Onox 4-3-3 Total Football v3 (Everything won as Man U) Great Results!

• Thread starter Thread starter Onox
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 416
  • Views Views 157K
ok cool :)
btw what type of strikers u use left & right ? as your attributes in 1st page are not cleear to me
they both need good of the ball , finishing & dribbling right ? the left one the quicker one and the right one the taller/stronger one . am i right here ?
btw just crushed atletico madrid 4-0 in CL final with Anderlecht (2014 ) with your tactic , matchday before ... 5-0 against my biggest league rivals Liege. impressed :D

The left striker is the finisher, the poacher, it's important that he has good finishing, quickness, agility, anticipation and off the ball. He does not have to be creative or have good passing. He's job is simply to be a final option for the attack and to score. The right striker is supposed to be strong and well balanced with normal creativity (10-14+) and ok passing (12-15+). He has more of a supporting role for the Poacher and the AMC but can however also score, in fact for me the right striker tends to score just as much as the poacher as I use Rooney in that position :)

Starting using this tactic with Walsall, and tbh I'm getting low scoring games with the matches.

Give it some time until the tactic glues in. I dont know what kind of players Walsall has but this is a 4-3-3 tactic thus requires a solid midfield with a strong defensive mid-fielder and two creative ones beside him. Its should get better and better though as the match preperation bars fill up. Also note that I didnt make this tactic to score 5+ goals every match, my aim was to make a solid Home/Away tactic that conceeds as few goals as possible and ensure's victory. If your team manages to score 5+ goals using this tac than thats great, its also a result of some fine custom tunes from your side and the fact that you gave the tactic a chance to glue in. My aim for this was to make a good solid possesion tactic where you are controlling the match thus rarley conceeding goals and usually end up winning. Does it matter if you won by 1-2 goals as long as your winning every match? :)

hiya onox , is there anychance of you re-posting the v3 , v4 doesnt seem to work on my southampton

Sure thing, i'm just gonna fix Set pieces for the V3 then upload it beside the V4 as an option for those of you that need it :)

Ive uploaded v3 for those of you that want it as well as v4.1 (Very small fix). Check the first page for more info.

Onox - just wanted to say in my opinion, V3 is better.

I was using V4 for a while and it's nowhere near as effective as V3.

I'm on a 10 match winning streak with Spurs with it, has made my season come alive.

Up to 4th in the league from 10th, and into the champions league 1/4 final.

Well done, really good work - will keep you updated.

tried V3 of this tactic with Birmingham, Birmingham vs Everton (no shouts used) just to see how it was *plug and play* wise, my squad was competent -> accomplished with the tactic. I won 5-1 and all my players preformed well. Then went on to beat WBA, then a loss to Chelsea (naturally, but a decent performance) then a solid win against Blackpool. A good tactic here, definitely going to continue to use it. :)

Mental tactic. Liverpool are kicking *** on my save. But then I did assemble a good squad. My only concern is that players are quite aggressive and it tires them out. But then both of this aren't a problem with a big squad. Yet to play the Big 5, though.

Onox - just wanted to say in my opinion, V3 is better.

I was using V4 for a while and it's nowhere near as effective as V3.

I'm on a 10 match winning streak with Spurs with it, has made my season come alive.

Up to 4th in the league from 10th, and into the champions league 1/4 final.

Well done, really good work - will keep you updated.

Thats strange to hear really about the difference between v3 and v4. The V4 is only a small fine tune, nothing major was changed. The main focus was set pieces with only some very tiny changes to attack. Maybe it was due to the small gap issue between mid and defence that was draging? This was fixed in v4.1 even though it was not a "bad" thing really. Have you tried v4.1? Im using v4.1 and its superb for me just as v3 was. In anycase feel free to use what works best for you, I released v3 with fixed set pieces on the first page :) Thanks for the report btw.

tried V3 of this tactic with Birmingham, Birmingham vs Everton (no shouts used) just to see how it was *plug and play* wise, my squad was competent -> accomplished with the tactic. I won 5-1 and all my players preformed well. Then went on to beat WBA, then a loss to Chelsea (naturally, but a decent performance) then a solid win against Blackpool. A good tactic here, definitely going to continue to use it. :)

Interesting to hear that it worked that well with plug and play tbh. Its just been working so good for me I never bothered changing any OI, shout's, philosophy or team strategy in fear of messing things up hehe.

