Raikan007's Possession tactic discussion & creation centre: Hints & Tips

LOL, just thought I'd share this. 2nd game after i took on board your advice, made a couple more tweaks and this.

Needless to say possession isn't really an issue at the moment ;)

vsunited.png

Hey Raikan007, loving that Short and Sweet tactic you created inspired me to re-create an offensive 3-4-3 very similar to what the Holland national team implemented to great success in the 70s. While my tactic has a greater possesion yield both home and away then your short and sweet my playmaker does not rack up as many passes. Anyway i digress, im new to this forum posting and creating tactics scene, so was wondering if you could give me a hand sorting out my own tactic. it is rather successfull and i only conceded from set pieces, zero from open play, this season was played with Arsenal. Also created on average 4-5 ccc every game along with never dipping under 70% possesion both home and away. Anyway im digressing again!!! basicallly can you help me out with the set piece defending aspect and send it back to me :), you would then be more than welcome to share the tactic as you please under your name with my fulll permission. make all those possesion fm players happy. PS it is not a small team tactic tried it with swansea and west ham. Swansea i would still dominate possesion against man u and man city but would draw games 3-3, even a couple of 4-4s just from sillyh mistakes made from below world class players. west ham was great till cup time came round and i would get taken down a dark alley by the bigger teams and have unmentionable things done to me :p. if your intrested i can either email it to you or send it as a message on this fm base thing, i think. if not can anyone else help me with ****** set pieces? cheers

hey bud, glad to hear its going very well!

set pieces just need to be set up tall player mark tall player, fullbacks on the line/posts and keep at least 3 player back at all times when defending :)

View attachment 259212 Just reloaded an old save :) implemented my 5-1-3-1 Tactic and demolished Recreativo!!! i must stress before people start hating that yes this is in my third year of managing Barca and yes i have a large majority of the very technically gifted players in the game but hey made me happy :).

that looks very good mate, I highly suggest just uploading it :) I will never take credit for anyones tactic besides my own :)

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=add&cat=160

upload it there, then start a new thread in the tactics section, put in a good complete opening post, you are more than welcome to use the templates I use as it is neat and comprehensive :)

then link the tactic and get feedback etc :) its the way to start! if you the tactic works even half as good as the above SS you should quickly become known!

if you want me to upload it (as it gets done immediately as I am a mod, you will take about 48 hours to get it screened and accepted) let me know ;) will gladly upload it for you (it asks the author etc etc so of course that will all be your info etc :)

that looks very good mate, I highly suggest just uploading it :) I will never take credit for anyones tactic besides my own :)

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=add&cat=160

upload it there, then start a new thread in the tactics section, put in a good complete opening post, you are more than welcome to use the templates I use as it is neat and comprehensive :)

then link the tactic and get feedback etc :) its the way to start! if you the tactic works even half as good as the above SS you should quickly become known!

if you want me to upload it (as it gets done immediately as I am a mod, you will take about 48 hours to get it screened and accepted) let me know ;) will gladly upload it for you (it asks the author etc etc so of course that will all be your info etc :)

Cool that 5-1-3-1 is great for passing stats and possesion but hardly creates any goals :(, il upload it and your more than welcome to post it on my behalf. il take your advice and do a thread for my 3-4-3, maybe get some nice historical stats and see if my ajax team can emulate the success coach rinus michels had with ajax :)

i need some advice for playing away from home. As you said Raik (and as i have discovered), possession tactics do not work away. Any advice for tweaks? Or should I just design a completely new tactic?

i need some advice for playing away from home. As you said Raik (and as i have discovered), possession tactics do not work away. Any advice for tweaks? Or should I just design a completely new tactic?

Hey sorry to intrude but did you get my email?? my tactic normally works quite well away from home aswell, have a look!! if not i suggest making a new tactic, where all your players are bunched in the middle of the pitch.

Hey sorry to intrude but did you get my email?? my tactic normally works quite well away from home aswell, have a look!! if not i suggest making a new tactic, where all your players are bunched in the middle of the pitch.

I just have imported. I'm going to give your tactic a whirl solely just away from home for a while. See how it goes. I'll post some screen shots. Thanks bro

Can anyone help with making my team more dangerous in the final third ? I keep possession really well but my players tend to dwell on the ball especially my wingbacks and inside forwards, any help ?
And has anyone been able to play a possessin based game with a league 2 team or equivalent because I hate 442 with a target man and poacher !

