Raikan007's Possession tactic discussion & creation centre: Hints & Tips

quicker tempo shorter passing

cheers neil I will set all players to pass short (1 click below normal) I will also increase tempo to 1 click below quick and also change the width from 1 click below normal to 1 click below wide.

The current mentalities for the players are the following:-

GK:- 13 clicks from left
FB:- 13 clicks from left
CB(cover):- 11 clicks from left
CB:- 13 clicks from left
CM:- 13 clicks from left
W:- 13 clicks from left
DLF:- 11 clicks from left
P:- 15 clicks from left

I think the mentality for the GK and CB's is too high but not sure what these should be altered too.

Hey Raikan,

Can you rate my passing and tell me how I can improve it even more.
I have been following your tips in this thread but it is hard for me to find the balance in my strategy and my flaws.
I play with a very fluid philosophy and counter - attacking strategy which forces me lose a lot of possession in order to recreate a strategy.

These screens are against a lower reputation teams and I have around 55-60 % possession:
View attachment 232048View attachment 232049View attachment 232050View attachment 232051

I can take screens of the movement and some screens of the passing against better teams (where my possession of the ball is around 40-45 %). What bothers me most is that my full backs are getting involved too much in the creating of the chances, while my ball playing CD is not. Also it seems that my wings do not get involved much, but they look to move into channels in order to get into a 1 on 1 or crossing situation, which is exactly what I want to do. Any advises how to improve my possession without loosing CCCs?

Last edited:
Hi Raikan. I have to congratulate you on your dedication and understnding of what can be a very frustrating game lol I usd to play a while back but left it for a bit and am now confused about 1 thing in particular. Just wondering if you can help? I remember the rule of 2/3 in mentality set up to keep shape back in the day. Does this still apply? I've noticed a big change where now you set the role of a player and this then sets a predetermined setup in mentalility etc for this role, which seems to conflict on the founding 2 to 3 clicks mentality gap I was used to. Would you mind explaining to me the benefits of this new addition or maybe if you scrap it and just custom build your own roles anyway? I personally preferred it when you just placed your dot on the field and then had free reign over what he would do, creating your own roles

Hi Raikan. I have to congratulate you on your dedication and understnding of what can be a very frustrating game lol I usd to play a while back but left it for a bit and am now confused about 1 thing in particular. Just wondering if you can help? I remember the rule of 2/3 in mentality set up to keep shape back in the day. Does this still apply? I've noticed a big change where now you set the role of a player and this then sets a predetermined setup in mentalility etc for this role, which seems to conflict on the founding 2 to 3 clicks mentality gap I was used to. Would you mind explaining to me the benefits of this new addition or maybe if you scrap it and just custom build your own roles anyway? I personally preferred it when you just placed your dot on the field and then had free reign over what he would do, creating your own roles

cheers mate,

I still apply that, you need to set your players closing down sliders manually!

I have my FB's the same, then my CB's alot less closing down, my CM's on the same (3/4) and then my wingers on the same as that so they close down together as a unit

if that is what you asking?

I set every slider manually so the "role" does not really apply if you get what I mean?

Hey Raikan,

Can you rate my passing and tell me how I can improve it even more.
I have been following your tips in this thread but it is hard for me to find the balance in my strategy and my flaws.
I play with a very fluid philosophy and counter - attacking strategy which forces me lose a lot of possession in order to recreate a strategy.

These screens are against a lower reputation teams and I have around 55-60 % possession:

I can take screens of the movement and some screens of the passing against better teams (where my possession of the ball is around 40-45 %). What bothers me most is that my full backs are getting involved too much in the creating of the chances, while my ball playing CD is not. Also it seems that my wings do not get involved much, but they look to move into channels in order to get into a 1 on 1 or crossing situation, which is exactly what I want to do. Any advises how to improve my possession without loosing CCCs?

dont play counter mate, how high is your defensive line? you cant control a game trying to hit on the counter... :)

My D-line is at the mid exactly and I play with 6 mids and no forward. I put on a lot of pressure and my idea is to break early and get into an attacking position as fast as possible. I do have other instructions that ruin my possession like PPMs shoots with power and shoots from distance and my DLP has switches flangs. I play almost wide, rotate between direct and normal passes and play almost quick tempo.

My idea is not to control the whole game, but as much as possible. Would you say that then my team is doing okay with the passing and the possession of the ball with all these non productive instructions I have set?

What is in your mind with the d-line?

its not really a possession tactic you are going for, its a counter attacking, high pressure system that seems to be working for your team :)

what are your team instructions?

I do agree, Raikan. However your tips in this thread has helped me a lot to control the ball much better and have a fluid team that creates a lot of chances although in a quick counter attacking football.

