Raikan007's Possession tactic discussion & creation centre: Hints & Tips

Cheers for the tips mate...I'll put them into practice . width is so hard to play with!but I wanna crack it!

Just a couple more things....

Whats your central defenders roles?im trying to use a bpd defend and a cd defend.

Out interest which do you prefer modern or classic tactics?

And if modern,do you use the shouts from the start (retain,pass to feet etc.)

Mike

Hi Raikan
I need some help if you would be so kind, I have a very strong squad and use a very good 433 with great success but what i am trying to do is make a second tactic that i can use alongside this one that is nothing but possession based. for example if i am 3-0 up with 30 minutes to go i want to change to a tactic that simply keeps the ball away from the opposition for the rest of the game, i dont need it to be able to create ccc's but i dont want to allow the opposition to score or even touch the ball if i can help it:). i have read through this thread and created a few tactics but i cant get it right. so my question is. if i use your barcelona style tactic as a starting block what could i tweek to make it rock solid at the back and squeeze more possession out of it at the expense of ccc'c?

by the way your barca tactic is awesome and i will be using that as 3rd tactic just as it is, some of the passing is amazing to watch

Hi Raikan,

i have created a very successful tactic thanks to you.. i get a lot of possession and score in almost every game.. however i am still passing inside my own half and was wondering how would i make it so i pass in the other half..

Thanks
Batch

Cheers for the tips mate...I'll put them into practice . width is so hard to play with!but I wanna crack it!

Just a couple more things....

Whats your central defenders roles?im trying to use a bpd defend and a cd defend.

Out interest which do you prefer modern or classic tactics?

And if modern,do you use the shouts from the start (retain,pass to feet etc.)

Mike

hey bud, the possession tactic I use the most is classic mode ;) I made it like that for specific reasons!

however, the Cb's are pretty much normal Cb - defend!

I always use shouts ;)

Hi Raikan
I need some help if you would be so kind, I have a very strong squad and use a very good 433 with great success but what i am trying to do is make a second tactic that i can use alongside this one that is nothing but possession based. for example if i am 3-0 up with 30 minutes to go i want to change to a tactic that simply keeps the ball away from the opposition for the rest of the game, i dont need it to be able to create ccc's but i dont want to allow the opposition to score or even touch the ball if i can help it:). i have read through this thread and created a few tactics but i cant get it right. so my question is. if i use your barcelona style tactic as a starting block what could i tweek to make it rock solid at the back and squeeze more possession out of it at the expense of ccc'c?

by the way your barca tactic is awesome and i will be using that as 3rd tactic just as it is, some of the passing is amazing to watch

I'm not an expert, but I think pushing your defensive line further up the pitch could help.

just read this guide and made a tactic for my Liverpool team and i was a bit surprised by the results in the first game vs city. In fairness i have a pretty handy team but city are also fairly good. A very very helpful guide. Excellent work :)View attachment 240109

Hi! I'm thinking at creating a 4-1-4-1 formation. What do you think would work? And how to play? narrow or wide?

glad to help mate :)

Set run from deep to often and run with ball sometimes :) moving into channels!

Thanks for your help mate, I'm 13 games into the season, while getting goals from the wings and CAM have proved difficult, Bent has gone on a roll to score 10 already this season and I went to Man City in the quarter finals of the league cup to win 4-1!

I've created a slightly different away tactic, I tried to use your might and magic tactic but I feel that I didn't have enough in midfield or an able striker to play deep. I've dropped my CAM to CDM and trying to play a little quicker and letting the wingers run with the ball a little more, it's more counter attacking than possession based but will still hopefully hold the ball fairly well. I've just been played off the park at home by Arsenal though, only lost 2-1 but they doubled my amount of shots and I couldn't create any CCCs, I think trying to play possession against Arsenal with a poor passing side was a silly move! I'll post some screenshots when I finally finish the season, hoping to make europe!

Hehe I've done it. It seems that the tactics are working better when are done in classic mode :D. I made a 4-1-2-2-1 tactic with the ST to come in the middle to help at passing. He pass the ball and he comes to finalize :X. Alse he gives around of 40 passes per match.Now what do you suggest me: to play a quick tempo or a slow one? For now I'm thinking to play quick tempo and after I score to go with slow. Or to play only slow? In slow I'm thinking that my players will give more precised passes?

