Man City v Man Utd Saturday 17:15 KO ITV1

Who will win the Semi Final?

• Total voters
Brilliant performance. Couldnt pick out one bad performance. Yaya Toure, Kompany, Barry, De Jong and Balotelli were all brilliant. Same with Zabaleta really and kolarov provided nice width and i was delighted.

Scholes tackle was horrific, if de jong did it the media would be all over him, great player but an absolute thug sometimes.

lol it could be worse, could be filled with people slagging each other off

Thats true lol. In the "old days" thread would be closed by now lol. Think everyone realises, that the Man City just edged Man Utd in the deserving to win. Just makes a nice change to see now childish trolling right now

@Madridsta I'm a total neutral today, but I rave about Man Utd because well, just their track record and their manager. But imo City did just about deserve to win today, but were helped immensly by some quality goalkeeping from Hart. And the fact Tourre was pushed further up made a difference. If they played like this more often, ie throughout the season, I'd have a lot more respect for them and be as equally as raving. Players like Johnson, and Silva should get a lot more playing time

Last edited:
Brilliant performance. Couldnt pick out one bad performance. Yaya Toure, Kompany, Barry, De Jong and Balotelli were all brilliant. Same with Zabaleta really and kolarov provided nice width and i was delighted.

Scholes tackle was horrific, if de jong did it the media would be all over him, great player but an absolute thug sometimes.

what? joe the tackle happened less than an hour ago so dont know what "the media" has to do with anything, especially since it was discussed and criticised in the analysis

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

Thats true lol. In the "old days" thread would be closed by now lol. Think everyone realises, that the Man City just edged Man Utd in the deserving to win. Just makes a nice change to see now childish trolling right now

yeah, nice to see people have calmed down, though it maybe be down to the number of infractions i throw out :p

Mike im just saying i dont think anyone will really go on at him about it. If De jong did it then it would be like "De Jong is a thug zomfg!!!".

I honestly thought Man Utd would win this one, but as a crappy pundit i'm wrong again :L And its nice to see that the thread isnt being over-flowed with fans going ape **** at each other.

Delighted for City - Balotelli and Toure were outstanding and put in a monumental shift today. Fully deserved win and what a second half of football.. It had absolutely everything!

Scholes red looked harsh in real-time, but seeing the replay and what he did to Zabaleta's thigh I don't think there can be too many complaints (especially for all those rightly wanting Carragher to be sent off at Anfield) but City's midfield was fairly comfortable a lot of the time - two deep lying CMs ahead of a DM (Carrick?) and only Park trying to go box-to-box (and failing for much of the first half).

Thought Carrick was really poor in the defensive role today - Balotelli, Silva and Toure were forever exploiting space between the midfield and defence and Toure's goal was typical of what he was trying to for the whole game; namely run at the defenders and use his strength and height to create space and chances. Carrick just didn't pick any of them up but City's forward line was ridiculously fluid. They all seemed to have free roles with Toure going box to box, Silva drifting everywhere, Balotelli dropping deep and Adam Johnson pretty much just filling in wherever Silva wasn't.

Then of course there was his mistake.. City got all the luck today - Joe Hart sliced a clearance and got away with it, then VDS does it and doesn't + Berbatov's strange miss(es) etc. but they made their own luck.

Thought City were going to lose discipline after the goal - they should have tried to calm it down but Utd were all over them and they were making last-ditch (type) tackles on the half-way line. Clearly they were all fired up after the goal and half-time, but it looked a matter of time before Utd scored and City couldn't dictate the tempo or keep possession for more than a couple of minutes at a time just after the goal (although they had a couple of half-chances during the same period to get a second). Scholes' sending-off just allowed City to take a breather, get their energy back and kill the game.

Mancini's substitutions were spot on as well... I sort of felt Wright-Phillips could have come on earlier as Evra was getting a lot of joy on the left when Nani cut in and SWP would help track him and/or pin him back into his own half with his fresh legs and raw pace. The bringing on Vieira was fairly obvious, I suppose - experience (not only in general, but vs Utd and in FA Cup semis/important games) and some steel to a rapidly tiring City midfield.

Lastly - I have no idea what was said at FT but you can always expect someone like Balotelli to try and wind up the opponents.. Ferdinand shouldn't have taken the bait... loved that SWP was left trying to be the peacemaker between two of the biggest players on the pitch haha

Mike im just saying i dont think anyone will really go on at him about it. If De jong did it then it would be like "De Jong is a thug zomfg!!!".

de jong is a bit of a thug tbf, more than a few people come very hurt from his challeges. and we always go on about scholes tackling, though, and this is one of his poorer ones, not sure the same could be said if it was De Jong

It's incredible how United fans are taking this. I thought they would be extremely bitter. Credit! Just teach Rio to behave!

And they say we deserved it. Hopefully Fergi gives City credit too!

Happy with win and this showed that we dont need that overrated ugly Tevez ****! :D

Let's get a good winning run from here!

Just a shame Wright Phillips hasn't been used more often. I still love watching him play when he does

Prawn Wright Phillips is FTW :D The height difference between him and rio made me lol :L

Delighted for City - Balotelli and Toure were outstanding and put in a monumental shift today. Fully deserved win and what a second half of football.. It had absolutely everything!

