Raikan007's Tactical discussion & help thread

Dear Raikan, I manage Levante on FM12, 12.0.0 version without any updates and patches. I play in 4-3-2-1 (xmas tree with 3 CMs in line) formation. Until now, the results are quite satisfying (6 place after 17 league games). Details of my tactic: fluid philosophy of play and control starting strategy. High defence line, slow tempo, narrow formation and short passes. Defence line (LB-CB-CB-RB): Side defenders set as wing backs with attack duty, Central defenders - one set as ball playing defender with defend duty, another one regular central defender with defend duty Midfield line (MCL-MC-MCR): MCL set as deep lying playmaker (by the way - my default playmaker in team settings) with support duty MC set as ball winning midfielder with defend duty MCR - b2b midfielder Attacking midfield line (AMCL-AMCR): AMCL - inside forward, attack AMCR - advanced playmaker, attack Attack line: ST - poacher My problem is that both my playmakers have very little amount of passes per game. Despite I play through the middle, most of passes have my wing backs (about 30 - 40 per game). I've finished many games with my playmakers having the smallest amount of passes from all of the players of my team. How to deal with it?

raikan, how would you play England? I'd try a 4231 but I dunno how to play the striker (should rooney [or who else?] be a poacher [or any other role you think works better]?) and the AMC (Lampard treq and swap with rooney?) Im fine with other formations (except 442 as I already tried it and want a change) if you think of something better
so.. got some ideas? (I like creative/direct/attacking play by the way)
year is 2013

Last edited:
I need some help with 442 narrow diamond i have Ganso at the tip with Ibra/Pato upfront, Ganso is best as an Advanced Playmaker Attack and Ibra as Trequartista according to the reports, but they are both performing badly and getting in each others way, i play Pato as a poacher and he's the only one who can score, can anyone give me any advice on how to get this working better?

Thanks

Last edited:
Dear Raikan, I manage Levante on FM12, 12.0.0 version without any updates and patches. I play in 4-3-2-1 (xmas tree with 3 CMs in line) formation. Until now, the results are quite satisfying (6 place after 17 league games). Details of my tactic: fluid philosophy of play and control starting strategy. High defence line, slow tempo, narrow formation and short passes. Defence line (LB-CB-CB-RB): Side defenders set as wing backs with attack duty, Central defenders - one set as ball playing defender with defend duty, another one regular central defender with defend duty Midfield line (MCL-MC-MCR): MCL set as deep lying playmaker (by the way - my default playmaker in team settings) with support duty MC set as ball winning midfielder with defend duty MCR - b2b midfielder Attacking midfield line (AMCL-AMCR): AMCL - inside forward, attack AMCR - advanced playmaker, attack Attack line: ST - poacher My problem is that both my playmakers have very little amount of passes per game. Despite I play through the middle, most of passes have my wing backs (about 30 - 40 per game). I've finished many games with my playmakers having the smallest amount of passes from all of the players of my team. How to deal with it?

this does tend to happen mate :) due to the fact your wingbacks are wingbacks and on attack duty they provide the width and are open most of the time to receive the ball :)

this is what I dont mind though, in possession tactics they tend to get the ball down in their own half of the field and provide nothing more than racking up passses...
In my tactic they are sitting on the halfway line most of the time and the only players back are my 2 cb's who sit pretty much just below the halfway line!

For you playmaker, put him in the centre of the midfield and have two similar type players next to him running around creating spaces for the pass! If I play 3 cm's I always have the central cm as the playmaker and the cm's either side of him my Carrick type roles (both Cm - support)

as you can see from the SS below that none of the rb 82 passes were in his "actual position" but much further up the field (the scoreline does not justify the dominance as well as I was busy testing my newer version out)
View attachment 201994
View attachment 201993View attachment 201993

raikan, how would you play England? I'd try a 4231 but I dunno how to play the striker (should rooney [or who else?] be a poacher [or any other role you think works better]?) and the AMC (Lampard treq and swap with rooney?) Im fine with other formations (except 442 as I already tried it and want a change) if you think of something better
so.. got some ideas? (I like creative/direct/attacking play by the way)
year is 2013
use this tactic :)

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...-might-magic%99-raikan007-20.html#post1356551

I need some help with 442 narrow diamond i have Ganso at the tip with Ibra/Pato upfront, Ganso is best as an Advanced Playmaker Attack and Ibra as Trequartista according to the reports, but they are both performing badly and getting in each others way, i play Pato as a poacher and he's the only one who can score, can anyone give me any advice on how to get this working better?

