Raikan007's Possession tactic discussion & creation centre: Hints & Tips

help needed,Hummels gets 100 passes while Ramsey/Hamsik get about 50,why do the defenders keep passing the ball beetween themselves,I tried everything,set theyre mentality to attacking and creative freedom to low and they still have 70+ passes?

maybe set their passing style from short to mixed, or to long, or why don't you set your goal keeper to distribute to your midfielder. could increase the tempo to quicker, or play a more direct style, it would hurt your possession stats but you'll have the ball further up the pitch.

help needed,Hummels gets 100 passes while Ramsey/Hamsik get about 50,why do the defenders keep passing the ball beetween themselves,I tried everything,set theyre mentality to attacking and creative freedom to low and they still have 70+ passes?

Same problem here! Evra/Rafael will get 70+ passes. Best I got from CMs was around 50 passes... Can't seem to find a solution yet. Anyone?

maybe set their passing style from short to mixed, or to long, or why don't you set your goal keeper to distribute to your midfielder. could increase the tempo to quicker, or play a more direct style, it would hurt your possession stats but you'll have the ball further up the pitch. or set the shouts to get the ball forward.

maybe set their passing style from short to mixed, or to long, or why don't you set your goal keeper to distribute to your midfielder. could increase the tempo to quicker, or play a more direct style, it would hurt your possession stats but you'll have the ball further up the pitch.

The mixed passing looks like a reasonable solution. I've been thinking about trying it, but was hoping that the numbers of passes by defenders would get down as the team gets more familiar with the tactic. Seeing as it hasn't, it's about time to change something I guess.
However, I've already tried changing tempo and it REALLY hurts possession...

to answer all your questions:

1) set defenders through balls to never, set everything to never, defensive!
2) set your fullbacks to run from deep often!
3) set gk to distribute to the full backs rather than the cb
4) set your DM or CM's to play through balls sometimes
5) set your defensive line high up and use play out of defence shouts
6) play offside trap, you dont have to worry about increasing tempo etc.. just have your CM as Playmaker and the other CM as target man ball to feet (if playing 442 or 433 etc)

Can anyone help with making my team more dangerous in the final third ? I keep possession really well but my players tend to dwell on the ball especially my wingbacks and inside forwards, any help ?
And has anyone been able to play a possessin based game with a league 2 team or equivalent because I hate 442 with a target man and poacher !

Also has anyone found a way to get their midfielders more on the ball ? cant get past 40/50 passes at the moment, same with my front 3

Last edited:
Your SS in the OP is just a strong team vs weak team so it's rather easy to get lots of possession ..I'm interested to see if it's possible to get 60%+ possession vs a team that is the same level or even stronger ..And you say that you don't have to play narrow, slow and pass through middle to get possession but why in your 4-2-3-1 above you have your team to play through middle, slow and narrow??
And also does anybody know how to get most possession in opposition's area.. I think this is the hardest thing to do..I don't have problem with possession but the player seems afraid to pass forward so I have lots of ball in my own area, especially vs strong teams.. I've played offside and max defensive line, roaming, move into channel etc...If anyone could help it will be great!

Your SS in the OP is just a strong team vs weak team so it's rather easy to get lots of possession ..I'm interested to see if it's possible to get 60%+ possession vs a team that is the same level or even stronger ..And you say that you don't have to play narrow, slow and pass through middle to get possession but why in your 4-2-3-1 above you have your team to play through middle, slow and narrow??
And also does anybody know how to get most possession in opposition's area.. I think this is the hardest thing to do..I don't have problem with possession but the player seems afraid to pass forward so I have lots of ball in my own area, especially vs strong teams.. I've played offside and max defensive line, roaming, move into channel etc...If anyone could help it will be great!

View attachment 258877

View attachment 258877

For a control strategy would tempo set to 13 (1 notch below quick) and width 1 notch below wide be too quick/wide? The focus passing is mixed. I'm also playing on the widest pitch that is available - I'm thinking of also telling my full backs to RFD(often) and RWB(sometimes) and hug the touchline to take advantage of the wide pitch.

