Raikan007's Possession tactic discussion & creation centre: Hints & Tips

Hi Raikan, thank you for setting up this topic, because I have improved many tactics just by watching your comments to the familiar problems in a possession tactic. But just like the rest of us, I sort of hit a brick wall in my tactic.

Problem 1:
I have never reached a 'score' of passes above the 450'. And when finally achieve alot of passes, the most of them are from the defenders on my own half. I win most of my matches, but I want to reach my goal of an average around 600 passes per game.

Problem 2:
I know the best combination for certain philosophies (slow/narrow, quick/wide). But looking to my tactic, what kind of tweaks would you recommend my, because I have tweaked over twenty matches but I still do not achieve the full controll in ballpossession.

I hope you can help my by take an look to my tactic. I apologize for my English. It ain't my first language. ;)

View attachment 240573

(I know the screen is in an another language namely Dutch, but it is the same order as in English)

Last edited:
Could someone tell me how to set the opposition instructions to automatic?

Its so i dont have to go throu each player myself.

Could someone tell me how to set the opposition instructions to automatic?

Its so i dont have to go throu each player myself.

go to team policy and you can set ur assistant to do opposition instrucions for games by ticking the box

Thanks, I thought thats what it was and i have it ticked but when i got to the opposition intstructions before a game there is no indtructions set. I have to ctrl + A then ask another coach because my assistant is greyed out.

Its set on little at one click from normal. I'll change it to normal maybe will work better. Thanks. Also If you could give me just one more advice? :D How much(if you could tell me a no. of clicks? :D) to set the mentality?

I normally have my centre backs set to 6 clicks from the left - That usually works for me.:)

Hi there,

Up until now I did this

View attachment 240867View attachment 240868View attachment 240869View attachment 240871View attachment 240872View attachment 240873

The stats are from the last game I played, and in the other side there where a team that play's in possession as well.

432 passes it's my biggest achievement :) until now

This castilla team is really poor, and once i got this finalized I will test this philosophy with better team's.

For now I still need to figure out 3 things

1 - offside's - It depends on the game, but I can get as much as 10/15 OS in game, and one the ppm's for my ST in "likes to beat the offside"

2 - Tackling - In most of my game I lose in tackling department sometimes I only get as much as 20% on tackling, is it about the players or is there anything I can change to try to improve that.

3 - Long shot's rarely or sometimes, I've been playing with rarely but then I feel that they only take shot's inside the box, and there's a lot of times that they just play the ball around the box until they lose it.

For next part of the season, I'll try too keep the Instructions as they are, no big changes, as I would like to see them playing with more than 75% on familiarity.

If u wish any more pics from the game/team/Players Inst let me know.

Be aware that all the players have their instructions set manually

Daves

Hi Raikan,

Any idea how to get thr gk to come out of is box with the ball??? I have him as SK Atack with Creative on 0 but he still doesn't get out.

Cheer's

run with ball often! higher freedom as well!

but you don't actually want to do this mate :)

I'm wondering whether it is a problem with the player's mentality rather than the closing down creating this gap. The centre backs have a mentality of 4 notches from the left and also have their closing down set to 4 notches from the left, both centre backs are set to cover, Whereas the centre midfielders have their mentality set to 7 notches from the left and their closing down set to 14 notches from the left.

Thanx :)

Can I ask as well 2 more things?! :)

if u know...

How do I do about offsides I just had 15 in last game, and do u know what can I do to make my players turn away with the ball when they are with their back to the GK?

Thanx again, u have been great :)

Last edited:
Well I just finished my first season with my new possession tactic and I'd call it a massive success!
With Villa I managed to pinch 4th place which is a massive achievement! I got to the League Cup Final but got beaten in extra time. I've found 3 or 4 problems, first is the amount of offsides is shocking, Bent got about 100 in the league alone this season. I also struggle to dominate a lot of teams, even with the lionshare of possession they can have several shots where as I have 1 or 2 and big teams just destroy me most of the time, especially away from home. My defence is really really poor but I've decided to sign better passers of the ball who are pacier to try and counter act the threat of playing a high line. Last but not least, I only had Bent scoring this season, 2nd top scorer was a defender with about 5 goals, but this is a minor thing since Bent is expected to be finishing most moves and I'd rather the chance end up with my out and out striker.

I've got a few screenshots of the league table and my transfers. For some reason the board gave me £12m for January which was nice of them, I have £23m to spend in the summer. Hopefully I can develop it some more and challenge for the title this season! All of this down to Raikan and this brilliant thread helping me build a strong tactic!

