Martin O'Neill Resigns

• Thread starter Thread starter Billy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 204
  • Views Views 14K
he hasent done nothing after leaving lazio sven just intrested in a big pay check now
Lets be realistic, The clubs hes been at since Lazio, would be very hard to win something with, for example

England- Lets be realistic, we are not close to winning everything, he did a good job with us getting us to the quarters of everything, which is about where we belong

Man City- Not really gonna exactly win anything, the squad when he was manager wasnt very strong, but he did sign some very good players and he did the double over Man Utd

Mexico- This was a slight fail, though he did have a 50 percent win ratio

Ivory Coast- Only took this job as a favour to a friend, not a bad record, almost got them out of the so called "group of death"

Martin - you're wayyyyyyyyyy to late to be in with a shout for the Liverpool job - what are you thinking ?
Having to deal with a miserely board I expect - well you would have had the same problem had you joined us ! (H)

Gutted, will be posting my 13 year C.V of Champ Manager and Footy Manager to Mr.Lerner! Can't blame O'neill if he wasnt going to be given funds or he didn't agree with Lerner on player valuations. He has done great over the 4 seasons although signings have been mixed. Good recruits in Young,Milner,Freidel,Dunne but too many overpriced, under-performing players bought....imo Cuellar(ok at c.b though) Petrov,Heskey,Harewood,Salifou,Beye,Shorey,Davies(9million). Everyone knows what We have been missing for the last 5 years at least.....a real goalscorer and/or a creative spark like Modric or the other Croatian who I forget who spurs bought for a bargain price.

What worries me is the options available to us....Sven, Curbishley, Bradley etc Wouldn't have been so bad if we had M Hughes

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

yer agreed, him or bob bradley. i think he deserves a shot at a big team and villa seems to fit the bill.

Does he have enough English knowledge and could he attract decent European players??? Not sure, yet Lerner would be sees as liking this option for the obvious

Sven has won more trophies though, why would you rather have bilic? what about him
sven lives for the paycheck. weve had this argument before the last time sven was linked with a jb. he will demand a high wage, which lerner is notgoing to pay. bilic is a great man manager who can get villa playing some good football. sven will play some ultra conservative ugly stuff.

The thing is that Lerner's trying to keep the club in balance. He's been losing money every single season because of the amount he had given O'Neill to spend. Yes he's worth a little over a billion but he can't continue losing money and be expected to be able to run the club. Lerner's a huge fan of Villa and is thinking about the future, which is why he has to sell to get the average but big wage players off the wage bill. No one makes more than 65k a week and that's Ashley Young as the highest earner, but players like Sidwell who don't play make about 50k a week, Reo-Coker is somewhere around there, Heskey makes 60k a week. Finances are a big thing right now. Villa had an operating loss of I believe 47 million last year.

Heard this from a Villa friend of mine.

My word, asked about this on here the other day. Wasn't expecting to see him walk over the Milner money. Didn't realise Villa were that skint.

My word, asked about this on here the other day. Wasn't expecting to see him walk over the Milner money. Didn't realise Villa were that skint.
from everything ive looked up so far, and from what godcubed and jack fulham have posted, villa's finances are pretty dire, and lerner is no roman

Putting the wages into perspective like that, it's horrific. I admit to us not being anywhere near as good as them, but, our backroom staff have spent the last week attempting to get someone down from demanding €48k a week. Villa's (as you just stated) benchwarmers are on more than that. I would actuallly like to see their wage bill in comparison to other teams. If it is in such a bad state then, I can't see Sven coming at all. He needs a big wage for himself let alone a big transfer budget, and for a man that hasn't won anything since his Lazio days, is frankly not worth it.

I never saw this one coming as others mentioned looks like Milner will be leaving and possibly Young aswell. It`s a shame he is a great manager would be a good candidate for the England job.

I reckon Ashley Young is on his way to Spurs, they've been linked with him and I doubt O'Neill would walk out over the Milner deal alone as he has been going all summer. Probably not getting enough funds from the sales to reinvest in new faces too.

I don't think Villa's finances are that bad really, just not where Lerner wants them to be. He wants to offload the big earners who are sitting on the bench. I guess that's bad management for O'Neill.

from everything ive looked up so far, and from what godcubed and jack fulham have posted, villa's finances are pretty dire, and lerner is no roman

The story going round April/May was that Lerner had called 'stop' to any attempts to get into the CL and that he wanted to peg the club around mid-table with the odd Europa League run. Spurs were in the same position but got CL football - that's why they're now sniffing around the Olympic stadium because that'll save them money which they can use to try and maintain 'Arry's very expensive squad.

Seems like everyone's at a tipping point. Here's hoping most of us make it through to the other side. Mancs, Scousers, Brummies, Cockneys etc - the lot of us need to be asking questions about what's going on with the money in football just now.

Wenger did a decent interview with the Obsever this weekend. He was saying that the Premier League had a big decision about which path to follow coming up and that currently it was in danger of doing nothing well - neither being the 'best' league in the world nor being somewhere which helped the national game.

Anyways, good luck to Villa in finding someone of decent quality as a replacement. Wonder if O'Neill will give his side of the story - got to be more to it then him not able to live within his means. You've got to wonder if he was promised one thing and then something else happened.

If its stable finances Villa are after, then there is not a hope in **** Sven will be appointed. Yes his CV is impressive but he is by an large, a ''money manager''. Even when he was successful, he did his best at trying to drive a club into the ground; anyone remember him almost driving Lazio into extinction...

this is just complete speculation on my part, but didnt he once take about a year out of the game because his wife fell ill? maybe its happened again. surely he wouldnt resign now when milner's move has been on the cards now for a long time?

See, when Lerner said that O'Neill would have to adopt a "sell-to-buy" policy, I wasn't worried. That's just being financially prudent. When he starts skimming the top off transfer money, that's too far. Not happy with him at the minute.

Gutted, will be posting my 13 year C.V of Champ Manager and Footy Manager to Mr.Lerner! Can't blame O'neill if he wasnt going to be given funds or he didn't agree with Lerner on player valuations. He has done great over the 4 seasons although signings have been mixed. Good recruits in Young,Milner,Freidel,Dunne but too many overpriced, under-performing players bought....imo Cuellar(ok at c.b though) Petrov,Heskey,Harewood,Salifou,Beye,Shorey,Davies(9million). Everyone knows what We have been missing for the last 5 years at least.....a real goalscorer and/or a creative spark like Modric or the other Croatian who I forget who spurs bought for a bargain price.

What worries me is the options available to us....Sven, Curbishley, Bradley etc Wouldn't have been so bad if we had M Hughes

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

Does he have enough English knowledge and could he attract decent European players??? Not sure, yet Lerner would be sees as liking this option for the obvious

i think people know who he is especialy after the world cup and confedirations cup. plus his son is a pretty decent player and proberly could buy him for a quarter of the price they could get for milner.

I blame Emile Heskey. O'Neill probably got so fed up with his 'scoring' record he left ;)

Do people think O'Neill will stay in football? Or retire?

I blame Emile Heskey. O'Neill probably got so fed up with his 'scoring' record he left ;)

Do people think O'Neill will stay in football? Or retire?

stay he ant that old is he?

Back