Just made a 4-4-1-1 tactic with Tottenham. Hoping to get a lot of possession while making CCC :) will let you know how it goes

For a control strategy would tempo set to 13 (1 notch below quick) and width 1 notch below wide be too quick/wide? The focus passing is mixed. I'm also playing on the widest pitch that is available - I'm thinking of also telling my full backs to RFD(often) and RWB(sometimes) and hug the touchline to take advantage of the wide pitch.

yes it would be mate, well... if you want over like 150 passes then YES if you want possession but want to also create chances then NO! if playing quick and wide, players have to be moving off the ball every time they pass which means that run from deep - often needs to be for most players above defence and roaming needs to be for the wingers/cm's and strikers etc..

having players with comes deep PPM will also help create spaces over and above the above settings :)

hug touchline does not work with FB's.. normal or even Moves into channels is what needs to be used :) set to RFD often but RWB sometimes if you want to create more chances but give up the amount of passes you create :)

racking up passes is easy, creating chances while doing it is hard, so in order to create chances, you have to sacrifice passes.. get what I mean?

hope that helps and clears up a few things :)

yes it would be mate, well... if you want over like 150 passes then YES if you want possession but want to also create chances then NO! if playing quick and wide, players have to be moving off the ball every time they pass which means that run from deep - often needs to be for most players above defence and roaming needs to be for the wingers/cm's and strikers etc..

having players with comes deep PPM will also help create spaces over and above the above settings :)

hug touchline does not work with FB's.. normal or even Moves into channels is what needs to be used :) set to RFD often but RWB sometimes if you want to create more chances but give up the amount of passes you create :)

racking up passes is easy, creating chances while doing it is hard, so in order to create chances, you have to sacrifice passes.. get what I mean?

hope that helps and clears up a few things :)

Thanks mate thats made things more clear. I will alter the full backs to move into channels rather than hug touchline. I've also got the Full Backs, Wingers and Forwards crossing sometimes. Roaming I've given to the wingers, playmaker and deep lying forward but have told the poacher not to roam. By playing slightly wider would this affect the short passing - I've currently got this on the boarder of short/normal - or is this helped now that the full backs, wingers, playmaker and forwards are moving into channels. Because of the quicker tempo I've also removed hold up ball option from my more defensive midfielder and DLF.

With regards to mentality am I right in assuming that the players should be a maximum of 3-4 notches away from each other - just to clear this up because I may have explained this wrong:-

Centre Back - Mentality 5
Full Back - Mentality 8
Centre Mid(defend) - Mentality 6
Centre Mid(support) - Mentality 10
Wingers (support) - Mentality 14
DLF(support) - Mentality 10
P (attack) - Mentality 14

Just thought I'd say great thread, its helped a lot, i implemented a possession based tactics 20ish games before the end of my first season, and started to see some real results. However, on starting a new season, I am playing terribly, not getting the possession i want or even creating any chances. I wonder if you could help me out a tad, i'm at a loss lol. Here are a couple of screen shots.

TeamInstructions.png

AMC.png

Brown.png

hately.png

my keeper distributes to my RB, who is my best passing defender, (only a 13, but still the best).

Any help would be appreciated at all.

Hey Raikan007, loving that Short and Sweet tactic you created inspired me to re-create an offensive 3-4-3 very similar to what the Holland national team implemented to great success in the 70s. While my tactic has a greater possesion yield both home and away then your short and sweet my playmaker does not rack up as many passes. Anyway i digress, im new to this forum posting and creating tactics scene, so was wondering if you could give me a hand sorting out my own tactic. it is rather successfull and i only conceded from set pieces, zero from open play, this season was played with Arsenal. Also created on average 4-5 ccc every game along with never dipping under 70% possesion both home and away. Anyway im digressing again!!! basicallly can you help me out with the set piece defending aspect and send it back to me :), you would then be more than welcome to share the tactic as you please under your name with my fulll permission. make all those possesion fm players happy. PS it is not a small team tactic tried it with swansea and west ham. Swansea i would still dominate possesion against man u and man city but would draw games 3-3, even a couple of 4-4s just from sillyh mistakes made from below world class players. west ham was great till cup time came round and i would get taken down a dark alley by the bigger teams and have unmentionable things done to me :p. if your intrested i can either email it to you or send it as a message on this fm base thing, i think. if not can anyone else help me with ****** set pieces? cheers

