Raikan007's Possession tactic discussion & creation centre: Hints & Tips

make TM and playmaker pass to feet, short passing, little freedom nothing else except through balls sometimes and have enough support around him to pass to!

right now i make my playmaker to have full creative freedom.. while my other player have a creative freedom around 11 click.. so how much click of creative freedom will u give to the playmaker .. this will be helpful to me..

this thread is just suggestions and guidelines to work from :) run from deep sometimes is actually better :)

roaming is the FREE role and move into channels makes the player find space! they are similar though

roaming should only be given to max 3 players amr aml and st if playing 433! it should be used sparingly!

fb's can be given moves into channels but normal works well too

Thanks for your answers :)
Can you please go into more detailed explenation of what is a free role?
And also, do you use any opposition instructions?

Hi Raikan, Great thread btw. Been Very helpfull so far.
Just a quick question. How do you increase the amount of passes per player. My team seem to average about 35-50 passes each per game. Sometimes less. All the SS iv'e seen players hit nearly double that. More in some cases.
Ill post a SS of my formation and team instructions

View attachment 225455View attachment 225456

way too much creative freedom mate, even for a normal tactic :) CF is better used sparingly.. 11 for playmaker, 3 for others! for possession tactics though

alright.. i will try ur suggestion and will inform u the outcome..

Hi Raikan, Great thread btw. Been Very helpfull so far.
Just a quick question. How do you increase the amount of passes per player. My team seem to average about 35-50 passes each per game. Sometimes less. All the SS iv'e seen players hit nearly double that. More in some cases.
Ill post a SS of my formation and team instructions

View attachment 225455View attachment 225456

hey bud, glad to help!

it all depends on the player instructions :) change to balanced/rigid and control rather! you can use fluid as well!

playing with a playmaker is sometimes counter productive, especially if the team play with a Dm or two... he gets marked out the game!

short passing, no long shots, through balls sometimes, crossing sometimes, moving into channels etc :) tone down all the sliders for each player... then increase through balls to sometimes for some players and work from there :)

Hi Raikan, brilliant thread mate! I suppose I cant complain too much as I’m currently top of the league by a point, but I’m just not scoring enough goals. When I check out the analysis after the game at the passing map, the whole pitch will be covered with arrows...except the opposition penalty box! It’s like I’ve ticked the box that says DO NOT PASS INTO THE BOX J and so im not creating enough chances. I’m getting 60% possession every game but nowhere near enough shots on goal, any thoughts?

Also, I’m struggling with how much creatitivity to give each player in my front 6 ( MC MC, AMR AMC AML, AF) – any advice on this much appreciated.

Once again, great thread!

Hi Raikan, brilliant thread mate! I suppose I cant complain too much as I’m currently top of the league by a point, but I’m just not scoring enough goals. When I check out the analysis after the game at the passing map, the whole pitch will be covered with arrows...except the opposition penalty box! It’s like I’ve ticked the box that says DO NOT PASS INTO THE BOX J and so im not creating enough chances. I’m getting 60% possession every game but nowhere near enough shots on goal, any thoughts?

Also, I’m struggling with how much creatitivity to give each player in my front 6 ( MC MC, AMR AMC AML, AF) – any advice on this much appreciated.

Once again, great thread!

cheers mate, glad to help!

run with ball sometimes will increase chances/crossing and through balls sometimes/often will increase as well but will take down actual passes and a little possession!

only have 3 players max on medium freedom, the rest little to keep to your tactics! one Mc and both Am's at most!

hey bud, glad to help!

it all depends on the player instructions :) change to balanced/rigid and control rather! you can use fluid as well!

playing with a playmaker is sometimes counter productive, especially if the team play with a Dm or two... he gets marked out the game!

short passing, no long shots, through balls sometimes, crossing sometimes, moving into channels etc :) tone down all the sliders for each player... then increase through balls to sometimes for some players and work from there :)

Thanks alot. I'll give that a shoot and post some SS with some results

Sup Raikan,
Thanks for the advice earlier, Helped with my passes alot. getting more now, over 100 for some players on ocassion. Moved the Apm down to the centre and changed him to Dlp and lowered his mentality and the other cm's.
The problem im having now is creating ccc's and chances in general. i'll be dominating games in possesion yet not creating many chances at all let alone ccc's. At first this wasn't a problem as you'll see with some SS ill post but the longer i've played with this tactic the less chances i seem to create.
i'll post some SS of player instructions and stats to help see what the problem could be..

View attachment 225763View attachment 225764View attachment 225765View attachment 225766View attachment 225767

thats the hardest part about making possession tactics mate, is turning it into chances :) keep on going and make a few attacking tweaks here and there to your tactic and you will soon start creating more chances, plus it takes quite a long time to get the team to play exactly like you want them to :) so be patient!

I have a few queries as you seem to have the measure of these sliders.

How come nearly all possession tactics seem to be narrow yet a lot of possession sides seem to play with lots of width; Barca, Swansea, Spurs; am I missing something?

How easy is it to control games and keep possession whilst having a deep(ish) defensive line, more like an AC Milan? High D-lines give me heart trouble but a situation where we invite pressure is even worse.

I have a few queries as you seem to have the measure of these sliders.

How come nearly all possession tactics seem to be narrow yet a lot of possession sides seem to play with lots of width; Barca, Swansea, Spurs; am I missing something?

How easy is it to control games and keep possession whilst having a deep(ish) defensive line, more like an AC Milan? High D-lines give me heart trouble but a situation where we invite pressure is even worse.

the match engine is not 100% yet, some of my tactics I do play wide for possession :)

try it mate :) it will keep the ball around in your own half though, maybe with a quick tempo and through balls it will work

Thanks. I've got a fairly wide, slightly deep tactic working, when it passes a full season, maybe I'll share it. It's not total possession but it usually veers towards 60%.

Last edited:
After reading your post several times i actually understood what you meant.The problem was i didnt play with settings so much just put them and if they worked fine,if not i would have dropped the problem.So i made the touches for possesion,took some of that and convert it into atack.

So i chose the ultimate team for possession = Barcelona

Started a new season ,watched closely friendly matches ,looked for passes made,who made more and why, who made less and why,movement of opposition ,chances , where that chances came from,in basic statistics,only this time with enhanced concentration on certain things, in short i knew what to look for and how to adjust accordingly.

I present you my first official match versus Real Madrid,with Real having the home advantage.
png.gif

I look forward to my next matches .Thank you

Although you are barcelona that is a very impressive away victory against real madrid. Well done mate, i look forward to you uploading this so i can give it a try on my everton save. I am struggling a bit at the minute

I have doubled my passes in mid and defence from my last match,however having difficulties in doing the same for my 3 players in atack.I play a 4-5-1 and i have A.Sanchez in Amr,Villa in Aml,and Messi up front.I cant get them past 20 passes a match.Any suggestion would be most welcomed.

what width and tempo do people use for their possession tactics?

what width and tempo do people use for their possession tactics?

have you read the OP wolfie?

more width equals more space to move and pass but also more space to cover and could tire out players

quicker/slower, I would use quicker and shorter, no one holding up ball, most mids on through balls sometimes

have you read the OP wolfie?

more width equals more space to move and pass but also more space to cover and could tire out players

quicker/slower, I would use quicker and shorter, no one holding up ball, most mids on through balls sometimes

cheers neil. - Quicker/Shorter - Sorry for daft question I know quicker means the tempo but when you say shorter are you referring to the pitch size eg:- playing more narrow?