Scholes red looked harsh in real-time, but seeing the replay and what he did to Zabaleta's thigh I don't think there can be too many complaints (especially for all those rightly wanting Carragher to be sent off at Anfield) but City's midfield was fairly comfortable a lot of the time - two deep lying CMs ahead of a DM (Carrick?) and only Park trying to go box-to-box (and failing for much of the first half).

Thought Carrick was really poor in the defensive role today - Balotelli, Silva and Toure were forever exploiting space between the midfield and defence and Toure's goal was typical of what he was trying to for the whole game; namely run at the defenders and use his strength and height to create space and chances. Carrick just didn't pick any of them up but City's forward line was ridiculously fluid. They all seemed to have free roles with Toure going box to box, Silva drifting everywhere, Balotelli dropping deep and Adam Johnson pretty much just filling in wherever Silva wasn't.

Then of course there was his mistake.. City got all the luck today - Joe Hart sliced a clearance and got away with it, then VDS does it and doesn't + Berbatov's strange miss(es) etc. but they made their own luck.

Thought City were going to lose discipline after the goal - they should have tried to calm it down but Utd were all over them and they were making last-ditch (type) tackles on the half-way line. Clearly they were all fired up after the goal and half-time, but it looked a matter of time before Utd scored and City couldn't dictate the tempo or keep possession for more than a couple of minutes at a time just after the goal (although they had a couple of half-chances during the same period to get a second). Scholes' sending-off just allowed City to take a breather, get their energy back and kill the game.

Mancini's substitutions were spot on as well... I sort of felt Wright-Phillips could have come on earlier as Evra was getting a lot of joy on the left when Nani cut in and SWP would help track him and/or pin him back into his own half with his fresh legs and raw pace. The bringing on Vieira was fairly obvious, I suppose - experience (not only in general, but vs Utd and in FA Cup semis/important games) and some steel to a rapidly tiring City midfield.

Lastly - I have no idea what was said at FT but you can always expect someone like Balotelli to try and wind up the opponents.. Ferdinand shouldn't have taken the bait... loved that SWP was left trying to be the peacemaker between two of the biggest players on the pitch haha

carrick has a good game up until then, and park wasnt box to box ,but behind berbatov, and did a decent job. the game was even but united were looking comfortable until then

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

It's incredible how United fans are taking this. I thought they would be extremely bitter. Credit! Just teach Rio to behave!

Happy with win and this showed that we dont need that overrated ugly Tevez ****! :D

funnily enough we dont all start on the thread by calling the other side scum. And if you go on about Rio, you should take a look at Balotelli too

As I have said Rio over reacted but Balotelli was also being his usally douchebag self so I understand why Rio reacted how he did. you guys did just about deserve to win it, especially after how dominant you were after the goal. Would still say you guys rely on Tevez a lot but you did show you do have other players to win you games (Tore being allowed to play more freely today). Will be interesting how you handle to occasion in the final and how Mancini decides to play ;)

Just a shame Wright Phillips hasn't been used more often. I still love watching him play when he does

Really don't rate Wright Phillips so don't blame Mancini for not using him

1) Balotelli provoked Rio and he took the bait
2) Tevez is most likely leaving and you have no proven PL goalscorer to take his place, He has scored 19 goals and only Berbatov has more, so i think you would struggle without Tevez

Really don't rate Wright Phillips so don't blame Mancini for not using him

He still has the ability to cause problems for defences though in the games I've seen him in though. If he's not used that often, he'll be rusty so some of his performances probably will be a bit ineffectual. Just needs more playing time imo

carrick has a good game up until then, and park wasnt box to box ,but behind berbatov, and did a decent job. the game was even but united were looking comfortable until then

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

funnily enough we dont all start on the thread by calling the other side scum. And if you go on about Rio, you should take a look at Balotelli too

I'm not sure Utd were "comfortable" - they had possession and created two chances in 2 minutes but didn't do a lot else tbf. First half was fairly dull bar 15 minute period, then City came out in the 2nd half fired up.

So it was 4-2-3-1 from Utd? I figured it more as a 4-3-3, but I wasn't sure. (with Carrick behind Scholes and Park pushing on slightly more so a bit skewed) - I'm not sure I've seen Utd play straightforward 4-2-3-1.. Rooney usually starts up front but drops back, no?

Either way, no one picked up Toure or Balotelli when they moved into the 'hole' - Balotelli was able to take long shots/play out wide and Toure tried to drive at Vidic

I'm not sure Utd were "comfortable" - they had possession and created two chances in 2 minutes but didn't do a lot else tbf. First half was fairly dull bar 15 minute period, then City came out in the 2nd half fired up.

So it was 4-2-3-1 from Utd? I figured it more as a 4-3-3, but I wasn't sure. (with Carrick behind Scholes and Park pushing on slightly more so a bit skewed) - I'm not sure I've seen Utd play straightforward 4-2-3-1.. Rooney usually starts up front but drops back, no?

Either way, no one picked up Toure or Balotelli when they moved into the 'hole' - Balotelli was able to take long shots/play out wide and Toure tried to drive at Vidic

And of course as well, Scholes was totally unmarked yard outside Citys box mid 36th minute. If they passed to him like he was indicating, the result potentially may have been different. It's always the smallest things in football that can change a match