Hey IanLewis16 have you thought about changing some player roles, maybe have one cm as a DLP with a low defensive mentality and runs set to rarely with normal wideplay? then have the other cm as a box to box cm set with forward runs sometimes and everything else as rarely with a higher mentality aswell. this will stager your midfield and in general provide more options for your players to pass. also ensure your wingers have everything set to rarely and short passing along with a mentality equivelent to ur amc. Plus dude half of possesion is actually getting the ball back!! i try to implement a barcelona esque 7 second rule :p basically hassle opponents into making mistakes. this is achieved by pressing throughout the the team but in a staggerd way. eg AML/AMC/AMR/ST all on full pressing. both cms slightly lower pressing, say two notches. then back four on equivelent pressing say last notch of own half/or first notch of whole pitch. ensure that AML is marking oppposing DR, AMR to mark DL, ST to either DC and tackling on hard and tight for attacking players and normal and loose for your back 4. if you implement that and dont let ur DLF run with ball you will be enjoying some more possesion, but on the other side of the coin u will create less chances. maybe think about a more narrow formation, along with a slow tempo and small home pitch. if this doesnt work i can send you my 4-2-3-1, not as good as Raikans' for possesion but it did the job for my Everton team, even got cahil to 148 passes against arsenal :) and rivaldo got 208 in a friendly!!! anyway good on you for managing leeds!! i supppose someone has to try and restore their former glory :)

View attachment 259212 Just reloaded an old save :) implemented my 5-1-3-1 Tactic and demolished Recreativo!!! i must stress before people start hating that yes this is in my third year of managing Barca and yes i have a large majority of the very technically gifted players in the game but hey made me happy :).

Hey IanLewis16 have you thought about changing some player roles, maybe have one cm as a DLP with a low defensive mentality and runs set to rarely with normal wideplay? then have the other cm as a box to box cm set with forward runs sometimes and everything else as rarely with a higher mentality aswell. this will stager your midfield and in general provide more options for your players to pass. also ensure your wingers have everything set to rarely and short passing along with a mentality equivelent to ur amc. Plus dude half of possesion is actually getting the ball back!! i try to implement a barcelona esque 7 second rule :p basically hassle opponents into making mistakes. this is achieved by pressing throughout the the team but in a staggerd way. eg AML/AMC/AMR/ST all on full pressing. both cms slightly lower pressing, say two notches. then back four on equivelent pressing say last notch of own half/or first notch of whole pitch. ensure that AML is marking oppposing DR, AMR to mark DL, ST to either DC and tackling on hard and tight for attacking players and normal and loose for your back 4. if you implement that and dont let ur DLF run with ball you will be enjoying some more possesion, but on the other side of the coin u will create less chances. maybe think about a more narrow formation, along with a slow tempo and small home pitch. if this doesnt work i can send you my 4-2-3-1, not as good as Raikans' for possesion but it did the job for my Everton team, even got cahil to 148 passes against arsenal :) and rivaldo got 208 in a friendly!!! anyway good on you for managing leeds!! i supppose someone has to try and restore their former glory :)

cheers bro, i've implemented all your advice, we'll see what happens. I'd be interested in seeing your tactic too if you wouldn't mind though, always eager to learn.

cheers bro, i've implemented all your advice, we'll see what happens. I'd be interested in seeing your tactic too if you wouldn't mind though, always eager to learn.

No probs man, cant seem to send you my tactic on private message, i tell you what tho il google how to upload the file on a free cloud storage site and il give you the link :), probs be tomorrow at some point or private message me ur email and il send you the tactic!! which one do u want? 5-1-3-1? or 4-2-3-1? or 3-4-3?