View attachment 241276 View attachment 241277 View attachment 241278

Thanx :)

Can I ask as well 2 more things?! :)

if u know...

How do I do about offsides I just had 15 in last game, and do u know what can I do to make my players turn away with the ball when they are with their back to the GK?

Thanx again, u have been great :)

run from deep less (check players PPM's if he likes to beat offside trap) nothing much you can do!

nothing really, run with ball often (and if his PPM has plays with back towards goal) other than that, you cannot do anything :)

Well I just finished my first season with my new possession tactic and I'd call it a massive success!
With Villa I managed to pinch 4th place which is a massive achievement! I got to the League Cup Final but got beaten in extra time. I've found 3 or 4 problems, first is the amount of offsides is shocking, Bent got about 100 in the league alone this season. I also struggle to dominate a lot of teams, even with the lionshare of possession they can have several shots where as I have 1 or 2 and big teams just destroy me most of the time, especially away from home. My defence is really really poor but I've decided to sign better passers of the ball who are pacier to try and counter act the threat of playing a high line. Last but not least, I only had Bent scoring this season, 2nd top scorer was a defender with about 5 goals, but this is a minor thing since Bent is expected to be finishing most moves and I'd rather the chance end up with my out and out striker.

I've got a few screenshots of the league table and my transfers. For some reason the board gave me £12m for January which was nice of them, I have £23m to spend in the summer. Hopefully I can develop it some more and challenge for the title this season! All of this down to Raikan and this brilliant thread helping me build a strong tactic!

View attachment 241276 View attachment 241277 View attachment 241278

well done mate, that is really a good season! agree with Bent, you dont want others scoring, as long as he is finishing the moves your team create thats what you want!

great signing in Alan their, one of my favourite Fm players!

good luck for next seaoson!

away games with possession tactics are very difficult to get right, I noticed playing a very narrow 4231 or 4321 is a good option, was ave about 63-74% possession!

well done mate, that is really a good season! agree with Bent, you dont want others scoring, as long as he is finishing the moves your team create thats what you want!

great signing in Alan their, one of my favourite Fm players!

good luck for next seaoson!

away games with possession tactics are very difficult to get right, I noticed playing a very narrow 4231 or 4321 is a good option, was ave about 63-74% possession!

Cheers, he just had all I needed, creativity and great passing! Was dirt cheap too considering his ability and age!

Thanks, I'll try that, is that with defensive mids or just 2 or 3 centre mids?

Hi Raikan, could you also please check my problem. I would really appreciate it! :)

Hi Raikan, thank you for setting up this topic, because I have improved many tactics just by watching your comments to the familiar problems in a possession tactic. But just like the rest of us, I sort of hit a brick wall in my tactic.

Problem 1:
I have never reached a 'score' of passes above the 450'. And when finally achieve alot of passes, the most of them are from the defenders on my own half. I win most of my matches, but I want to reach my goal of an average around 600 passes per game.

Problem 2:
I know the best combination for certain philosophies (slow/narrow, quick/wide). But looking to my tactic, what kind of tweaks would you recommend my, because I have tweaked over twenty matches but I still do not achieve the full controll in ballpossession.

I hope you can help my by take an look to my tactic. I apologize for my English. It ain't my first language. ;)

View attachment 240573

(I know the screen is in an another language namely Dutch, but it is the same order as in English)

This is my problem! ;)

Hey,

Was wondering if: When playing 3 at the back, two wingers (playing in the middle line of midfield, rather than further up) may be able to offer enough defensive cover on the flanks? Or if a defensive winger or wide mid would have to be used to be able to cover it?

Problem 1:

Problem 2:

I hope you can help my by take an look to my tactic. I apologize for my English. It ain't my first language.
wink.gif

Attachment 240573

decrease the tempo and defensive line :) a little more time wasting and no running with ball settings for anyone, move into channels for all mids

hey bud, I will check out the tactic when I have time I promise :)

good luck!

Hey,

Was wondering if: When playing 3 at the back, two wingers (playing in the middle line of midfield, rather than further up) may be able to offer enough defensive cover on the flanks? Or if a defensive winger or wide mid would have to be used to be able to cover it?

wide mids - support should suffice mate :)

Hi Raikan,

Just finished the preseason with Castilla RM with a victory over Malaga, instead of being bulldozed by them my team manage to control the game with 63% of possession 3 ccc's and 1 ww. My question now, if u can help, it's about players! What should I look for?? I have access to RM U'19 so I want to go there and get some wonderkids... but my lack of understanding makes me come here and ask.

Btw Vilas Boas from Malaga just said "Castilla just passed us out of the park" OMG it feell's so good and all thank's to your tip's :)