Mr Langvatn's Tactic Thread (Updated for 13.3.3)

any of those tactics use 4 defenders, 2 DM, 1 CM, 2 AM and 1 ST?
or which of them don't use wingers?
I don't think Mr.L has made a tactic like that. I have been wondering about making a 4-1-2-1-2 Wide Diamond using Mr.L's tactic setups...Not sure if that'll work but I can try!

Last edited:
I have done all i could but I keep losing a lot of games. Man Management, Motivation, morale, everything is high, but i keep losing with the classic rock 4141. Plerase someone help?

sadly but true ,i never had luck with 4141 classic rock, i conclude this after get draw from intermilan at home(i manage milan).
i thought mr L has confirm on the OP that the best home tactic is 4-5-1 triple tweak classic, and the away is 442 triple tweak classic.you cant get wrong with that.i've test it with newcastle and sheffield weds(media prediction 20th,but iam sitting at the top with 19 points away ).
however when you had a home match,i always set team traing to defensive positioning(to avoid opponent's counter attack)
and when at away set it to attacking movement-always set 'em at least 3 days before match day

Last edited:
toni dookie

Which one is correct? 4-4-2 home, 4-5-1 away or 4-4-2 away, 4-5-1 home, because you said it twice with different set up. :)

Can you give us a screens of yours set pieces, and if have anything more to add, please share ?!

Last edited:
I think Mr.L found that 4-4-2 had better result than 4-5-1 did at away games.

yea,if im not wrong to said it before.it is 451 triple tweak at home and 442 triple tweak at away.

im afraid can't upload my set piece right now,my internet connection weren't so great atm,you can do it ,it so easy,aim to near post,and swap your forward which may set to "go forward" into "attacking near post",your striker has to be a target man obviously.

I'm sick of loading the game every time i can't win for 5 games or so. I used all the advices and still nothing works.

I'm sick of loading the game every time i can't win for 5 games or so. I used all the advices and still nothing works.
make sure your cm have good 'off the ball' stat and dont change the player every game.i only change 1 or 2 player in every game.

Any diamond 4-4-2 here?
wide diamond? Well, I used Mr.L tactic setup and moved around to make a 4-4-2 wide diamond...but I do not know if it is good because I need to test it. I'm feeling really reluctant sharing it because I don't want to waste anyone time if it turns out to be bad or inefficient.

edit: I need to know what is a good way to test. I read somewhere that one used Mr.L test template. I'd like to get my hand on that, somehow.

Last edited:
Hmm yeah right, running all the way.
You don't try and make money on someone elses product, it comes across as conning and to be honest you know this yourself Mr. Langvatn. Same amount of people would come to this forum whether or not Mr. Langvatn is here after all he is not the inventor of soccer/football manager, someone else would be hyped . Good tactics especially the late ones developed by Malte & Wa4nker. Mr.Langvatn i'm not trying to put you down, but I totally dislike your money making attempt its not ethical. Enough said about the subject by me. Ps. I have read the whole thread, thats amazing stuff and stories

wide diamond? Well, I used Mr.L tactic setup and moved around to make a 4-4-2 wide diamond...but I do not know if it is good because I need to test it. I'm feeling really reluctant sharing it because I don't want to waste anyone time if it turns out to be bad or inefficient.

edit: I need to know what is a good way to test. I read somewhere that one used Mr.L test template. I'd like to get my hand on that, somehow.
actually i once tried to tweak it,mate.just one single player which is my striker and it's not working very well,so i learn my lesson,not to tweak any particular moves,except the set piece,simply cause it didn't ruin any scheme ,any player on the pitch has a role somekind a puzzle that if you change one of them ,it possibly could destroy the entire plan,it just in my experience however.:$

I tweaked Rock into a 3412 that worked well on my long term save (Crystal Palace)...

View attachment 400966
The home leg against Bayern I won 6-1 and went on to win the Treble.

Also worked on a Shamrock Rovers save but no screenshot of that

Hi everyone,

Does any of you running fm 13 with the latest up to date transfers and right teams in right league etc?

