Old Firm

• Thread starter Thread starter Souty
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 533
  • Views Views 27K
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tbh, if we play like this we'll never win the title. I'm not that expectant tbh, especially after these two games. I'm just hoping we get enough money in from Europe, so we can buy some players next season.

Have to say it, well played Celtic, played much better football than us and deserved to win by such a clear margin, honestly cannot wait to see what Smith has to say about that.

Waiting for the moment when Chaz gets back from skiing and ses the score.

Watched the match Celtic played well Hooper and Commons were class and it was good to see Bartley play the full 90

Last edited:
Have to say it, well played Celtic, played much better football than us and deserved to win by such a clear margin, honestly cannot wait to see what Smith has to say about that.
I don't think Walter will say anything. I think there will just be a shotgun pointed at the head of Lafferty :P

Mulgrew had a good game (never seen it, but heard it on Real Radio Scotland).

Hooper with a double, Celtic outplayed Rangers, and a fantastic win.

As Hooper said, 1 game at a time, then Celtic can go far, and win the league.

Also, Ian (or Iain?) Brines had a good game, and nothing to be said about this conspiracy :P

Too Easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How can you say they are by far the better team.

Actions speak louder than words and yous where truly dominated by the better team.

I'm not going to say anything at the risk of being infracted tbh. Remember when Bartely destroyed Scott Brown? I do.

Destroyed? Is that what you call a poor tackle these day? Brown laughed at him after it, Bartley was very poor, Arsenal fans shouldn't get to excited about him.

David Weir is a legend. Don't see Celtic relying on anyone till they're old? Nope, if he's not playing well you bring in more people.
He really isnt a Rangers Legend tbh
Why would we really on players that are past it? XD
Nope if they are past it we bring in someone who isnt like every other team in the world oO) Just because you have to stick with the old man doesnt mean all teams should stick with crappy players. Honestly one of stupidest comments if have seen on base. Considering the amount of idiots that log on every day that is saying something.

Also, Ian (or Iain?) Brines had a good game, and nothing to be said about this conspiracy :P
Every player on the team played there part cant even criticize one of them.

I also better praise the ref before Aldo comes on ranting about us never praiseing him even though i did it last time.
The ref did well there probably should have been more cards if it wasnt a OF game but I suppose the less cards the better.

I just cant get enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bring on Wednesday week!!!!!!!!!!!

YouTube - Green Brigade - Just Can't Get Enough Celtic (6) - Inverness Caledonian Thistle (0)

I never said Bartely was good, I agree he was ****. He raped Brown 3 minutes in, whether he laughed at him or not, he got taken, out. I don't care that it was a bad tackle, just happy the **** got what he deserved.

Yeah, I know, but Mulgrew not being a natural CB, played his part superbly :P

Also, if anyone can get a video link for the Bartley challenge, it would be appreciated.

Heard it could have been worse than a yellow.

was at the game was awesome mate mulgrew and inzaguire i thought were best players on pitch. Hooper got mom for his goals esspecialy his first which was a great goal. I would say the first 20 minutes we were really ropey and werent passing the ball and rangers sensed that. However after we got the first the rest of the game was a breeze. Also majstorvic (however you sell his name) was brillaint today as well never put a thought wrong. I am feeling rather confident gonig into the reply as we same to be winning easily and playing some nice stuff to..

Thus proving your immaturity, and inability to make a decent joke. David Weir is a legend. Don't see Celtic relying on anyone till they're old? Nope, if he's not playing well you bring in more people.
lol yeah i know terrible eh not having to rely on a 40 year old becasue there isnt any money to bud a defender if you want we can lkoan you lovens :) . Yeah we have a real problem with buying players i feel that lennon has a addiction to it or is it beating you lot hahaha.

Celtic 3-0 Rangers: Celtic better all over the pitch

February 20, 2011

celticrangers.jpg

Celtic extended their advantage at the top of the SPL with a dominant performance.
Neil Lennon left out Anthony Stokes, and brought in Georgios Samaras to play upfront.
Walter Smith again used Kyle Bartley ahead of the back four, and played El-Hadji Diouf and Steven Naismith either side of the midfield (whereas in last weekend’s 6-0 over Motherwell, Diouf played just off the striker in a 4-2-3-1).
The first significant action of the game happened within two minutes. Bartley dived into an unnecessary challenge and picked up a booking. From there, he was frightened of making any more tackles, and therefore Rangers were significantly weakened in the centre of the pitch.

Central midfield

This helped Celtic dominate the midfield battle, though overall their midfielders were more reliable in possession than Rangers’ anyway. Maurice Edu frequently gave the ball away, as did Bartley. Biram Kayal played deep in midfield foer Celtic and got time on the ball – he didn’t do anything spectacular, but moved the ball nicely from side to side, and was the main reason Celtic dominated possession – they had 60% of the ball throughout the match.
Despite holding onto the ball for decent periods, Celtic looked at their most threatening when they played on the break, as in the previous league meeting between these sides, where Samaras scored two goals on the counter. Celtic were especially dangerous down their left – Kris Commons played as an advanced, natural winger on that side, whereas Scott Brown was tucked in on the right, almost as a third central midfielder.

