Raikan007's Possession tactic discussion & creation centre: Hints & Tips

I'm going to try to make one too. Making tactics is way out of my comfort zone and ive never made a succesful one. I dont know what to do with mentality and the wide of the field. Sorry for my English, im Dutch.

EDIT: My wingers are crossing the ball too often in the box, and this while i put the slider to the left. How is this possible?

Last edited:
I'm going to try to make one too. Making tactics is way out of my comfort zone and ive never made a succesful one. I dont know what to do with mentality and the wide of the field. Sorry for my English, im Dutch.

EDIT: My wingers are crossing the ball too often in the box, and this while i put the slider to the left. How is this possible?

hey bud, just follow a few of the steps in the OP and go from there :)

if they are crossing a lot and crossing is set to never, either increase their creative freedom or decrease it (depends on what you have it on now)

good luck

Hey Raikan, would you agree that playing a high pressure game with a high d-line, pressing and no tide marking on the CB's will in general give you a better possession of the ball, because you are forcing the opposite team to play the ball quickly and make a mistake?

Hey Raikan, would you agree that playing a high pressure game with a high d-line, pressing and no tide marking on the CB's will in general give you a better possession of the ball, because you are forcing the opposite team to play the ball quickly and make a mistake?

yes that is the idea, however, if you play against a team like Barca/Arsenal etc who have technically gifted players/passers like Iniesta/Wilshere etc etc they will/can open you up very quickly...

so be careful of that! pressing like that will work much better against a team like Stoke/Bolton etc, they will normally just hoof the ball upfield :)

Hey, I've used this guide for a team in 2019, I usually get 65%+ possession but the number of passes is around the 400 mark. How do I increase the number of passes as a rule of thumb? If you need more info I'll be happy to upload some screenshots

Hey, I've used this guide for a team in 2019, I usually get 65%+ possession but the number of passes is around the 400 mark. How do I increase the number of passes as a rule of thumb? If you need more info I'll be happy to upload some screenshots

slow the temp down, take off run with ball and long shots completely, make the players move into channels and have little creative freedom and low attacking mentality :)

Hey, I have a question. Say my team is going up against Real Madrid what tactics would you suggest. Should I press more, tackle hard, play quick or slow, narrow or wide, high defensive line? I was also wondering should I set all my midfielders, wingers & striker to move into channels and should I give them more or less creative freedom?
Thanking you in advance for any information!!View attachment 250135

slow the temp down, take off run with ball and long shots completely, make the players move into channels and have little creative freedom and low attacking mentality :)

Okay thanks, where do you recommend the tempo should be? It was maxed on quickly before, should it be quick but on the border or just plain slow?

when you create a tactic and on you're saved images the layout is different, am I stupid to ask why this is?

question

my earlier question may have been a bit confusing so basically the look and layout of how you create tactics is different to mine and I was wondering whether it makes a difference if you have it either way and how you get it that way to create my tactics?

when you create a tactic and on you're saved images the layout is different, am I stupid to ask why this is?

I have many tactics that I use mate :) some are available to download (short and sweet/ccc possession etc) and some are just testers that I upload!

Hey, i was thinking let me make my own tactic with a relegation battling team as it is easy.
So i thought i would try 4231 with possesion, ive played around 10 matches, only 2 out of 17 goals came from my strikers, Odemwingie and Shane Long, one each. I use them as complete forward, and i dont know how i can make them score!

Hey, i was thinking let me make my own tactic with a relegation battling team as it is easy.
So i thought i would try 4231 with possesion, ive played around 10 matches, only 2 out of 17 goals came from my strikers, Odemwingie and Shane Long, one each. I use them as complete forward, and i dont know how i can make them score!

what are your instructions mate?

I play Control/Offensive
I have made the passing short on ALL players but still my long passes are bad?!
I never said that they should toss the ball away!
Shouts i use:The ones you have shown in the first page
Btw, do you think my wingers would be better as Inside Forward as they are the only ones in my team that scores? Targetman: My striker, and crosses etc, should be to feetBut how can i prevent them from longpasses or passing the ball to the opponents foot?

Last edited:
I play Control/Offensive
I have made the passing short on ALL players but still my long passes are bad?!
I never said that they should toss the ball away!
Shouts i use:The ones you have shown in the first page
Btw, do you think my wingers would be better as Inside Forward as they are the only ones in my team that scores? Targetman: My striker, and crosses etc, should be to feetBut how can i prevent them from longpasses or passing the ball to the opponents foot?

how much freedom are you giving the players that hoof the ball away? what instructions are you using for them?

They are all supposed to run from deep(Striker, wingers, offensive midfield)
Passes all short
Run with ball, my striker has often, rest has it in the middle
Philosophy: balanced
Strategy: Offensive/Balanced
Passingstyle: Shorter
Creative freedom: Standard
And btw the players ALL have the freedom they started with, i think the problem is there...
EDIT:I played a match drew 2-2 away v Blackburn.
The worst passes was my defenders
The best passers were my DLP(Daniel Jensen) and Ball winning midfielder(Mohammed Diame)
DLP: 31 out of 35Ball winning: 29 out of 33
had not one clear chance!

Last edited:
So Raikon I sat down and had a good read of your hints and tips and truly it helped a lot :D I recreated my possession tactic and instantly the difference could be seen. I was passing, making chances and scoring them... well three. This match against West Brom was my first match with the new thought out style so not expecting massive passing etc but it shows potential, 359 completed not bad for the first day.

Adam Johnson though weirdly was not involved in the match despite having the same instructions as Ben Arfa :S any suggestions how to get him involved because that amount of passes is just WOAH I mean it could be down to Ben arfa being allowed more creative freedom? but tell me what would you suggest

View attachment 251524View attachment 251525View attachment 251526

This is all the stats etc including my formation and roles. Tiote and Cisse are out on international duty btw so that's where they are ;) Any suggestions would be much appreciated :D you are the Pepe of tactics

EDIT: i fixed adam johnson, by which i mean i sold him in the summer and bought scott sinclair who is a lot more involved on the left wing ;) turns out that problem was down to shear laziness

Last edited:
How exactly would I go about getting a player to be the main distributor of the ball and get lots of passes? Usually the highest one of my players can get is 40, even when playing with Barcelona. I've always set the desired play as the playmaker and a target man with a ball to feet option, but it doesn't really seem to help.