Man Utd thrash Wigan to extend lead

I'm really not worried about Chelsea, it's the trip to Anfield that I see as a potential loss.

4-0 was pretty harsh on Wigan. They played well in the first half, but slack defending and they went 1-0 down.. Looked like it was going to be a typical unimpressive win for Utd but Wigan didn't put up much of a fight in the second half.

Haven't seen Rooney's elbow/whatever but seems like most people are saying he should have been sent off.

Utd will have to improve if they're going to beat Chelsea.

Wouldn't say it was that bad a performance. We got lucky a few times in the first half, VDS once again saving us, and Vidic defending like a man possessed. But in the second half we really stepped the game up, created a ton of chances and failed to finish them till the little flurry late on. 4-0 may be harsh on Wigan, it could also have been worst for them too though.

So I'm guessing Man Utd don't really have to worry that much if Rios out long term then. Have to admit when he was starting to miss games more frequently, Man Utd may suffer. By looks of it though, seems to me they manager just fine. Just shows the quality of not only regular first team players, but also the younger talent coming through

Last edited:
If not for Smalling, we would have missed Rio for sure. Evans is having a rough patch but Smalling has stepped up really well. Playing alongside Vidic also helps a lot.

If not for Smalling, we would have missed Rio for sure. Evans is having a rough patch but Smalling has stepped up really well. Playing alongside Vidic also helps a lot.

yeah have to admit, Smalling looks an excellent prospect. Been really impressed by what I have been able to see of him.

From a neutral point of view I feel that is it about time Fergie dropped Rooney as he has been poor for almost a year now and Hernandez and Berbatov have been the much better strikers for Man U, this season.

It was definitely a red card today, pathetic how Fergie and Wenger always act like their players do nothing wrong, whereas if a player playing for lower clubs like Barton, Cattermole etc done that the press and FA would go heavy on them.

From a neutral point of view I feel that is it about time Fergie dropped Rooney as he has been poor for almost a year now and Hernandez and Berbatov have been the much better strikers for Man U, this season.

It was definitely a red card today, pathetic how Fergie and Wenger always act like their players do nothing wrong, whereas if a player playing for lower clubs like Barton, Cattermole etc done that the press and FA would go heavy on them.

To be honest when it comes to Rooney, I can't decide wether or not hes better as an AMC or ST. He may not be scoring goals, but his presence does enough to cause a bit of consternation to defences. And he definately creates clear cut chances. Just can't decide. Maybe he would be better as AMC-may reduce the pressure on him to score goals all the time, and he may play better as a result. I don't know

Sigh, utd fans are pathetic on this thread. Madirista no use arguing with them, just ignore them and Mike will deal with them.

And de jong is not dirty, hes never been sent off while playing for us :)

How that was not a red card, is beyond me, He elbowed him right in the face.
joe, get a grip for christ's sake. You said i should deal with them but you're having a pop at united fans for no reason

He should not drop him he's only not scoring allot!!!He's working hard,assisting...

To be honest when it comes to Rooney, I can't decide wether or not hes better as an AMC or ST. He may not be scoring goals, but his presence does enough to cause a bit of consternation to defences. And he definately creates clear cut chances. Just can't decide. Maybe he would be better as AMC-may reduce the pressure on him to score goals all the time, and he may play better as a result. I don't know

When left to his natural game, Rooney drops deep into an AMC position, and I reckon that's the better side of him. As a goalscorer, an out and out striker, Rooney is very good. As a creator, he is world-class. Dropping deep, roving into space, using his vision, passing ability and stamina to harry midfielders gives you an outlet where he can express all of his best talents. As an out and out striker you're limiting him. As a deep-lying striker, he can do more than just score, and unleashed his creative potential.

He should not drop him he's only not scoring allot!!!He's working hard,assisting...
A lot is probably an exaggeration.:p
But he has been setting up a lot of goals to be fair to him, I think he's only 2 assists behind Nani.

Rooney is a 10, first and foremost. He, and united play better when he plays there, he may not get the goals but the whole side ticks. But he needs to have MC who can drive from deep, otherwise, like today he drops too far back to get possession. its no suprise that when fletcher or anderson are not in the middle of the park he struggles

Last edited:
Just to think that if United could effectively turn Rooney into a midfielder, as he is capable, this could be our line up

---------Berbatov ----------Hernandez-------------

Nani------------------------Rooney--------------------------------Valencia

:O

When left to his natural game, Rooney drops deep into an AMC position, and I reckon that's the better side of him. As a goalscorer, an out and out striker, Rooney is very good. As a creator, he is world-class. Dropping deep, roving into space, using his vision, passing ability and stamina to harry midfielders gives you an outlet where he can express all of his best talents. As an out and out striker you're limiting him. As a deep-lying striker, he can do more than just score, and unleashed his creative potential.

Agreed, the most complete of complete forwards there is.

Rooney is a 10, first and foremost. He, and united play better when he plays there, he may not get the glas but the whole side ticks. But needs to have MC who can drive from deep, otherwise, liek today he drops too far back to get possession. its no suprise that when fletcher or anderson are not in the middle of the park he struggles

Fair point. Sometimes I think the flack he gets sometimes is a bit unwarranted (as you stated about Fletcher and Anderson), as he needs the supply to do what he does best-the unexpected. Without him, Man Utd would lose a lot of creativity. Even the best players suffer without the supply. But as he's shown on more than one occassion, where-ever he plays, he works his absolute socks off. But that could be his downfall at some point. I do worry he'll burn himself out. But it just shows how passionatte he is about playing for the club, and country. And thats why I love the guy so much (even if he does play for rival club)

Just to think that if United could effectively turn Rooney into a midfielder, as he is capable, this could be our line up

---------Berbatov ----------Hernandez-------------

Nani------------------------Rooney--------------------------------Valencia

:O
Seeing as we normally play with two attacking fullbacks we'd probably get brutally exposed on the counter.:$

Agree entirely. For me, Rooney's touch hasn't looked as good as it normally does for a while now, but he is still contributing to the team and it is clearly his best position. Berbatov has games where he doesn't get involved enough and he can't replicate what Rooney does. The rotation should be between Berbatov and Hernandez in my opinion.

Seeing as we normally play with two attacking fullbacks we'd probably get brutally exposed on the counter.:$

I have a feeling Sir Alex could make Evra and Rafael stick in defence if he wanted :p

Fair point. Sometimes I think the flack he gets sometimes is a bit unwarranted (as you stated about Fletcher and Anderson), as he needs the supply to do what he does best-the unexpected. Without him, Man Utd would lose a lot of creativity. Even the best players suffer without the supply. But as he's shown on more than one occassion, where-ever he plays, he works his absolute socks off. But that could be his downfall at some point. I do worry he'll burn himself out. But it just shows how passionatte he is about playing for the club, and country. And thats why I love the guy so much (even if he does play for rival club)
I do worry about the burnout, which is why im so glad that Dimi and Hernandez are firing, becuase he will need to be rested at some point. Like you say doesnt matter how good you are if you havent got the ball you can't anything, even with nani etc there is still too much focus round him, especially and giggs and scholes have next season left, probably as their last. really want a driving/creative MC brought in over the summer.

I would call him an AMC/FC playing right in the space between, thats where you want him picking the ball up