Raikan007's Possession tactic discussion & creation centre: Hints & Tips

Hi Raikan,

Just finished the preseason with Castilla RM with a victory over Malaga, instead of being bulldozed by them my team manage to control the game with 63% of possession 3 ccc's and 1 ww. My question now, if u can help, it's about players! What should I look for?? I have access to RM U'19 so I want to go there and get some wonderkids... but my lack of understanding makes me come here and ask.

Btw Vilas Boas from Malaga just said "Castilla just passed us out of the park" OMG it feell's so good and all thank's to your tip's :)

well done mate :)

I dont know exaclty what you want to do mate? I am not clued up on the Spanish rules of the reserve teams being in the 2nd/3rd tier and the rules of player's etc.. It must act as a feeder club so I am sure Real will drop you down a few... or you can always just request for loans and I am pretty sure they will accept a few...

Hi it is VayMuz again. :)

I have tried and I have come up with a whole new tactic. But it still won't will. I hope that you please can take a look to my tactic!

Thanks in forward.

Excuse me for my poor english, I tried to make possession tactics without success, I can make my team to win the possesion but there are only 100 passes or something like that. I would like you to test my tactic and tell me (here or p.m) whats wrong at it.
thank you, omer.
the tactic

Last edited:
Hello Weber! my curiosity made me check youre possesion tactic and i think that the wrong is you are on direct instead of short passing, tempo and passing fits together, shot passes and slow tempo, think of it as this: fast tempo the players will run up the pitch fast to get to te direct passes and if you are having short passes with fast tempo they will have to run with the ball to get to someone to pass a short ball to. ergo youre direct passes with slow tempo will be more of a "get the ball out" than a possesion. I hope Raikan will correct me if i am wrong ;)

Hello Weber! my curiosity made me check youre possesion tactic and i think that the wrong is you are on direct instead of short passing, tempo and passing fits together, shot passes and slow tempo, think of it as this: fast tempo the players will run up the pitch fast to get to te direct passes and if you are having short passes with fast tempo they will have to run with the ball to get to someone to pass a short ball to. ergo youre direct passes with slow tempo will be more of a "get the ball out" than a possesion. I hope Raikan will correct me if i am wrong ;)
Patrick (?) I have made few changes include what you said and now I get more passes (in my opinion not enough) but my possesion and my results are weaker (I am saying that after 6 matches with the new tactic on athletic bilbao) i've got bad results 5-1 (that was against Real Madrid) 1-1,2-1. and I don't know what to do.
P.S if you want me to upload my "improved" tactic tell me.

Hello Weber! it would be best if you posted your new tactic so that i can see all the changes and come with some tips! i looked over your tactic again and you don't play offside trap?! with a defensive line at 20! you should have fast defenders or play offside trap, when it comes to the poor result against real madrid when i want to play possesion against a stronger team i change my players mentality so they will try to keep the ball but they will do it further down the pitch.
Remember attacking mentality tells your players not only to stay further up the pitch but also to make attacking moves, create a possesion with attacking mentality for when you are stronger and a defensiv tactic for when you are weaker. I play possesion with valencia and going controll against Barcelona i lost 5-0 but i won 2-1 when i played defensive ( the winner was a corner goal:p)

Ok, I had another game against Madrid (I don't know why so many) I tried your advices the passes were good, I controld the game (52-48 not the control I wanted) and I lost 4-0.
Here is the tactic i used:
The tactic

I went over the new tactic and by defensive i ment like 3 or 4 and not 9. I think you might play a bit to narrow and a bit to slow, slow and narrow is the right choice but not to slow, i play 6 in tempo and 7 in width. Check the desicion on your players since zone makring do demand some smart and strict defenders like pepe but man marking in la liga is a terrible idea since they change formations and move out of position all the time so standard i would say. Change the goalkeeper from fast throw to defender collect. Your wingers stay at the line and that is by my point of view bad, have them cut inside or move into channels.
I use the new tactic creator to make a possesion tactic and i think im on the trail of one now with a 3-0 win over barca, if this don't work try using the new creator but don't do it simple, follow my and raikans advice and do some changes to player instruction. remember Real Madrid are masters of counter attack so losing to them as a weaker team is not a big deal, try beating barca, with easy tackling and high pressure and counter ticked they should not be that hard to beat.
Good luck! (try the new creator, controll when stronger and defensive when weaker ;))

Patrick, I tried what you told me and with some of my changes it went well :D (now with malaga) some how in every possession tactic i've tride I lost in the possession to getafe even the ones I downloaded to learn.
Well, the tactic may not give me the absulote control (it givs me 65%, 70% not 80%) I would like to
increase the ammount of passes I make.
Here is my tactic:
The tactic

It looks nice now;) but your winger are still to close to the line by my opinion, i would have them move into channels. When it comes to the passing the only reason i can think of is to have mentality at 1 or 2 at all time. I am thinking of uploading my possesion tactic that i am testing with Real MAdrid but i want to test it with another team first, do you have any suggestions to what team i should test with? I used the new creator and have one defensive, one attacking and one standard tactic.