Thanks

exaclty that mate :) they occupy the same are/pocket of the field and get in each others way...

1) retrain Ibra as Amc and play him next to Pato as Treq
2) play Ibra as a Treq but change his Pi's to run from deep always :) to prevent him from dropping deep

Hi Raikan, I'm having a little problem with a tactic I'm trying to create at the moment, I wonder if you could help me out a bit. I'm trying to create a WW tactic (2-3-2-3). I am not completely sure what is going wrong, but my team doesn't seem to create a lot of CCC's. http://www.filefactory.com/file/cfd00b7/n/Wonderful_Waves_(WW_Tactic)_(Man_City,_Sep_2011).tac View attachment 201801 Thanks in advance :)

1) too attacking, drop the wb to fb and make the 2 wide strikers play upfront next to the central striker
2) you play through the middle but wide, it contradicts itself, play through the middle and normal :)
3) Silva and Nasri should be Attacking mids or advanced playmakers, Aguero could play Amc IF though and Ballotelli :)

4) dont play rigid, play balanced or fluid
5) press and zonal mark
6) drill crossing
7) more roaming
8) play deep d-line, play quicker and on the counter and wider (if you want to play like this) another member is also trying to do something similar and has the same problems..

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...enal-1930s-renovation-tactic-3-2-2-2-1-a.html

I think now that i've increased the mentality of the centre backs I'm thinking of giving everyone except for the GK, CB, Poacher and Playmaker their individual closing down to 20. The CB's and GK will have theirs set to 10 clicks from the left and the poacher and playmaker will have theirs set to 0

Hey Raikan.

Reading your post(s) about the two central midfielders and ticking the "hold up ball" box. Would this also work when playing i prety high tempo attacking game. Im just afraid that they would hold up the ball for too long during the occasional counter attack and just waste possesion. I havent tried ticking hold up ball yet but what do you think - i am not all that for changing the tempo as it seems to work - although i must say that sometimes the odd quick pass seems to be played right in to the oppositions feet.

View attachment 202040View attachment 202041View attachment 202042

Oh and one last question - do you think it would be better to change the 2 midfielders postion around so the DLP is on the right side instead) it might seem as i have a more attacking CMr and an inside forward who cuts inside and Messi dropping deep from the STr position that they get in each others way - Its has been working ok so far though.View attachment 202043

your thoughts are appreciated - Thanks!!

hey bud, you see that is two different type of styles you are reffering to so when you change to the quicker attacking style then untick hold up ball if you have it etc :)

when holding up the ball, this allows all the other players (attacking) to get into better attacking positions before he plays it off! if you have 1 cm doing that in the above mentioned style, then this will allow all your players to join the attack better than you just going all out..

yes it does, but that is real life :) Anderson is a prime example of that! he just passes the ball straight back to the opponents sometimes! there is nothing to prevent that!

yeah do that, this will ensure there is more space in the centre and the Ap (now Mcl) and the IF can attack together through the centre to a certain extent

Just to make sure i get it.

So while still maintaining the high tempo it would be ok to have one of the cm's Holding up the Ball? Preferably the DLP i would Think right? And have the other cm NOT Holding up the Ball.. I Will try it out.

Thanks - your the man:)

1) too attacking, drop the wb to fb and make the 2 wide strikers play upfront next to the central striker

Well, placing the wb to fb and making the 2 wingers to central strikers would make it a whole different tactic than a WW tactic. That was my great problem. I want to make it a WW and that just requires wingbacks. I will try the different points :)

I don't think I have been very clear about my strategy in my first post. Here's what I am trying to accomplish in a nut-shell.
View attachment 202099
Red respresents the movement of the players. Black the movement of the ball.

1. I want the Wingers to cut inside and the IF's to pass the ball in the space behind the defenders where the Wingers run too. I want the Wingbacks then to go deep along the sideline (Not necessary, but would be great). The striker would have to drop a bit, to create space behind the defenders. 2. In this picture I have also included the movement lines of the IF's. That movement would be possible if the Wingers would stay wide and the IF would pass the ball towards the Striker, who would then give the through ball towards the IF that goes deep. 3. Wingers get the ball and pass it into space for the striker to run at it. Is this in any way doable? I can understand that it isn't possible to do them all, but my guess is that it would be possible to create a tactic that can do one of those.

