Phil Jones Completes Manchester United Deal

Well, I don't know if you've watched United over the last few years but we haven't got a good ball winner in central midfield due to the unfortunate absense of Hargreaves; so I certainly think Jonesy should be starting in midfield for us next season alongside (hopefully) Modric/Nasri/Pastore/Sneijder.

He's 19 years old, he has years to become a first team regular and the fact he has signed with us shows he's a teamplayer who's willing to be patient, he's ambitious & wants to improve and become one of the best defenders/holding midfielders in the world. Now unless Liverpool have the best ball-playing and the best ball-winning defender in the world, aswell as the greatest manager of all time; I don't see how it's a bad move for "the kid'' :S

Take it you don't rate Fletcher then? He's supposedly one of Fergie's favourites whenever that is position is needed, can't see him being ousted quite yet. I see what you're saying about the patience and the learning process, but having already had a taste of captaincy and regular first team premiership football at Blackburn, is it not going to be a step back for Jones, warming the bench in exchange for a good few words off Vidic and Ferdinand in training?

Even for his future call up chances, he'd have more hope of being picked for the national team playing potentially more regular footy for Liverpool or Arsenal - I'd even say Arsenal would have been the better move tbh than my own club. He must have his reasons I guess, time will tell if he made the right choice.

Take it you don't rate Fletcher then? He's supposedly one of Fergie's favourites whenever that is position is needed, can't see him being ousted quite yet. I see what you're saying about the patience and the learning process, but having already had a taste of captaincy and regular first team premiership football at Blackburn, is it not going to be a step back for Jones, warming the bench in exchange for a good few words off Vidic and Ferdinand in training?

Even for his future call up chances, he'd have more hope of being picked for the national team playing potentially more regular footy for Liverpool or Arsenal - I'd even say Arsenal would have been the better move tbh than my own club. He must have his reasons I guess, time will tell if he made the right choice.

had this discussion already on the united thread.

Fletcher isnt a DM for one. In fact Phil Jones is the only real DM in the side, which makes him invaluable in europe

United were always going to sign him, but next season instead of this one, however rio is injury prone, and Jones will get a good amount of game time, feature in the cup games, and also in europe, as well as rotating in the league.

Last edited:
pity i heard Diego Forlan was a beast at Man Utd ;)

Still double the goal/game ratio of Torres at Chelsea. ;) But this is about Jones, and how all the United fans think he's an awesome signing and Liverpool fans screaming he'll just sit on the bench for his career!

Still double the goal/game ratio of Torres at Chelsea. ;) But this is about Jones, and how all the United fans think he's an awesome signing and Liverpool fans screaming he'll just sit on the bench for his career!

u started the topic on Torres lol

had this discussion already on the united thread.

Fletcher isnt a DM for one. In fact Phil Jones is the only real DM in the side, which makes him invaluable in europe

United were always going to sign him, but next season instead of this one, however rio is injury prone, and Jones will get a good amount of game time, feature in the cup games, and also in europe, as well as rotating in the league.

Who said he was ever a DM in the conversation? Munroe stated you were lacking a good ball winner, I named Fletcher, that was all. I stated earlier that I believed Smalling to be a more likely replacement to Ferdinand than Jones, so either way one of them is going to lose out. I stand by what I said I'm afraid, it's a bad move for Jones, he'll get less game time than he would have at Liverpool or Arsenal. That's my last comment on this guys, I can see it's going to turn into another Liverpool vs Man U thing when all I came for was simple debate on Jone's best interests and his England opportunities.

So I take it were all ruling out the chances of a loan move for Jones then?

I dont think it will happen tbh Mate, I can see a spot for him in our squad, Especially with Brown and hopefully O'shea moving on.

Who said he was ever a DM in the conversation? Munroe stated you were lacking a good ball winner, I named Fletcher, that was all. I stated earlier that I believed Smalling to be a more likely replacement to Ferdinand than Jones, so either way one of them is going to lose out. I stand by what I said I'm afraid, it's a bad move for Jones, he'll get less game time than he would have at Liverpool or Arsenal. That's my last comment on this guys, I can see it's going to turn into another Liverpool vs Man U thing when all I came for was simple debate on Jone's best interests and his England opportunities.

your original point was that it's a bad move, i merely stated why it isnt. Thats kind of what we do on these threads

pity i heard Diego Forlan was a beast at Man Utd ;)

Hero.. Scored brace against Liverpool and Winner against Chelsea..

Still you can hear chants about Forlan at OT..

BTW, why did Forlan name pop up in this thread?

I dont think it will happen tbh Mate, I can see a spot for him in our squad, Especially with Brown and hopefully O'shea moving on.

Very true, I think he will get 15-20 games this season along with Smalling, but the majority will probably be in midfield. I'm hoping we still go for Varane and let him stay at Lens on a season loan

Very true, I think he will get 15-20 games this season along with Smalling, but the majority will probably be in midfield. I'm hoping we still go for Varane and let him stay at Lens on a season loan

Midfield in europe, centrebacks in the cups i think. Varane will go back on loan if we sign him

That would be the ideal situation for me, Then when Rio really starts to decline properly, 12 months time i reckon, we have the squad sorted before FFP.

Thats exactly what i was thinking.. Sign Varane and send him to French league side on loan where he can get regular games.

And I have a feeling Jones will be very important for our European away ties playing as DM. Carrick is tactically brilliant but we need steel in the Midfield. And Fletcher is not a DM.. So Jones signing makes lot of sense..

That would be the ideal situation for me, Then when Rio really starts to decline properly, 12 months time i reckon, we have the squad sorted before FFP.

thats why SAF wanted him next season. think long term he will be CB who can play DM, but this season he will be a DM mostly. Think the reason we are pursuing Varane still is that he will be the long term DM in the side, and he can also play centreback

How good is Jones as a DM though? Good enough to be used in important European matches?

How good is Jones as a DM though? Good enough to be used in important European matches?

played most of this season in midfield, looked very good. Only way to know is in the games themselves. people questioned smalling in europe, but he was really very good in the group stages

thats why SAF wanted him next season. think long term he will be CB who can play DM, but this season he will be a DM mostly. Think the reason we are pursuing Varane still is that he will be the long term DM in the side, and he can also play centreback

From what i have read, Varane is not good enough to play as DM. Haven't watched any games though, just videos..