It looks nice now;) but your winger are still to close to the line by my opinion, i would have them move into channels. When it comes to the passing the only reason i can think of is to have mentality at 1 or 2 at all time. I am thinking of uploading my possesion tactic that i am testing with Real MAdrid but i want to test it with another team first, do you have any suggestions to what team i should test with? I used the new creator and have one defensive, one attacking and one standard tactic.
I didn't get what you trying to tell me in the mark sentence.
I suggest you to try with athletic bilbao and malaga.

I can't because its converted to clasic so the shouts system doesn't work.

OH! thats true;) after the new tactic creator i got used to shouts:)

What i ment was if you have defensive at all times you may get more passes since they will do more defensive passes. Btw if you turn off counter attack they will play safer but you might get bad results. option 1 play defensive. option 2 turn of counter attack. DO NOT try both out at the same time, that may ruin you.

hi Raikan007 i would just like to say a big thank you for this thread with your knowledge i have got my team playing some great possession football your a genius mate

206028d1322482834-short-sweet%99-zenit-v-cska-moscow-cska-moscow_-team-instructions-.png

Currently playing this formation but not with the classic mode using the same team instructions of yours in Ama-Zing™ 4-2-4
used Fluid- Attacking and increased Tempo a tic and used passing more direct.
But I'm confused with the shouts. I'll be much glad if you kindly suggest the best shouts to this tac.
Regards.

I've found the secret to posession with an edge might not be what you think. I started with the philosophy that you need to keep the passing very short and players very close to each other...but all this does is keep you in your own half with the players passing the ball around in defence. I've generally found the easiest way is to manipulate space before even thinking about player instructions ie. placing your players in the holes in your formation - I play with a dmc (middle), mc (slightly to left), amc (slightly to right). This naturally creates space in the midfield with the defence having options to the side with wide aml/amr but also through the middle with your dmc and mc slightly more forward. Then you need to think of where your players will be on the pitch and to adapt your passing to that...If you have it to short then the players will be directed to pass it to the player next to them - generally defender to defender...I have my passing around the last notch of short to a couple over and it seems to create posession with an attacking edge as you instruct players to run off the ball.

I generally learnt this through many frustrating games trying to get the keeper to play it short...The more shorter I made his passing the more he seemed to just hoof it up the pitch...but you have to think where your d-line is on the pitch when your gk is taking his kick...They're not standing right next to him :)

206028d1322482834-short-sweet%99-zenit-v-cska-moscow-cska-moscow_-team-instructions-.png

Currently playing this formation but not with the classic mode using the same team instructions of yours in Ama-Zing™ 4-2-4
used Fluid- Attacking and increased Tempo a tic and used passing more direct.
But I'm confused with the shouts. I'll be much glad if you kindly suggest the best shouts to this tac.
Regards.

retain possession, work ball into box, play out of defence, play through defence, exploit middle :)

I've found the secret to posession with an edge might not be what you think. I started with the philosophy that you need to keep the passing very short and players very close to each other...but all this does is keep you in your own half with the players passing the ball around in defence. I've generally found the easiest way is to manipulate space before even thinking about player instructions ie. placing your players in the holes in your formation - I play with a dmc (middle), mc (slightly to left), amc (slightly to right). This naturally creates space in the midfield with the defence having options to the side with wide aml/amr but also through the middle with your dmc and mc slightly more forward. Then you need to think of where your players will be on the pitch and to adapt your passing to that...If you have it to short then the players will be directed to pass it to the player next to them - generally defender to defender...I have my passing around the last notch of short to a couple over and it seems to create posession with an attacking edge as you instruct players to run off the ball.

I generally learnt this through many frustrating games trying to get the keeper to play it short...The more shorter I made his passing the more he seemed to just hoof it up the pitch...but you have to think where your d-line is on the pitch when your gk is taking his kick...They're not standing right next to him :)

I have been working on something like this for a while, It was very good with my United team but have not tried it out with anyone else besides now :) just used it, added it to tactics the day before the game so it was still only 50% fluid

View attachment 246036View attachment 246037