Man Utd v West Brom

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 189
  • Views Views 10K
I agree kinda, I'd rather have Tom Cleverley at United and Gibbo on loan.

his job is to keep possession ticking over. and he only misplaced 3 passes all game

How many passes did he attempt and many CB's dont miss many passes but it doesn't meant they were helping the team in attack.

Maybe its just that I haven't liked him ever.

And I don't like Busquets as well but he is better defensively and much better at his positioning.

Now Chelsea losing their match will improve my mood a lot.

Last edited:
i stand by everything i said. West Brom are a yoyo club which United should be hammering rather easily. Lets not forgot both of there goals where mistakes by utd, rather the WBA class. This shows how bad of a state utd are in rather then how good WBA are.

But I heard United always start off slowly. Nothing is wrong, surely.

But I heard United always start off slowly. Nothing is wrong, surely.

We do always start slowly but we dont normally lose leads like this, at the start or end of the season. Normally we struggle to create at the start, not get 2-0, 3-1 or whatever, look really good then Let a lead slip, that is the difference, i would of muched prefered a 0-0 today then a 2-2 like this.

So you are in agreement that United seem weaker this season?

You might have your work cut out, trying to convince madsheep2001.

How many passes did he attempt and many CB's dont miss many passes but it doesn't meant they were helping the team in attack.

Maybe its just that I haven't liked him ever.

And I don't like Busquets as well but he is better defensively and much better at his positioning.

Now Chelsea losing their match will improve my mood a lot.
actually they were helping the side in buildin attack, and berbatov should have scored from one of them:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/chalkboards/6zGwx3X8Z73GEZ01L9J8

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

convince me of what?

We do seem weaker, it is clear for all to see, If he cant see that, then maybe he should try and explain why not????

I just think whilst we always start slow, we dont normally lose leads and let in goals like this.

convince me of what?

That United are in fact weaker this season. You seem to be quite defensive about this in past posts, and your general reasoning seems to be: "We always start slow."

So I thought I would get Scott's thoughts on the situation, and it seems he disagrees, and thinks that this season is an even slower start than normal.

The next logical step then, is for me to ask if you agree now, or whether you still believe United are just having a typical start to a season. So, what do you think after today's performance?

We do seem weaker, it is clear for all to see, If he cant see that, then maybe he should try and explain why not????

I just think whilst we always start slow, we dont normally lose leads and let in goals like this.
i dont know if we're weaker as a side, we've been better going forwards in general play than this point last year. but then we are conceded way too much, especially we've often billed ourselves as a side with a mean defence. perhaps more worryingly they are coming from individual mistakes rather than from any particular tactical play, though giggs injury didnt help today. Good as we might be 2nd half of the season, we are starting to leave ourselves no room for error.

This is really odd. Yes United do usually start slowly although I have never seen them as shaky at the back, even with Ferdinand and Vidic playing. As wonderful as it is to see, it is a shame to see the likes of Liverpool and United not the forces that they were.

That United are in fact weaker this season. You seem to be quite defensive about this in past posts, and your general reasoning seems to be: "We always start slow."

So I thought I would get Scott's thoughts on the situation, and it seems he disagrees, and thinks that this season is an even slower start than normal.

The next logical step then, is for me to ask if you agree now, or whether you still believe United are just having a typical start to a season. So, what do you think after today's performance?
not really defensive, i just dont jump on something straight away, ie not after 4-5 games

actually they were helping the side in buildin attack, and berbatov should have scored from one of them:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/chalkboards/6zGwx3X8Z73GEZ01L9J8

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

Gibson didn't miss a single pass and had a better pass to minutes played ratio and yet is slated. Personally, I think players like Carrick should be making close to 70 passes a game against weaker sides. After looking at the chalkboard I also saw that Carrick attempted only 2 tackles and won just 1.

And someone mentioned passed are criticized but I love passers and think Xavi is a god,
Carrick was hyped up to be the best passer in England but I guess the ball retaining player is not England's strength.

Last edited:
i dont know if we're weaker as a side, we've been better going forwards in general play than this point last year. but then we are conceded way too much, especially we've often billed ourselves as a side with a mean defence. perhaps more worryingly they are coming from individual mistakes rather than from any particular tactical play, though giggs injury didnt help today. Good as we might be 2nd half of the season, we are starting to leave ourselves no room for error.

The thing is, our striker force cant get any better as the season goes on, we are averaging over 2 goals a game. so we cant expect that to really improve. As i said i think performance have been a lot worse, I would much rather of drawn this game 0-0 then 2-2. Also when have you know a manchester united side to through away a 2-0 goal lead against a newly promoted side.

Another unfortunate thing from United's point of view, is that Rooney doesn't look like scoring 30+ goals this season, and I can't see anyone else doing that for you.

I would say that Vidic seems relatively solid. It's his partners which have been letting him down recently. Ferdinand now is fresh back from injury, so he might take a while to pick up, and until recently, Evans, who turned out to be a liability on a couple of occasions.

With Nani pushed out on the right, in Valencia's absence, and his natural position, you are now lacking left-sided players, especially with Giggs out injured after today's events.

Being 7 points behind Chelsea (provided they won today) is not a good position to be in, regardless of a slow start though.

Another unfortunate thing from United's point of view, is that Rooney doesn't look like scoring 30+ goals this season, and I can't see anyone else doing that for you.

I would say that Vidic seems relatively solid. It's his partners which have been letting him down recently. Ferdinand now is fresh back from injury, so he might take a while to pick up, and until recently, Evans, who turned out to be a liability on a couple of occasions.

With Nani pushed out on the right, in Valencia's absence, and his natural position, you are now lacking left-sided players, especially with Giggs out injured after today's events.

Being 7 points behind Chelsea (provided they won today) is not a good position to be in, regardless of a slow start though.

I think Berba will hit around 25 this year, which is a massive improvement on last season, so rooney shouldnt need to hit 30 goals for us to have a similar year to last year. Rio has looked solid since he came back. And i dont understand park not playing more.

This is really odd. Yes United do usually start slowly although I have never seen them as shaky at the back, even with Ferdinand and Vidic playing. As wonderful as it is to see, it is a shame to see the likes of Liverpool and United not the forces that they were.

Not a shame for me, it makes it more exciting League. The gap in shortening between the smaller clubs and bigger clubs in terms of quality. Di Matteo is the man at the moment, certainly proving himself to be no mug in the management business.

Fair enough if Rio has looked solid. I haven't really watched him, but I assumed he had a shaky return, having been out for such a long period.

Where are your defensive problems coming from then? Vidic has been good, from what I've seen and heard. Not enough cover in midfield?

I also can't see Berbatov hitting 25 goals really. He'll have a day where he'll score 2-3, and then it'll be a couple of weeks before he scores again. He's not a consistent goal scorer.

Don't get me wrong, he'll chip in with assists and link-up play in between. I still miss Dimitar, but he is a *******.

I think Berba will hit around 25 this year, which is a massive improvement on last season, so rooney shouldnt need to hit 30 goals for us to have a similar year to last year. Rio has looked solid since he came back. And i dont understand park not playing more.

I doubt Berba would be scoring that much. but we have players who are capable of scoring.

Berba, Rooney, Chicharito, Owen, Nani.

Last season we didnt have any striker to take burden off rooney, now we have in Berba, Chicharito and Nani.

We had excellent defensive record for 3-4 season, which was the reason we won the league, This season i dont know what is wrong with our defense.

Back