PS. The movement line of the Striker only is for #3. For the rest of them it should be that he drops a bit, instead of going deep.

Last edited:
1) Hey Raikan, usede your Might and Magic tactic with my manchester United. I'm trying to make the Carrick role similar to the way Tom Cleverley played at the start. He plays opne two passes \ lot more and made our attack quikcer, is there any way I can modify the Carrick rle to suit Tom more?

2) Also I made A Barca tactic with like this

.........................................................Valdes (sweeper)............................................................
.........................Puyol (Limited defender).......Pique (Ball Playing Defender)........Abidal (full Back)........
Alves (Wing back).............................Busquets (Anchor Man).........................................................
.....................................Xavi (DlP)..............................Iniesta (Advanced Playmaker).....................
.....Pedro (Inside Forward)....................................................................Villa (inside forward)...........
.....................................................Messi (DLF).........................................................................

I'm trying to get Xavi more involved and make him get 100 passes a game, he isn't as dynamic as he is irl. In your short and sweet tactic you said that I should make him advanced playmaker, what settings should I do for my MF Trio to enable Xavi to get a 100 passes? Also I tried making Al;ves a wing back as his Averag position in Barca is just above the halfway line but I'm failing as well. Cheers mate.

Last edited:
Hey Raikan i'm using Ganso at the tip of my diamond as adv playmaker with Cavani as a Target man & Pato as a poacher but i really need help with Ganso/Cavani individual instructions do they run from deep/move into channels/run with ball?

Thanks man

Need some advice on adjusting my tactic. Currently playing Spurs and here is the screenshot of it..

View attachment 202145

My aim - to make another 2 tactic (1-vs higher rated teams and 2-defend a lead) using the same formation and roles.
Have this changes to be made in mind. Your opinion appreciated..

1st Tactic - vs lower or similar rated teams
The screenshot

2nd Tactic - vs higher rated teams
(My aim is to be solid in defend, control attacking game and create ccc)
Philosophy - Balanced
Strategy - Control
Def Line, Width and Tempo - 1 click lower

3rd Tactic - defend a lead
(Make sure didn't concede and try to counter attack sometimes)
Philosophy - Balanced
Strategy - Counter
Def Line, Width and Tempo - 2 clicks lower than 2nd tactic
Time wasting - 1 click on often

* most of the players instruction are the default one...

Please let me know what you think. Thanks mate.. (H)(H)

1) Hey Raikan, usede your Might and Magic tactic with my manchester United. I'm trying to make the Carrick role similar to the way Tom Cleverley played at the start. He plays opne two passes \ lot more and made our attack quikcer, is there any way I can modify the Carrick rle to suit Tom more?

2) Also I made A Barca tactic with like this

.........................................................Valdes (sweeper)............................................................
.........................Puyol (Limited defender).......Pique (Ball Playing Defender)........Abidal (full Back)........
Alves (Wing back).............................Busquets (Anchor Man).........................................................
.....................................Xavi (DlP)..............................Iniesta (Advanced Playmaker).....................
.....Pedro (Inside Forward)....................................................................Villa (inside forward)...........
.....................................................Messi (DLF).........................................................................

I'm trying to get Xavi more involved and make him get 100 passes a game, he isn't as dynamic as he is irl. In your short and sweet tactic you said that I should make him advanced playmaker, what settings should I do for my MF Trio to enable Xavi to get a 100 passes? Also I tried making Al;ves a wing back as his Averag position in Barca is just above the halfway line but I'm failing as well. Cheers mate.

Try making Alves defensive winger with attack(tweak mentalities a bit), that way he is defending and attacking a lot. I tried it and it worked nicely, tho I then decided to make him again a wingback.. Also regarding CM's and Xavi movement, play narrow and put ur playmakers to move into channels, mebbey it will help. Either keep Xavi as DLP or make him AP with Support.

How does everyone else set up the players individual closing down? I've currently got it as

GK - 4 clicks from the left
FB 14 clicks from the left
CB 4 clicks from the left
CM(defend) 16 clicks from the left
CM(playmaker) 0
W- 16 clicks from the left
DLF 14 clicks from the left
P 0

I also have the following mentalities

GK - 3
FB - 3
CB - 3
CM(defend) - 6
CM(playmaker) - 16
W - 14
DLF - 12
P - 18

The assistant manager constantly tells me in his feedback that there is a big gap between the defence and midfield which the opposition can exploit. So was wondering how you guys would set up the mentality.