Yeah pretty much done with this game now. 19 goals this season conceded from crosses and 6 from corners despite working on defending set pieces every week. Every single goal either a set piece or corner. Either they've made lower league (Conference South) management too difficult or I'm just not getting it. 4 years, heading for a 4th straight relegation. F**k it.

Ive played fm 2014 over 400 hour, believe it or not, didn't play 2015, bought 2016 and like very year it's playable only with the third patch, this year I will play (when unbroken) with Stockton and bring them to premier league and that will be all, from now on if I need a casual fm game, I'll play 14 or 16, but I will never buy the game again.

Is anyone else seeing goals constantly scored in bunches. Could spend 60 mins working towards a goal, your team gets it only for the opposition to waltz down from their centre unopposed to equalize. It's either that or 3 minute double salvos - a 1-0 leads seem to vanish in the blink of an eye on this game all too frequently, no matter what tactics, shouts etc I try.

The bullsh*t scenario where your player tackles the ball down so that the same time they basically pass another opposition player clean through needs to stop!! It's still happening far too often in the game. Never seen it in real life! At least not so perfectly.

I signed Marcos Rojo in 2019 on a free deal from Man Utd to my Everton side, but now I am not getting the Work Permission and I have to loan him away :(

I am pretty experienced when it comes to Fm starting way back in 08 and i would consider myself very good, im quite a methodical thinker. This year im not sure if it's the match engine or what but i'm becoming so angry at the amount of games dominated but either lost or 0-0.
A player is 1on1 and then turns around and passes it backwards or puts it wide. The opposition keepers always seem to get man of the match against me with no less than 8 or 10 saves.
Another thing i have noticed is the ridiculous amount of cards that players receive.

On another note though, if anyone can point me in the way of a decent tactic or tactical tips i would appreciate because no matter what i try (counter, control, attacking) (short, mixed or direct) nothing works.

Why are there so many players worth over £30 million who have completely average stats and are like 2 stars.

Why are there so many players worth over £30 million who have completely average stats and are like 2 stars.

Coz stats and stars are 2 different forms for rating a player?

Ok i officially give up now. This game will is bunkers. No rhyme or rhythm to anything. You are not allowed to keep any consistency. Successful tactics always ultimately fail after a season or 2 at most. Can't build a career out of that. You can lose a game, restart it with nothing changed and then win it with a blow out. Quite daft and i've been strung along with this edition for long enough. Never wasting my time on this dumb fantasy again.

From November a tactic can't be played for ******* 2 seasons, after 1 season it becomes the worst tactic in the game every **** season have to make or download a new one **** ******

Ok i officially give up now. This game will is bunkers. No rhyme or rhythm to anything. You are not allowed to keep any consistency. Successful tactics always ultimately fail after a season or 2 at most. Can't build a career out of that. You can lose a game, restart it with nothing changed and then win it with a blow out. Quite daft and i've been strung along with this edition for long enough. Never wasting my time on this dumb fantasy again.

From November a tactic can't be played for ******* 2 seasons, after 1 season it becomes the worst tactic in the game every **** season have to make or download a new one **** ******

So the concern is that a single tactic, without modification, cannot be used to obtain success on a permanent basis? Well, what kind of real manager asks his players to do the exact same thing, match after match, without ever adjusting for anything? Is that realistic in the least?

Sounds like realism to me. Love it when my tactic fails because it means the game is challenging and I wont have to use the same tactic over and over resulting in the game becoming boring.

So the concern is that a single tactic, without modification, cannot be used to obtain success on a permanent basis? Well, what kind of real manager asks his players to do the exact same thing, match after match, without ever adjusting for anything? Is that realistic in the least?

It's just a game, it's supposed to be fun. We aren't getting paid for all this frustration. Real managers have to spend a large part of their day figuring out a tactic for each game because they are paid millions to do it (some don't even really do that, see barca, bayern, arsenal). We are just gamers, can't expect the same level of realism and effort as those paid to do it!

It's just a game, it's supposed to be fun. We aren't getting paid for all this frustration. Real managers have to spend a large part of their day figuring out a tactic for each game because they are paid millions to do it (some don't even really do that, see barca, bayern, arsenal). We are just gamers, can't expect the same level of realism and effort as those paid to do it!

Fun is entirely subjective. Fun to one gamer is winning every single match by 6 goals and winning every title possible. Fun to another gamer is tinker and finding a way to overcome challenges. As the deepest and most detailed and most realistic sports sim game on the market - for any sport - Football manager is tailored more toward those who want more depth. There is FM Classic for those who want simplification. That simplifies the tactics.... but you still have to think about tactics.

The game does not require you to change things constantly but plug and play doesn't work like it once did, and it does basically necessitate that you do adapt to some degree over time. Not every single match, but after a season, yeah. You have to think about tactics at least a bit. Its not asking you to be a full-time manager, but since it is a management simulator, it does require you to think about tactics at least a bit. Because you know, that's something a manager does.