Its always good to hear how others are having a success with the tac, and I appreciate any feedback from you guys. As every other tac you download I suggest you custom tune it to suit your team, feel free to experiment with things like width, D-line, creativity levels of players, passing instructions, shout's, team philosophy and starting strategy etc etc and share anything you feel can make it even better.

Hi Onox - the one on the OP is 4.1 counter - are you using counter as standard now?

Depends on the team im playing with. If im playing with a strong team like Man U I tick it off, however it does work good on as well. With a lesser team I have it on always. But im still experimenting so I cant say for sure which is the best solution. Ill post more info once I have enough games tested with the tac and counter on/off.

v3 compared to v4 has :
less width
right striker : less run with ball
(for what i saw in a quick look )

btw what 's difference between v4 & 4.1 ? both have counter attack on here , i only saw a +1notch for CD in team instructions , are there more differences ? :p
just to help you out onox ;)

Last edited:
can't finf these beforematch setting !! *Retain Possession *Pass to Feet help please

Hey guys

I've always been a fan of the 4-3-3 total football style and this style worked very well in FM 2010 for me, so lately ive been trying to get something similar working in FM 2011 and now i've finally gotten somewhere.

The tactic formation is 4-3-1-2. It uses wide play and quick tempo to break down oppoments back half and dominate it with pressure with excellent possession football. This tactic uses two creative midfielders (MCL and MCR) to create chances and deliver lethal through balls to the AMC or Strikers. The AMC has a simmilar role as the creative midfielders but is more offensive and usually hangs in the front with low defensive mentality. I have only tested this tactic so far with Man United and Sunderland but have been very successful with it with both clubs, winning the League, League Cup, Fa Cup and Champions cup with Man U and finishing 4th in the league as well as winning League cup and reaching FA cup Final with Sunderland. I've managed to score victories against all top english sides both home and away, same goes for Lyon, FC Bayern, R.Madrid and Barcelona in the Champions Cup with Man U.

So far this tac also has worked well with lesser teams, feel free to test and see how it works for you and your team.

I would love some feedback on the tactic and how it could be improved, right now im planning to test it for another season to see if there are any more tweaks that can be made and id love any input from you guys.

Here are some screens:

formationu.jpg

ligasluttt.jpg

(Note: Most of the losses and Draws were due to major injuries in the club on key players)

championsfinal.jpg

barcakampp.jpg

O/I:

I set Closing Down and Tight Marking on All strikers and AMC. The AML and AMR I just close down. Never ever have specified Tackling on strikers only on the AMC/R/L's or creative midfielders that have low strenght and balance. I have a habbit of always clicking on ask assistant before I apply these O/I's then overwriting his settings on the positions I mentioned above but do as you wish. Ive also been setting shove on weeker foot on the above positions.

Sideline Instructions:
Always use these at the start of every match:
*Retain Possession
*Pass to Feet
*Exploit Middle
*Work ball into box

If you are leading and there is 15-20 Left of the match and you want to ensure victory then do:

Strategy: Contain
*Retain Possession
*Take a Breather
*Play Even Safer
*Pass to feet

Feel free to experiment if you wish and post feedback if you discover anyway to use O/I and/or Sideline Instructions better.

Player Instructions:

Goalkeeper - Defend

Fullback's - Defend
Main Skill Focus: Acceleration, Pace, Anticipation, Marking, Tackling

Central Defender's - Defend
Main Skill Focus: Marking, Tackling, Anticipation, Teamwork Fairly quick and with 11+ Passing.

MCR - Deep Lying Playmaker - Support
Main Skill Focus: Passing, Creativity, Positioning, having a fairly good tackling also help's (10+)

MC - Ball Winning Midfielder - Defend
Main Skill Focus: Tackling, Marking, Work Rate, Positioning, Strength, Stamina, passing 13+

MCL - Advanced Playmaker - Support
Main Skill Focus: Passing, Creativity, Positioning, having a fairly good tackling also help's (10+)

AMC - Attacking Midfielder Or Inside Forward - Support
Main Skill Focus: Passing, Creativity, Off the Ball, Technique, Dribbling, Flair, Long Shots (Optional if you have a good player with Long shot then set player instructions accordignly for him, same goes for the other midfielders that have Long Shots 15+)

Left Striker - Poacher - Attack
Main Skill Focus: Finishing, Off the Ball, Acceleration, Pace, Agility, Creativity, Technique, First Touch

Right Forward - Advanced Forward - Attack
Main Skill Focus: Finishing, Passing, Creativity, Technique, First Touch, Off the Ball, Balance, Strength

Match preperation:

I used Defensive Positioning entire season and the workload was set to average. Also note that the tactic worked much better when the match preperation bars were filled up rather than in the start, so give it some time if it dosent please you to begin with.

** Version 4 out! **

Main tweaks in v4 is defence and defending set pieces as well as attacking set pieces. I did include a few tweaks to attack which I think works well. V4 is mostly a fine tune of v3 however you should be able to notice a difference and I suggest anyone using v3 to get v4. Ive tested v4 with both Man U and Sunderland for one season each with greater results than v3.

I'm at an end with the tac I believe, ill give it one more season with my Sunderland team for a final review to see if anything can be improved as well as taking any feedback from you guys into consideration. If I feel like there is nothing more to be done then I will at some point start developing a new and different tactic perhaps using vingers for a change.

Enjoy :)

Ive added v3 with set piece fix for those of you that want to stick to that tac.
I have also added V4.1. The only thing ive change in this version is that i've enabled counter attack and moved the defence and midfield a tiny bit closer together, reson for doing this is that I got reports from my Assisstant manager that there was a gap between midfield and defence that the opposition could take advantage of, this has now been fixed and works just the same as v4, so ill leave the choice up to you guys which version you want. The counter attack option is enabled for v4.1 but feel free to turn it off or experiment with it to see what is best for your team.

For people having issues downloading the file from FmBase, here is a fliefront link as well as another FM base download link
Onox 4-3-3 Total Football v4.tac - Fm Base
Onox 4-3-3 Total Football v4.tac - Filefront
Onox 4-3-3 Total Football v4.tac - Mediafire
Onox 4-3-3 Total Football v4.1 Counter.tac - Mediafire
Onox 4-3-3 Total Football v3 with Setpeices.tac - Media Fire

Sorry for going off-topic, Onox... But.
I can see that you've wrote that you have tested this with Sunderland. I'm not sure which players would fit in this tactic (I mean... Who to buy). Btw. It is a great tactic :)
Please help me out here, mate.
Cheers! :D

v3 compared to v4 has :
less width
right striker : less run with ball
(for what i saw in a quick look )

btw what 's difference between v4 & 4.1 ? both have counter attack on here , i only saw a +1notch for CD in team instructions , are there more differences ? :p
just to help you out onox ;)

Yeah your rught. V4 compared to v4.1 is only the mentality of the defensive mid and mentality of the defending line. Each of them are one tick closer to each other to close the gap and easier supply ball to the mid field :)

---------- Post added at 05:13 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 10:28 PM ----------

Sorry for going off-topic, Onox... But.
I can see that you've wrote that you have tested this with Sunderland. I'm not sure which players would fit in this tactic (I mean... Who to buy). Btw. It is a great tactic :)
Please help me out here, mate.
Cheers! :D

I just bought Mid fielders m8. Depending if you manage to sell the wingers (which you dont need with this tac) and other useless players in B squad then you should be able to gather enough to buy a capable mid field. In season two I bought a new striker (poacher). Tbh I did not spend too much time and research on who to get for the team as I was only testing to see how the tac would work with a lesser team. I'd imagine people with bigger knowledge playing Sunderland should know who to get etc. :)

Last edited:
More people should try this tactic - can't give it high enough praise.

I'm using V3 with all OI & Touchline Shouts.

I'm spurs - just into the end of Feb and I'm 2nd in the league and 3-1 up after the first leg of the 1st knockout round against Lyon.

I'm unbeaten in 25 games and it's really started to click.

The team is solid at the back, and very strong going forward - great to watch.

Onox - one thing I've noticed... on opposition set pieces, if the ball goes to the back post there is often a player unmarked, or just 1 person there - this has often led to opposition goals. It't not happening alot but just something I've noticed - do you find the same?

Once agan, thanks and congratulations with this - hope more people use it!

Have you thought about releasing it on the SI Games forum?

isn't hard to win everything with man united

Never said it was, also if you read a few of the post's in the thread you would see that other people have had good success with lower teams using this tac. I have myself tried playing with Sunderland using this tac with excellent results.

