Striker goal drought

First of all: Very good tactic

It's consistant and really grind out some nice results. I'm sitting in a comfortable 3rd in Premier League with my Newcastle team in the middle of November, first season.

A few issues, though:

1. It seems that the more fluid the tactic has gotten, the less effective it has become. I'm still grinding out 1-0 wins, but the goal scoring opportunities is severely reduced and we are playing very much worse than in the beginning of the season. No CCC's in the last four matches. I just lost the first game of the season (quite a few draws, though) being outplayed by West Ham at home. Do I have to do something to shake things up or is this just a thing that's bound to happen for an overperforming team?

2. My striker (Damiao) has zero goals! He has 4-5 shots per game, but they are never featured in the highlights of the match, so I figure his chances can't be that huge. It may be down to settling problems, but you seem to have him scoring for fun. What to do about this?

I have a retrained Ben Arfa in ML and Salvio in MR. Sometimes Marveaux in ML and Ben Arfa in MR. My midfield is Tiot? (D), Cabaye or Dos Santos (S) and Sissoko or Kalaba (A).

Thanks in advance for any help.

First of all: Very good tactic

It's consistant and really grind out some nice results. I'm sitting in a comfortable 3rd in Premier League with my Newcastle team in the middle of November, first season.

A few issues, though:

1. It seems that the more fluid the tactic has gotten, the less effective it has become. I'm still grinding out 1-0 wins, but the goal scoring opportunities is severely reduced and we are playing very much worse than in the beginning of the season. No CCC's in the last four matches. I just lost the first game of the season (quite a few draws, though) being outplayed by West Ham at home. Do I have to do something to shake things up or is this just a thing that's bound to happen for an overperforming team?

2. My striker (Damiao) has zero goals! He has 4-5 shots per game, but they are never featured in the highlights of the match, so I figure his chances can't be that huge. It may be down to settling problems, but you seem to have him scoring for fun. What to do about this?

I have a retrained Ben Arfa in ML and Salvio in MR. Sometimes Marveaux in ML and Ben Arfa in MR. My midfield is Tiot? (D), Cabaye or Dos Santos (S) and Sissoko or Kalaba (A).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi mate, thanks for the feedback.

1. Look at your teams performance scores, if players are under performing, then you need to do something to fix this, I usually talk to players individually, if this doesnt help disciplining them might. Other reasons might be player morale, changing captain or squad status, and blocking transfers to bigger teams etc, may upset a players morale, this can cause performance issues also.
and yes, teams will play differently against teams that are performing well as they will look to play more defensive and try to stop you scoring, it is probably a good idea at this point to turn match prep over to attacking movement I have done this now in my own save and have had a 57 match unbeaten run.

2. same as 1 in terms of performance issues, do you have another striker in contention for the spot, if my striker hasnt scored by the 60 minute mark i usually substitute them and they finish with under 6.4 rating, giving me the opportunity to discipline them.

the players you have mentioned are good enough, I must admit though I bought victor wanyama for dmc and ended up sticking him in the MC support role, he got 20 goals from that position in 1 season.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm so not enough into the man management part of this game (praising and criticizing players). Not nearly good enough with team talks either. Should probably look into that.

I'll change the match prep to attacking movement. After all 12 goals for and 5 against after 10 games does sort of merit that.

Will report back.

Once again thanks for your help.

I tried this tactic a few days ago and follow the OP. Seems didn't apply any OI. My Feyenoord team slip away from a great form to winless streak in February.
Is the OP changed recently? I might tried this again with OI. Tried almost every tactic in this forum and this one seems the best overall.

I tried this tactic a few days ago and follow the OP. Seems didn't apply any OI. My Feyenoord team slip away from a great form to winless streak in February.
Is the OP changed recently? I might tried this again with OI. Tried almost every tactic in this forum and this one seems the best overall.

The OP hasn't changed since I put up some results 4 days ago, prior to that I added the bit about opposition instructions the same day as I released the tactic mate.

My main problem is the "half-season syndrome". After 20 unbeaten run in the league with Feyenoord, suddenly turned into different team with draws and losses. I criticized the player (mainly the striker unable to score). Team meeting also doesn't help the morale and it drops to bottom. At this point, I tend to give up and start a new game.
Any tips on team meeting? Seems not much guide in the forum.
btw, I might try the "attacking movement" match prep above.

