Liverpool sack Benitez

Liverpool FC today confirmed that Rafael Benitez is to leave the club by mutual consent.

Mr Benitez relinquishes his position as team manager after six years and the Board of Directors would like to place on record their grateful thanks for his services and wish him all the best in his future career.

The Board has now asked Managing Director Christian Purslow, with the assistance of Club Ambassador Kenny Dalglish, to begin a formal search to identify and assess potential candidates for the managerial position.

No timescale has been placed on the process and Liverpool FC will make no further statement until a new manager is appointed.

LFC Chairman Martin Broughton said: "Rafa will forever be part of Liverpool folklore after bringing home the Champions League following the epic final in Istanbul but after a disappointing season both parties felt a fresh start would be best for all concerned.''

Rafael Benitez said: "It is very sad for me to announce that I will no longer be manager of Liverpool FC. I would like to thank all of the staff and players for their efforts.

"I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

I don't even support Liverpool and the words "You'll never walk alone" at the end made me feel really sorry for him, and Liverpool.

Liverpool FC today confirmed that Rafael Benitez is to leave the club by mutual consent.

Mr Benitez relinquishes his position as team manager after six years and the Board of Directors would like to place on record their grateful thanks for his services and wish him all the best in his future career.

The Board has now asked Managing Director Christian Purslow, with the assistance of Club Ambassador Kenny Dalglish, to begin a formal search to identify and assess potential candidates for the managerial position.

No timescale has been placed on the process and Liverpool FC will make no further statement until a new manager is appointed.

LFC Chairman Martin Broughton said: "Rafa will forever be part of Liverpool folklore after bringing home the Champions League following the epic final in Istanbul but after a disappointing season both parties felt a fresh start would be best for all concerned.''

Rafael Benitez said: "It is very sad for me to announce that I will no longer be manager of Liverpool FC. I would like to thank all of the staff and players for their efforts.

"I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

I think that last sentence sums up his love for the club and how he's dissapointed to be leaving.

I'd like to say thankyou to Rafa for the good times! Just wish he'd left under better circumstances and perhaps the yanks were following him out of anfield.

Its a shame Rafa has gone because in my opinion he hasn't done a bad job, hopefully this will now be the start of Liverpools rise back to the top of Europe.

You can never be too sure of something in the world of football. Nothing is certain and things can change overnight.

You talk like Inter are in a financial position similar to your's when I should imagine they would have generated money from winning the League, Champions League, and League Cup. On top of that, Mourinho will probably be sniffing around to reunite players with him at Madrid. L'pool may say they're not going to sell, but things change. Remember when Henry had that interview and said 100% he would be at Arsenal the following season. Look what happened.
Inter are in massive debt, around £300m! They also spent big last summer so I don't think they will have that much money.

I swear you wanted him to be sacked for ages?
Erm, i was bitter after our dreadful season, but when i think about it proper and look over this, and read other peoples thoughts, i realised ; he's what's best for the club, and no replacement will be possible for a while, and not an adequate replacement. And loves the club

In fairness Zeb, your getting a bit argumentative and defensive,
i'm entitled to my opinion and you go and accuse me of being some stupid fan who knows nothing.
just cos i don't have the time to research the club like you do doesn't mean i'm some glory supporter!

Knowing who plays for the club and whether they're any good or not is hardly research. It's great having an opinion. But surely having some foundation in reality is a good place to start when forming it?

wait no, wasted isn't the right word, he's not spent well may be a better way of putting it.
But i spose i'm gunna get slated by you, lee and probably walrus all because i have an opinion :(

I'm just asking you to name players who he's bought and sold for a loss who've been so shockingly terrible for the money they've cost.

-----

Gloves are off with the owners now. They've removed the only obstacle to them asset stripping the player squad. There's no reason not to go properly to war with them now.

So 6M spent on getting rid of him, 5M to spend for the new manager...Good times/SARCASM

<Billy> Martin Broughton must be considered as part of the problem. A Chelsea season ticket holder brought into the club... I bet he's rubbing his hands together at the thought of getting first dibs on the players sold by Liverpool.
<Jack> Nah, he's got to stay professional, its his job to negotiate the best deals for Liverpool players now.

<Billy> He'll never be as impartial as he should be.
<Billy> Or as favourable towards Liverpool
<@Lee> Yeah Broughton has done a great job of staying professional so far
<@Lee> leaks to the press undermining Rafa... attending Chelsea's end of season awards...
<Jack> Well whoever appointed him must of been a genius
<@Lee> Agreed
<Billy> That's the issue though. Appointing a Chelsea season ticket holder is not the kind of decision someone who truly supported the club would make. Who are the owners kidding? They come out and try and say how much they've done to help the club, whilst making decisions like that. Honestly, Broughton is going to be at the next Chelsea executive dinner getting his **** sucked by the Chelsea board.

This. ^

What has attending Chelsea's end of season awards got to do with the problems of the club?

What has attending Chelsea's end of season awards got to do with the problems of the club?

Here's the thing - Broughton now has the casting vote on when players get sold. Chelsea want Benny. Is he going to play hardball over the fee? How about when Roman comes in with his bid for Torres?

Broughton's concern is not the long-term wellbeing of Liverpool FC. It's to do a financial job for the owners.

My point is regarding Martin Broughton, who is a Chelsea fan practically in charge of Liverpool. He'll never be impartial or looking to help out Liverpool as much as he should be, or if he were the chairman of Chelsea.

Don't be naïve, or biased, or whater this is.

Edit* Zeb said it well.

Because he worked with NOTHING at blackburn, signed roque santa cruz, mccarthy, nelsen and many more on free transfers
Roque Santa Cruz cost £4.5m from Bayern Munich. Benni McCarthy signed for £2.5m from Porto. Ryan Nelsen was the only free transfer out of the 3 you stated. Wrong again Joe :S Anyone else who he got on a free? He had loads to work with.

After reading what has happened at Liverpool since the yanks took over its been a disgrace that a club of that stature has been run like it is.

The wrong man has gone from Liverpool today.

I think what happened to Rafa is pretty comparable to Julius Caesar's death.

I'm absolutely ******* livid at the owners right now and I'm ****** off I can't meet those scum face to face.

Wow this really takes the ****, I'm not a pessimistic supporter but this has really ****** us over..

Back