Raikan007's Possession tactic discussion & creation centre: Hints & Tips

• Thread starter Thread starter Raikan007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 684
  • Views Views 388K
Hi all, great topic.

I've always tried to play possession tactics and when I saw this, naturally I tried the challenge of creating my own.

Iv'e topped the 1000+ successful passes in a match. It is with Barca however who have great passers throughout the team so I don't know yet if the tactics migrate well to different teams (I shall try)

1039 completed passes, 1071 attempted . Clear chances was around 8 I think. Needs some more testing against better opposition, there's a bit of a left side bias and I want to try pushing the passing up field a tad. Away from home however I think its a good tactic to start developing from.

I shall test/tweak a bit more and post back.
brilliant, just brilliant. what's your PI setting? I'm so curious. I always try with my favourite team, Inter Milan but feel the worse everytime

Hi all, great topic.

I've always tried to play possession tactics and when I saw this, naturally I tried the challenge of creating my own.

Iv'e topped the 1000+ successful passes in a match. It is with Barca however who have great passers throughout the team so I don't know yet if the tactics migrate well to different teams (I shall try)

1039 completed passes, 1071 attempted . Clear chances was around 8 I think. Needs some more testing against better opposition, there's a bit of a left side bias and I want to try pushing the passing up field a tad. Away from home however I think its a good tactic to start developing from.

I shall test/tweak a bit more and post back.

WOW !!! Your tactic is so amazing :o !! Could you give me a link ????

WOW !!! Your tactic is so amazing :o !! Could you give me a link ????

how do you know his tactic is amazing? it looks very good! but how do you KNOW it is?

That is the most passess I have seen to date! My total was 902 or something in a match with Ajax vs Partizan in ECL!

I would like to see a few more results as well, however, with a semi smaller team!

Carter, are you planning to upload this?

how do you know his tactic is amazing? it looks very good! but how do you KNOW it is?

That is the most passess I have seen to date! My total was 902 or something in a match with Ajax vs Partizan in ECL!

I would like to see a few more results as well, however, with a semi smaller team!

yes I agree with you! But 1039 completed passes ​​is still amazing! we must look for other results to judge of course! This is the first time I see it too!

Sorry for my English, i'm French.

Yeah, I will share when I get back to my home PC with FM2012.

As, Raikan007 said, this could be a freak result and it is against a poor team. I will test it some more and see what everyone else can do with it. I just don't have a lot of time to dedicate to it at the moment, but everything came from the guidelines Raikan007 wrote and reading other peoples feedback.

carter999

WTF? The passes are amazing. 1039 completed passes make me crazy, and Raikan 902 passes also. My personal record just 803 passes, 83% possession, 94% pass completion with Arsenal vs Blackburn in EPL.

So I think I found my interest back to play FM again. Looking forward for your next posting carter :)

Wow!!!!! Quite amazing.. I just want to make it with my team.. Unfortunate, its not going to work... How can i be a GOOD TACTICIAN MANAGER!!hhahaha:D

Hi all, I'm currently away from home with a work project. I should get back Monday night/Tuesday morning so I'll have access to my FM files then.

A few notes from my experience trying to create a possession tactic though.

• A playmaker did help a lot for me. HOWEVER I found that nearly every opponent man marked him and this really has a big impact on your passing. It is all too frequent that your passes per player can really get cut down just by your playmaker or target man being man marked. As opposed to him being free.
  • I also found that team talks have an impact. It could be coincidence and I haven't looked into it too much. However if my players were "fired-up" or "looked determined" the play would always be better than a team of "relaxed" players. Its probably something people take into account already but just a heads up I you haven't too much.
  • The opposition does have a big impact (pretty obvious I know). A lower league/reputation team is very likely to put 9 or 10 players behind the ball and you can get a number of players 100+ passes and high pass completion which looks great. Yet once you play quality opposition (or an aggressive opposition) passes/possession/completion can be nearly halved.
  • Raikan007's (and other posts here) explanation of tempo is fantastic. Yet I found regardless of passing style (direct or short) a quick tempo didn't result in quick passes around the pitch and a similar style. It just resulted in players kicking it toward the opposition goal very early without passing it around. It could just be my player instructions and them not suiting (or needing tweaking) for a quick tempo, I'm not sure, you guys can try it out soon.
  • The player personal moves is a big part. I have watched a few matches with good possession and then Dani Alves went running all over the place with the ball and lost it (annoying!!!) Raikan007's outline of the PPM's in the OT is perfect to follow. Try to train your players them moves or tutor a younger player by players who have them.
  • If you have the time, watch a full match (I didn't use too I just checked passing analysis at full-time) Just speed it up a bit, and you can really see what's going well and bad, negating the process of blind tweaking between matches (Many of you in here probably do watch matches I just never needed to before becoming possession obsessed)

Just a few points. I shall try to keep up with this thread over the weekend (work permitting) and post anything else I think of.

Cheers!!!

Last edited:
the download link is for this evening carter999?

this is not a thread on carters tactic, this is off topic, if you want to contact him directly kindly send him a PM or write on his page in his profile, thank you!

Raikan how do you like to play a lone striker? I've been using a complete forward and its been great in the build up play, but not scoring nearly enough goals, any ideas?

Raikan how do you like to play a lone striker? I've been using a complete forward and its been great in the build up play, but not scoring nearly enough goals, any ideas?

who are you playing? what settings have you given him? have you asked him to hold up ball and run from deep sometimes? do you have inside forwards cutting in to help him out?

I would have him:

run from deep/run with ball - often
long shots/through balls/cross ball - sometimes
attacking high/freedom normal
moves into channels
direct passing and maybe trying to make him the target man - supply mixed (especially if he is decent at heading)

can someone tell me the player roles

what do you mean? to make a possession tactic? its completely dependent on your players etc!

Adv playmakers/dlp/ball winners/TM's/Cf's are all good ideas and ball playing cb's as well

Not quite related to possession, but I need help none the less.

I am currently trying to build a Mourinho tactic where my team plays defensively, yet manages to get the wins. I am just wondering if anyone could help me with this.

Thanks!

Not quite related to possession, but I need help none the less.

I am currently trying to build a Mourinho tactic where my team plays defensively, yet manages to get the wins. I am just wondering if anyone could help me with this.

Thanks!

all 4 defenders - defend

rigid and control

only 3-4 players on attack, the rest defend! high d line

Back