all, though those games wont be easy either.

Last edited:
I hope both you and Rayo stay up, would rather see Alaves go down than Rayo

I hope both you and Rayo stay up, would rather see Alaves go down than Rayo

Its a possibility, Cordoba are gone, with their run in i'd say ditto for Celta so its us, rayo or alaves for sure

The suspense is killing me. Although I'm sure it's much worse for you.

It is, i played that game at 4 in the morning & it took everything i had not to scream when Lumbs cross went in lol

God that's tight! Would argue that Rayo have the easiest fixtures, but you just gutted them, so they might fail to take much from that! Bring home that safety!

u08JBxI.png

vsJ2LLU.jpg

Deportivo 1 - Levante 0

Goals - Cuenca (17)

P.O.M. - Hector Rodas (Levante)

rJllQaN.jpg

"And I thought the last match was stressful!

We started this match very well, pinning Levante in their own half & controlling possession. A number of chances came & went before, in the 17th minute, Isaac Cuenca gave as the lead, dribbling past a couple of defenders on the edge of the area & burying the ball in the back of the net.

We easily controlled the rest of the half without ever really being threatened by Levante or creating too much else ourselves to be honest.

At the half I told the boys I was happy with their performance so far. I didn't want to put to much pressure on them.

The second started much the same as the first finished. We were in control but not really creating much. We picked up a couple of injuries at the mid way point of the half & that seemed to swing the game.

All of a sudden Levante came to life! They were knocking the ball around beautifully & pushing hard for the equaliser.

I cant remember the exact stats but I'd say 90% of their shots on goal came in that final 15 minutes, god it was nervy. I could barely watch!

We held on though. By the skin of our teeth. & guess what? That'll do! We'll be in La Liga again next year!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

XVMTfsu.jpg

m00v3TE.jpg

That's it, we've done it! Safe at last! We can go into our final match against Athletic Bilbao with no pressure. Oh, what a feeling!

Well done mate! Knew you would do it! If you want tips on how to shoot up the Liga BBVA, just ask Carra ;)

Back