If you don't want to worry about tactics at all, a football manager simulator might not be ideal. There are other games out there.

BTW, those three clubs you listed are not at all examples of sides that "just go out there and get on with it" with no thought to tactics. Not at all.

Watch some games with full time for at least 15 mins of the match or in comprehensive mode, trying to break the game down and see why your tactics did not work will fix your problem. If your player did not play like you told them, use "Highly structured", "Be more disciplined" and "stick to position"

For example: you want to play pressing football in narrow pitch - high defensive line like Barca, but your opponent just play long ball, stretch the side and hit early crosses into the box. So why on earth you keep asking your player pressing with high defensive line rather than stay in shape with lower line and wait for their useless cross ?

In this version of FM and real life football - Pressing and defensive line is the two most important things, and adapt to your opponents is not really cost your time. Use the scout to get their formation and their style, look at your tactic and think about how your player will play against them, tweak it a bit and use instant result (if you dont have much time - but the result will be better if you play). My Leicester City still going strong and not cost me too much time ;)

Last edited:
Only had the game a short while, but is it me or is this version of FM extremely difficult in comparison to previous versions? No matter what I try my team always struggles to retain possession, struggles to create meaningful chances and we concede easy chances to the opposition.

The tactics I'm creating look balanced. Main one a 433 with a DM and two CMs, one attacking full back, one of the CMs acting as a playmaker, the other CM on support to help the flow of possession. Wingers - one an out and out winger, the other an inside forward on support. Striker role varies with who I play, but I've experimented with target man, advanced forward, complete forward etc. Seems to be very little difference in performance levels from either of those tbh.

I don't know. I'm doing OK, sitting third with Feyenoord in February, but wins don't feel rewarding, draws and losses are equally frustrating. There's just so little consistency within the game. Previous FMs I would create and tinker 3 or 2 tactics until I was happy with them and then use whichever one was necessary for what opponent, and I would enjoy it. Success would obviously come with it as well.

I don't really want to go over to classic because I enjoy training, tutoring and bringing young players through and the whole scouting malarkey. But on the other hand it looks like I'm going to have to tweak tactics game by game to get consistent results, which, quite frankly, I don't have the patience for. I don't want plug and play by any means - I've rarely ever done that in previous instalments of the game, but I also don't want to have to spend 10-15 minutes before every game going over opposition scout reports and trying to tweak my tactic respectively - and there's no guarantee that'll even work.

TL;DR: I'm frustrated at how little enjoyment I'm getting out of the game, how unrewarding it feels and how everything I try tactically basically turns to ***** after one or two good games.

I've been playing FM consistently since FM12, but played FM05, 07 and 08 until I had a break through college and university commitments. So it's not a matter of being new into the franchise, I've had saves on all these versions and have progressed 10+ seasons, and usually with the first, second or third team I pick after getting started.

Please tell me there is more of us out there, so I can feel a little better about myself. lol.

The lack of first team football problem is getting out of hand. You are telling me that starting 3 out of 9 matches are not enough for a defender with rotation status? That is exactly what happened with 3 of my defenders. If 1/3 of the matches are not enough, then how many is "enough"? 50%? If so, then what's the point of having "First Team" and "Key Player" status because you are playing almost as much as my main men. I could play them every other game to keep them happy, but that is not something I would like to do in the long run because I setup my starting lineup based on tactical needs and my opponents. I seriously can't give in to their demands all the time but I don't want to lose them at the same time.

The lack of first team football problem is getting out of hand. You are telling me that starting 3 out of 9 matches are not enough for a defender with rotation status? That is exactly what happened with 3 of my defenders. If 1/3 of the matches are not enough, then how many is "enough"? 50%? If so, then what's the point of having "First Team" and "Key Player" status because you are playing almost as much as my main men. I could play them every other game to keep them happy, but that is not something I would like to do in the long run because I setup my starting lineup based on tactical needs and my opponents. I seriously can't give in to their demands all the time but I don't want to lose them at the same time.

I rotate most of my squad every game on my Salzburg save and I still get players complaining of lack of game time. Clearly 50% isn't even enough.

There seems to be a hugely uneven playing field when it comes to scoring goals. My team absolutely dominates but misses sitters or hits the woodwork every other game. I can actually live with that, it's football. But coupled with the opponents sneaking in a goal with their only shot and their only highlight every other game as well is just BS. Still seeing it happen after 2 different teams in 3 seasons with 4 different tactics.

Put it simply, when it's a highlight of my team's attack the chances of scoring is 30%. When it's the AI it's around 70%. And it's not a matter of the quality of the chances created...my team takes shots with actual clear cut chances, the AI just slams it in. This has never bothered me in past versions but it feels like they've really cranked it up this time.