Raikan007's Possession tactic discussion & creation centre: Hints & Tips

Guardiolaunderstudy

Did you post that tactic on this site?

Would love to try it and perhaps I then could try to increase the ccc's and provide you with the feedback about that.

Guardiolaunderstudy

Did you post that tactic on this site?

Would love to try it and perhaps I then could try to increase the ccc's and provide you with the feedback about that.
Nah mate planning on finishing this season and one with Liverpool then I'l get my hands on my swansea save on my gf comp and post the tactic! Was just looking for some generic tips! Reckon I'l just add the corner glitch and release the ******! I'm on holiday so I should be done soon :)

What you could do / try is to change one or two AMC (support) to AMC (attacking) in which you allow often forward runs and running with ball.

It could cost you some passes, but it could increase your shots on target.

Alternatively you could try to take a good looksie (meaning watching the full match) what player/position often appears outside the box where a shot from distance could have been a potential goal...if you found that player increase distance shots to normal (not high...I did that with a 4-6-0 tact. and all I did was shooting from distance).

Hope it helps...and whenever you post your tactic I am interested in testing it....oh...and enjoy your holliday :p

What you could do / try is to change one or two AMC (support) to AMC (attacking) in which you allow often forward runs and running with ball.

It could cost you some passes, but it could increase your shots on target.

Alternatively you could try to take a good looksie (meaning watching the full match) what player/position often appears outside the box where a shot from distance could have been a potential goal...if you found that player increase distance shots to normal (not high...I did that with a 4-6-0 tact. and all I did was shooting from distance).

Hope it helps...and whenever you post your tactic I am interested in testing it....oh...and enjoy your holliday :p
mm yeah that sounds good i have the same problem with my slow build up coupled with the fact i have players who like to take long shots some really good moves end up with hit and hope shots! Not doing to bad atmo nearly a third of the way tghrough the season and still havent had my dmc drop below 100 passes for a any game!!
View attachment 263756View attachment 263757
oh another question with your 4-6-0 did you have any amcs?? aml?? or was it primarily dmcs and mcs? might tinker with positions!

These stats look great. What specific instructions do you use for your players?
pretty much rarely and defensive for everyone and then through balls on sometimes for all midfielders! runs set to often on the amr! along with run with ball!

oh another question with your 4-6-0 did you have any amcs?? aml?? or was it primarily dmcs and mcs? might tinker with positions!

I had a 4-6-0 with the following set up DR-DC-DC-DL-MCr(playmaker in front of defense)-MCc(advanced playmaker)MCl(playmaker in front of defense)-AMCr(advanced playmaker)-AMCc(attacking midfielder)-AMCl(advanced playmaker).
Sadly enough I can not recall the exact settings (lost/deleted the tactic) but I do recall that my AMCc had run with ball and forward runs set to often + through balls sometimes.

I however did notice that the AMC (central) setting of Raikan's Pure Perfection is a real threat and often creates goal scoring chances.

Perhaps you could post screenies from the settings of your most passing positions, that way I (and perhaps others) can help you creating with a more threatening frontline without losing much possession (including good effective corners, free kicks and throw ins).

I myself rarely gain high passes with my tactics, but most of my tactics have 20+ shots/attempts...hopefully I can learn from your settings ^^)

edit: keep in mind that (from what I understand) high possession and passes results in slow build up...the long passes from certain players (like a defender or the goalkeeper) is a problem I have not solved myself (and it can be so freeking anoying at times lol)...the "hope" shots at goal...well...you cant have 100% ccc's and shots from in or just outside the box that nearly mis the goal are acceptable imo...desperate long distance shots that are not even close to the goal are a waste imo.

Last edited:
pretty much rarely and defensive for everyone and then through balls on sometimes for all midfielders! runs set to often on the amr! along with run with ball!

Pretty much the same instructions I use, although I'm slightly less defensive. Do you think that is why I can never get more than 70 passes from my DLP for a game? Most times it's 50... Or could it be the formation? 4-2-3-1? I've been trying possession tactics for a full season and can't seem to mass up the amount of passes a lot of you seem to get easily...

Hi Raikan, great thread. So much useful information.

