Life After Depor...

• Thread starter Thread starter Lippo255
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 995
  • Views Views 319K
That last minute goal could be an absolute killer. Still think you... I mean Manuel can keep them up!

Manuel's Musings - February.​

"Its been a tough start to life at Depor. I was greeted by a Cristiano Ronaldo master-class as we were demolished 6-1 by Real Madrid. Not the Welcome back I was hoping for.

We then showed signs of steady improvement as we managed to piece together a 4 game unbeaten streak including a very credible draw against Valencia & a win over mid table Granada.

It was the results either side of these 2 that were the disappointment however. Celta & Alaves are both in that relegation fight with us & victories over them could have gone a long way towards securing our safety. As it is we face a nervous run home to stave off relegation."

Xzz0PmI.jpg

Preview - The run home.

3Tv6Tf8.jpg

"With only 7 games left I wont bother breaking it down into months.

We start with a trip to 5th placed Villarreal. Not an easy ask by any means. Then we're off to bottom placed Cordoba before returning home for Real Betis, who sit just above the drop zone.

Those 2 games are must wins as we then host Barca. Not even on my most optimistic day would I expect to take points there!

Our final 3 games are away to Rayo, who are not safe from relegation themselves, home to mid table Levante & finally away to Athletic Bilbao.

I am optimistically anticipating 12 points from these games, question is will that be enough? I think so but it will be easier said then done, that's for **** sure!"

Last edited:
NOOOOOOOOOOOO...Finish the season in a few hours. It's on a knife-edge. You can't take breaks at will in football, Mr. Pablo. :P

Just kidding guys, I am as into this as anyone atm.

Dunno about finishing the season off today but the missus is at work tonight so could get a few games played ;)

mQCwXFz.png

t5grY8a.jpg

Villarreal 0 - Deportivo 2

Goals - Bergantinos (3), Cuenca (79)

P.O.M. - Alex Bergantinos (Deportivo)

XSXXMxz.jpg

"I'm still not sure how we won this one but to **** with that gimme the points!

We took the lead in just the 3rd minute when Villarreal failed to properly clear from a corner. The result was a mad scramble inside the box which culminated in Alex Bergantinos tapping in at the near post. A great start!

From there though it became an onslaught as Villarreal through everything they had at us. They constantly had 10 men sitting inside our half which I thought was playing straight into our hands. Unfortunately the guys just couldn't get that long ball over the top of their defence to unleash Helder on goal.

On the odd occasion a ball did get through the veteran just didn't have the legs to get onto it.

At half time I subbed the old guy out in favour of the younger legs of Alex Pozuelo, surely Alex could get behind them?

Nope! Same story. Villarreal camped in our half. Our guys defending for their lives.

I was really starting to dread what I perceived as the inevitable Villarreal late equaliser when out of the blue a long ball landed at the feet of Pozuelo who held the ball briefly before playing a delightful through ball to the on rushing
Isaac Cuenca.

2-0. I could finally breathe."

p37ZyJm.jpg

ExM8cEU.jpg

That late goal against Alaves is hurting us already. We have a better goal difference yet we are still in the relegation zone.

Wow, you're on the verge of safety. Awesome! Six games to play and on a roll in terms of snatching points here and there. Safety's within reach my friend.

yvzuaFQ.jpg

Some bad news out of the Villarreal match. My only natural right back, Luis Hernandez, has twisted his ankle & will be out for a couple of weeks. Looks like I will be relying on CB Aleksander Pantic to fill the void.

On a somewhat unrelated note, as expected with the missus at work I managed to play 4 of my remaining 7 matches last night. I posted the Villarreal result, but as it was my birthday, I ended up drinking instead of posting.

I awoke at 4am this morning tossing & turning wondering how the season was going to play out. (Its still very tight, not to give anything away.) So decided to get up & start work on my cropping & match headers etc. so I could share the results today.

Unfortunately, my Wi-Fi decided it wasn't going to work so I could not get my headers done or upload any screenies.

Did you go back to bed? I hear you ask.

Of course not! I played the remaining matches & will post them when my Wi-Fi decides to play ball. Apologies for the delay in transmission.

Sadly I now have to work. Enjoy your day people.

Last edited:
That's what you call dedication. Hopefully Pantic can fill the void.

And also happy birthday.

gcsYIZS.png

tJfPJAq.jpg

Cordoba 2 - Deportivo 1

Goals - Rangel (33), Postiga (62), Cabrera (66)

P.O.M. - Isaac Cuenca (Deportivo)

C9X7fRv.jpg

"Guessing we used up all our luck beating Villarreal!

We started this game well enough. It was evenish but we were definitely looking the more dangerous. Winger Lucas spurning the first real chance of the match as he blazed wide off a Cuenca cross.

On 33 minutes we went behind when a Cordoba corner somehow fell to Angel Rangel at the far post. The veteran made no mistake thumping the ball into the back of the net before wheeling away in jubilation.

FFS!!! Guys come on, wake up!

We didn't though & in all truth were probably lucky to get to the break trailing by just the one.

I gave the guys an absolute rocket in the dressing room. For Christs sake! This is the worst team in the league & you're letting them dominate you?!

The second half was an altogether different story as the boys pushed hard & finally put Cordoba under some sustained pressure.

In the 62nd minute that pressure paid off as Isaac Cuenca cut in from the left, drew the attention of a central defender before slipping the ball through to Helder Postiga to draw us level. Come on boys now finish it!

We didn't though. Just 4 minutes later we were behind again when a simple little pass over the top of our defence found the run of Airam Cabrera who calmly beat Fabricio in goal. Arghhh!!!

To our credit we kept pushing but never really threatened to get back into it. A very disappointing result!"

BKqyr7q.jpg

DUULZ4N.jpg

Well, the only thing that result does is bunch the table up. Just 8 points between 20th & 14th.

Last edited:
First off, congratulations mate! Hope you'll have a splendid day. Though, what the **** with losing to Cordoba? Seems like that could have been the vital game really.

Back