Also I put all players excepting GK on individual training: passing

Last edited:
Hi Raikan,

Sorry I was actually reading all the posts, I gave up on page 27 :) but until there I found some answer's to what I was looking for.

Anyway, going on to my Tactics creation:

1: Hold the fort
2:Creat CCC's
3:possession
4:Win games (@ least most of them)
5:player's requirements on to minimum

The big thing here is that if we watch RLF football and exclude team's like RM/BARCA/MU/BM and some other major European Teams w'll see a lot of football where the main focus of the team is to not concede and in the process score goals. It's like seeing Barça vs RM all over again but without the quality of the players.

I'm now playing a 433 or 4321 it depends on how you see it, I see it as 4-5-1

I already got the possession, above 60% in 90% of the 10 games I played, and I'm glad that have won all, until know :)

I getting what I want in the back, my MDF is working ok, but the ******* that sit's alone in front is usually not there wen I need him, by this, I mean that I've tried all sorts of wide play and he just doesn't get it.

This striker should convenient be a Poacher, cauze they are the easiest ones to find (and that makes part of my mentality for this tactic) but I really would like to put him doing this:

Whenever he runs with ball, he either goes wide and cross or go trough the middle and score (@ least try) or if blocked hold the ball, come deep get them to the mdf's and run to the back of the defense, when not with the ball sit there so he can get the crosses from the wingers.

Never happened, the only 2 or 3 goals that he (or they) scored, came from stilling balls up in the front, so that part is sorted out.

Just a note: if possible I would like an insight that doesn't involve buying a better striker, the main point is for him and the rest of the team to be average. :)

Once I finished this 1st season, I'll leave here the results and the team, btw I'm actually managing in 2B league in Spain with Real Madrid Castilla.

Following advice from this thread and in particular Neil I decided to develop my own possession based tactic. The formation is effectively a 4-1-1-2-2 formation with an anchor man protecting the back 4, a playmaker in the centre of midfield, 2 wingers in the AMR/AML positions and then a deep lying fwd and poacher up front.

As I have a slow defence and also wanted to be reasonably solid in defence I decided to go with a rigid pholosophy with short passing and control strategy, also have zonal marking and also tackling on cautious. I set up my defensive line 1 notch above deep, playing with a narrow width and slow tempo (3 notches from the left) and also time wasting set to 1 notch above deep.

Thanks again neil for all the advice you have given over the past few months. |)

good result against bremen. We are now on 2nd place after Man U in CL. Theres only thing that I dont like about how tactic works. My DCL player BAKARY SARE, during the match sometime he gives a long poor pass to the left wing and I lose the possesion. What can I do to stop him doing this?

Plays short simple passes and Avoids wsing weaker foot

Last edited:
set his freedom a little higher if its set at like 0 as he will just hoof the ball if there is nothing on as he wont use his brain to do anything with it otherwise!

good result against bremen. We are now on 2nd place after Man U in CL. Theres only thing that I dont like about how tactic works. My DCL player BAKARY SARE, during the match sometime he gives a long poor pass to the left wing and I lose the possesion. What can I do to stop him doing this?

Try changing the closing down to 3 notches from the far left. only have your playmaker on a higher creative freedom setting.

Its set on little at one click from normal. I'll change it to normal maybe will work better. Thanks. Also If you could give me just one more advice? :D How much(if you could tell me a no. of clicks? :D) to set the mentality?

Hey Neil :) great stuff, just read through this.

So, I have created two very good possession tactics, using a 4-5-1 with three MC, and also a 4-2-3-1, and I am getting 60%+ possession. However, the amount of passing is incredibly low to what I want it to be, and was hoping you could point me in the direction of getting more passes without sacrificing too much of the possession...

Here is the shapes with team instructions/usual lineups...

1 - the 4-5-1
1TLOj.jpg

2 - the 4-2-3-1
II8ED.jpg

Hi Raikan,

Any idea how to get thr gk to come out of is box with the ball??? I have him as SK Atack with Creative on 0 but he still doesn't get out.

Cheer's