Also has anyone found a way to get their midfielders more on the ball ? cant get past 40/50 passes at the moment, same with my front 3​

Last edited by johnbundock; 6 Days Ago at 03:00 PM.​

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/editpost.php?p=1552103&do=editpost

Hi Raikan007, I have read several posts inhere but it only confuses me more the futher I read on lol.

I have played with your short and sweet and that motivated me to start developing my own tactics.

To start with...I know nothing about soccer irl yet I do love playing FM and learned a thing or 2 about soccer by just playing FM.

Like most of us we love the way Barca plays, the thing I like the most is the false striker they use, yet I am unable to re-create the false striker in any tactic so far.

That and the fact that I find loads of interesting midfielders lead me to start creating a 4-6-0 tactic.
defensive line: full back (support)-central defende (defense)-central defender(defense)-full back (support)-

central midfield line: playmaker in front of defense (support)-advanced playmaker (attacking)- advanced playmaker (support)

attacking midfield line: advanced playmaker (attacking)- attacking midfielder (attacking)- advanced playmaker (attacking)

Now I am hoping that you (or others) could help me with the folowing:

- The idea behind this tactic is that when the opponent has possession the team takes the opponents "position game" on (excuse my bad english) so that every opponent player is closely covered and by so reducing availability to receive the ball BUT when recovering reverts to the team tactic, meaning 4-6-0.

- The team has to (try to) recover the ball before it passes the mid line.

Unless I am mistaken these 2 are mainly defensive settings, but I am unable to find the correct settings.

Note: I had a 4-6-0 tactic (removed from system due to system recovery :mad:) in which I had 80% possesion and 20-25 passes avarage per player with de Graafschap against Vitesse in which I ruled on their half...unable to recreate that atm :mad:

Last edited:
Can anyone help with making my team more dangerous in the final third ? I keep possession really well but my players tend to dwell on the ball especially my wingbacks and inside forwards, any help ?
And has anyone been able to play a possessin based game with a league 2 team or equivalent because I hate 442 with a target man and poacher !

try a 4-3-3 mate its such a flexible formation!! i had great success with blyth spartans using a 4-3-3. id stick pretty much everything on rarely

Also has anyone found a way to get their midfielders more on the ball ? cant get past 40/50 passes at the moment, same with my front 3​

Last edited by johnbundock; 6 Days Ago at 03:00 PM.​
try a 4-3-3 mate its such a flexible formation!! i had great success with blyth spartans using a 4-3-3. id stick pretty much everything on rarely and allow my central striker to do as he pleased!! as league 2 teams are far inferior in passing and first touch skills id reccomend you concentrate on stagering your midfield so everyone has an option to pass too! if you pm me ur email il send you a 4-3-3 or more attacking 4-2-3-1 :) both based on possesion.

Help getting the best out of xavi

Hi Raikan, i love the idea of possesion football and keeping the ball, i have tried to make my own tactic with so many teams but have really struggled and lost paitence. I have now decided to use barcelona ( who i have never used before) to make it a little easier. I am achieving about 65% possesion but i want xavi to control the game more like he really does when he runs off the ball constantly to make space for a pass. I am playing 4-2-3-1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, I've started started making a tactic but i have two problems, One is i dont get the ball in to the final third and when i do they pass it back to the defence who then end up losing it or playing it around the half way line. How can I get them to play further up? Secondly, how can you get your full backs to be on the half way line 90% of the time as you said in the opening page? Also my defence dont seem to win the ball back when its lost too? Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:
I just tested a tactic with Barca, but the results are not to my liking.

Any tips on how to improve the passes?
Note: I used the position instructions from Short and Sweet.

Here are screenies from the match result

Last edited:
Hi Raikan, i love the idea of possesion football and keeping the ball, i have tried to make my own tactic with so many teams but have really struggled and lost paitence. I have now decided to use barcelona ( who i have never used before) to make it a little easier. I am achieving about 65% possesion but i want xavi to control the game more like he really does when he runs off the ball constantly to make space for a pass. I am playing 4-2-3-1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

move into channels/roams/normal freedom/switching positions with other players :)

Hey, I've started started making a tactic but i have two problems, One is i dont get the ball in to the final third and when i do they pass it back to the defence who then end up losing it or playing it around the half way line. How can I get them to play further up? Secondly, how can you get your full backs to be on the half way line 90% of the time as you said in the opening page? Also my defence dont seem to win the ball back when its lost too? Thanks in advanced.

play higher/run from deep often/hold up ball

hard tackling/pressing/man marking