Two goals from the left

That meant the left was more of an outlet for the home side, and Commons supplied Hooper for the first goal with a low ball into feet. Hooper sped past Weir in an amazingly mismatched contest, and fired home.
Celtic also prospered down their left because of the attacking drive from Emilio Izaguirre from full-back. Smith switched Diouf and Naismith midway through the half, possibly because Naismith is better defensively and was more likely to do a better job of tracking Izaguirre. However, the Honduran sped forward to create Celtic’s second with a very direct attack down the left – he squared for Hooper to tap into an empty net.

Celtic dominance

Celtic were simply better in every department. They exposed Weir’s weakness at the back, and held onto the ball better in the centre of the pitch, whilst Rangers struggled to give Nikica Jelavic any support from midfield – he frequently battled for long balls but had no-one to knock the ball down to.
Diouf and Naismith stayed in wide positions, whilst neither Edu nor Davis got forward from the centre particularly well – in fact, Davis seemed to move deeper as the first half went on, trying to get more time on the ball, as Kayal was enjoying in his deep role. Rangers missed Jamie Ness, who had impressed in the first Old Firm derby of the year with his calm passing from midfield.

Second half

Smith tried to change things at half time. He brought on Kyle Lafferty for the injured Naismith in a straight swap, but moved to more of a 4-4-2 with Diouf joining Jelavic upfront. The full-backs also pushed higher up the pitch, and tried to overlap Rangers’ wide players more. Immediately Rangers were more of a threat to the Celtic defence, as Diouf pulled down a long ball for a decent chance, but they were still second best. With a lack of central midfield options on the bench, they never gained the advantage in that zone and the switch in formation didn’t help.
Celtic were mature and disciplined in the second half. The full-backs generally stayed in position and their central midfielders remained behind the ball. As a result, their attacking potential was reduced – but they weren’t vulnerable to quick Rangers breaks. Ki Sung-Yeung replaced Kayal (who was on a booking, and tends not to last 90 minutes anyway) in the centre of the pitch and played that quiet passing role similarly well, and Commons grabbed a third with a long-range shot that deceived McGregor.
David Healy replaced Diouf as Smith tried to introduce a new attacking threat, but Celtic were comfortable and deserved the victory.

Conclusion

Celtic were stronger than Rangers in every department, meaning it’s impossible to identify one area of the pitch or a particular battle that was the major factor in winning the game.
It does indicate that Lennon got his tactics correct, however. Celtic were intelligent with the ball – they broke quickly when the opportunity arose, but otherwise played short, calm passing that frustrated Rangers.
Rangers looked disjointed in the first half. There was no support to Jelavic, the midfield couldn’t retain the ball, and Weir’s pace was exposed at the back. None of the starting XI had good games, and Smith was unable to change things from the bench.

Lets all do the Brooney <3
YouTube - celtic v the huns ~ 20-2-11.wmv

Last edited:
Is Broadfoot still injured?

We'll take him back if you don't want him :)

Was a great result today, went crazy when the second went in.

Anyone got footage of the crowd after the 2nd goal? The "just cant get enough" chant is really growing on me. ;D

Knew someone would get the boot into Brown, just surprised it was Bartley ! And I can't believe the commentator suggested it would be a red later in the game oO)

The tackle could have quite easily been a straight red mate no doubts.

Tottally disagree with you there mate, John Greig,Jim Baxter,Richard Gough,Andy Goram, Ally McCoist they are legends.

David Weir is an old fool who should have hung up his boots 2 years ago, I don't beleive for one minute that we don't have a 19/20 year old centre back in our reserves capable of doing a better job than a 40 year old with absolutley no pace,who constantly just punts the ball up-field

You don't say that when he controls the back line wins tackes and has a good game why criticise now ? yes hes getting on but because he was beaten by a better player and all 4 players at the back were poor and overall outclassed.

I don't think Walter will say anything. I think there will just be a shotgun pointed at the head of Lafferty :P

We really aren't that lucky mate!

Boo yah! Go Celtic!!
any Rangers injuries?

Naismith came off injured at half time.

Was a great result today, went crazy when the second went in.

Anyone got footage of the crowd after the 2nd goal? The "just cant get enough" chant is really growing on me. ;D

Why did you go crazy oO) your a liverpool fan ?

The game yesterday resulted in me getting rather boozed up! Uo until and even 5-10 mins after the first goal the game was evenly **** both teams were poor but then celtic started growing in confidence and playing us off the park and we stood and let them do it, then at half time we decide to bring on lafferty like thats going to ******* help. doubt Izaguirre will be a celtic player next season.

Also Shay you have a sly dig at me about few things before but the one about actions speak louder you were overall better than us in that game but it doesn't make your team far better than us as we proved in the last two seasons so don't base it on one or two games oO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back