A perfect case in point: just spent 20 minutes changing to a 3-5-2 defensive formation for a home game, tweaking all player roles etc to try and bring in a more compact, tighter game (structured, defensive, less men forward, more direct etc).

Concede after 15 seconds.
Turn it round to 2-1 up (no tactical changes)
Lose 3-2 (still no tactical changes)

Nothing works.

A perfect case in point: just spent 20 minutes changing to a 3-5-2 defensive formation for a home game, tweaking all player roles etc to try and bring in a more compact, tighter game (structured, defensive, less men forward, more direct etc).

Concede after 15 seconds.
Turn it round to 2-1 up (no tactical changes)
Lose 3-2 (still no tactical changes)

Nothing works.

LLM for the most part is about simplicity. To get my promotion, I used a simple 4-4-2, with very little instruction. These aren't great players, they are average, and cannot be expected to complete the same feats as the Messi's or Ronaldo's of the world. I'd also look at swinging crosses into a target man, they can be a godsend at that level if you can get a good one.

LLM for the most part is about simplicity. To get my promotion, I used a simple 4-4-2, with very little instruction. These aren't great players, they are average, and cannot be expected to complete the same feats as the Messi's or Ronaldo's of the world. I'd also look at swinging crosses into a target man, they can be a godsend at that level if you can get a good one.

Thanks Godfish! Personally not a big fan of 4-4-2 so maybe thats where Im going wrong. Maybe I will have to try something a bit more boring at lower levels and see how it goes.

Although that said, even at lower league levels they should be able to understand stuff as basic as defensive / attacking mindsets or a 4-4-2 diamond (previously my main tactic). They're semi pro footballers not babies!

anyone annoyed you cant set opp instructions for different tactics?

its a pain in the ****

Hi, I noticed that most of the team in this new patch will play with some weird captain selection on the match day. Its hugely different from the default captain on the club overview/default captain of the club although both captain and vice captain is in the match day squad. Is this weird selection will somehow change AI team performance or just small issue to be ignore? Anyone else facing this issue?

So my 35 million pound valued striker has decided to miss every single chance he gets. Open goals, one on ones simple tap in from crosses you f%cking name it.

Tried to be nice, I have faith blah blah blah, didn't work. Then I said to him he'll be out the team if he doesn't buck up his ideas. Nothing. Even after one typical game where he missed his annual sitters I fined him. Still did nothing.

Anyone got any tips on how to get my best striker to hit the net? Because currently he's lost me at least 9 points this season.

So my 35 million pound valued striker has decided to miss every single chance he gets. Open goals, one on ones simple tap in from crosses you f%cking name it.

Tried to be nice, I have faith blah blah blah, didn't work. Then I said to him he'll be out the team if he doesn't buck up his ideas. Nothing. Even after one typical game where he missed his annual sitters I fined him. Still did nothing.

Anyone got any tips on how to get my best striker to hit the net? Because currently he's lost me at least 9 points this season.

Transfer list him and find a replacement!

I think I am done with this franchise, it is no longer a game that can be played casually. If you aren't a tactical genius and have hours upon hours free to dedicate to the game you will get no where. SI should realise that not everyone is a no life simpleton who can spend every waking hour pouring over formations and statistics, some of us actually have lives and jobs to do.

Like the lad on page 16 or 17 said, either the game is impossible or just lower league management is. I've now had 3 sackings and 3 straight relegations in the Conference South, literally every single tactic I try fails, whenever I get a goal I concede 2 more regardless of mentality and the few players I do buy turn to *****. An example was Ladapo at Margate - 15 goals a season minimum for 2 years, I buy him 3rd season and he gets 1 in 9.

Seems really difficult not only to get any kind of grasp on tactics at this level but also the way the game operates is clunky: can have team meetings with the same comments almost every time but can't make public comments or praise players publicly. Endless tedious press conferences and team talks but you can't call out a manager randomly or actively stir pre match (unless I'm missing something in which case my bad).

Im not someone who wants to win every game 5-0 to have fun but 3 straight bottom of the leagues is getting a bit ridiculous now. If I play 2 strikers we get beaten. If we play 1 striker we don't score. I buy 19-21yos from League 1, Championship and other league clubs and they offer promise but aren't good enough: I buy veterans and what little stats they have plummet after six months. Almost impossible to get anyone above 21 on loan too.

