Phil Jones Completes Manchester United Deal

I remember watching him in his first game for Blackburn vs Chelsea, he was MOTM and ever since it has seemed he is destined for the top.
I wish all the best to him and I'm sure he and Smalling will be the future of England's backline as Man Utd continue to show other clubs how to do it 'youth-wise'.

So much for them Scouse mob trying to force us into paying 20+.

Clearly the Venkys have released what a release clause means.

Am I the only one childish enough to laugh at Rooney's tweet : 'I look forward to playing with u'

I remember watching him in his first game for Blackburn vs Chelsea, he was MOTM and ever since it has seemed he is destined for the top.
I wish all the best to him and I'm sure he and Smalling will be the future of England's backline as Man Utd continue to show other clubs how to do it 'youth-wise'.

There is no doubt Man Utd have done a great job on youth players in the past, but they've just bought Phil Jones. That's hardly showing anyone "how to do it".

There is no doubt Man Utd have done a great job on youth players in the past, but they've just bought Phil Jones. That's hardly showing anyone "how to do it".

He is 19......

And they've just bought him...

They are still going with 2 young English players at Future Cb, In Smalling and Jones. So Showing clubs that going for English players can still work. Like when they brought in Cole, Sheringham in the 90s. or More recently, Carrick, Rio( he has doubled in ability since Utd) and possibily Young.

They have got in English players to form the backbone of there team, something other clubs can do, Apart from Villa and Liverpool( Very recently) how many other clubs spend millions to form an English Backbone?

I agree with what I think you mean, in as much that he cost the club a lot of money, but Arsenal are the kings of the youth policy and still bought Fabregas, Van Persie, Nasri etc

What I basically meant was that none of us have seen what United can do with Phil Jones yet, he might aswell flop for all we know.

I agree with what I think you mean, in as much that he cost the club a lot of money, but Arsenal are the kings of the youth policy and still bought Fabregas, Van Persie, Nasri etc

*Blushes*.

Good signing for both parties I reckon. End for Evans then? He won't be happy at being 5th choice surely? I certainly expect this to end your interest in Varane - maybe we'll pick him up instead, although I hope not. Sounds like he's exactly like Bartley, who Wenger is keen on.

that is true, but Makelele was supreme at reading play, and also finding the cm ahead of him. He was a fulcrum, perfectly distributing the ball from the defence to the more creative players. If only Manicienne was that player...

Yeah agreed, obviously Mancienne is no where near as good as Makelele was, but still it shows that not all stats tell the full story.

What I basically meant was that none of us have seen what United can do with Phil Jones yet, he might aswell flop for all we know.

OH i now get you, But still i think the point of what you quoted was that Utd signed a youngster, rather then a ready made player and he was English.. And going on past experience, An english talent will get better at Utd, whether he makes the Utd grade or not, is a different story, but he will improve as a player,

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

*Blushes*.

Good signing for both parties I reckon. End for Evans then? He won't be happy at being 5th choice surely? I certainly expect this to end your interest in Varane - maybe we'll pick him up instead, although I hope not. Sounds like he's exactly like Bartley, who Wenger is keen on.

I think it is the end of O'shea and Brown, AS Evans is still young and can cover LB he will be kept. Also Smalling can cover RB, Jones DM... so all could effectively play in the same team. AS i full expect Raf + Fabio to be fighting out for the rigth back berth.

Maybe I'm just being greedy, but I'd like Varane too! I think this is the kick up the **** that Evans needs, there's no doubt he had a poor season. If he can reach the form he showed before though and avoid all the injury problems he's had, I would put him as third choice cb. He and Van Der Sar were the main-stays in the side during our record breaking defensive run, so he is clearly a good player

*Blushes*.

Apparently the deal for Varane is still on despite signing Jones.

Really?!!!

Sigh. *Shakes head*

Yeah you know, the guys who set an EPL record for clean sheets, The current best defender in the world, the best ball playing defender in this country, and to top it off Billy, the most successful manager of all time. Nice effort Billy.