View attachment 459828
As before, thanks alot for the quality tactic which other tactics outside can't compare. May use "attacking movement" for home and easy matches and "defensive positioning" for away or hard matches.

This is one of my favorite tactics. However, I keep running into the same problem: Once it's completely fluid it seems to score a lot less goals. And usually by midseason it seems to become less effective and draw a ton, but I'm guessing this is match engine more than anything.

I havent seen the problem where it turns into draws, this is probably because the AI of the other teams sees you as more of a threat and lines up more defensively, attacking movement as match prep should help in these situations.

I havent seen the problem where it turns into draws, this is probably because the AI of the other teams sees you as more of a threat and lines up more defensively, attacking movement as match prep should help in these situations.

I actually changed my prep to attacking/defense movement and some goals began cropping up. I think I'm also going to train a counter version of the tactic next season, just for a change up.

I actually changed my prep to attacking/defense movement and some goals began cropping up. I think I'm also going to train a counter version of the tactic next season, just for a change up.

Let me know how it goes, have not tried counter with this shape as I don't feel it will work with the drop deeper and slower tempo
good luck though :)

Following different tweaks and change being tested I have been unable to find any that do make the tactic stronger,
I have noticed things which could be better however I think these are match engine issues which once fixed will improve the performance of teams using this tactic.

Also long shots on the central midfielders is a very strong attribute in the current match engine state, these can lead to tap ins for the striker and corners, which if set up correctly can be deemed as an exploit. Hope this helps

Another season with this tactic, and it's just as good. Another promotion, and my striker scored over 30 goals for the second season in a row. I still have problems coming back into a game if the other team scores two early. Also it' hard to keep the pressure up in 2nd half, and sometimes I can be up 4-0 and it ends 4-3. This is obviously not just the tactic, but I haven't found anything I can do to keep a huge lead, even though I "always" end up with the win.

View attachment 459423

I'm in november and my striker has now 91 goals in 85 league games (Almost two and a half seasons. He was also injured for four months!!). He never stops scoring!! :p

View attachment 459422

Last edited:
would this tactic be better with david silva on ML and yaya toure as the CM A, or silva as the CM A and yaya toure as the CM S, or yaya as the CM A and a new ML, or yaya CM S and a new ML?

thank you people

Another season with this tactic, and it's just as good. Another promotion, and my striker scored over 30 goals for the second season in a row. I still have problems coming back into a game if the other team scores two early. Also it' hard to keep the pressure up in 2nd half, and sometimes I can be up 4-0 and it ends 4-3. This is obviously not just the tactic, but I haven't found anything I can do to keep a huge lead, even though I "always" end up with the win.

View attachment 408346

I'm in november and my striker has now 91 goals in 85 league games (Almost two and a half seasons. He was also injured for four months!!). He never stops scoring!! :p

View attachment 408349
I follow other thread in this forum, put "counter" when >=2 goals up at 70 mins

View attachment 408346

View attachment 408349

This is mostly due to the team talks you give, if you say you are pleased at the 4-0 up your team will take the foot off the gas and not play aswell second half, you have to tell them going well, room for improvement, avoid complacency etc. Also keep an eye on player condition during matches I substitute anyone under 70%, also if im not doing well I substitute players with lower ratings.

Very nice record for the striker also, good job

would this tactic be better with david silva on ML and yaya toure as the CM A, or silva as the CM A and yaya toure as the CM S, or yaya as the CM A and a new ML, or yaya CM S and a new ML?

thank you people

play silva on ML, Man City have plenty quality for both CM roles in toure, rodwell fernandinho and nasri mate.

I follow other thread in this forum, put "counter" when >=2 goals up at 70 mins

This might work, but as before I have no idea to the success of "counter" with this shape or team instructions, it may lead to a flood of goals in the wrong end.

leandro damiao for 4m? D: always goes for 7mill for me :(

you have to be patient and I think more vigilant to get the best deals on players, one of my mates slags me off for not spending money in the game and being a cheap skate lol

It works though, I always finish higher than his teams :D