Mantorras77's Tactic Testing League

Just a quick update everyone....testing has pretty much come to a complete stand still. Hence why nothing really has been tested in the last few days. The results we get from our tests are so random and too unreliable for our liking on this current version of the game.

You visit the threads of some of these great tactic creators and you see some pretty amazing results. You then try to replicate on this test and you become boggled on how you could achieve such a different result. Almost leaves you gutted. It's the perfect time to take a break.

Patch 14.3 will include a lot of fixes so it will keep tactic creators busy. We have some ideas in store for testing in patch 14.3. Including position based attributes which will get us closer to resembling a realistic personal game. I will say this though, if they don't fix the randomness issue then this thread is really all for nothing.

Great work though Mantorrass, the effort you put in to keep us FM fans enlightened is superb, Cheers.

Any ideas when 14.3 will be out???

Just a quick update everyone....testing has pretty much come to a complete stand still. Hence why nothing really has been tested in the last few days. The results we get from our tests are so random and too unreliable for our liking on this current version of the game.

You visit the threads of some of these great tactic creators and you see some pretty amazing results. You then try to replicate on this test and you become boggled on how you could achieve such a different result. Almost leaves you gutted. It's the perfect time to take a break.

Patch 14.3 will include a lot of fixes so it will keep tactic creators busy. We have some ideas in store for testing in patch 14.3. Including position based attributes which will get us closer to resembling a realistic personal game. I will say this though, if they don't fix the randomness issue then this thread is really all for nothing.

The attribute changes in the next version of the database will help improve the results. However, I wouldn't expect the randomness of the results to improve with this method of testing though. This years FM2014 is A LOT better than previous years because the opposition AI manager adapts their strategy dynamically during the game. You can't expect to just plug and play a tactic now and have it win everything, to succeed you need to analyse the opponents shape and weaknesses and exploit them. Scoring the opening goal changes everything as the opponent then has to attack you leaving more holes in their defence etc. So luck plays an important part of the result too, just like in real football...

The testing is still useful though at pointing the way to good tactics, so please keep it up.

Last edited:
Great work though Mantorrass, the effort you put in to keep us FM fans enlightened is superb, Cheers.

Any ideas when 14.3 will be out???

Last year it came out on February 28 so would expect around the same time frame this year.

The attribute changes in the next version of the database will help improve the results. However, I wouldn't expect the randomness of the results to improve with this method of testing though. This years FM2014 is A LOT better than previous years because the opposition AI manager adapts their strategy dynamically during the game. You can't expect to just plug and play a tactic now and have it win everything, to succeed you need to analyse the opponents shape and weaknesses and exploit them. Scoring the opening goal changes everything as the opponent then has to attack you leaving more holes in their defence etc. So luck plays an important part of the result too, just like in real football...

The testing is still useful though at pointing the way to good tactics, so please keep it up.

Thanks for the vote of confidence (H)

Here's the problem with the Randomness issue. If i'm testing the same tactic vs the exact same teams, coaches, formations and players two test season's in a row there's NO WAY I should finish with 90pts one test season and 50pts the other test season period! I could see maybe a 20 pts swing at the max and blame in on bad luck but 40pts!!??? No way!!!

Why does the "fulcrum-rainmaker" have 91 pts in the OP screenshot and then 69pts in the OP table? Did you change the tests versions?

i asked same question :)

test database was changed in some place they said.

Why does the "fulcrum-rainmaker" have 91 pts in the OP screenshot and then 69pts in the OP table? Did you change the tests versions?

You tried version 2 yet? It's ridiculous. Best tactic I've used. It's over on the community.sigames.com forum. :)

You tried version 2 yet? It's ridiculous. Best tactic I've used. It's over on the community.sigames.com forum. :)

Depends what you've used until now ;)
5th place with norwich first season, no transfers, mighty impressive I must say, but I've done better, not on this patch I admit, but the 14.1.4 with 3-4-2-1-0.tac
Thing is, the latest patch sucks, that's why i reverted back to 14.1.4 for the second time.

Last edited:
Last year it came out on February 28 so would expect around the same time frame this year.

Thanks for the vote of confidence (H)

Here's the problem with the Randomness issue. If i'm testing the same tactic vs the exact same teams, coaches, formations and players two test season's in a row there's NO WAY I should finish with 90pts one test season and 50pts the other test season period! I could see maybe a 20 pts swing at the max and blame in on bad luck but 40pts!!??? No way!!!

A suggestion to help improve the next (final) round of testing.

Use IGE to set team morale to superb before every game.

I believe a lot of the variance in results is due to the morale of the team dropping putting the team into a vicious circle of results. Morale is a factor that is not important to tactic testing and is just complicating the results, so take it out of the equation entirely.

In the real game it's not so pronounced as we have tools like team talks / praising players that can help improve morale and reverse the bad results. This isn't part of the tactic testing however.

Along with the attribute changes I think this may help improve the tactic testing league a lot.

Last edited:

Wow thought id give this a try and you couldnt be more right! Absolutely fantastic tactic as long as you have the right players for the roles!

I know you mentioned a break Mantorras but testing Mr Houghs Beast is Back AND Rainmaker & Silk and Steel V2's would be great! ��

5th place with norwich first season, no transfers, mighty impressive I must say, but I've done better, not on this patch I admit, but the 14.1.4 with 3-4-2-1-0.tac
Thing is, the latest patch sucks, that's why i reverted back to 14.1.4 for the second time.

How do you revert back to previous patches?

Yeah it does, but even so, 5th place with Norwich with the team they have and no transfers is pretty incredible. Means you finished above one of: Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Utd, Man City - who all have really good teams on this game.

i need a 4-1-2-1-2 diamond with 2 wings........any suggestion?

I apologise if this has been asked a lot, but mantorras, in your experience testing all of these tactics, which is the most reliable plug and play "no messing around" tactic out of all of those you've tested? Especially for weaker members of a division and lower league teams?

I apologise if this has been asked a lot, but mantorras, in your experience testing all of these tactics, which is the most reliable plug and play "no messing around" tactic out of all of those you've tested? Especially for weaker members of a division and lower league teams?

you're not going to like this answer but at this point bro, I would just look at the Top 5 from the multilpe 14.2 standings and plug away until you find one that works with your team.

I personally am not plugging away on 14.2 anymore. I still play a personal online save with a buddy of mine (World League Challenge - started in division 10) on 14.2 but haven't used any of the tested tactics. I was using The Machine from Madrid - High Speed Football which got me back-to-back promotions using Seattle but then in season 3 I failed to get promoted so I gave up on the tactic and on the team and am now coaching Colon (Argentina) in the same division. This time i'm using a tactic my buddy created himself which has gotten him 3 straight promotions including 2 division winners using Kaiserslautern. It's a 5-3-2 using a Libero. I figure if you can't beat him, join him! lolol If anyone is interested in trying it out, let me know and i'll post it on here.