Martin O'Neill Resigns

• Thread starter Thread starter Billy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 204
  • Views Views 14K
I reckon we should sack Mike Phelan and make Martin O'neill assistant now that he has left Villa.

o'neill would be a good enough candidate to succeed red chops.

as much as i like o'neill, he has become a bit of a 'moaner'. He neither buys cheap young talent, and tries to build them up, despite being on a tight budget, or challenges the board and commands the fans respect by trying to build on the existing team despite the lack of funds, like benitez did at liverpool. O'neill is a good manager, i don't doubt that, but he needs to pick a direction. Either become a man who builds from the cheap youngsters, or become like fergie, imposing enough to scare the board into playing it his way. By doing this out of the blue, he hasnt really given the fans a chance to rally behind him and demand money from lerner. He has managed to look a bit moody, and by just throwing in the towel as he is losing his best players, has lost my respect. If i supported villa, i would have liked him to carry on and challenge the board room.

More rumours, sigh, but it's being suggested that after MON reluctantly agreed to the sale of Milner, the board have now agreed to sell Young without his consent (apparently to Spurs.) I have no idea how true this is, but there's been a few murmourings -- Talksport for one.

Huge loss for Villa, I'm looking further ahead but how badly do you think this will affect their season?

More rumours, sigh, but it's being suggested that after MON reluctantly agreed to the sale of Milner, the board have now agreed to sell Young without his consent (apparently to Spurs.) I have no idea how true this is, but there's been a few murmourings -- Talksport for one.

There were rumours earlier in the year that he'd been told that Young would stay if Milner was sold. Just as he was told Milner would stay if Barry were sold. If that's true, then him walking out is the right reaction for a manager who no longer has faith in his chairman's word.

Media is very pro-MON though, so no idea how true it is. Graham Taylor was saying tonight (so obviously not someone who is stirring the pot for the **** of it) that there were problems behind the scenes behind MON and board.

My personal view is he left due to him missing out on McGeady, Villa wouldn't match Celtic's 9.5m and he had been told they could go for him with the sale of Milner. MON, Celtic need someone to oversee Lennon and we miss you, pretty please :(?

Don't think it'll be all doom and gloom, with the sale of Milner there's gonna be a bit of cash to spend on a gaffer is there not?

Yeah I think you will be lucky to get top half this season.

I think it all hinges on two things: who we get as a replacement for MON, and how much of the money we get from Milner goes back into the kitty.

If we get someone like Bilic quickly, he'd need to make his mark on the team straight away considering the start of the season date. Hopefully, unlike MON, our new manager will A) Play more than 15 players a season and B) Buy players from outside Britain.

To finance this, of course, we need some cash from the Milner deal. We're blessed with two superb wingers in Downing and Young, with Albrighton looking a seriously good prospect, so it won't hurt us as much in that area, but we -need- a central midfielder.

Still, though, thanks for the memories, MON.

Thanks for the win against Man Utd at last.
Thanks for the top 6 finishes and the top 4 challenges.
Thanks for the cup runs last season and the days out at Wembley.
Thanks for the touchline war-dances during games.

Good luck Martin. I hope he looks back on his time at Villa Park fondly.

crazy timing , he should have sorted it out with chairman how much percentage of incoming tranfer money he would get to spend. If he was expecting 100% then he is wrong, not even fergie got 100% of Ronaldo £80m to spend, In todays financial market he should reasonably expect 75% to spend.

Anyway if he resigned much earlier he would have got the Anfield job (and Mark Hughes for the Villa job), where does he go from here, cant see none of the big 5 or 6 clubs going for him. No doubt he is a top manager with strong beliefs, and things happen at clubs behind closed door he wasnt happy with.

But where does he go from here, Maybe England, would be a great choice for me, although i suspect he loves the day to day envolvement of club football.

why? lerner isnt roman or the sheik. he hasnt got an unlimited amount of money. we should wait for all the fact before slagging people off
Yeah, I hate it when people blame someone without the facts. He's better than the Glazers or Gillett and Hicks, at least he can keep the club out of debt. Sorry for bringing up a kind of old thread, by the way.

Yeah, I hate it when people blame someone without the facts. He's better than the Glazers or Gillett and Hicks, at least he can keep the club out of debt. Sorry for bringing up a kind of old thread, by the way.

But, the facts, say they are £70m in dept. So he is no golden boy.

I think Villa will struggle to replace MON with someone with similar experience.

But, the facts, say they are £70m in dept. So he is no golden boy.

I think Villa will struggle to replace MON with someone with similar experience.
Well, on FM they aren't, and FM is my best debt source :P. Although apparently they have £49.5m debt which they own to Lerner, but that isn't to the bank. He just gave them money for a interest, which they needed. Click here if you want to know more.

Back