I keep persisting but have tried almost every formation imaginable - there doesn't seem to be any kind of formula for winning whatsoever. As a previous poster said the random and constantly changing managerial advice kind of sums up the game - feels like p*ssing in the wind making changes every 3 games hoping something will work, but so far it never does. At first I thought well I need to learn more, but after 3 years of the game I'm beginning to wonder if it's me or the game itself.

View attachment 1002925View attachment 1002926

Taken on a Nokia 3210

the ai players who always seem to perform against you really well in specific areas even thought their stats are ****, i.e. **** tackling and work rate makes a tonne of tackles, players with **** heading stats who always score headers

I'm about ready to pack it in with this game. I've played every FM since 07 and I have never had such an unenjoyable and frustrating experience like the one I've had with 16. There are so many problems with this game that I have encountered:

1) Full backs are idiots. They tuck in, no matter what formation I'm playing, no matter what degree of width, no matter what personal instructions - and thus they essentially act as two extra centre backs. This has happened on every save I've played too...I tried with Bayern Munich as an experiment, and the two best full backs in the world, Lahm and Alaba had no sense of positioning and could not follow my tactics. The insistance of the full backs to tuck in then leads to the next problems.

2) Crosses are completely overpowered. I'd estimate 75% of the goals I concede are from crosses. The opponent's wingers or centre midfielders always find themselves in acres of space on the wings because of the fact that my full backs insist on tucking in. Then despite the fact that in the box my players outnumber the strikers 2:1 if not 4:1, the striker always gets his head on it. Or the CB weakly heads it to the edge of the box, where the opposition gets it, plays it out to the spacious wing and hey ho another cross comes in. It gets pretty sickening and repetitive to watch after a while, and makes me want to punch a hole in my wall.

3) My players are colour blind - every third or fourth pass goes to an opponent. Or, when I instruct short passing, slow tempo and retention of possession, my CB decides to lump it up the field, and possession is lost. I don't get the point in spending so long trying to make a tactic when these players seem to blatantly ignore my instructions.

4) Strikers are pretty hopeless...they don't seem capable of finishing off a one on one, even if their stats suggest otherwise. I've seen more misses from two yards than I have goals on this version, it's insane. I could make 5 CCCs in a game and be lucky to have one goal by the end of 90 mins.

I've tried every tactic under the sun, downloaded the popular ones of the forum (something I've never been driven to before) and yet it just never seems to work. I really want to like this game because FM has always been the game I love...but 16 is making it tough. I've played nine seasons on my current save with Boston Utd...and gained one promotion. I'm not expecting miraculous consecutive promotions or anything, but six seasons of bottom half finishes in the Vanarama National League can only keep you interested for so long. No matter what I try, the players I sign, the team talks, the staff...the same problems arise. I'll probably wait for the final patch until I play 16 again...but if these issues don't go away it's probably the last FM I'll buy for the forseeable future.

They need to tone it down with the ******* first team football complaints. It's ****** ridiculous now. Start of the season, out of 5 matchdays, my 2 central defenders that have started 3 and been substituted in for another game making it 4 appearances in 5 games both then complain about lack of first team football right after the 5th game. How does that make any ****** sense?

Also Two players that were on loan at the start of the game both requested to have their loans terminated cause they need not see any action for the first 4 games. How ****** unrealistic is that? In real life they would at least give it half a season or 2 to 3 months to see if their chances come. SI needs to fix this **** cause it's pure retardation. The payers are all whiny babies you have to baby sit every second.

@White Daryl

1) I thought i was the only one - can't make Diekmeier hug the line to save my ******* life...

2) Every goal feels the same, yeah.

3) Don't have this problem... narrow diamond

4. They only score headers or tap-ins. 1v1 always end in nothing...

Game is quite ****... i normally find FM too easy, but this year it's quite ****.

Last edited:
oh and my players miss 8/10 penalties. No matter who i choose.

has anyone else noticed you only seem to concede a goal from a world class strike, ot from a mistake from players that shouldnt happen?

my players (mostly defenders) seem to rather than pass it simple like ive got things set to, would rather try and smash it long, or pass to a player that isnt going to keep the ball. its getting on my nerves, struggle to keep clean sheets

This game gives me so much rage it's unreal! 19 games played only drawn 3 games and lost 1 absolutely dominating teams then 5 games later are pure ****!!!!!!!!! can't stop conceding. dicks

you make a tactic that works for 2.8 minutes and then it's already figured out :')

Back to FM15 for meeee

We lost the title by 2 points later... (we had the goal difference on them).

View attachment 193558

Guardiola is doing a **** job, so i'm sure we could have drawn this game...

Last edited: