Raikan007's Possession tactic discussion & creation centre: Hints & Tips

• Thread starter Thread starter Raikan007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 684
  • Views Views 387K
How exactly would I go about getting a player to be the main distributor of the ball and get lots of passes? Usually the highest one of my players can get is 40, even when playing with Barcelona. I've always set the desired play as the playmaker and a target man with a ball to feet option, but it doesn't really seem to help.

hey bud,

there are a lot of factors than just those too.. try and tone down the attacking/creative sliders to normal, no running with ball, no long shots, through balls sometimes, moves into channels, run from deep sometimes, cross ball never, short passing, high closing down..

PPM's: dictates tempo, plays short simple passes/stops play/plays one two's are all good to have for possession tactics :)

see the setting for the CM in this tactic, that is a good starting point for yours ;)

Short and Sweet™ - Downloads - Football Manager 2012 Tactics, Wonderkids & Cheats

Hey raikan,
I have created a possesion tactic using the 4-3-3 (4-5-1) whatever you want to call it. I am doing really well and getting average of70-80% against lower teams and minus 10% for each of those numbers and you getting average amount of possesion against stronger teams. I have created a trio of passers which are my DM and my 2 CB's it is working extremely well with them holding the ball up then quickly wipping it out to my attacking FB's making audacious runs down the wings. I took a lot of advice from this thread but i still can't seeem to get more then 400 passes a game. Any ideas?
thanks

Hey raikan,
I have created a possesion tactic using the 4-3-3 (4-5-1) whatever you want to call it. I am doing really well and getting average of70-80% against lower teams and minus 10% for each of those numbers and you getting average amount of possesion against stronger teams. I have created a trio of passers which are my DM and my 2 CB's it is working extremely well with them holding the ball up then quickly wipping it out to my attacking FB's making audacious runs down the wings. I took a lot of advice from this thread but i still can't seeem to get more then 400 passes a game. Any ideas?
thanks

play at a slower tempo, if you want more passes, dont make your FB's so attacking, ask them to hold up the ball as well, run from deep often but no running with ball.. ask them to hug touchline to provide extra width maybe and play wider touchline shout :)

play at a slower tempo, if you want more passes, dont make your FB's so attacking, ask them to hold up the ball as well, run from deep often but no running with ball.. ask them to hug touchline to provide extra width maybe and play wider touchline shout :)

ok ill try that

hey raikan :D
i use this guide on your "amazing AMC" tactics, and it's amazingly great :D
on my man utd save i beat AC milan 6-2 at home :D

Great thread. 28 pages in and still learning stuff :)

I had a quick question about possession tactics.

Been playing as Ajax. I've developed my own 4-1-3-2 tactics and 4-1-2-1-2 that have been highly effective for me.

Am now experimenting with 4-3-3 (or 4-5-1 depending on how you look at it), with DM, 2 CM's, AMR, AML and a central striker

Have been creating lots of clear cut chances, but the possession stats are still pretty low

I have 2 challenges i'd love people's views on

1) Pass completion for most players is > 80%. Apart from goalkeeper - who is about 40% :(. Assume I really need a new keeper? I bought Yann Sommer who has been great, but this is one area he seems to be bad in. As a result its pulling my defensive line pass completion rate down to ~57%

2) A lot of my possession is CB>DM rather than DM>CM. As a result most of the possession is on the halfway line rather than in the opponent's half / outside their box. Any views on how I shift possession higher up the pitch?

My CM's have dribbling > 15, and good off the ball, so i've set them to
Run with ball = sometimes.
Run from deep = sometimes (always for one of them) and try through balls = often

I assume if I set run with ball to Rarely, and back away from run from deep and reduce through balls then this may help? Won't this also reduce the number of chances I create?

Thanks

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I can't seem to get more that a total of 300 passes per game max! I'm playing Man Utd and am at the end of december in my first season. I've tried Raikan's tactics and tried to tweak a few things, but none of it will work... Does anyone have any suggestion?
In the last SS, you can see the tactic I currently use... With most individual instructions based on Raikan's own...

your problem already just by looking is that you are playing quick and wide.. that is not possession mate :) narrow it down a little and slow it down a lot!

I agree with Raikan. BUt I find a wide setting to be useful to use when playing possession game with a narrow tactic, such as 4-1-2-1-2 with no wingers. Or it to be set on normal based on what opponent and pitch. Outnumbering the opponents in the middle I think is the key to be able to hold the ball effectivly while stretching the opponents defence with wingers or two mobile attackers that moves into channels.

A big weakness for a possession tactisc, since many have their defender play short passest, is that a high pressing team will disrupt your game easy and get the ball high up in your ahlf, unless your team is very very good. Being aware of the opponents press is vital, sometimes its useful to let the defenders use a more longer passing game to get the ball to midfielders quickly in order to not lose the ball deep down on your own half.

Last edited:
My mistake

your problem already just by looking is that you are playing quick and wide.. that is not possession mate :) narrow it down a little and slow it down a lot!

My bad! Silly mistake from me... I got confused because on your tactical discussion thread, you mention the fact that playing wide and quick can help possession. I suppose that depends on the formation used? WiffGiff mentions 4-1-2-1-2, which I often use in relatively easy or sometimes even away home games. That's just because I love the idea of unleashing both Rooney and Chicha on opposition defenses. :D But I use two wide midfielders instead of narrow ones.

I adapted your team and individual instructions from the short and sweet tactic with this formation and did achieve 500 passes, which is a clear improvement. Sven Bender, my defensive midfielder completed 70 passes and my AMC was in that same bracket. In the first half, I averaged 80% possession! By far the most impressive I've achieved up till now. Possession for whole game was 75%, as I followed your advice later in the game on "run with ball" and "through ball" instructions for AMC and wide players to create more chances. I switched to 4-2-3-1 for last twenty minutes to test it and it worked pretty well too.

One thing though: I created 5 CCCs. Do you consider that as a good number?

My CBs did not get that many passes, which is a good thing, but Evra was the one who made the most passes. Is there a way to shift the focus of play further? I did set the passing focus to "exploit the middle"...

I've been frustrated a few times with the high pressing teams and it gives you too many passes back to the GK who just lurches it up front to be lost to the opposite defenders... So I'll keep your tactic in mind when such situations arise. Do you change the instructions for whole defense or only the CBs?

yeah its really good for a possession tactic mate :)

keep it up!

you dont want your CB's to get that many passes though, you want them to sit on half way and let the mids pass it around, you can use that yes :)

I will download your tactic Raikan after work and see how it looks like and how it works with my Inter. Players I have there is following:

GK: Viviano
LB: Fabio
CB: Papadopolous
CB: Ranocchia
RB: Zafer Keles (Amazing Newgen)
DM: Busquets
CM: Ganso
CM: Hamsik
AM: Pastore
CF: Neymar
CF: Tevez

Lets see if they can make it work. However my two CBs, they donät have good passing stats. So I am not sure if they are capable to deliver the ball, without many mistakes, to the midfield. We'll see.

A thing I do want to try, which is a bit like Barca does, is to make my backline very wide when the team has the ball, in order to create space in the buildup so that the goalkeeper wont shoot the ball away, or have the issue of loosing the ball to easy. I think setting the CBs on moving in to channels or hug touchline can achieve this, the same thing with fullbacks which I want to be pushed up high up the field. This requires that the DM have a defensive mentality of course.

I have not tried it but I wonder if this actually can be effectful. I should maybe set the CB:s to hold up the ball like the DM in order to let the team get in positiion in time before they pass.

Last edited:
just remember, this is not about any of my tactics, this is a discussion thread about possession tactics in general :)

good luck :)

you can set the fullbacks to HUG TOUCHLINE if you like to allow for added width and ask your CB's to play through balls!

Set keepers passing to SHORT and set him to distribute to your best passing centreback

I just am intrested in your tactic, use it as a base since it apperently is quite good, or very good acctually. I made an own which works well but I dont reach that super high level of possession. So I will see what instructions you use eaxctly and compare it to my own.

Another thought, can a possession tactic work with a low tier team or a semiprofessional club? The risk is that it might work to hold the ball within the team, but few chances are created.

I want to report a game made ​​with my tactic (the basic is raikan's tactic but I very much upset, putting 3 playmaker at midfielder( busquets, iniesta, xavi) and 3 in attack (put, Afellay, villa)

These are impressive statistics at the beginning of the second time!:

And these are the final statistics:

My personal record: 980 passages and 85% ball possession!

Last edited:
Back