I've just got my hands on the latest update for FM12 so I'm now playing 12.2, and thought I'd go for a possession heavy tactic. After reading about 37 pages of this thread, I came up with this:

View attachment 264054

I haven't done too much to the PIs, just changed run from deep settings and wide movement. I think I may have the front 6 players playing the wrong roles. My passing game has been good, but nothing like other peoples success. Admittedly, I'm only 3 games into my first season, but it's my 9th game using this tactic.

read the first 7 pages but not gonna read 44 more, will just ask so sorry if you've already covered this.

started a Chelsea save yesterday and working on a possession tactic. at home I've been really successful, averaging 70% possession, around 750 passes per game and 4-5 CCCs, but away from home it all falls apart. 38% possession against west brom in a 0-2 loss and only 2 shots in the game.

is there anything you advise changing specifically for away games? I've beaten Spurs 5-0 at home and Man City 3-0 at home too, but away I've lost to west brom and bolton

Hey Raikan.
I find myself having big trouble keeping possession, when playing away from home, no matter what team I'm playing with. I'm playing with an attacking phylosophy and fluent strategy. What would you suggest me to do? :)

raikan, what is the key to getting ur players to achieve 100+ passes, my possession is usually 60-70% play 4-1-2-2-1 fluid,control,zonal,roaming

dont get me wrong i been very successful wiv my liverpool team, played 10 season, won 6 leaugue titles, 4 champs league, 7 fa cup and 6 leugue cup, and went the whol of last season unbeaten, dont actually sound like im stuggling but my team neva plays how i want them to, ive used ur tactics and tweaked them, but the main prob is always the amount of passes my players get and stuggle to get them in the game especially my mids who very rarely get over a 7 rating.

tried so many different instructions etc but always same results, can u help???

Hi Raikan, great thread. So much useful information.

I've just got my hands on the latest update for FM12 so I'm now playing 12.2, and thought I'd go for a possession heavy tactic. After reading about 37 pages of this thread, I came up with this:

View attachment 264054

I haven't done too much to the PIs, just changed run from deep settings and wide movement. I think I may have the front 6 players playing the wrong roles. My passing game has been good, but nothing like other peoples success. Admittedly, I'm only 3 games into my first season, but it's my 9th game using this tactic.

YOU HAVE TO EDIT INDIVIDUAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR POSSESSION TACTICS (WELL PASSING POSSESSION TACTICS)

all the roles seem fine, you just have to edit them now with the tips I mentioned in the first several pages!

maybe for the two Cm's use BWM -Supports to ensure mopping up and short passing

good luck ;) oh an not so wide either, 8 clicks rather!

read the first 7 pages but not gonna read 44 more, will just ask so sorry if you've already covered this.

started a Chelsea save yesterday and working on a possession tactic. at home I've been really successful, averaging 70% possession, around 750 passes per game and 4-5 CCCs, but away from home it all falls apart. 38% possession against west brom in a 0-2 loss and only 2 shots in the game.

is there anything you advise changing specifically for away games? I've beaten Spurs 5-0 at home and Man City 3-0 at home too, but away I've lost to west brom and bolton

hahah, welcome to the crux of possession tactics, you seem to have the passing and chance creation done nicely, congrats :)

I cannot give you any advice that will keep the passing/possession/ccc's as is etc away from home, I can give you idea's on how to win away from home using other types of tactics though :) possession is a *****!

the only thing I can suggest is:

1) setting quick attacking players to run with ball more often and more through balls
2) increase the tempo and use shouts like get ball forward/pass into space

good luck

Hey Raikan.
I find myself having big trouble keeping possession, when playing away from home, no matter what team I'm playing with. I'm playing with an attacking phylosophy and fluent strategy. What would you suggest me to do? :)

hey bud, read the comment above :)

raikan, what is the key to getting ur players to achieve 100+ passes, my possession is usually 60-70% play 4-1-2-2-1 fluid,control,zonal,roaming

dont get me wrong i been very successful wiv my liverpool team, played 10 season, won 6 leaugue titles, 4 champs league, 7 fa cup and 6 leugue cup, and went the whol of last season unbeaten, dont actually sound like im stuggling but my team neva plays how i want them to, ive used ur tactics and tweaked them, but the main prob is always the amount of passes my players get and stuggle to get them in the game especially my mids who very rarely get over a 7 rating.

PPM's play an important part in this mate:

1) dictates tempo
2) plays short simple passes
3) one two's
4) stops play (helps sometimes)

set ALL instructions like through balls/long shots to NEVER! Set DEFENSIVE MENTALITY but have him on normal/high creative freedom moving into channels, set as Playmaker and TM ball to feet..

try that :)

set your playmaker to rarely on everything! and pack the midfield! ppms matter but arent essential! look at mark noble!! first year and first friendly of the save!! he only has come deep to get ball and dive into tackles as his ppms!
View attachment 264942View attachment 264943

set your playmaker to rarely on everything! and pack the midfield! ppms matter but arent essential! look at mark noble!! first year and first friendly of the save!! he only has come deep to get ball and dive into tackles as his ppms!
View attachment 264942View attachment 264943

see above post

set ALL instructions like through balls/long shots to NEVER! Set DEFENSIVE MENTALITY but have him on normal/high creative freedom moving into channels, set as Playmaker and TM ball to feet..

try that :)

nice work though, decent enough win vs a bit better team :)