More people should try this tactic - can't give it high enough praise.

I'm using V3 with all OI & Touchline Shouts.

I'm spurs - just into the end of Feb and I'm 2nd in the league and 3-1 up after the first leg of the 1st knockout round against Lyon.

I'm unbeaten in 25 games and it's really started to click.

The team is solid at the back, and very strong going forward - great to watch.

Onox - one thing I've noticed... on opposition set pieces, if the ball goes to the back post there is often a player unmarked, or just 1 person there - this has often led to opposition goals. It't not happening alot but just something I've noticed - do you find the same?

Once agan, thanks and congratulations with this - hope more people use it!

Have you thought about releasing it on the SI Games forum?

Glad it works well for you m8. I've noticed what you mean about the set peice and I think ive managed to solve it with my current version.

Right now im testing the tac as plug n play without Sideline shouts, im still using O/I's though ofc. Im also testing it with different philosophies and ive managed to fix set pieces even better now, I have my left centre back scoring often from corners. Im playing around with many things, trying to be creative, i'll be doing this for a while now and it's gonna take a while but eventually ill go for a v5 release at some point which will be my final version then ill make a totally new tac using wingers :)

I havent thought about releasing the tac to SI forums, I hardly ever go there and I always thought FM Base to be the main source for FM 11 stuff etc. If you wish feel free to post it there and maybe lead them to this thread as i'd love as much feedback as possible in order to perfect this.

Last edited:
Hi m8, can I use this tactic as a PnP for the default Chelsea team?

I was wondering something like that:

DR: Ivanovic
DL: A. Cole
DC: Alex
DC: Terry
MRC: Essien
MLC: Lampard
MC: Mikel
AMC: Malouda / Benayoun
FLC: Anelka
FRC: Drogba

I think that could fit perfectly but wish to know if could work as PnP ?
And sure, if it works, witch version do you recommend me?

Thanks

Last edited:
Never said it was, also if you read a few of the post's in the thread you would see that other people have had good success with lower teams using this tac. I have myself tried playing with Sunderland using this tac with excellent results.

Glad it works well for you m8. I've noticed what you mean about the set peice and I think ive managed to solve it with my current version.

Right now im testing the tac as plug n play without Sideline shouts, im still using O/I's though ofc. Im also testing it with different philosophies and ive managed to fix set pieces even better now, I have my left centre back scoring often from corners. Im playing around with many things, trying to be creative, i'll be doing this for a while now and it's gonna take a while but eventually ill go for a v5 release at some point which will be my final version then ill make a totally new tac using wingers :)

I havent thought about releasing the tac to SI forums, I hardly ever go there and I always thought FM Base to be the main source for FM 11 stuff etc. If you wish feel free to post it there and maybe lead them to this thread as i'd love as much feedback as possible in order to perfect this.

Great work Onox ! what a tactic .... :)
i'm using V4.1 with Anderlecht . In europe vs bigger teams its a dream , but asi'm best team in Belgium its more difficult to win "little " games . i let my asst do the OI , i only do the sideline shouts as you propose on page 1. works very well :) What i think is very strong on this tactic ( and what i like to do meself ) is almost no long shots instructed . You have no good longshooters or is that part of your tactical " knowhow " ? :p

Great work Onox ! what a tactic .... :)
i'm using V4.1 with Anderlecht . In europe vs bigger teams its a dream , but asi'm best team in Belgium its more difficult to win "little " games . i let my asst do the OI , i only do the sideline shouts as you propose on page 1. works very well :) What i think is very strong on this tactic ( and what i like to do meself ) is almost no long shots instructed . You have no good longshooters or is that part of your tactical " knowhow " ? :p

Unless I have a player with 17+ long shots then I set long shots to rarely. I just tend to believe that its always better to get the ball into the box than to shoot from distance.

i think the same way :)
but in belgian league +15 is enough i think ;)

btw i had another Q : had a quick look at your corner (attacking) instrucs , and saw the left striker has " stay back if needed " assigned. now i see your fullbacks + mc have also that instruction. so that would make 4 players stay back if needed ( i thought 2 was enough ) . i will observe in matches .
but my left striker has corners 20 , i'd really like him to take my corners .
i'd like to change the mc and left sc their attacking corner instructions , won't that affect the balance during cornerplay , what u think m8 ? ( i dont see why , but just asking : ) )

Last edited:
Back