And were kind i find these database if so?

ciao

I tweaked Rock into a 3412 that worked well on my long term save (Crystal Palace)...

View attachment 541904
The home leg against Bayern I won 6-1 and went on to win the Treble.

Also worked on a Shamrock Rovers save but no screenshot of that

Nice to see that you still is playing :) I'm currently installing FM2013 once again.. going to start playing again after my break.

I'm trying to create a narrow 4-2-2-0-2 tactic. Can anyone provide me some tactical insight into tempo and width? I'm having trouble deciding. I'd like to have a touch of possession but I am not trying to create a 60% possession. 53-57% possession is good to me. But I don't want to lose that attacking touch. My initial thought is that quick tempo is better for attacking while slower tempo is better for possession (but I look at 4-5-1 tripletweak, has slow tempo that attack pretty well?) So I am little confused here. Now width, because I am creating a narrow formation, does this mean I need to stretch out my width? Majority of successful tactics have narrow width, I have yet literally to see any tactics with wide width. Maybe high-end notch on narrow side or somewhere around normal width?

Also, is it recommended to tick TM/Plymker with this formation?

Last edited:
I'm trying to create a narrow 4-2-2-0-2 tactic. Can anyone provide me some tactical insight into tempo and width? I'm having trouble deciding. I'd like to have a touch of possession but I am not trying to create a 60% possession. 53-57% possession is good to me. But I don't want to lose that attacking touch. My initial thought is that quick tempo is better for attacking while slower tempo is better for possession (but I look at 4-5-1 tripletweak, has slow tempo that attack pretty well?) So I am little confused here. Now width, because I am creating a narrow formation, does this mean I need to stretch out my width? Majority of successful tactics have narrow width, I have yet literally to see any tactics with wide width. Maybe high-end notch on narrow side or somewhere around normal width?

Also, is it recommended to tick TM/Plymker with this formation?

Well since almost every tactic is arranged with short passing styles it also dictates that a narrow width will be more suited (shorter distance between players). If you are going for a wide width it may be better with a more direct approach (longer distances between players).

Regarding the tempo. If you are going for short passing style it's better with a less faster tempo, it takes skill to complete short passes with a fast pace (think barca, real etc...). However, fast tempo goes well with a more direct passing style.

I my self prefer short passing, narrow width and a rather slowish tempo.. just decrease the time wasting a lot if you are going for a slow tempo.

And to answer your question regarding if you have to stretch your formation, the answer is no. Think of you passing style instead.. short passing -> less width and vice versa.

Regarding TM/Playmaker it's trial and error, may work, may not work.. It depends on the individual players you got in your squad.

Thats my cup of tea.. you might think otherwise, but thats how i usually create my tactics.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Malte, great post there! It helped a lot for me! :D I have another question. If I tick all players' mentality, then changing counter/standard/attacking (etc..) doesn't really do anything? How does mentality affect their play exactly? a DM with maximum mentality does not help defend?

I think this is a complicated one to tinker around with...I don't have a grasp with this mentality thing. It sure takes a lot of time to make a tactic I'd be satisfied with, lol. :)

Malte, great post there! It helped a lot for me! :D I have another question. If I tick all players' mentality, then changing counter/standard/attacking (etc..) doesn't really do anything? How does mentality affect their play exactly? a DM with maximum mentality does not help defend?

I think this is a complicated one to tinker around with...I don't have a grasp with this mentality thing. It sure takes a lot of time to make a tactic I'd be satisfied with, lol. :)

I believe that mentality is a setting witch indicates how much of a risk the player will take to i.e win the ball back, pass the riskier pass.. the more mentality the more risk.. im not such a hard believer of that mentality adjusts the position anymore.. as you can see in MrLangvatns and my tweaks, almost every one is on offensive mentality, even the DMC's... they still help to cover up in the defence.. it has to do with RWB (run with ball) and RFW (run forward) settings.. so imo the mentality dictates how much of a risktaker the player will be :)

This topic has about 1000000000 theories so i would advice you to read the already existing threads on here :) Otherwise we will go offtopic hehe...

have a nice day.