Here are the team instructions, however I have used a lot of player instructions most of them taken from the tips in the starting post:
View attachment 232380

is Maarten a Sweeper Keeper? he would need a little more eccen/rushing out/pace to do that effectively

is Prestia a BPD? more like a Cd - stopper/defender?

Poli more of a DLP?

try Fluid/standard/attack and click the counter attack option :)

Set Jovetic's TM setting to run onto ball or to feet

are you using all defualt settings for the player role's? or have you edited them?

if you have left as defualt make Jovetic IF - attack, you want him running at defenders, not dropping deep as you have a cm support and b2b to help out!

Well you have to keep in mind that I am trying to recreate a strategy and particularly this one - Teams of the Decade #5: Roma, 2007 | Zonal Marking

Maarten is not a SK but he does wonderful for me as such and he was selected 3 times Seria A keeper and was the main GK at the WC Dream Team.

Prestia is my reserve BPD I am training him for years in that position. Munoz is my main bpd, but he is also not that good at it.

Poli, Bertalloci and Pjanic are my 3 b2b mids and the 3 of them have more goals than Jovetic, Torres and Sigurson. They are basically playing the Perrotta role (similar to Lampard) who was a striker first then a mid then a defender. So I need players that can create, finish and destroy at the same time. I think Poli is very suitable for the role. At the other side I have De Rossi who is the motor of the team, giving live to the team with lots of passes and fighting for every ball he also scores occasionally although most of the times I have Borini (the Vucinic role) moving into channels to get in the goal scoring possition.

I will decrease fluidity from very fluid to just fluid and maby change to standart the strategy and put on the counter attacking tick.

Yeah I totally forgot to give the ball on to feet for my trequartista.

I actually want Jovetic dropping deep like Totti did and have my entire team running into channels. However I might change some instructions and PPMs in order to have him run at defenders sometimes, because Totti was not dropping deep all the time.
The basics of how my team attack is Jovetic drops deep and gets a defender chasing him which frees a channel for someone on the team to run on it, or if they do not chase I have a long shot opportunity or a lot of passing opportunities untill I have a channel to give a killer ball. However I do want some balls to Jovetic who can free himself and shoot.

The settings are not default. The team settings are on default and the majority of the player settings are set as you have suggested on the OP.

cheers mate,

I still apply that, you need to set your players closing down sliders manually!

I have my FB's the same, then my CB's alot less closing down, my CM's on the same (3/4) and then my wingers on the same as that so they close down together as a unit

if that is what you asking?

I set every slider manually so the "role" does not really apply if you get what I mean?

Thanks Raikan. Once again, you're a real help with this thing. I'm still just confused as to the mentality. The role has predetermined settings for that role but you can't seem to just swith the role off. I'm just wondering if you change the settings (mentality) manually does that over ride the 'role' setting or does the player still follow that to some point? Maybe I'm not being too clear but I'm slightly confused, obviously lol

Thanks Raikan. Once again, you're a real help with this thing. I'm still just confused as to the mentality. The role has predetermined settings for that role but you can't seem to just swith the role off. I'm just wondering if you change the settings (mentality) manually does that over ride the 'role' setting or does the player still follow that to some point? Maybe I'm not being too clear but I'm slightly confused, obviously lol

All the settings what TC sets for every role is part of the role, its not just about mentality. But if U tick every setting and alter em, then he aint playin that role U have set it, its more like playin with Classic tactics with no preset roles.

cheers for all the advice neil, I think i've finally got the players playing the way I want them too.

hi i have read all you have writen and taken note of alot of it it's made me think more about the different tactics i use , i used to always want to attack with more direct play but this gives you a different side to it. I know you have stated give it atleast 20 games to really work but in 10 games i have drawn 5 , won 3 , lost 2 . which isnt to bad .

Hey Raikan again. Just another question, do possession tactics work well away from home as well. I'm Swansea and im not sure if I should have another gameplan for away matches or keep to the possession tactic. Cheers

Hey Raikan again. Just another question, do possession tactics work well away from home as well. I'm Swansea and im not sure if I should have another gameplan for away matches or keep to the possession tactic. Cheers

most possession tactics dont work nearly as well away from home as they do at home! I suggest keeping to a similar style but allowing players to run with the ball a little more and not try and rack up the passes if you know what I mean

Hi Raikan , i've taken some of what you have said and made my own tactic and its working pretty nice. im trying to upload and share it but its now in a moderation queue so will have to wait and see if it gets posted.
i do have it displyed on my facebook page F-Manager Fans if you want to pop in and have a look.